Training

Normally I think we all have our overall training on balanced as it allows for a bit of everything to be done in training but I was wondering when would someone use fitness ? Obviously pre season strikes to mind but would it make sense to use it during the season if you intend to play a high pressing game ?

Fitness training has an effect on player physical attributes only, not match fitness. No need to use it during pre-season (playing friendlies get players match fit).

If you want to play a high pressing game and need players with higher levels of stamina, strength, speed etc then sure Fitness Training can help there.

Personally I tend to leave my general training on Tactical to boost player mental attributes, and target individual players with specific physical training if I think they need it.

I usually keep to balanced training but in my current save my default position is 'Fitness: High'. Why? Well i've created a lower league team where the entire squad is 15 years old. Their physical attributes such as strength and stamina are in many cases 1. In the first year (maybe 2 or 3 years) I primarily need them to 'beef up'. The technicals can wait until later. So, in short, in my view it can be appropriate for kids coming through your academy in the youth team. However, I'd be very happy for Cleon to come on here and tell me (with reasons) why this is wrong!

Fitness training has an effect on player physical attributes only, not match fitness. No need to use it during pre-season (playing friendlies get players match fit).

If you want to play a high pressing game and need players with higher levels of stamina, strength, speed etc then sure Fitness Training can help there.

Personally I tend to leave my general training on Tactical to boost player mental attributes, and target individual players with specific physical training if I think they need it.

really?

but when my training focus is fitness

my players usually have high match fitness even they dont have match for long time...

I usually keep to balanced training but in my current save my default position is 'Fitness: High'. Why? Well i've created a lower league team where the entire squad is 15 years old. Their physical attributes such as strength and stamina are in many cases 1. In the first year (maybe 2 or 3 years) I primarily need them to 'beef up'. The technicals can wait until later. So, in short, in my view it can be appropriate for kids coming through your academy in the youth team. However, I'd be very happy for Cleon to come on here and tell me (with reasons) why this is wrong!

Why is it wrong? The only way it could be considered wrong was if you was doing it short-term as it wouldn't really have an effect. Long-term though it's a good strategy if you need every player at the club to work on those attributes.

really?

but when my training focus is fitness

my players usually have high match fitness even they dont have match for long time...

Not true. Match fitness can only come from playing games nothing else.

Herne is correct in that it has no bearing on actual fitness of players, all the focus does is train the specific set of attributes.

Why is it wrong? The only way it could be considered wrong was if you was doing it short-term as it wouldn't really have an effect. Long-term though it's a good strategy if you need every player at the club to work on those attributes.

That's very good to know. My long-term strategy is to have them as fit as a Pochettino team when they hit their physical peaks in ten years time!

Come March I'd got he feeling the play was going a bit flat and I suspected the lads were getting fatigued. I nudged the Fitness schedule down from High to Medium and it seems to have perked them up. I'm still trialling it.

I use team cohesion if I have to make more than a few transfers or if I have a dressing room issue. The dressing room issue I have no idea if it helps with however it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside when I have a high team harmony.

Other than this balanced on whichever level leaves my individual player work load on heavy.

I have a related question. Has anyone ever intentionally and strategically used the ATTACKING or DEFENDING focus in General Training?

I personally don't because I feel that the added training in marking/tackling, etc is wasted on my strikers, and the added training in long shots, etc is wasted on my defenders. At least ball control/tactical/fitness are useful throughout all positions.

Archived