FM2008 - Official How to improve my team

AcidBurn

Just wondering if there should be a thread to get advice on improving our teams. I have had several games where I have wanted advice and the club threads have been virtually inactive. For example I play as Sunderland but only 4 or 5 people post in the Sunderland thread if there was a thread like this more people would view it and I could get better advice. I also play as Crewe which has 3 people who post in it if that. Then again though is that what the rate my team thread is all about as I viewed that more as bragging about assembling the best team rather than ways to improve. Could be a template as follows.

Club -

Patch -

Season -

Transfer Budget -

Wage Budget -

Wage Budget Remaining -

Untouchables(people you wouldn't sell)-

Screenshot of your squad and best 11

Just thought it might be a way to unclutter the forum a bit with people asking advice on how to improve their team. I have seen alot of post mainly from lower teams on who should I buy etc. Just thought it might be a good idea. Sorry if this is a pointless post and no one likes the idea lol. What do you guys think?

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I would take the 200k and try to sign Daryl Murphy from Sunderland as he has always been god like for my teams in league one and continues to be brilliant right up to the prem, might take some negoiations though. Take a look at Kotenko in goal as well for my Crewe team he cost 150k and was good enough right up until the premier league. Also a soon as Lansbury and Rhys Murphy are old enough get them on 3 month loans as they can set that league alight.

On a side note who is Tico Tico never heard of him before.

Personally I would take the 200k and try to sign Daryl Murphy from Sunderland as he has always been god like for my teams in league one and continues to be brilliant right up to the prem, might take some negoiations though. Take a look at Kotenko in goal as well for my Crewe team he cost 150k and was good enough right up until the premier league. Also a soon as Lansbury and Rhys Murphy are old enough get them on 3 month loans as they can set that league alight.

On a side note who is Tico Tico never heard of him before.

thanks acidburn

Club - Sunderland

Patch - 8.0.2

Season - 08/09

Transfer Budget - £9 million

Wage Budget - 600k

Wage Budget Remaining - 94k

Untouchables(people you wouldn't sell)- Cisse, Barnes, Lansbury, Arshavin

sunderlandimpdu8.jpg

w1024.png

Also looking for ideas for next season where my budget will be £25 millionish any ideas on how to improve now with £9 million or in the future with £25 million. Cheers.

AcidBurn, this is a very good idea for a thread.

As for your team:

Although Etuhu has done well for you, I don't think he;s good enough to take your team to the next level-but finding a replacement might be tricky, considering your budget.Maybe Makoun if you can get his price down or Gelson Fernandes? Maybe even 07 hero Sherman Cardenas?

Craig Gordon's a very good GK, but seeing as he's unhappy, maybe consider letting him go, because you should get a fairly good price. Try Neuer for an alternative, or Costil for the cheap option, or Lloris for the world class option.

In your defence, you've got a very good base in Ferdinand and Samba, but your fullbacks are questionable. Onuoha, in my experience has never become better than decent, and plays best as centre back. Try Ilsinho(he'll also cover your centre mid and right mid), or for cheaper option Van Zanten.

McCartney also looks like a weak link at left-back. Try Guilherme from Almeria here, or Lazslo Sepsi(top class)

In midfield, you're well set and have sufficient back-up. No problem here.

Up front, you are also fine. Doyle is excellent back-up to Cisse.

You have very good youth aswell.

Good Luck with your team, and I hope I helped.

Now to my team:

Club - Man City

Patch - 8.0.2

Season - 09/10

Transfer Budget - £180million

Wage Budget -2.2million

Wage Budget Remaining - 500k

Untouchables(people you wouldn't sell)- No-one if need be.

Seeing as I'm on 360, can't post screenies so will type out:

GK:

Foster

Frey

Lloris:

Defence:

Richards

Apam

Sakho

Breno

David Luiz

Guilherme

Traore

Alves

Midfield:

Ilsinho

Martinez

Veloso

Johnson

Afellay

Fernandez

Nedved

Wijnaldum

Ben Arfa

Aissati

Kroos

Nasri

Van der Vaart

Forwards:

Saivet

Scannell

Vela

Aguero

Moses

Walter

Cardozo

Evans

Huntelaar

Sturridge

Any help would be much appreciated. My team are challenging for the Premier League and Champions League.

nice squad acid burn, and amazing that youve got lansbury on a permanent deal! Im not too sure but maybe invest in a new left back unless your planning on having vidal as cover for that area. Just for the sake that he might be available try and see how much sakho and sankhare cost at this point, but other than that i think your squad is good enogh to challenge on all basis

Thanks for the help guys Lansbury was only available as I had to pay £11 million for him which is a hell of alot of money but he is young English and has bags of potential. Going to take a look at Sakho and Sankhare as I feel defensively I need some more cover and a better DM is needed. Gordon is good but unhappy coz I wouldnt allow him to move to Zaragoza so might look to sell and replace. Also I love Ilsinho and was waiting until next season to bid when I have enough money.

Cant see how you can improve your Man City side they seem amazing if anything there seems to be too much quality lol. Personally I would bid £100 million for Kaka just for the sake of it lol.

The board just sold Barnes for £20 million and Malbranque for £10 million so I have now got £38 million to strengthen the team to help us push for champions league football. Malbranque was brilliant on either wing and had a high average rating and was a key man hence the £10 million he was sold for would prefer british people.

acidburn and megafan, thanks for the advice. I am in the process of now attempting to sign world-class players-had about 10 100million plus bids accepted for several different players but not many want to join me.

AcidBurn, you defo need wingers now. Maybe Kalouda if he hasn't already moved, or Fernandez. Maybe even Ben Arfa. Let me know who you sign.

Ben Arfa is at Inter I think so not much chance for him. In the end the deals I had fell through I bought in Ashton for £20 million, Riquelme for £7.5 and have Ashley Young arriving next season for £11 million I think I should get a decent finish and can then build on it for next season. Gutted that I couldnt get Ilsinho but there was alot of teams bidding for him and deal got ended on last day of transfer window. I am trying to keep most of my team British which is why I probably over paid for Ashton but I really like him IRL and am trying to get players I havent had before plus he gives something different to Cisse. Doyle is playing crap so might move him out next season unless he actually does something soon. Had a bid accepted for Bentley but it was £20 million so I pulled out might try to get him next season. My list of targets will be Bentley, Ilsinho and maybe Downing and some fullbacks especially LB.

I have 30M for Manchester United, in the process of signing Pablo Zabaleta for RB..

I'd like to spend some of this money in order to garentee a good squad, i cant think where needs improving the most.

http://img222.imageshack.us/my.php?image=squadwy4.jpg

Thats my team at the moment, community shield in two days so i'd rather be quick and get a quick signing for the match :)

Cisse is there permanently so Doyle will be moved on at the end of the season if I can get rid of him. Ilsinho is my top priority I have had him at Shakhtar before.

I would think you need a decent back up CB to cover Vidic and Ferdinand and another RW maybe a CB like Samba, Fazio, Tamas etc. For the right wing I would just filter out which RW you can get and then pick the one that looks best. Depending on what update you are using Bentley was brilliant in my girlfriends Blackburn game.

Club - Manchester City

Patch - 8.0.0

Season - 08-09

Transfer Budget - Nothing left

Wage Budget - 1,11 M p/w

Wage Budget Remaining - 252 K p/w

Untouchables(people you wouldn't sell)- I can sell everybody for enough money. But some players are really expensive. Richards, Elano, Lulinha and Aaron are important players which are for that reason really expensive.

New player for next season: Theo Walcott

ManCityMP120309.jpg

I can need some help. I play al lot of draw games. Mainly because of goals in the last minutes in the game.

Change your tactic ;)

Other option is to use wasting time in the last minutes of the game. And maybe keeping your defense line a little more deeper.

And - is Dunne even good enough to be at your team. Same question about Voronin, Onuoha, Kewell, M. Woods?

I have played with Dunneas my CB before and he was excellent need to bring in someone younger though. Voronin is nowhere near good enough for a top prem team. I would say you need to buy at least one striker, a RW, another attacking MC or AMC and a CB. I would change tactiuc and play one upfront with Elano and another AMC just behind him.

sunderland3rdlz4.jpg

w1024.png

Club - Sunderland

Patch - 8.0.2

Season - 3rd season

Transfer Budget - £21 million

Wage Budget Remaining - 262k

Untouchables(people you wouldn't sell)-Ashton, Riquelme, Ferdinand

Finished 4th last season and am trying to push on from there Gordon wants to leave as does Luis Jimenez and Samba did but he seems okay now.

You won't get too many better than Henri!

He's class, worth a place in a top team.

Theres only one CM who I rate higher, and thats Jack Wilshere. He's an absolutly BRILLIANT player, and IMO is the best CM in the game. OFC, I got him with a top PA(-9), maybe you havent been so lucky on your game.

You also need a new RB. Bardsley isnt very good, so maybe get someone like Eboue in, as much as I hate him. He's good at RB, so you should give him a chance if you can get him for cheap.

Why are you playing Jimenez ML? Depending on how much you could get for him, I would sell him, as he is playing out of position and unhappy, same with Craig Gordon.

If you did, would need better quality Gk(Costil, maybe Lloris or Ochoa), and a ML. Not too sure who to get though.

Blimey, thats a tough one!

Your in 2009, so he's about 30-31? I dont think he's worth it. He won't last too much longer at the top level. Like I said above, Jack Wilshere is great so try him too. Might get him for that if your lucky!

Or, try and get Pirlo for around £6mil, then he'd be a good buy.

Just got Jack Wilshere for 400k and 800 quid a week wages coaches say he can become a leading premier league player. I knew there was a reason I sucked up to Wenger at the start of the game lol, plus he owed me one after making me pay £11 million for Lansbury. Thanks for the advice he doesnt look special at the moment but he is only 17 and has bags of potential might loan him out if I can get a decent feeder team.

Yer, he looks crap until he's at least 20. But he plays absolutly brilliant, was my top scorer from MC one season, and my captain from the age of 23:)

£400k is brilliant, he'l be worth 40x that soon I reckon!

£11.4mil for two amazing midfielders? Thats a bargain! I would've paid more than that for one of them!

Heres my Tottenham team, won the premiership 8 times in a row

Club - Tottenham

Patch - 8.02

Season - 2015/2016

Transfer Budget - 206m

Wage Budget - 2.44m

Wage Budget Remaining - 1.03m

Untouchables(people you wouldn't sell)- Bojan, Buonanotte, Makarenko

Makarenko is a genius at midfield, perfect attributes for assists, Guzman is a genius in goal, one of the best goalies i've ever seen on football manager, Liu Qiang very good attributes for right back, e.g crossing, tackling, heading ect, and i'm still not sure whever to play antonio, but he has been good for me so far.

tottenhamsquadnu3.png

Thandui - I would say you need another striker to rotate with Saivet or at least back him up not really sure about the rest are a few of them regens?

Fataldinho - I think you just need to buy some versatile players as your squad seems pretty small some like Ilsinho, Vidal or Sankhare would be great as they can cover alot of positions and can still improve a far bit plus Ilsinho would be good voer for the RB position.

I put Jimenez on the ML because in the game before he wasnt playing Ashley Young got a 6. In that game Riquelme scored twice and Arsahvin also scored twice and assisted twice so I couldnt drop either of them two so decided to see how Jimenez would do on the left. He has now left the club for £20 million plus 50 percent sell on I have also sold Gordon as he is an ass for £7.5 million 50 percent sell on and Joe Hart. I am trying to get as many Brits as I can but also bringing in players I have never had before like Veloso.

sunderlandmq8.jpg

w1024.png

Club - Sunderland

Patch - 8.0.2

Season - Just about to start 4th season

Transfer Budget - £38.5 million

Wage Budget - 1.2m

Wage Budget Remaining - 325k

Untouchables(people you wouldn't sell)- Chygryinskyi, Michael Johnson, Ashley Young, Vidal.

I wouldnt like to sell Samba but if a huge offer came in I would consider it. I think I need another CB maybe, I am trying to sell Bullard, Whitehead and Richardson. I finished 2nd last season becuase the team seem to bottle it against Arsenal and any other team near the end of the season. I was trying to build a team of mainly British players but I think that this will result in less success so now I am trying to sign players I have never had. Cisse scored alot of goals but played 6 or 7 6's towards the end of the season which was when it really mattered so I might look at maybe another striker and moving Cisse on. I doubt I can win the league as they will bottle it again but I am going to try, so who can I buy then?

AcidBurn

The squad looks pretty good but I think you should work on improving the overall quality of the bench players in particular. Your first team is solid enough but the bench is weak imo.

Firstly though, why in God's name wouldnt you have Miguel Veloso as one of your untouchables?? He's the best player in your squad by a country mile fgs!

Start improving your defence first. Steven Taylor would slot into the first team as he's better than any of your CB's by some distance. Then guys like Justin Hoyte, Matt Hill, Joleon Lescott would improve the quality of your side as well. Will provide you good options. If you think that you can get those guys for less than what you can sell the current players in your squad for (guys like Bardsley etc), then make the switch.

For your wings, I would highly recommend getting Giles Barnes in. Quality right winger. You could then move Ashley Young on the left wing. For AMC, see much you can get Tomas Rosicky for. He's not young but he's forever rotting at Arsenal and is usually very cheap if still there. He's an awesome player if you can get him cheap. Else, try Kim Kallstrom who usually suffers the same fate at Lyon.

If you want another English striker, I would recommend Defoe. Would probably cost you 14-15M but is very prolific. Else, get James Vaughan.

You've got plenty of players that you can choose from tbh. You just need to prioritise on which positions to fill first. I would start with central defence. Getting a better CB than Ferdinand in should be priority. Then your left wing - like I said, move Young there and buy Barnes. Or maybe move Johnson to AMC, Young to ML and Arshavin to MR. The rest of your first team looks good enough so your next step is to start improving the bench. One thing you need to do is start looking for a replacement for Riquelme and quick. Because once he declines, you'll seriously struggle to replace him as he probably provides most of the offence if your side.

lol forgot about Veloso I was in a rush posting he of course unsellable. I have already had Barnes but he moved on to go to Man Utd when Quinn accepted their offer. Riquelme was godlike last season in assists and important goals for most of last season it was Johnson and Riquelme at the AMCs its a struggle to keep the players as the big clubs are sniffing around Samba and Johnson. I will take alook at getting Defoe and Taylor although NEwcastle probably will not sell to Sunderland unless its a huge offer. Thanks for the tips.

Defoe was going to cost too much money so got Eduardo for alot cheaper and bought in Fazio as I have never had either player before. Still got £20 million left trying to get a RB and maybe another AMC Johnson is proving he can replace Riquelme but not sure if Ireland is good enough to partner him so might end up spending £20 million on an AMC/MC any ideas who I tried Kallstrom but they rejected £18 million dont want to bid more than that to be honest.

Thought i'd give this a shot..

Club - Man City

Patch - 8.0.2 Weegie

Season - 1st

Transfer Budget - £98M

Wage Budget - £1.02M p/w

Wage Budget Remaining - £78k p/w

Untouchables(people you wouldn't sell)- Robinho, Elano, Richards, Johnson, Fernandez & Chretien

09212008145429hn7.th.jpg

Archived