Questions

Hey guys... new FM fan here... Been used to the fifa series that ea sports have created for ps3 and 360 so i figured i would come give FM a try..

A) Not sure how FM works, was wondering if there is a guide for us new FM fans to read to see how things go?

b) In fifa series you have your piplines where you can sign prospects to your development i guess to say sorry if i have worded it wrong however when they turn a certian age you can call them up. How does FM do with developing prospects? In Hockey they have a thing called farm team where u can send players down to play other clubs farm teams and develop? Does FM have that kind of thing. I am doing my best to watch videos on youtube however i am very lost as I am watching ones to learn how to develop probspects and such so im very quite new to this game series as i have never played it before

If anyone has any suggestions on any youtube videos to watch to better understand the game or any articles to read and such.. that would be greatly appreciated... I am problemly aming for a england Npower 2 team which is horrible rated and rebuilding the club as i love rebuilding teams in no matter what sports game i play..

Thanks for everyones help. its very much appreciated.. Soccer fan from Hamilton, Ontario Canada

Welcome to the world of FM - I'm sure you have a lot of fun (and frustration) ahead of you.

A) not quite sure what you mean here? Do you mean how the game "ticks", ie how things are connected and how the matches are calculated and so on? Or do you mean a guide/manual for an explanation of menus and options? The former is not so easy to grasp, but there are a lot of guides on these forums, especially in the Tactics & Training Forum. The latter I'm not sure where to find.

B) most teams have a reserve (u21) and a youth (u19) team where younger prospects can get match time. But in short: developing future stars is an art in itself and usually need a good mix of tutoring, loaning out and some first team experience combined with u21/u19 match practice.

Good luck with your game! :)

Welcome to the world of FM - I'm sure you have a lot of fun (and frustration) ahead of you.

A) not quite sure what you mean here? Do you mean how the game "ticks", ie how things are connected and how the matches are calculated and so on? Or do you mean a guide/manual for an explanation of menus and options? The former is not so easy to grasp, but there are a lot of guides on these forums, especially in the Tactics & Training Forum. The latter I'm not sure where to find.

B) most teams have a reserve (u21) and a youth (u19) team where younger prospects can get match time. But in short: developing future stars is an art in itself and usually need a good mix of tutoring, loaning out and some first team experience combined with u21/u19 match practice.

Good luck with your game! :)

Xinxin

thanks for your help.. i hope i do enjoy it.. a little explanation of what i mean..

I tried looking for a video on youtube as far as step by step to understand the game more and such but no luck. When i mean for a) i mean like any guides or documents i can put into mic word that i can print out to read and understand the game more and such.

b) when you say reserve u21 and U19 teams, lets say i put player a on my u19 team will my u19 team play other u19 teams? or if i loan them out to another team will he play for both that loaned out team as well as the U19 or U21 team..

A) yeah, I'm not so sure there is a straight forward answer to this actually. There are a lot of guides on the game and I've read some (a lot?) of them, but I still feel incompetent when it comes to this game a lot of the time.

B) the u21/u19 does play other u21 and u19 teams. Some clubs have reserve teams instead of u21/u19 teams though. Depends on the league you're playing in. If you loan out a player they will play for the first team, usually they will need to go to a team in a lower division to do that though.

A bit off topic though: how come you have 464 posts if you're new to the game? :)

basically i am new to the FM series.. My 464 posts came from the ehm 07 series that sega/si games made..

Hello again, fella :) Glad you are giving FM a go; it's a lot of fun, and it's not terribly frustrating for everyone. You'll probably love FM as I did coming from EHM, and you will have a good base for getting to grips with the differences.

So i decided to pick Aldershot Town FC which is skrill preimer which is 1 leageu down from League 2. They gave me 16k payroll per week. 0 transfer budget. So i sent my scout to go scout atleast 3-3.5 * players with atleast a age of 15 which i plan on rebuilding my club through scouting and not transfers. With that kind of payroll will i even be able to sign many young players to my youth squad. I have set my tactices thanks for the suggestion to check the tactics section. I want my coach to run my U18 and U21 squads with using my tactics but how do i get my coaches to run those teams with my tactics. Also on the fifa forum there was things for us to look for when scouting players such as Potenial there was like a 79-91 potenial which was a good player to sign to a youth contract type thing. do they have that for this year or is a 3* player kind of like a 70-79 potenial or is there a break down of what each star means as far as overall kind of thing.

Playing at that level I wouldn't pay much attention to the youth squad. I think you're better off using your wage budget on your 1st team. Go for free transfers and never offer more than two year contracts. It's practically impossible to sell players at that level except if it's a hot prospect with a very good potential (premier league - maybe good championship player would be sufficient). At every summer transfer window you want to get a new batch of free transfers that are even better than your current players. But as you'll struggle to sell your fringe players it's better they have short contracts that will run out.

As far as comparing to FIFA I have no idea. But usually the scout player description will say something like the player is a good skrill south player (current ability) or the player will be a future league one star player (players potential).

sorry for all of these questions for a new post every time i come up with a new question lol

I seen that my default scout was 3 in judging potenial and 3 in the other judging stat. I put out offers for 3 possible other scouts, if i decide to fire my chief scout can i reassign the scout that i signed if he does decide to come to my club as my new chief scout?

If you sign him first as a scout it'll take several month before he wants to negotiate a new contract. At your level, though, chief scouts aren't necessary as you probably can only scout the British isles and so it's easy to set up a scouting regime yourself. Also you save a bit of money as an ordinary scout is cheaper than a chief scout.

If my scouts find a player 15-17 for U18 or 18-20 yr old for U21 and i sign him to a contract how do i assign him to either my U18 or U21 squad.

Either right click him and choose a different squad for him by choosing "squad" -> "senior/u21/u19", or go into his profile and select which squad you want him assigned to using the "Squad" button (very left one at the top).

If you want to keep him in your senior squad, but still make him available for the u21 or u19 squad you can do the same thing, but instead choose "Available for u21" or "Available for u19" and then choose how many minutes he will be available for each match (45, 60 or 90).

whats a good amount of players for your main squad. The reason why i ask is because the players who arent getting playing time who are 18-20 i was gonna assign them to my U21 and any players who are 15-17 assign them to my U18.

Personal choice really its just a matter of keeping players fit ad keeping players happy with the amount of playing time they get. I have 25 first team players but i compete in 4 competitions and usually go all the way in the 2 domestic competitions.

whats a good amount of players for your main squad. The reason why i ask is because the players who arent getting playing time who are 18-20 i was gonna assign them to my U21 and any players who are 15-17 assign them to my U18.

Depends on which level you play at I suppose. I have 20 players in my senior squad + 3-4 youngsters who I can play when/if in a pinch. Double coverage in all positions is nice, but difficult to maintain for smaller sides due to the wage cost. My squad is a bit small I think, since I as well compete in 4 competitions, but it was very unexpected that I qualified for Europe at this stage. So that's just a bonus I suppose.

Seattlefan here couldn't get my password to work and can't get access to my cogeco account till I get home anyways some YouTube videos I notice some teams have like 7-8 scouts but my team can only have 3 why is that?

The bigger your team is, the more scouts, coaches, physios, and other staff. This is usually limited by the clubs board.

Ok lets get back to some basics here.

Main Squad

Around 22-25 players is an average squad size, basically two players for each position + a couple of utility players. Age isn't a factor IMO, if they are good enough they are old enough.

Young Players

At the level you are managing at your training facilities are rubbish so training players is a waste of time as is buying players for the future. You need to focus on your first team, any players you bring into your squad need to be first team material or don't bother with them.

Personally I also bin any U21/reserve teams. They just suck up much needed wages that could be spent on first team players without contributing anything.

Transfer List/Selling Players

At the level you are at clubs don't have money to buy players. Use the players you have and when their contracts end decide if they are worth a new contract, if not release them.

Shortlist

Click next to your name at the top for a drop down list and your shortlist is there.

anyone know a site that lists all of the teams budget/transfer numbers.. I decided to restart my game and take a Sky Bet League 2 team and work my way up to the top league. I want to take a team predicted to finish 16-24th in the sky bet league 2 team and rebuild them. I figured skrill premier was too challenging due to the little amount of budget u get.

anyone know a site that lists all of the teams budget/transfer numbers.. I decided to restart my game and take a Sky Bet League 2 team and work my way up to the top league. I want to take a team predicted to finish 16-24th in the sky bet league 2 team and rebuild them. I figured skrill premier was too challenging due to the little amount of budget u get.

Not sure if the situation is any better in Sky bet league 2 to be honest. I'm not 100% sure, but most teams don't get much of a transfer budget to spend until the championship.

Personally I also bin any U21/reserve teams. They just suck up much needed wages that could be spent on first team players without contributing anything.

I don't see the logic in doing away with the U21 setup altogether. You don't have to keep extra players on your wage bill for it to exist, the greys will fill it up if necessary. I do however not enter them in a league. It's vital for me to have the reserve team so I can keep any squad players fit and it's better if they play friendlies instead of league fixtures which have age restrictions. This keeps my whole squad almost 100% match fit at all times which is no doubt useful if I have to rely on my fringe players stepping up for whatever reason.

Each to their own but IMO you don't need a reserve team to keep first team players fit.

If you have unfit players in your first team squad its an indication that you have too many players in it.

Just to be clear though you can't actually totally get rid of a squad I just don't make an effort to put players in it and I don't enter them into a league. There normally ends up being some overage U18/19 players there until their contracts expire with the odd player who loses his first team place.

Each to their own but IMO you don't need a reserve team to keep first team players fit.

If you have unfit players in your first team squad its an indication that you have too many players in it.

Just to be clear though you can't actually totally get rid of a squad I just don't make an effort to put players in it and I don't enter them into a league. There normally ends up being some overage U18/19 players there until their contracts expire with the odd player who loses his first team place.

I think you can get rid of them, every time I choose to not enter them in a league the board asks me if I wish to scrap the setup altogether. I don't believe unfit players are indication of having too many - firstly there are injuries and players returning from them and secondly, as a skint lower league team you can't often afford quality players beyond your first eleven but you still need cover. I don't usually do heavy rotation in lower leagues, can't afford to really.

I think it's even more vital at a part time club where gaining fitness takes just about forever. It takes me about two months into the season to get everybody on 100% (injuries excepted). But once I'm there it's much easier to make the necessary team changes in different situations.

I added a player to the transfer list to maybe move him to help me save money however one of my strikers is out for 3 weeks. how do i go about removing him from the transfer window. It says hes not needed by the club.

Players who are transfer listed is automatically set to status "not needed by club". To change it go to the player profile and click the transfer button. The choose change transfer status. Then use the drop down menus and set the correct transfer status and squad status and click confirm. Should fix it.

I understand that teams make money from selling players via transfers and prize money from tournaments and such but i mean does a team not make money off of ticket sales from fans coming to the games and such or no?

At the lower levels you will make next to nothing from selling players, 99% of your players will be released or sold for zero to get them off your wage bill.

Your main income will come from ticket sales (Season tickets + match day), you'll get some prize money but not a lot at lower levels and you'll get sponsorship. There will be other income butin general they are fairly minor.

Clubs at the lower levels often struggle to break even over a season with the owners sometimes putting extra money into the club to keep them afloat.

so i had the demo on my computer and about to buy the game for 49.99, my question is do i have to start my career all over again or can i continue the same save file.

Pretty sure you can continue the save. Not 100% on how it works though.

Not sure what you can do with the editor regarding moving teams between nations.

This is going to be a dumb question but i thought i would ask it anyways. is there a spot in the demo since its kind of like a try and buy type thing where u can purchase the full game or do i have to go to stream and redownload the full game since ive only downloaded the demo and now ready to purchase the game.

You can continue your game from the demo into the main game but yes you have to download the main game first, rather than unlock the game, a la xBox Live for instance.

The difference between parent and feeder club is basically in the name. The parent club is the main club and the feeder the one below it. There are a number of reasons for a parent club to have a feeder, the main one being to send players out on loan, but there are also work permit issues (mainly for British clubs and other countries requiring work permits before a player can play), commercial rights (a big club in Europe acquiring a club in Asia or America for commercial reasons such as shirt sales or big attendances at friendlies), and first option rights on a club which produces good youth players, though a deal involving players on loan will also usually contain a first option.

Requesting feeder clubs will usually require you to ask which sort of club you want, and whether you get the option or not will depend on your board.

So i downlaoded a Megafacepack... however when i go to search for my fhm 14 directory i just have one for like my tactics and save file etc... when i go to properties on my fhm 14 logo on my desktop and search to go see where the main directory is on my desktop it says this:

stream://rungameid/ then a bunch of numbers. does that mean i installed the game wrong?

So i downlaoded a Megafacepack... however when i go to search for my fhm 14 directory i just have one for like my tactics and save file etc... when i go to properties on my fhm 14 logo on my desktop and search to go see where the main directory is on my desktop it says this:

stream://rungameid/ then a bunch of numbers. does that mean i installed the game wrong?

No I don't think you installed it wrong if it works properly and you can run the game. I'm not sure where your game is installed (obviously, since it's on your computer), but sometimes the folden for the third party graphics aren't created, so you must create it yourself. Not sure this is the case with you though.

There should be another directory for your game though, where it's installed. Should be under steamapps/something somewhere on your harddrive.

Depends on which level you play at I suppose. I have 20 players in my senior squad + 3-4 youngsters who I can play when/if in a pinch. Double coverage in all positions is nice, but difficult to maintain for smaller sides due to the wage cost. My squad is a bit small I think, since I as well compete in 4 competitions, but it was very unexpected that I qualified for Europe at this stage. So that's just a bonus I suppose.

Personally, for a non-league team I would have a first team plus maybe three of four extra players that can ideally play in a number of positions. Then I would promote youth players to

replace any injured players in the first team if they get injured or suspended. Would save on wages and I think it is a good idea to have a good youth system in place as well. At that level youngsters could probably come in and do a half decent job in the first team.

Archived