"I've seen him score better ones in training"

So I've just been asked what I thought of my players goal.

It was a tap in so I didn't think it warranted the "It was spectacular" option or something along those lines so I chose the "I've seen him score better ones in training".

My player has now reacted badly to it! How is that a negative answer, the game considered it a great goal so saying "I've seen him score better ones in training" is surely a compliment?!

Well, it's kinda both..

On one hand you're saying he's an incredible player, (because he can do better)..

On the other hand you're saying this goal wasn't very special.

Clearly the player think it is, and focuses on the negative comment..

i believe these interactions are meant to be seen from a bit wider angle than just that particular goal. you should take in account the personality, and age to an extent, of player. highly professional player who is in his prime and is expected to score goals shouldn't be praised. however, if you have a young player that is on verge of breaking into team, praise is ok.

also, just because he reacted negatively, it doeasn't mean it is a bad thing. he might be up to prove you wrong in next game. depending on circumstances.

For me it's praise, praise, praise. If l give them a rollicking it happens in private. I'd sooner gush over a tap-in than run the risk of dealing with a dressing room sulkatron.

I can see why you're annoyed, though. The FM media interaction doesn't convey your wry smile, and takes your comment at face value. I tend to avoid anything that's potentially ambiguous, media-wise. It's a bit gamey, but there we are.

You're basically saying "Meh, the goal wasn't that special. I've seen him score great ones in training." If the player thought it was a great goal, he won't appreciate you disagreeing.

Who was the player though? It doesn't sound like the sort of thing that a professional (or any decent) personality would get worked up over. In fact, the more professional/determined (less controversial) types would maybe take that as a challenge to do even better.

One that got me this week:

Signed Miroslav Klose for cheap, mostly to be a tutor really. Journalist suggested the low fee meant there was no pressure on him. I replied with the obvious manager line of 'I expect the same of every player, regardless of fee'....

Miroslav Klose is unhappy with amberhelix's comments. What?

I'm guessing in the code it was an opportunity to take pressure off him but it makes no reasonable sense. Klose is a Model Professional / Unflappable too!

And it's not like the media to paint things in a ridiculous manner is it?

It's not the media, though, it's you the manager having to resort to wild hyperbole because every other answer makes you sound like a jerk.

So I've just been asked what I thought of my players goal.

It was a tap in so I didn't think it warranted the "It was spectacular" option or something along those lines so I chose the "I've seen him score better ones in training".

My player has now reacted badly to it! How is that a negative answer, the game considered it a great goal so saying "I've seen him score better ones in training" is surely a compliment?!

Thats one of the biggest lies in FM :D

Archived