Improving a league

Hi

Me and two buddies play in the portuguese league. We are currently in the 2023/2024 season. I manage Benfica, the two others Porto and Pacos Ferreira (He got sacked as Sporting CP manager). Benfica and Porto constantly dominate the league, while Pacos Ferreira usually get the third Champions League spot. Sporting CP usually get the fourth spot but struggle in Europa League. Benfica and Porto also do consistently well in Champions League, and the league is ranked 6th. Our finances and players are world class.

Our challenge is as follows:

We want to improve the league (the whole league), and thus knock BPL down as the number one league. As the situation is now, there are 3-4 decent teams, and the rest is crap. We have done a few things to try to overcome this, which includes:

* Loaning out several good players to the less-superior sides

* Buying several crap players from the less-superior sides at x100 market value

However, this doesn't seem to work espescially well, as the less-superior sides are still not managing to even get past the europa league qualifier, and still struggle economically.

Some seasons ago, we tried to launch a transfer-rule, involving the following:

* Only allowed to sign portuguese players

* Only allowed to sign foreign players from clubs in our league

This have not shown any results so far, so we are considering other rules, such as selling decent players for free to some of the lesser sides in our league.

So, my question is: How do we make our league the #no1 league in the world?

Regards

Klavaldo

I think you'd have a really hard time improving a league's reputation without using the editor. I think I read in a thread that it can take decades in game, and mostly comes down to youth recruitment and training across the league. Might be wrong on that, but I think if you're just controlling those three teams there's only so much you can do.

Are the qualifying rounds of Euro competitions played in full- detail? If not it's mainly taking into account club reputation not the good players you have sent to them.

Think it will be very hard anyway because of how much money the EPL sides get these days but good luck.

You can't do it in the short-term, particularly given you're already at 6th. The higher you get, the harder it is to get even higher. It's going to take the human-controlled clubs to have sustained success in Europe, and the lesser clubs to start progressing further too. If you manage to improve the league financial package (TV/prize money) then it might happen quicker, as it gives the other clubs a chance to improve.

There's no real quick way to do it - financially doping clubs in the way you've done will probably not work. It's just patience. I managed to get the Gibraltar Premier League up to the top 10, but that took over forty years. To make it to the top, it would probably take another couple of decades. That was on FM15. On FM14 it took me 60 years to reach 8th in the league rep standings.

Are the qualifying rounds of Euro competitions played in full- detail? If not it's mainly taking into account club reputation not the good players you have sent to them.

Think it will be very hard anyway because of how much money the EPL sides get these days but good luck.

How do I know if they are played in full-detail?

You can't do it in the short-term, particularly given you're already at 6th. The higher you get, the harder it is to get even higher. It's going to take the human-controlled clubs to have sustained success in Europe, and the lesser clubs to start progressing further too. If you manage to improve the league financial package (TV/prize money) then it might happen quicker, as it gives the other clubs a chance to improve.

There's no real quick way to do it - financially doping clubs in the way you've done will probably not work. It's just patience. I managed to get the Gibraltar Premier League up to the top 10, but that took over forty years. To make it to the top, it would probably take another couple of decades. That was on FM15. On FM14 it took me 60 years to reach 8th in the league rep standings.

Thanks for the reply

It will also depend on how the teams in Europe are doing in Europe. Just competing is not enough; you will need to be winning consistently to raise your team and nation coefficient, thus giving you extra European places and then allowing more teams to be representative of your country in Europe.

It will also depend on how the teams in Europe are doing in Europe. Just competing is not enough; you will need to be winning consistently to raise your team and nation coefficient, thus giving you extra European places and then allowing more teams to be representative of your country in Europe.

Sure. Doing quite well in Europe, one of SLB and Porto reaching the final each year. As players develop we will probably start winning it from now on.

If you a bit in hurry, have you tried the In-game editor?

Not sure, what can you edit there, since never used it.

Not in a hurry, and not going to cheat.

Thanks!

Keep doing well in Europe and in time other teams will improve. I managed to get Belgium to number 2 by managing one team for about 18 years and consistently getting them to the late stages of the CL and winning a couple of ELs. The only reason they couldn't get to the top was that I also managed an English side and won the CL virtually every year.

Archived