FM10 Official Plymouth Argyle Thread!

whitehurst2008

Club Background

Founded in 1886, Plymouth Argyle are a professional English club currently playing in the Coca-Cola Championship. The club play their home games at Home Park and posses average training facilities and an average youth setup. The club is affectionately known as The Pilgrims and retains a fierce rivalry with Exeter City.

As a club which is currently enjoying its best ever spell of success – their last competition win coming as recently as 2004 – The Pilgrims are a club with a growing history. Plymouth won the English 3rd tier in 1959 and 2004 and finished runners-up on two occasions, won the English 4th tier for the only time in 2002, won the English 7th tier on five occasions, and won the Western Premier in 1905, 1928 and 1932 and finished runners-up once.

Club Information

Nation: England

Year Founded: 1886

Chairmen Status: Loves the club

Legends: None

Icons: Paul Wotton, Graham Coughlan, Dario Friio, Micky Evans, Romain Larrieu, Kevin Hodges, Tommy Tynan, Paul Sturrock, Paul Mariner, David Norris

Favoured Personnel: None

Fierce Rivals: Exeter

Other Rivals: Bristol City, Cardiff, Portsmouth, Bristol Rovers

Finances: Okay

Average Ticket Price: £23.00

Average Season Ticket Price: £357

Season Ticket Holders: 6000

Estimated Value: £8.5M

Continental Competition: None

Media Prediction: 21st

Squad Personality: Determined

Captain: Carl Fletcher

Vice-Captain: Carl Duguid

Kits

374homeshirt.jpg

[H]

Away-SS-Shirt.jpg

[A]

The Squad

Romain Larrieu [GK]

Kyle Letheren [GK]

Lloyd Saxton [GK]

Darcy Blake [D R, M C]

Chris Barker [D L]

Gary Sawyer [D LC]

Jim Paterson [D L, M LC]

Reda Johnson [D C]

Marcel Seip [D C]

Krisztian Timar [D C]

David McNamee [D/WB R]

Karl Duguid [D/WB R, M RC]

Carl Fletcher [DM, M C]

Yoann Folly [DM, M C]

Kari Arnason [M RC]

Chris Clark [M RLC]

Alan Judge [M RC]

Luke Summerfield [M C]

Bradley Wright-Phillips [AM RL, FC]

Craig Noone [AM L]

Alan Gow [AM L, ST]

Jamie Mackie [AM L, ST]

Steve MacLean [AM/F C]

Ashley Barnes [sT]

Rory Fallon [sT]

Cillian Sheridan [sT]

Finances

Transfer Budget: £600,000

% of transfer revenue made available: 90%

Sponsors: 2 year additional kit sponsorship deal at £250K per season, ends 2011. 2 year main kit sponsorship deal at £325K per season. Ends 2011.

Club Balance: £3,370,715

Mid Table Finish: Transfer Budget; 800k, Wage Budget; 88k

Stadium & Facilities

Plymouth-Argyle-Home-Park-General-View_2387045.jpg

Name: Home Park

Capacity: 19430 all-seater

Year Built: 1903

Owned By: Plymouth

Stadium Condition: Good

Under Soil Heating: No

Roof: No

Surface: Grass

Pitch Dimensions: Length: 100m, Width: 71m

Maximum Pitch Dimensions: Length: 104, Width: 71m

Pitch Condition: Very Good

Corporate Facilities: Adequate corporate facilities

Training Facilities: Average training facilities

Youth Facilities: Average youth facilities

Staff

Chairman: Roy Gardner

Man Dir: Keith Todd

Director: George Synan

Director: Yasuaki Kagai

Director: Paul Stapleton

Director: Tony Wrathall

Director: Robert Dennerley

Manager: You

Asst Mgr: Paul Mariner

Coach: John Blackley

Gk Coach: Geoff Crudgington

Fitness Coach: Scott Russell

Youth Coach: Mike Pejic

Youth Coach: Gordon Bennett

Youth Coach: John James

Youth Coach: Allan Evans

Youth Coach: Peter Distin

Physio: Paul Maxwell

Physio: Claire Turner

Scout: Andy King

Scout: Patrick Quirke

Scout: Tony Book

Conclusion

Whilst Argyle probably isn’t a popular choice for FM managers, they are one of my favourite clubs to manage. Also, I’m off to the University of Plymouth next year and plan on getting a season ticket down there so playing as them on FM will give me a chance to learn a little bit about the club and the players. I don’t have much advice or additional information to offer you at the moment, I’m hoping other people will contribute.

I have only started my FM season with Argyle 4 days ago now, so am just experimenting. I’ll be looking to update the post below with tactics and any other information which I find useful.

Thanks for reading & good luck with your Argyle season!

• The above was taken from an existing OP credited by
Dano which has since been merged with the current Plymouth thread which is below.

SQUAD ANALYSIS

Goalkeeper: Romain Larrieu is an Argyle legend, he is good enough for the championship but needs cover, Letheren is poor and needs replacing.

Defence: Marcel Seip is a great defender but with him currently being out on loan with Blackpool the defence isn’t too good. Mcnamee and Barker are sound fullbacks and have good cover in Sawyer, Duguid, Blake, Gray, Paterson and Clark. Timar and Johnson are very similar players, both big and strong so a centre half is needed until Seip returns.

Wingers: Alan Gow and Alan Judge are both fantastic players, alot of your teams goals will be provided by these two. Clark and Paterson provide good cover whilst Mackie and BWP can also play here.

Centre Midfield: Carl Fletcher is a great leader and player, and Arnason compliments him very well. These two will provide a very good midfield and have good cover in Duguid, Clark, Paterson and Folly.

Forwards: Mackie is a great team player but does lack finishing quality, the same goes to BWP. Fallon is a decent target man and Sheridan provides good cover. Maclean is a goalscorer but lacks consistency. A striker is needed.

POTENTIAL PLAYERS

Craig Noone: Send him out on loan, could be a good player.

Luke Summerfield: Very good prospect, needs games and experience.

Ashley Barnes: Should be sold for a good profit.

Liam Head: Very good young players, needs to be sent out on loan for a few seasons.

Joe Mason: As Above

Jason Puncheon: One of Plymouths best players, yet is out on loan at MK Dons, Big player 2nd season.

PLAYERS I RECCOMMEND:

Mark Viduka (Free)

Rudi Skacel (Free)

Henri Camara (Free)

Mark Randall (Loan)

Darren Gibson (Loan)

I dont know how to, i just made this as all my saves are basically argyle as im a big fan. could a mod maybe do it?

Mate What you have to do is a get a google image of the plymouth badge

and then it would be this (and this is the actual link with a badge) *LINK*

No im playing as Rushden. Currently in my pre season after double promotions in league 1 (3 Seasons in). I have just brought in Makie and Punch on frees and hope they can come good!

ps. You'll be pleased to hear plymouth have retained their championship status....so far with little player signings, so the current squad will be good enough for league consolidation in the game.

• 1 month later...

Ive had a really good argyle season myself, i found selling Seip (£2m) and Ashley Barnes (£1.5m) i managed to rebuild the team nicely and secure a playoff finish in my first season

Their quite nice to play with really, secured Christian Vieri on a free - He may not be physically there any more but he's a wiley old thing and knows where the goal is!

I'm playing as Plymouth - got promoted in 3 seasons. Had to entirely rebuild the squad, basically all i've got left from the original squad now i'm in my 4th season is Summerfield, Mackie and Arnason!!

Currently 'attempting to avoid relegation' from the Premiership!!

I'm playing as Plymouth - got promoted in 3 seasons. Had to entirely rebuild the squad, basically all i've got left from the original squad now i'm in my 4th season is Summerfield, Mackie and Arnason!!

Currently 'attempting to avoid relegation' from the Premiership!!

:p Nice to see a few managers have the green army up where they belong!

I managed a jammy second season promotion - im now in my 4th :p and ched evans is a goal machine - mid table prem

First to win the elusive premier league gets a cookie

Tips from my first season for other managers playing as argyle - Get "Verratti" check him out on other forum posts, fantastic AMC (Possibly becomes best in the game) - will cost you under 500k and will be better then most CM's at the club instantly

Angel was also brilliant for me up front - 200k bargain

Christian Vieri - Free transfer - Maybe old but knows where the net is!

right, for ages ive wanted to be Plymouth, because of the decent budget you get, the thing is, I tend to then sell all the players, and look to rebuild the whole squad? is this a bad thing? or shall I gradually reduce the team, then gradually rebuild it? im looking to buy Verrati, Hooper and a couple of other players? First season?

anyone with any recommendations on formations?

who to sell?

who to buy?

Well, I'm not a Plymouth fan, and certainly no expert, but as always i started my 10.2 save unemployed and took the Plymouth hotseat upon receiving the offer.

First thing I did was to cancel the Blake / Sheridan loans. This frees up a little extra room in wage expenses to around the 13k mark. I see Alan Judge as too good to send back.

I've listed the two young 'keepers - they're never going to make the grade - and snapped up the experienced Ian Walker on a free. I've also listed Folly.

I've made an approach to an Australian midfielder Kasey Wehrman who i've never heard of but looks very capable at this level, and also approached several unattached youngsters after viewing the England Trialists game.

I've signed kyle Naughton on loan to cover McNamee and am considering a loan offer for Darron Gibson should the Wehrman offer fall thru'.

Other potential free transfers are Sol Campbell, Mark Viduka, Theo Lucius, Abubakari Yakubu to name but a few.

@ITFC 1: as this squad is pretty ungelled, if your going to rebuild completely now is the time. The onus for me is always on a gelled squad. So gradual rebuilding always gets my vote.

I've gone for a simple 4-4-2 formation with very rigid philosophy playing direct pressing football. So far in pre-season have observed the following:

Fletcher (box to box supporting roll) and Duguid / Arnason (ball winning defensive roll) make good pairings in the middle.

According the the attributes highlighted in the creator, Rory Fallon has excellent stats to perform as a supporting target man and has so far performed well with Jamie Mackie playing as an attacking poacher.

I'm not overly impressed with my wing play so far. With the direct play of my defenders and defensive midfield pair these guys need to perform in the attacking third if we want to get the ball to my forwards.

Due to being one the unfortunate gamers suffering with the crash dump farce I haven't got very far but consolidating our position in the championship and hopefully producing enough young talent on which success can be based.

That said, game play will be very limited until this memory leakage thingy gets sorted.

Bye for now.

DanielCalter. Reference the crash dump. Have you tried playing the game in Windows mode? It seems to have made a difference for me. Also, I have only just started a save with Plymouth. I started unemployed with no transfers in the first window. I was offered Plymouth in the first week and took it. I shall have a bit more information about my signings, only "frees" and "loans" because of the no transfer rule, tomorrow. I have signed Ian Walker on a "free". It is my intention to go with a "sweeper" system, so I have made "offer to sign" bids for three sweepers.

By tomorrow, I shall have got up to my second league match, which means that I shall have played about eight to ten matches using a "sweeper" system. Hopefully, by then, I should have some idea whether or not it might work. I'll post again after those matches.

DanielCalter. Reference the crash dump. Have you tried playing the game in Windows mode?

Thanks, yes i've tried playing in windowed mode. This does improve it but it still happens. It seems to happen if I navigate away from the match day screen mid-game. If I avoid doing this I should be ok.

Best of luck with your Plymouth side.

Plymouth have now played two league games, Crystal Palace [a] won 2-1 and QPR [h] won 2-0. In the League Cup, we beat Yeovil Town [a] 5-3 in a rather bizarre high scoring match. We were 4-1 ahead with twenty minutes to go and yeovil got back to 3-4, before we managed to get the final goal immediately after Yeovil got their third.

My friendlies were as follows, Beith [a] won 8-1, Tiverton [a] won 4-0, Leyton Orient [a] 0-0, Stenhousemuir [a] won 3-0. These games were played with a 4-4-2 formation as I had not got my "sweeper" at that time. Crewe [a] 0-0 and Truro [a] won 3-0. I don't count the friendlies towards anything other than to sort out my best available team and as I only got the "sweeper" formation together for the Crewe game, so it is rather difficult to assess the merits of the formation.

I have brought in the following players, in addition to Ian Walker, all on "frees". Brahim Hemdani, [sw], Rene van Dieren [wb], Alvaro Tejero [wb] and Bertrand Bossu [gk]. I've had to bring in Bossu because Larrieu is out for another 6-8 weeks. My next five league games are the defining ones, I think. They are, Cardiff City [h], Derby County [a], Sheffield Wednesday [h], W.B.A. [a] and Watford [h] I am still hoping to bring in another sweeper as I have managed to bring in only Hemdani. I desperately need cover for him. Right then, that's about it for now. I shall post again after the Watford match which should, by then, have provided me with a much improved idea of my "sweeper"system If anyone wants to know more about the "sweeper" formation, please ask. It is only really three versions of the ingame formation. It is certainly not a "win-all" formation.

Daniel Calter, thankyou very much for your input there, does mean alot and I shall take it on board with my following season. What patch you playing on?

Secondly, Kaedex? how the hell have you brought Verratti in your first season? ive tried on both patches, and on both of them, he wont join me? soo? would you like to enlighten me on how you made the purchase?

What annoys me is, Im trying to Buy Gary Hooper from Scunthorpe, and well, he rejects everytime, I praise him etc etc, but, PLymouth, are a proven Championship team. However, on my Peterborough save, he joined me straight away, no praise, no nothing? and there predicted to finish 23rd :S?

I have been playing as Plymouth again the last week or so and have just completed my first season where i have won promotion to the premier league. I first sorted out all the dead wood on the playing staff and coaching team. Folly, Clark, Sheridan, Maclean, Letheren, Paterson and a few others all went and raised about 1.2 million and cleared alot for wages. I also got rid of alot of the coaching team and replaced them with others. I then signed Henri Camara, Smolarek, Skacel, Randall (loan), Lauren, Chester (loan) and Barazite (loan). Playing a 4-4-2 with control and fluid for most games i was extremely successful. Smolarek and Camara scored for fun with Gow, Skacel and Judge impressing on the wings. Arnasson and Fletcher were very solid all season with Barazite, Randall and Merida covering them throughout the season. Barker and Lauren were excellent full backs and suprisingly Reda Johnson was outstanding alongside Chester. Duguid, Timar, Mackie and Sawyer played very little and were sold at the end of the season. I will keep you updated with my first season in the prem, i have just drawn 1-1 away at Portsmouth with Smolarek scoring again.

Tips i would give for first season; Change the coaching staff, Use the loan system wisely (you can have many different players on loan for 3 months throughout the season) Get Smolarek!!

Ive also just finished the first season with Plymouth Finishing 2nd Just;) , Started Slowly Losing and Drawing picking up the odd win , but after January my team went on a unbeaten run until the end of the season apart from a 5 - 0 loss to sheff wed.

Reccomend getting Rid of Seip,Timar,Barnes

Bring in Viduka(FREE), Gharzoul(ABSOLUTE LEGEND , 500k COST, Now getting bids of 2m!) , Ze Antonio (Easy 110K) Vidal (500k, Amazing RB)

right, im now going to start a season with Plymouth, I plan on sacking all backroom staff, and bringing in my own. Secondly, I plan on selling more than half of the squad, raising sufficent funds to rebuild the whole squad, and cemment a decent, top-half finish for the first season, going in to the second season with hopes and admiration of trying to reach the promised land!

Ill keep you all updated, wish me luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I just started a career game where I start unemployed. Plymouth were without a manager so I went for the job and got it :)

Transfers in:

Darron Gibson (CM) - Loan (Solid CM, and grabbing a few goals)

Glauber (CB) - Free

Michael Ball (LB) - Free (Experienced LB)

Adnan Barakat (LM) - 180k (Scored a free kick on his debut)

Abubakari Yakubu (RB) - Free (Determined player. Speaks english so fitting in well)

Yannis Tafer (FW) - Loan (Young but hungry goal scorer)

Transfers Out:

Folly - Cadiz - 95k

Chris Clark - Brighton - 150k

Both sold because their wage did not reflect their talent

League:

P7 W4 D1 L2 Pts13

So far so good :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello fellow Plymouthonians. Being a member of the Green Army I always take on the task of Plymouth Argyle - however hard it is, and on FM10 I've had quite a bit of success. I've currently had 4 seasons, One in the Championship, and four in the Premiership.

Season One. The squad to begin with is pretty much crap, however don't get rid of too many players - they all come in useful at some point.

Ins:

Craig Cathcart (Loan) Man UTD

Sergi (£28k) Textil Escudo. This guy Is Quality ;)

Chris Basham (Loan) Bolton

Nacer Barazite (Loan) Arsenal

Richard Hughs (Free) Portsmouth

Victor Anichebe (Loan) Everton

Outs: None.

I played the "Spaceship" Tactic which worked relativity well and finished 3rd, beating Sheff UTD to get promoted.

Season Two: Lots of Championship garbage to get rid of provided a decent transfer kitty, mostly aimed for a struggle against relegation

Ins:

David Gray (Free)

Gabriel Tamas (£2.1m) Aj Auxerre

Bogdan Stancu (Loan Fee £525k) Steau

Robert Lewandowski (£4.2m) Lech

Stefano Okaku (Loan Fee £2.9m) Roma

Chris Hogg (£1m) Hibernian

Fernando (Loan Fee £300k) Bordeaux

Albin Edkal (Loan Fee £2.9m) Juventus

Joey Didulica (£500k) AZ

Michel Morganella (Loan Fee £240k) Palmero

Mattia Destro (Loan Fee £450k) Inter

Darron Gibson (Loan fee £275k)

All this game out at a heavy £15.5m

Outs: Yoann Folly, Chris Clark, Simon Walton, David MacNamee, Rory Fallon, Jim Paterson, Ashley Barnes, Karl Duguid.

I went with a heavily defensive tactic this season looking to counter attack any team at any point. Shooties 4-2-2-2.

The heavy transfer fee's and wages were all worth it finishing 10th.

Season 3: I really wanted to push toward Europe, so again had to spend big bucks

In: Hugo Viana, Danny Wilson (Quality) Yannis Tafer, Iain Turner, Kevin Thomson, Micheal Johnson, Bogdan Stancu, Fernando, Gretar Steinsson (Biggest Mistake of my career)

Pushed out the window was: Steinsson, Alan Gow, Timar, Larrieu, Barker, Maclean, Seip, Summerfield and Noone.

I went with a more attacking system: 10:3 Beta Wizard - or something or other. This worked and I finished a lovely 5th and managed my spot in Europe.

Next Season: Title Push.

In: Romelu Lukaku (AMAZING), Graham Dorrans, Yannis Tafer, John Ruddy, Lukovic,

Out: Reda Johnson, Carl Fletcher, Damien Johnson, Gary Sawyer, Brad Wright-Phillips, Craig Noone, Bolaise and Donnelly.

Used the same system as the season before and finished 4th. I think I dropped out the Europa League Quite Early which wasn't too great.

Current Season: I'm 1st in the League after 12 Games with 12 wins.

Ins: Jose Angel, Wayne Bridge, Luca Cigriani, Yoann Gourcuff (FREE!), Gojko Gacar

Hope this has been of help to you budding youth Argolians. GREEN ARMY!

• 3 months later...

Ive started my game with Argyle (10.3)

IN

Craig Cathcart - Defender - Man Utd - Loan £0

Marc Muniesa - Defender - Barcelona - £80k

Bryan Hughes - Midfield - Free

Tom Heaton - Goalkeeper - Man Utd - Loan £0

Fabio Borini - Striker - Chelsea - Loan £0

Fredrik Stoor - Defender - Fulham - Loan £0

Jay McEvely - Defender - Derby - £250k

Christian Vieri - Striker - Free

OUT

None

6th Sept

P5 W5 D0 L0 GF13 GA6 Points15

Starting Team

Heaton

Stoor Cathcart R.Johnson McEveley

Judge D.Johnson Arnason Hughes

Mackie Cooper/Vieri

cool cool wont be a waste of time writing in here after all lol in my second season with them now (started game with 10.3 plus cromscott update) was crowned champions of league one after was tipped for midtable finished, started second season as tipped for relegation but have made a couple of really good signings due to certain clubs being relgated to the championship. any ways im sitting second in the champ behind blackpool , i have been dominate force at home with only a couple of losses oh and forgot to say im in feburary now.

will get some pics of my signings in a bit

You will need a RB - maybe get David Gray on loan from Manchester UTD

Noone is ok on the left but might want to bring someone in and I would get someone on the right as I don't think Bolasie is good enough yet.

Seip and Arnason are fine for CB and Bhasera is a quality LB/WB

I would def have Johnson in midfield and Summerfield actually does quite well on the game for me.

BWP scores quite a few and Patterson is a good backup.

Good luck!

im playin on the 10.3 patch so still in the championship.. i signed rodrigio possebon from man utd on loan and also craig catcart.. also signed martijn reuser for lw.. im not doing to bad sitting 10th with 20 games gone but were too inconsistant hoping to grab a play off spot

I'm originally a Plymouthian so I always have a bash with them to normally get frustrated at the lack of funds and go for someone in the prem, however, I'd had a go now and plan to keep this save going until FM11.

First season for me is all about survival with the poor squad, my coaches recommended 4-1-3-2 which has worked to keep me up and progressing, I've rung the changes through the squad and 2nd season is looking semi-promising:

Season 1 - Championship 11th, FA Cup 3rd Round, League Cup 2nd Round

Players Out:

McNamee - Peterborough £180k

Duguid - Brighton £120k

Clark - Brighton £200k

Noone - Shrewsbury £65k

Folly - Anorthosi £110k

Mason - Shakhtar £625k

Players in:

Anton Zlogar - Omonoia - £40k

Jakub Wawrzyniak - Legia - £80k

Ivaylo Petkov - Litex - £28k

John Bostock - Tottenham - Loan

Nacer Barazite - Arsenal - Loan

Magnus Eikrem - Man Utd - Loan

I'm currently in November in season 2, a bad start to the season means I am W7 D3 L7, although I've scraped through to the quarters of the league cup where I'll face Liverpool away. I have some high profile signings which I'll summarise at the end of season two.

I'm playing, currently in second season, finished 8th first season.

Been a bit of a squad reconstruction scrapping around for money; had Gaston Fernandez last season who was a monster upfront with Vieri but i sold him off for 7 mil and Vieri has declined a lot.

Managed to get alot of frees in including Hamit Altintop and Morientes but theres been some problems with squad harmony, hopefully the squad settles down within the season and i can push for promotion.

Anybody any ideas about how generous the chairman gets as the seasons go on as a good chairman was one of my reasons for picking Plymouth?

I'm playing, currently in second season, finished 8th first season.

Been a bit of a squad reconstruction scrapping around for money; had Gaston Fernandez last season who was a monster upfront with Vieri but i sold him off for 7 mil and Vieri has declined a lot.

Managed to get alot of frees in including Hamit Altintop and Morientes but theres been some problems with squad harmony, hopefully the squad settles down within the season and i can push for promotion.

Anybody any ideas about how generous the chairman gets as the seasons go on as a good chairman was one of my reasons for picking Plymouth?

SRG should be quite generous money wise. If you get to the Premier League you'll get quite a bit I reckon!

I just finished my second season, Finished a pretty good 13th in championship and considering I was tipped for relegation due to it being my first season in championship, it went pretty well, Plus the board are well chuffed .. Managed to make a good few signings

I signed this guy from Argentinos while I was still in league one, Personally I wasn't sure if he could make the step up to championship but he did pretty well

pavlovich.jpg

Got this player on a free from Porto while I was in league one, Not sure I'll be able to keep him with the likes of spurs and sevilla sniffing around him, Plus my chairman sells my best players lol

bekdemir.jpg

Signed from ajax reserves while I was in league one, He's a moody player and can be disruptive but he's been a rock in midfield

lindgren.jpg

This guy is pretty well known, got him for 1.5mil from Slavia Prague when I was promoted to championship, If im being honest I think i'll lose him to a bigger club, The guys class

belaid.jpg

• 1 month later...

hey people started up another plymouth game couple days ago due to other getting curopt some how :( but anyways just finished my second season in the championship finished 1st i was also tipped to go back to league 1 (like post above this one) now im in the prem with no debt and was amazed at how much i was alowwed to spend. if i sed il finish top of the prem i would have got 43m to spend!!!! but i opted for avoid relegation and got 28m which is still pretty good considering iv just bought 7 players for less then 4m

• 2 weeks later...

Archived