My player has 18 months left to run on his contract! Oh no what should I do??????

Something that is really starting to annoy me in the game is when it is such a big deal that some of my players have 18 months left to run on a contract.

Even the media in the game are all over it.

Who cares?

Only an idiot would begin contract negotiations in this game that early. Why pay someone double his current wages now when I can wait 11 months before being forced to do so?

In addition to this during backroom meetings a coach will say that player X is considering asking for a new contract and that it would be better to offer one now instead of the player being unhappy.

When player X does ask me for a new contract I may offer him one but not before, again why would I willingly give an increased contract to a player before its needed?

SI can you please omit these annoying things from FM16

Rant over. thanks for reading :)

You may feel only an idiot would begin contract negotiations this early. There will soon be others along to point out only an idiot would leave themselves exposed to a player deciding to go on a free and only having 6 months to find a replacement. It depends how you play the game.

You can begin to probe and begin working on a deal and decide either a) whether you want to keep the player or b) whether you want to sell while you still can and get in a replacement

Personally I'll never let key players go beyond that 18 month point because I prefer to still be able to recoup money before bringing through the next player in a relevant position. I do spend a long time pursuing players however, I don't pay over the odds and work to find good value players which can sometimes take 2 or 3 seasons waiting for the right one to be in the right circumstances to buy for a bargain.

You may feel only an idiot would begin contract negotiations this early. There will soon be others along to point out only an idiot would leave themselves exposed to a player deciding to go on a free and only having 6 months to find a replacement.

You can begin to probe and begin working on a deal and decide either a) whether you want to keep the player or b) whether you want to sell while you still can and get in a replacement

Personally I'll never let key players go beyond that 18 month point because I prefer to still be able to recoup money before bringing through the next player in a relevant position.

This. Happens in real life too.

Player value declines as the amount of contract remaining declines, so it can be a very good decision to renew earlier, it is certainly safer in terms of getting something back.

Not really. Contract length and value plays a very tiny factor in a player's value. It will just be harder to sell the guy because teams will take the risk of holding out and hoping he becomes available at the 6 month mark. Or, low ball you, since as the days go, the likelihood of that player staying with you and signing a long term deal declines. At least, in real life that is. Idk if the AI is that intelligent and can rationalize that in this game lol.

Not really. Contract length and value plays a very tiny factor in a player's value. It will just be harder to sell the guy because teams will take the risk of holding out and hoping he becomes available at the 6 month mark. Or, low ball you, since as the days go, the likelihood of that player staying with you and signing a long term deal declines. At least, in real life that is. Idk if the AI is that intelligent and can rationalize that in this game lol.

In-game though contract length is actually quite a big factor on player value.

In-game though contract length is actually quite a big factor on player value.

Haven't noticed in any of my saves. Not saying it doesn't decline his value, but not enough to have a significant impact in his overall value. Maybe for a guy who rides the bench and his value is low to begin with. But for a first teamer, especially a star one, where his value is high due to the more significant factors, you won't see much decline in his value as his contract declines. Plus, his value is going up and up every year, that the decline due to his contract really does nothing lol.

I dont mind being told players have 18 months remaining, its more the way the game goes about it.

When there are 12 and 6 months remaining you get a big list. Having that for 18 months would be fine as well.

What i hate is the game targeting 1 player at a time and then having to answer a media question about it that annoys me. Its pointless.

It happens IRL with Leicester, because our manager basically bans to local press, and i dont blame him they stir up things like this, some managers are more open and let the press into the training ground and i guess they hope to put pressure on the manager from the fans so they get some change, BBC Leicester have a right idiot always at it, fans hate him anyway so it doesnt work

You can always do a deal that their new contract doesn't start until seasons end.

I've just realized this option this year - the negotiation screen always seems to default to "immediately", but now I've started setting it to "end of contract" and seeing if I can keep them on the lower wages until the end of season.

My backroom staff's always telling me to give players an improved contract, even if they have 2 years to run and I've just given them a contract a few months ago. I ignore those ones - no one made them sign that 3-4 year contract at that terms.

I've just realized this option this year - the negotiation screen always seems to default to "immediately", but now I've started setting it to "end of contract" and seeing if I can keep them on the lower wages until the end of season.

My backroom staff's always telling me to give players an improved contract, even if they have 2 years to run and I've just given them a contract a few months ago. I ignore those ones - no one made them sign that 3-4 year contract at that terms.

Yes, this was a great addition to the game, and something that always bugged me in past versions (unless it was there all along and I never noticed :eek:)

Archived