Manuel Neuer: Mad Manuel or Kahn 2.0 ?

blurps11

I'm shocked there hasn't been a thread about this guy for years. Neuer is one of the brightest goalkeeper prospects in world football and arguably the best sweeper keeper at the start of FM2010 !

K_WI_N3252.jpg

Neuer joined FC Schalke 04 in 1991 at the age of 5 (!) and has risen through the ranks to be the club's number one keeper as well as a competitor for the German posts since then.

According to his own website as well as the DFB ( German FA ) one he is towering at 190 cm, Fm2010 lists him at 193 cm for some reason. As a player Manuel Neuer is the epitome of the modern keeper: brilliant on the line but also blessed with a unique understanding of the beautiful game.

In his best moments he adds the unparalleled determination and leadership of Oliver Kahn to the individual brilliance and vision of "Mad" Jens Lehmann. I've never seen any keeper initiating counter attacks with quick throws like Neuer in my lifetime either, his "Throwing" stat should be at about 40 :D

At the start of the 2009/10 season Neuer is 23 years old, has

88 Bundesliga matches,

5 DFB-Pokal matches ( similar to the English FA Cup ),

10 Champions League matches and

5 UEFA-Cup matches

under his belt.

Irl he played every single minute in Bundesliga for Schalke 04 in the 2009/10 season so far.

He also won the U21-Championship in 2009, starting every match for Germany, culminating in a memorable 4:0 trouncing of England in the final. Neuer gave his seniour international debut on 2nd of June 2009 against the UAE. Currently he is considered to be second choice to Bayer Leverkusen's Rene Adler.

Let's have a look at his starting stats in 10.2:

neuerbars.jpg

neuernumbers.jpg

Doesn't get any better if you're playing with a high defensive line and need a smart keeper behind it !

Reasonable eccentricity and first touch. But poor decision-making and especially pace, so not a good sweeper keeper imo. A pacy striker will get to the ball before him.

Concentration is also low for a top keeper. There are better choices around, surely.

I don't think he can be consider a 'prospect' at age 23.

In all fairnes keepers peak at the age of 28-32, so at 23 he is 5 years younger than the peak.

Compared to strikers who peak 26-29. Take 5 years of that and there 21.

So in goalkeeping terms you can call him a prospect.

Just look at Areola when first bought at 16 he is nothing. But thats cus he would be like 14 compared to other positions. Well thats how i see it anyway.

wth. In longterm saves the least you can get for him is 30m+ and the most is a world class keeper in your posts.

Areola gets world class every game if you get him tutored successfully. The problem is he often dislikes his tutors and generally doesnt learn too fast. I usually need 2-3 seasons to make him professional with 16+ determination. Greece 2004 gk Antonis nikopolidis is a great cheap tutor for him (38 at the start of the game and 4,5* tactics / gk coach later in all my games) and he always likes Ochoa as well.

So far he had differences with adler and lloris for me.

I see what you mean, but Areola is **** anyway, never turns out any good. Unless you want to prove me wrong?

OT, Neuer looks brilliant tbh, and actually looks better than Adler/Akinfeev due to having better ability aerially. Anyone got hold of him, how much does he cost?

Check the Areola thread. He requires some intensive training and tutorage. But he becomes the best goalkeeper in the world after Cassillas and Buffon etc retire.

• 3 months later...

I signed him on earlier patches and he was brilliant, one of the best on the game.

It is just so hard to get him early on, due to his absolute love for his club. Loyalty attribute must be about 20 :cool:

I signed him on earlier patches and he was brilliant, one of the best on the game.

It is just so hard to get him early on, due to his absolute love for his club. Loyalty attribute must be about 20 :cool:

I wasn't after him (happy with Ustari and Gomes) but mid August, Schalke offered him out for that price. He was unhappy, on the list by request. Probably because they have been awful for the last 3 years. Couldn't resist the signing, even though it means the end of Gomes.

I see what you mean, but Areola is **** anyway, never turns out any good. Unless you want to prove me wrong?

OT, Neuer looks brilliant tbh, and actually looks better than Adler/Akinfeev due to having better ability aerially. Anyone got hold of him, how much does he cost?

My areola, he is not world class yet but he is only 22.

areola.jpg

Was reading this thread and was sure that it was about Adler, I tend to put these two in the same pot, both German GKs, both young and big prospects, both error prone, Adler is better but they are all the same to me XD

Was reading this thread and was sure that it was about Adler, I tend to put these two in the same pot, both German GKs, both young and big prospects, both error prone, Adler is better but they are all the same to me XD

They are very different players though, in game as irl. Adler is excellent on the line while Neuer is a brilliant sweeper keeper.

On my save, in 2013, Schalke are desperately trying to get rid of him for some reason - have been offering him to other clubs almost every month for some £3 mil. No one is interested though, probably because of his high wage expectations.

• 2 weeks later...
are you watching all those keepers regularly?

i do, so i can judge this.

just wait for the world cup and see who is better

Stupid me. There I was thinking this was the gptg forum for fm where we discuss players merits in game. Obviously I've stumbled into the football forum ;)

and for the record the joys of espn mean I have watched a lot of both. But I'll keep my real life assesment in the appropriate place.

back on topic, Neuer goes from strength to strength, double euro keeper of the year and a fixture in the world team of the year.

Archived