[FM14] Ruh Roh Ruins the World (full world remake, 11 regional pyramids)

tweK1ea.png

I wanted to make a "world league," but instead of putting all of the world's teams into one giant pyramid I figured things would be a bit neater if I simply consolidated existing leagues a bit. So, here we are; the map gives you the new borders of world football, though I'm sure I'm off by a country or two. No, you can't play in Antarctica. I got the idea after making a consolidated pyramid from the football leagues of the Balkan countries - that link has more in-depth about structure, methodology and stuff, which is fairly similar across the board for every pyramid. All continental competitions are replaced with an enhanced "Club World Championship," which gives a payout similar to the Champions League. The top two first division teams (only the champion in Scandinavia) + the FA Cup winners all qualify for the CWC group stages.

The eleven first divisions are, ranked by what I think is their starting reputation:

Central European Premier League (Germany)

South American First League (Gibraltar - basing a league in South America means teams won't sign non-South Americans IIRC)

Western European Superliga (France)

Premier League of the United Kingdom and Ireland (England)

Kontinental Football League (Russia)

African First Division (South Africa)

Asian Premier Division (S. Korea)

Middle Eastern Confederation 1. League (Qatar)

North American Premier League (Canada)

Balkan Premier League (Serbia)

Scandinavian Superleague (Sweden)

Aside from Scandinavia, which is a bit smaller, everyone's relatively close together in terms of finance and reputation. Europe is split into the largest number of leagues and its biggest clubs still have the best players and facilities, but this mod does something to break up the unipolarity of modern football. Good players will stay in Africa and Asia; some will even migrate there. Mario Gotze signed for the mighty Kano Pillars while he was still in his prime in one of my test games.

Youth ratings have also been just about standardized. Traditionally non-footballing nations and tiny islands can still produce top players, they'll just have less clubs in the pyramids. Since standardization is the word of the day (forgive me for how much my writing style resembles corporate memos), lower league attendances, reputations and facilities have all been brought up to about their level in England. The goal is to let you manage your Tajikistani Messi without making things too ridiculous.

Structure-wise each nation has a four-tier pyramid (three playable) with regional lower leagues. There is a foreign player cap of ten but players from nations that feed into the pyramid are considered "non-foreign;" Chelsea can sign Irishmen to their heart's content but they can't just sign and play the best youth from Mexico or wherever (though there are no work permits). Luckily, citizenship in every nation is much easier to come by; it now follows three years of residence at any time.

Everything should be stable in terms of not crashing or exploding, but as is the case with most mods I would like people to be "guinea pigs" to make sure the finances make sense, etc. Running my own holiday tests into the future and playing a season or two will only show me so much; the time and energy I have to devote to a Football Manager data mod is obviously quite finite.

The final package is twelve different rules files (eleven nations + continental comps), all of which should be running at the same time. You can obviously play right away, but unfortunately the system makes more sense holidayed about ten years into the future.

As far as leagues/players to load, I suggest running a small database with players from all continents with national reputations. Most of the second divisions are actually two leagues and most of the third divisions are actually three or four, so at least on my computer the game chugs along too slowly if I try to load more than two full nations.

Gonna dump some screenshots from a holiday test in 2023 so maybe people can get a clearer idea of what the thing's all about.

Club World Championship overview

Asian Premier League overview

Guangzhou, last year's Asian champions

Loyola, a Philippines-based team in the Asian third tier

Second Football League Southwest, regional third tier Eastern European league

Daugava Riga, a Latvia-based team in the Eastern European third tier

Token good player from small nation (Kyrgyzstan)

And of course, the link to the rar file containing all the rules is here:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9a35vd

Well, guinea pigging it up, I've hit a bit of a wall in terms of squad registration.

I'm playing as Guizhou Renhe in the Asian Second Division North (who isn't? :D)

Basically, the first season January transfer and registration windows are set from the 28th December 2013.

With transfers, there's been no problem- I've signed players in advance and they've joined my club on the date they should.

Registration for the league, however, doesn't appear to have reopened. This means that the five new signings can't actually be registered for matches. I'm only on the 29th December, so haven't gone too far in to see if it sorts itself out, but I haven't received the "Registration Window is now open" message, and I'm not able to register the players from the registration screen- it's greyed out. I'm gonna go forward a bit and see what happens- presumably the registration window must open at some point, but just a heads up that it hasn't done so on the 28th as it should.

That aside, the database appears to be functioning as it should, although I'd be interested to know the thinking behind having six relegated from the league I'm affectionately calling the PLUKI?

I just updated the files, not a whole lot of changes so I'll go through them

- Lowered relegation places in "PLUKI" from 6 to 4, honestly don't remember why it was 6 in the first place

- Gave non-English UK teams extra money so that they wouldn't just get relegated with like 11 points (except for a few of the better Scottish teams they still do, usually)

- Finally fixed the registration thingy. I set the January window as "January 2000" instead of "January 2001" before because I didn't know how the base dates worked and that apparently made the thing flip out

- Added another league to the South American lower tier, it now has 3 IIRC

- Minor reputation/facility tweaks according to whatever my whims were when I looked over the files

http://www.sendspace.com/file/pf9vv3

I just updated the files, not a whole lot of changes so I'll go through them

- Lowered relegation places in "PLUKI" from 6 to 4, honestly don't remember why it was 6 in the first place

- Gave non-English UK teams extra money so that they wouldn't just get relegated with like 11 points (except for a few of the better Scottish teams they still do, usually)

- Finally fixed the registration thingy. I set the January window as "January 2000" instead of "January 2001" before because I didn't know how the base dates worked and that apparently made the thing flip out

- Added another league to the South American lower tier, it now has 3 IIRC

- Minor reputation/facility tweaks according to whatever my whims were when I looked over the files

http://www.sendspace.com/file/pf9vv3

What I've seen done with some previous files is the author runs the first season 10 times over, for instance, and records the result. Then teams can be swapped between leagues if one, for instance, gets relegated in the first season every time without fail and are clearly not good enough for the league :)

Couple more things to work on, yeah - there are a handful of teams that are a division or two too high. Japanese teams underperform because they have fake players; Irish/N. Irish teams underperform because they have bad players, I think there's a Central American team or two in North America that doesn't do too well either. I wanted certain numbers of teams from each country in high divisions, but putting a team through a relegation in their first season (probably, the parachute payments might cancel it out) makes them more likely to struggle over the long term.

Travel costs are probably a bigger worry because they just obliterate the finances of lower league teams, particularly in Africa and Asia; if you holiday five years or so then everyone's bankrupt because they have to fly so much. I can give out yearly "other payments" in the finances tab and I'm hammering out the numbers for that right now; the RNG can always throw your team into a far-flung division and cost you a lot of money but I should at least be able to find decent averages. Basically, teams further away from their leagues' "population centers" (i.e. teams in Oceania, teams in East Africa, teams in Iceland, the heroes of FC Vladivostok) will be getting the biggest "bailouts."

Also forgot to say that the new file has an "Intercontinental Cup" (I think) to serve as a sort of Europa League substitute, throw a little more money around, give more teams something to do, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

You didn't think he'd leave, did you? Maybe you did. Whatever. Back! With more arcane half-remembered patch notes and (hopefully) less broken files! I should have uploaded the right file after being alerted to it, but the thing wasn't in a state I was happy with. It should be fine now. I don't think I'll touch it

- Added more lower league clubs for every region, including a Sochi club in Eastern Europe in honor of the Olympics I'm only barely following and the closest team to my hometown (10 points for guessing it!)

- Reconfigured division placements of clubs in UK/Central European pyramids

- Gave piles of money to Japanese clubs and smaller piles of money to non-South African African clubs so that the same teams wouldn't dominate every save

- Gave top clubs in Africa and Asia globally competitive facilities

- Disallowed cross-pyramid loans in all divisions (the quality of player you could bring in was too high if you were running one country) and raised the total of domestic loans from 3 to 4

- Divided longitudes and latitudes for clubs, cities and stadiums in Asia, Africa, the Middle East, Eastern Europe and the Americas by 10 - this effectively eliminates the travel costs problem; flying your team across South America in diamond-plated private jets will no longer cost twenty million pounds. This was horrible and I probably put it off for weeks, but it's a better solution than the yearly payments.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/icbv29

I like a lot of them - the Middle Eastern (Qatar) and the Eastern European (Russia) leagues probably have the most "character" to me, but it's all subjective. Besides the J-League (I'd like to get permission to import someone else's players eventually), the big teams of North Africa and the Gulf states are probably the best sides you can't play as in default FM.

Just be mindful that besides Scandinavia, every full country you load is actually 5-7 leagues (first division, 2 second divisions, 2-4 third divisions) and not 3; I don't know what kinds of computers people have but I get 4.5* on their performance rating thing and I wouldn't suggest loading more than two countries.

Unless any issues pop up the only thing I think I have to do with this is create new awards, which I'll probably procrastinate on since it's cosmetic. I'll also start uploading holiday gamesaves since I think the thing works best after things have "settled" ~10 years into the future, but expecting people to do that themselves is silly.

Now starting my 3rd season with Village Superstars (St.K & N), been promoted 2 yrs in a row. Simulated first season so I could take over a team that promoted from lower leagues. Database running very smoothly, at this point still the Eurpean clubs running the showthough. Maybe still too early to notice clubs from other continents getting by.

I like a lot of them - the Middle Eastern (Qatar) and the Eastern European (Russia) leagues probably have the most "character" to me, but it's all subjective. Besides the J-League (I'd like to get permission to import someone else's players eventually), the big teams of North Africa and the Gulf states are probably the best sides you can't play as in default FM.

Just be mindful that besides Scandinavia, every full country you load is actually 5-7 leagues (first division, 2 second divisions, 2-4 third divisions) and not 3; I don't know what kinds of computers people have but I get 4.5* on their performance rating thing and I wouldn't suggest loading more than two countries.

Unless any issues pop up the only thing I think I have to do with this is create new awards, which I'll probably procrastinate on since it's cosmetic. I'll also start uploading holiday gamesaves since I think the thing works best after things have "settled" ~10 years into the future, but expecting people to do that themselves is silly.

Awards are a important feature as they help balance reputations of teams and players so don't dismiss them entirely.

Now starting my 3rd season with Village Superstars (St.K & N), been promoted 2 yrs in a row. Simulated first season so I could take over a team that promoted from lower leagues. Database running very smoothly, at this point still the Eurpean clubs running the showthough. Maybe still too early to notice clubs from other continents getting by.

Since the big clubs of Europe have all the best players in the game DB, it takes a really long time for things to even out, which is a lot of why I'd imagine playing in the future would be optimal. I've increased non-European clubs' bank balances a little, but the money doesn't go *that* far and I don't want to make things imbalanced domestically either.

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed regionality in North America and Eastern Europe, fleshed out lower tiers in South America and Scandinavia, deleted a bunch of B-teams, tweaked finances a bit. Unless the patch totally breaks it/adds something cool to edit, I think that this time I'm actually, really done.

Hello Ruh Roh, I've downloaded your update very cool but there is a problem with the Balkan cup, can you look at that please? I don't know if I'm alone to have this problem!

Thanks

No sorry, forget what I said, no problem with your funny update, there was a conflict with another update I wanted to add.

Thanks

Hello Ruh Roh, I've downloaded your update very cool but there is a problem with the Balkan cup, can you look at that please? I don't know if I'm alone to have this problem!

Thanks

Upload the save on Sendspace and I'll take a look at it, I've ran test games with the Balkan league and it's worked but it could be something weird.

Thanks for your help, I'm french and I don't know how to upload the save on Sendspace but I can say to you when I run the game it's written "Avert. could not process rule group settings in editor data World remake editor 1.1 "Balkans.dbc...Balkan supercup...Too much teams (80) transfered balkan second league (77)

It helps you?

Thanks

Sorry, no problem with your update, forget what I said

Bye

Three savegames available right from ~the future~, not sure what year but I think they're all around 2025. Just left the computer on for about a day for all of them. Not the greatest thing for the computer, but it might be more profitable than mining Bitcoins these days. This was worth doing because the world is more balanced after players have moved around a bit. Not sure how quickly large files download on Sendspace, so...have fun, I guess.

Balkans and Middle East

North America and South America

UK/Ireland and Central Europe

Hey.. there is something wrong with Scandinavia. It gives an error of too many teams (56 instead of 55).

It's a bummer as I really wanted to try it out :/

I think the new database update ate one of the Scandinavian lower league teams. I have no idea how or why, but that file should work on the 14.0 database. I have a new file up, though, which is 14.3 (or whatever it is)-compatible, tweaks facilities a bit and adds kits to a lot of teams who were just using the default blues.

Also, a new future save's up from Eastern Europe and Asia.

This sounds great!

Although I've been playing FM for years, I'm a complete noob when it comes to downloading mods, so I'd appreciate some guidance here.

I've downloaded the editor - what do I do next? I'm only interested in managing in North America - do I need to DL and install all of the databases for the other

regions? What exactly do I need to DL, and where does it go? Any step-by-step guides?

Sorry for the very basic questions, but it's the first time I've done this - thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

hey, i just wanna say i've been having a blast playing this. This is so much more epic than other saves, holiday-ed till year 2029 before managing and am in year 2034 now (I usually don't play over 3-4 seasons). You always see new clubs challenging instead of the usual few teams. I wanna thank you for making this database!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived