Really struggling

I really enjoyed the last editions of the game, but i'm really struggling to get into this one. It's the first Football Manager that i didn't buy at release day, and i'm still playing the Demo. I'm really trying to like the game but there are too many things that annoy me and which kept me away from buying the full version until a proper update gets out. I understand that major overhauls happen every 2 editions, and i expected that not many things will be changed from FM2015, but at least some problems that make the game less enjoyable would be solved, instead we've got the horrible edit your appearance/manager touchline thing, there are over 60 pages on the wishlist thread, but i don't reckon this being mentioned there, it seems noone at SI listens or checks that thread, because alot of fans wishes aren't in the game.

And now to give a few examples of problems that make the game experience not fun for me :

1. The main one are player interactions, i've tried to start a save with different teams which have potential to grow (Swansea, Southampton, Spurs, Everton), but everytime i receive an offer for a key player (and this happens in the first 2 weeks when i start the game) they complain that they want to leave, no matter the choice i pick in the player conversation screen, and i'm careful to pick a good reputation for me, because that was the reason in the previous versions, but even that doesn't help. It just kills the hopes i had from the start of the game, really annoying. On top of that, players are complaining too easy that they want first-team action, it's almost laughable.

2. ME, instead of improving it, it seems that the team focused on the appearance of the game, instead of giving the option to pick a coat for your manager, this key feature of the game was slighty improved, while still having alot of bugs. I don't know how in over 1 year of testing, noone can't see that defenders can't defend, the keeper is still a weak link, no matter how you instruct your defenders to play, they don't listen, it's like they are playing without a manager. Let alone that most goals are conceded from crosses.

3. I would say injuries, but this is never acknowledged to be a problem, it comes down to luck it seems, but at every team i tried to managed, i had at least 1 key player sustain a serious injury, on top of that i always had 3-4 players being 2-3 weeks out with "normal" injuries.

I think that if the player interaction and ME would be solved with a future update, the game will be back to at its best. But i fear this will be changed with FM2017, which normally will be a major overhaul of the last 2 editions.

1. when they ask for transfer tell that they wouldn't get as much first team football there, when they ask about playing more regularly tell them to prove it at training, same goes for new contract questions. This solves 85% of complaints for me

3. aim to have 3 players to cover each position

1. when they ask for transfer tell that they wouldn't get as much first team football there, when they ask about playing more regularly tell them to prove it at training, same goes for new contract questions. This solves 85% of complaints for me

3. aim to have 3 players to cover each position

I've set that they wouldn't get more playing time and they said they are confident in their ability to be starters there and so on ...

3. I don't understand it. I'm not experiencing anything unusual in injury department. Perhaps because I use training with medium-high workload. I've found that while high intensity training produces better results, then casualties that go with it (injuries) are too big a price to pay. I feel that less is more in this area of the game and more steady development of players actually gives you better results in long run.

What concerns squad size, I try to have 2 players in each position plus 2-3 really young talented lads (17-18 years old) who can get occasional run in first team from substitutions.

3. I don't understand it. I'm not experiencing anything unusual in injury department. Perhaps because I use training with medium-high workload. I've found that while high intensity training produces better results, then casualties that go with it (injuries) are too big a price to pay. I feel that less is more in this area of the game and more steady development of players actually gives you better results in long run.

What concerns squad size, I try to have 2 players in each position plus 2-3 really young talented lads (17-18 years old) who can get occasional run in first team from substitutions.

I have the same option, never going for high intensity, but so far in all my savegames, in the first friendly game i play i get a key player injured for at least 1-2 months.

It's beyond me how anyone can complain about too many injuries now. It's gotten to the point where I don't even bother with anything more than a 20 man squad, even if I'm playing 50-60 games a season. And the rotation problems for AI teams are I'm sure in part caused by the lack of injuries. I've just seen AI Man City and Man Utd both play 7 players 50+ times out of 59 because none of them got injured for more than a total of a week. The constant moaning about the realistic number of injuries a few years ago forced SI to basically break the game to shut them up.

FM16 is the first version I've purchased since FM12. The refinements in tactics are quite welcome, but I, too, am having difficulty adjusting to the new aspects of player interactions. One of the things I've noticed is that if I check with my assistant on reactions to pep talks, I am getting quite a lot of "felt pep talk was repetitive", which would be fine if there were a wide variety of options, but there aren't. Not saying anything is an option, I suppose, but rather contrary to the spirit of the thing.

Also, a variation of the problem Georgik noted above: I took over at Burton Albion, which had a core of pretty good players, many of whom were in what I'd call an ugly mood. I was quickly besieged by complaints that the prior manager didn't play them enough and demands for assurances of being in the first team. Well, I'd only just arrived, so I tried what anyone in that position would say - everyone will get a chance to prove themselves. If you think about it, anything else would be irresponsible. But in every case, the player replied that he thought he'd already done enough to prove himself and wanted assurances now. In my view, that is completely unrealistic. I suspect that telling them they'll just have to prove themselves would cause a major problem, solvable only by selling them off. But if I promise them a run in the first team, that becomes something I'm scored on and I'm left scrambling to find playing time for everyone. If the manager has been at the club for some time, that's a different matter.

One thing's for sure - in this version, you really need to make sure you've got players with similar personalities. I'm also not sure that's completely realistic. Sometimes, a locker room full of serious, determined types needs a class clown to keep things loose, and a group of young players sometimes needs a few seasoned veterans for guidance.

as far as guys bitching, i tend to build up my youth and use them mostly. they seem to complain less for me then guys i pick up on transfer. they seem to want to leave a year or 2 after getting them. Ross Barkley is a perfect example. One bad season and he is crying to leave

I really enjoyed the last editions of the game, but i'm really struggling to get into this one. It's the first Football Manager that i didn't buy at release day, and i'm still playing the Demo. I'm really trying to like the game but there are too many things that annoy me and which kept me away from buying the full version until a proper update gets out. I understand that major overhauls happen every 2 editions, and i expected that not many things will be changed from FM2015, but at least some problems that make the game less enjoyable would be solved, instead we've got the horrible edit your appearance/manager touchline thing, there are over 60 pages on the wishlist thread, but i don't reckon this being mentioned there, it seems noone at SI listens or checks that thread, because alot of fans wishes aren't in the game.

The wishlist does get checked by SI and it's for that reason that we ask for feature ideas to be posted there.

1. The main one are player interactions, i've tried to start a save with different teams which have potential to grow (Swansea, Southampton, Spurs, Everton), but everytime i receive an offer for a key player (and this happens in the first 2 weeks when i start the game) they complain that they want to leave, no matter the choice i pick in the player conversation screen, and i'm careful to pick a good reputation for me, because that was the reason in the previous versions, but even that doesn't help. It just kills the hopes i had from the start of the game, really annoying. On top of that, players are complaining too easy that they want first-team action, it's almost laughable.
Players want to leave for bigger clubs. It shouldn't be a surprise.

Players also can from time to time ask for some playing time. If they don't have a case, it should be easy to convince them to back down, unless they have a poor personality. The fact that they're having a conversation with you is working as intended. What's of far more importance, is how that conversation goes.

2. ME, instead of improving it, it seems that the team focused on the appearance of the game, instead of giving the option to pick a coat for your manager, this key feature of the game was slighty improved, while still having alot of bugs. I don't know how in over 1 year of testing, noone can't see that defenders can't defend, the keeper is still a weak link, no matter how you instruct your defenders to play, they don't listen, it's like they are playing without a manager. Let alone that most goals are conceded from crosses.

If you notice issues, it's best to report them. Your issues could be tactical as well.

3. I would say injuries, but this is never acknowledged to be a problem, it comes down to luck it seems, but at every team i tried to managed, i had at least 1 key player sustain a serious injury, on top of that i always had 3-4 players being 2-3 weeks out with "normal" injuries.

I think that if the player interaction and ME would be solved with a future update, the game will be back to at its best. But i fear this will be changed with FM2017, which normally will be a major overhaul of the last 2 editions.

Injury levels are quite good, compared to real life. If anything, I'm experiencing too few injuries and this with 3-4 players who are 'susceptible to injury problems' in my squad. Having 3 or 4 players out is completely normal.

And now to give a few examples of problems that make the game experience not fun for me :

There's nothing really wrong with the match engine, it plays like real football. If you watch the way the game plays and positions players take up on the pitch its pretty spot on. Sometimes defending just looks bad because of the animation, 3d is still pretty young in terms of the game . If your struggling it's probably your tactics or management decisions.

There's nothing really wrong with the match engine, it plays like real football. If you watch the way the game plays and positions players take up on the pitch its pretty spot on. Sometimes defending just looks bad because of the animation, 3d is still pretty young in terms of the game . If your struggling it's probably your tactics or management decisions.

So you don't think that goals from crosses are a problem ? On a different thread someone reported that Bellerin had 30 assists and the season wasn't even finished, come on ...

@hunter i understand your points, i found a solution in givin them new contracts on the first day as a manager, before they will have time to complain :) Inflated my wage structure but at least i had them tied down, hopefully they will not complain about leaving again.

So you don't think that goals from crosses are a problem ? On a different thread someone reported that Bellerin had 30 assists and the season wasn't even finished, come on ...

@hunter i understand your points, i found a solution in givin them new contracts on the first day as a manager, before they will have time to complain :) Inflated my wage structure but at least i had them tied down, hopefully they will not complain about leaving again.

Occasionally there might an excessive stat, but was he managing Bellerin because if he was he could have had him taking corners, set pieces and an attacking full back will get assist's. If he wasn't managing him it could just be a dodgy stat the game has implemented. I don't have problems conceeding more goals off croses than what is normal. You complain about defenders not being able to defend but every goal ever scored someone has made a mistake, that's why it ended up being a goal .

as far as guys bitching, i tend to build up my youth and use them mostly. they seem to complain less for me then guys i pick up on transfer. they seem to want to leave a year or 2 after getting them. Ross Barkley is a perfect example. One bad season and he is crying to leave

I know I'm in the minority but I find the bitching in FM16 to be pretty good, certainly compared to previous editions. In FM16 if a player is complaining about lack of football, if the player currently in the team is in form then simply telling the player that 'Dave Bloggs is in the form of his life' or 'we're in good form and I don't want to disrupt it' actually makes sense to the player (providing he's reasonable) and can pacify him. Offering loan moves also helps for young players who want to play. The only downers to this are the flaws in the promises system regarding loan players wherein a promise will not be fulfilled unless a club loans the player, therefore he will leave on a free if is contract is up citing a failure to keep a promise (a known bug which SI are working on and hopefully will be sorted with the next patch) and the horrible media-trap wherein answering a question regarding the player and his tantrums will lead to a promise (I always take the fence-sitting media option to avoid this). As a whole, I'm yet to have a team turn against me, we've had a few 'clear the air' discussions regarding performance and they've always appeared reasonable, and not in any way illogical, which was not always the case with FM15.

I actually think its the worst version of the game since the CM / FM split. It really isn't an enjoyable game.

I personally wouldn't say it's less enjoyable, but it's certainly more demanding. I work from home a lot, and found with FM15 I got to the point where I was idly breezing through seasons as I simultaneously worked, whereas the attention and focus required for FM16 has completely taken over the attention I should be paying to work. I'm currently in a relegation battle, every point matters and everything requires attention to detail. Every match brings tension and not a little frustration, but as an FM masochist I love this challenging aspect of FM16 - you can't just find a tactic, drill it in to players and climb the leagues, you have to really work for your wins, but this makes the good bits, such as a tactical tweak that worked, a marquee signing that lifted the dressing room, a well-turned word in the media etc, extra satisfying.

In regards to the demanding nature of the game: That's why there is FM Touch for more simple play, no?

As for the player complaints: Players will always want to move to bigger clubs. In FM15 I have found the simple, and very logical solution of setting an asking price that is adequately high (or atrociously high) and telling the player that we will accept bids that match our valuation. Playing time is a dealt with by having a good rotation system. Just check the number of apps in the league (or maybe apps in general, to keep it simple) and ensure that it is adequate for the squad status. Don't let players go too long without a start, etc.

Injuries have never been an issue for me. Just ensure match fitness (easy in FM16 since it also shows the match sharpness along with conditioning, unlike FM15 where I had to add a column in the view to show it), and do not train high team training during the season (keep players' workloads on heavy at most). **** happens, of course. My key right winger got a broken leg in the FA cup semi-final and won't be back 'til around October this season, tough luck!

Just read this thread. I personally feel this FM16 as actually the best yet. Why? It's demanding, you have to pay attention to detail. You have to tweak certain things. More pressure. Injuries however, I'd like more (to give others a run out) which is mainly why I play with a huge squad. Set yourself challenges if your bored. I personally love it.

Regarding players? Everyone wants to play football, everyone wants a chance to shine? 1 game here or there doesn't promise that so they want more time to prove themselves? Just like in real life.

If you tell him he's not good enough, then why have him in your squad? If the player in his position is playing well then tell him 100% it is the case for me and they understand it.

Archived