Youth Intake Potential Problem?

But normally on previous FM's or this FM when I load it in a few times I would get a 4star or even 5star, but now never

and my team is pretty good.

To get a 5* player you would need to get one who could be significantly better than a 3* player in your squad, as you are Man Utd the chances of this happening are virtually zero, even a 200PA player would probably only come out at 4*

I also didn't mention in my first post but the *s are only opinions which can often be wrong and it can take several months or years before a player's true potential is reached. Some of those 1* players on the day you get them could be world class by the time they are 25yo.

Reloading doesn't help as you have no clue what the PA actually is unless you are using 3rd party software which can tell you.

Third Party Software? You not heard of the ingame editor which allows you to edit data in game and is available to purchase from SI?

I can edit and view the Potential of each player so this is why I am wondering why they are so poor as in FM14 I remember there was a problem with potential in one update.

Third Party Software? You not heard of the ingame editor which allows you to edit data in game and is available to purchase from SI?

I can edit and view the Potential of each player so this is why I am wondering why they are so poor as in FM14 I remember there was a problem with potential in one update.

As I never bought or used the IGE I wouldn't know what you can edit with it.

Which begs the question why are you reloading when you could just edit the PA with the IGE if thats what you want to do?

I only bought the editor so I could see what the problem was, funnily enough we were talking about this and a 3 star player appeared, who had potential ability 179

So it still works although I much prefer the older versions of Youth Intake to be honest.

I don't want to just edit a player and make him a complete legend, what's the point in that? I want to build and nurture players to their potential, but was worried that players were just really poor because of the star rating, but obviously my squad must be pretty damn good.

Changes have been made over recent years to make it more difficult to spot the best young talents, there's still. A long way to go but at least some of the steps appear to have worked.

I wonder how many players with excellent potential you've let go.

Firstly, it takes longer now for you to be able to see what a players potential is when they come through your intake. While they may be a 1* player initially it's not uncommon for that to increase over the next year as your scouts and coaches get a better look at them. I've had plenty of players who ended up being world class despite being shown as 1* when they joined the club.

Secondly, a 2* player at United would be a decent Premiership player, a 3* would be a top level Premiership player, 4* would be a genuine world class superstar and 5* would pretty much be the new Pele.

How often in real life do you see Manchester United's academy producing superstars? How many top level Premiership players do they produce? It's not many. Right now if you look at the players that have come through their academy, taking those aged roughly 16 to 19, there are probably 3 or 4 who look like they have a good chance of cementing a place as a top Premiership player, another half a dozen or so that look good enough to carve out career as an important player for a smaller Premiership Club, and then it's onto those who are going to end up having to drop down to a lower level for a career.

Real world clubs don't produce outstanding talents very often, so nor should FM.

The youth intake is moaned about a lot, but I never have a problem with it, look at the top squads in the prem and world football, how many teams have players from their youth teams in the first choice starting 11 right now? Man united...0, Liverpool....0, arsenal.....maybe 2 at a push, Chelsea.....maybe 1, but is terry a bench player now, man city....0, spurs....probably 3, debatable, but the only one of the top 6 with a handful.

Even the likes of Southampton and Everton, famous for bringing through kids with amazing potential, Southampton started with 1 against Chelsea, Everton with 2 last match.

The only team in the entire football league I can see who heavily rely on youth intake is Crewe Alexandra, and that is mainly because historically they refuse to pay agents fees so they struggle to bring players in and have to rely on youth.

I am afraid fm does mirror real life here pretty accurately, certainly well enough. Most confusion comes from people thinking the star rating is an absolute value and is relative to every player in the world, where in fact it is staff opinion, which can be wrong, dependant on form, and relative to only your squad anyway.

Final point. I have had many youth intakes with 1* PA showing up, yet when you click on them they look good. So I sign them, give them a training schedule and a mentor, and a year later they may be 4* or 5* PA. Why? Because the opinion of my assistant manager has changed. How is this realistic? Well....lets say the hoyd and junior coaches only have been working with him, they rate him enough to put him forward for a contract, and they have seen him play loads as a kid. Whereas your ass man has never seen him play until the day he is put in the squad. A year later, the ass man has seen him play 20-40 games in the under 20s and 18s and has since changed his mind. Absolutely realistic and absolutely the way the game should simulate real life.

If you concentrate on players with good stats for their age, give them a game here and there and loan them out when they're old enough, you'll find their star rating will improve quite considerably if they've got decent potential. I always get an experienced player to mentor them too.

I'm several years in at Man Utd, had a regen with 2-star potential that was complaining about playing time so I sold him to Blackburn. Bought him back a year later (at more than 2x what they paid me for him), first game back in Champions play he went off for 5 goals. He's now 4 star potential (at a fairly loaded team) and and England national starter. I don't have an editor, haven't peeked at his attributes, just wonder how my scouts got him so wrong that I would have sold him so easily.

I just know that when my youth intake calls a player 1 1/2 - 2-star potential...I keep them now.

I'm several years in at Man Utd, had a regen with 2-star potential that was complaining about playing time so I sold him to Blackburn. Bought him back a year later (at more than 2x what they paid me for him), first game back in Champions play he went off for 5 goals. He's now 4 star potential (at a fairly loaded team) and and England national starter. I don't have an editor, haven't peeked at his attributes, just wonder how my scouts got him so wrong that I would have sold him so easily.

I just know that when my youth intake calls a player 1 1/2 - 2-star potential...I keep them now.

Your team must have been loaded.

I find that a lot of users who say their players complain about playing usually have loaded teams and the youth player who they feel is not ready for first team football is actually better than the scouts says he is because of relative star ratings.

Final point. I have had many youth intakes with 1* PA showing up, yet when you click on them they look good. So I sign them, give them a training schedule and a mentor, and a year later they may be 4* or 5* PA. Why? Because the opinion of my assistant manager has changed. How is this realistic? Well....lets say the hoyd and junior coaches only have been working with him, they rate him enough to put him forward for a contract, and they have seen him play loads as a kid. Whereas your ass man has never seen him play until the day he is put in the squad. A year later, the ass man has seen him play 20-40 games in the under 20s and 18s and has since changed his mind. Absolutely realistic and absolutely the way the game should simulate real life.

I agree with everything you've said except for this paragraph.

In reality the academy doesn't operate in that kind of an isolated environment. There will be constant communication between the academy staff and the senior staff at the club, so if any player does shine in the youth system they will be well known about and even if the senior staff haven't seen him play much they will still know that he is an outstanding talent because they will have been given that information by the staff that have worked with him more.

Archived