Which FM version to play?

Which version should I play  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which version should I play

• FM11
    • FM12
    • FM13

Hello. I want to get back into FM ahead of FM16. Just a real quick question. FM12 is the best of the recentish games right? I've sort of gotten into a bit of a muddle of which FM is which as I have a bad habit of constantly falling back into FM10. So finally after the better part of a decade I've grown a bit tired of FM10 and want to play a newer version and most places on the internet seem to think FM12 was a pretty great edition if even if a tad on the easy side. It uses the slider system for training, which is a big plus in my books. But the key things to me (and which I can't seem to find much info on elsewhere) are how is the player interaction, the match engine and the opposition manager AI. I know the AI has never been up to much in FM, but some editions are better than others, and the fact most agree that FM12 is on the easy side has made me wonder about this. As for the match-engine, I distinctly remember FM13's being a cut above FM10's (As great as FM10 was, 3 strikers = winning does get a bit boring, even if you don't abuse, just knowing it's there makes it annoying), so how does FM12 stack up in terms of the match engine? And lastly how was the player interaction? I gather it didn't work brilliantly then as it still doesn't work well now, but as it was new at the time was it less intrusive at and not something that would punish you if you didn't put the time in to master it?

Sorry for the long ramble, but I haven't played FM12 before, and I just want to know whether it lives up to the hype, or I should stick to one of the games I already have in FM11 or FM13?

EDIT - I probably should clarify that I don't want to get FM14 or 15 as I don't have either and I'm a cheap *******.

FM13 for me too, I had a save that I started on the beta and carried on playing til 14 came out. For me it was just easier to get into a longer term save on.

I think the reason FM12 is so fondly remembered in some quarters is how easy it was.

I am the same as you in I kept going back to my save on FM10 after playng those for a bit, also did the same with FM14 but I have stuck with my saves om FM15 now.

I have voted for FM12, simple reason it is the one I prefer out of those 3, the only thing that sort of killed it for me was the problem with the add/remove leagues and the fact I was still enjoying my previous save more.

Out of that list, FM13 easily, however the last two versions have knocked all three out the park with FM14 possibly the best of all, but only because it's not as easy as FM15 and is therefore more of a challenge. If I were you, I'd pay that big extra to get one of the last two versions.

Played the 11 and 13. 12, everybody agrees that it was far too easy. Happy not having bought it. 13 was one of my best save with Montreal in MLS. MLS was really great with the 2013 edition, better than on the 2015. 11? Do not remember... must be average so.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll go with FM13. I sort of feel a bit silly in hindsight having made this thread as surely any sensible person would have just played the most recent version they have, but given I also contemplated for a while playing ChampMan 01-02, it's fair to say I'm no sensible person. Thanks for the feedback though. Good to know that FM13's match engine is where it kills it, as that fits in line with my memories of the game too. I look forward to booting it up again. I think I'll start off a game with Bilbao just to ease me back into it so I won't have to fret over recruitment so much. Also will be wicked to still have Herrera and Llorente.

I sort of feel a bit silly in hindsight having made this thread as surely any sensible person would have just played the most recent version they have

Not necessarily. I never got around to FM14, but I have tried 15 and am still playing 13 anyway, just because I like it better. ;)

it's fair to say I'm no sensible person.

No comment. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I recently went back to FM13. It really is a good game. Feels better than 14 and 15 to me. I will hold off a new version for a couple of years I think, just to see where SI takes the series. FM13 feels right to me compared to the newer versions. Mind you FM13 was the first version I really enjoyed after FM08 :)

Archived