Work in progress: Pipson's 4231 ''Triangle'' Tactic - Dagenham and Red. playing like Barca

Introduction:

Please note that this is till work in progress!

Every time FM comes out, i always play with my favorite team Benfica and after a few seasons in charge winning the league, cups, champions league and etc i got bored and as a challenge i decided to play with the team closest to where i live which is Dagenham and Redbridge and take my benficas 4231 approach.

And i had a vision, i thought if we are going to make it to the EPL, i want to play an attractive attacking short passing football based on the ''Triangle'' this term if commonly seen a lot by Barcelona real life playing style ''triangle passing'' here is an

before we discuss tactics there is a few things i would like to clear 1st when people try this:

Ass man:

He will do team talks, oppositions instructions, therefore it is vital and i mean seriously for him to have Tactical Knowledge of atleast 15 and Motivation 15 Bonus stats could be determination and man management and level of discipline the higher the better as ive noticed huge difference in my team performance.

Pre season:

I handle training, so i do Fitness with Tactic only all the way to more match training until i have fully learnt the tactic, which then i put it one notch off full from less match training and leave training to Balance and match training to def positioning but i sometimes change this according to my ass man advice as this usually varies from def to attacking movement.

The tactic: The idea

Its a 4231 set up, 2CMs, 2 wingers with an 1amc and FC.

The purpose of this tactic is to play a triangle short passing attacking football, pressuring the oppositions team. Creating Clear cut chances and making the most from set pieces play and open play.

Player roles, key attributes and PPMs

Team PPM:

I highly advise teaching every player to '' Plays one-twos '' and then you must have a player with long throw attribute, in this set up i have both my right back and left back with decent long throw attribute so each are set up to their own side throws and i taught them Possesses Long flat throw this will create a fake corner chance and lead to goals

Team instructions:

d6kv.png

GK: Keep it short and pass it to defenders - Handling, One on Ones, Reflexes, Aerial Ability, Command of Area, Positioning, concentration and composure.

Defenders: Again nothing too specific apart from passing it short - No need for PPMs - I usually prefer complete Defenders, meaning physically very strong and fast - bonus attribute would be passing.

Fullbacks: This guys are set on auto (attacking) - their job is to start play, defend, support, attack, pass, cross. - I usually like Gets foward whenever possible - runs with ball down ''players side'' - possesses long flat throw. Key attributes: Tackling, Marking, Passing, Crossing, Positioning, Work rate, team work, pace, acceleration and stamina.

Mid:

Work in progress here to help improve defending duties

i 1st started off with DLP S and BWM S and was very good attacking and support but shocking at suffering counter attacks. I then found some stability at DLP D and BWM S and i saw alot of Triangle play but not as good defensively and lately ive been leaning towards DLP D and B2B S which seems solid but seen less triangle play. so i actually have 2 versions of this tactic cause i am undecided on the MCR part atm.

Your MCL is your deeper player, on a more defensive duty but still able to support with passing. Therefore passing, tackling, work rate, team work, stamina, creativity are all welcome here.

Your MCR is the more offensive supportive player otherwise your AMC is isolated and we dont want that in the triangle set up. Off the ball, tackling, passing,quickness, stamina, creativity, dribbling

As for PPms i usually like the MCL to come deeper, try killer balls, one twos

AMC:

This guy is your playmaker and second foward cause he will roam and support your FC. Think of Michu He needs dribbling, finishing, heading, passing, technique, composure, decisions, creativity, off the ball, acceleration and pace and stamina. PPms i like place shots, trys killer balls, one twos, runs with ball through centre.

Wingers: Straight foward, job is to cross and sometimes cut in, thus why they have roam from position, you pick attributes of a winger or inside foward both will do but i prefer this: AML to have left foot and AMR to have right foot, so it doesnt lead to lack of crosses, ruining formation shape and too much running towards to middle.

Foward:This guy is a creator and a finisher, thats why his a deep lying foward with roaming from position = best of both worlds, he will supply your AMC and your wingers at the same time make space for him self and finish. PPMs i like runs with ball often, lob keeper. Attributes: think of a complete foward: Dribbling, finishing, heading, composure, off the ball, pace and acceleration.

What to expect:

My 1st time in the EPL with Dagenham after taking them from league 2 my media prediction was 20. Only spent 7.98m and sold 6.18m and still have a loads of my championship players and wages of only 209k after January window was about 180k before.

This is how we stand at the moment n season 2017/2018:

ondq.png

We also have scored more goals than any other club, the top goal scorer is my player Sol whom i bought from Real Madrid B team for 25k has 20 goals and the 2nd top goal scorer has 17

What you might see in the match engine;

The triangle at its best:

6bi4.png

Watch it in HD please

Some results:

0-6 vs Fulham

xlga.png

2-0 vs Chelsea

n6js.png

3-1 vs Liverpool

5y1g.png

4-0 vs Man utd

4y9x.png

Please Note:

This is still work in progress its is not finished as i have 2 versions of it. 1 where my MCL has direct passing and full backs have no short passing and my MCR is a BWM on Support - this set up usually has better passing. The 2nd which i think is a bit more stable defensively has fullbacks and MCL on short passing and MCR as a B2B Support which is the one i have uploaded.

This might not gurantee you sucess as it is not a diablo and have not tested it yet with other team thus why im looking to found out what you may achieve.

Download:

Click Me - Updated for 4.1.4 for now

- v3

swapped mcs around

-v3.5

added shoot less often on b2b player

Any advice and recommendations are welcome, atm im trying to figure out the MCR role and instructions and wether to keep play offside or not.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finished the league and i am a bit gutted by this:

2at0.png

I was 4th when we kicked off the last league game and we managed to beat everton 2-0 away and we only finished 5th tied up with the same points as 4rth and 3rd.

However very impressed with how i done on my debut season. we also managed to get top goal scorer with 25 goals in 35 games

Tactics i made some changes and i think i may be done now, just need a few matches next season to confirm this. I swaped the MCL and MCR i think that most teams left side is more attacking then their right side. and i was deciding on what role to give the MCR and after a few games i decided to stick with box to box because:

When i tried the rest i came to this conclusion:

DLP support:

Pros:

triangle shape visiable at times

holds his place well

strong defensively

avoids counters

Cons:

overall team possesion seemed lower

lack of attack support

no penetration

maybe not suited for short passing

BWM support

Pros:

Excellent at attacking

good supporter

creats the triangle perfectly

good movement

Cons:

Looses formation shape defensivly

open gaps on his side

doesnt hold position

suffer too many counters

So i need the combination of the 2 and i think box to box does that to some extent.

I won't be downloading the tactic because I like to build my own, though it looks good. :) Any chance you can post a screenshot of the tactic itself? So i can have a sense of fluidity, strategy,..

I like the idea of triangle play myself and I'm glad you chose pass into space as an instruction, a lot of people think you can't build a possession based tactic when using that, though I found it actually very useful when team shape and runs are set up correctly. You've also found out why people warn users away from the BWM as a defensive player though it could still work with a DLP on defense, sacrificing triangles in central midfield. For me a BWM is a great role to use alongside a conservative player when i need to press the opposition hard in midfield, otherwise I stay away from him so I can have a more creative play in midfield.

Can you also post the opposition instructions you assistant is giving to your team? I've found he would overdo it at times, destroying the shape I had in mind.

Thanks.

I gave this a try too. I am enjoying Pogba as BBM. Getting a lot of on-target long shots in, and even if they arent goals, im getting a few rebounds. 31 goals in the last 8 games. Messi 14 of those. I know Barcelona arent a great challenge, but it does fit well.

Edit: We do find it harder to score on narrower pitches. I've noticed we still shoot and hit the target just as often, but there are definitely far less CCC and actual goals.

How do i edit the topic thread?

I gave this a try too. I am enjoying Pogba as BBM. Getting a lot of on-target long shots in, and even if they arent goals, im getting a few rebounds. 31 goals in the last 8 games. Messi 14 of those. I know Barcelona arent a great challenge, but it does fit well.

Edit: We do find it harder to score on narrower pitches. I've noticed we still shoot and hit the target just as often, but there are definitely far less CCC and actual goals.

Podga has a PPM that will cause him to shoot alot if im not mistaken, how are you finding the passing? and how many CCCs are you getting a game?

Also when you play on narrow pitches what do you notice of the players? Are they too wide or too narrow? i sometimes change team settings to play it wide and i find it to work very well vs certain tactics and teams but i notice when i do that my Wingers dont cut in as much.

Upcoming changes:

-v4

= removed short passing from fullbacks

* short passing seem to limit fullbacks at time

* passing to wingers on crossing positions

= changed closing down on MCs to keep shape

* shape of the formation was ruined

* opposition players AMC too much space

= removed cross from deep from fullbacks

* fullbacks not crossing from byline

= changed Box to Box to dribble less

* encourage more passing

* used to loose the ball too often

= the change

* reason

- still work in progress, again the more feedback i get the better

I've started using this with my underperforming Spurs squad in January during the 1st season. I've tweaked it as per your v4 changes and will let you know how it goes. First couple of games were much much better in terms of overall play than anything I've been able to manage thus far. I worried that giving too many instructions would be counter productive, but so far so good!

I'll give this a go on my Rangers save, I'm already about half way through my season so obviously it'll take a while to get full fluidity. Having said that, I won my first game 4-0 with some very impressive statistics.

Match Overview

Match Stats

is this with v3.5? and without the v4 changes as im still debating those and still in testing.

However love the possesion, and no long shots which is a big thing in this ME and you had 9 half chances most of those are actually CCCs because next Me update it will fix this (detection of CCCs)

= changed closing down on MCs to keep shape

* shape of the formation was ruined

* opposition players AMC too much space

--> No closing down or clousing down less to MC?

These are still under consideration, the more feedback i get with that wrong with V3.5 the better i can tweak things around. Atm i completly even changed the MC set up by using a DLP D and AP support. but im considering reloading v3.5 and start again with the tweaks

pilmalm was that with the update? im finding it not to work as it used to with 14.1.4 especially with GK distributing it to defenders (fecks up defen line for some reason)

Playing 14.1.4.

Actually i see the same thing!

Surely its just the first 4 games, but lost them all with at least 3 goals...weird since i had such success in pre season! ;(

ive jsut reloaded 3.5 version and the only changes which i find very important is to untick all GK intructions (seems to ruin defensive line but it left it on for now) and add fullbacks to play wider and add the swap the MCs around with the same intructions that is DLP D on the left and the other MC on the right side (this is a must) winning my current game 1-4. if you dont do this you will struggle.

ive jsut reloaded 3.5 version and the only changes which i find very important is to untick all GK intructions (seems to ruin defensive line but it left it on for now) and add fullbacks to play wider and add the swap the MCs around with the same intructions that is DLP D on the left and the other MC on the right side (this is a must) winning my current game 1-4. if you dont do this you will struggle.

Could you upload this changes? dont really understand what you mean? :/ english isnt my usual language...Sorry!

Thanks, absolutely!

Will test it out and see how it goes!

How do you play away from home? Anything you change or still attacking?! :)

cheers

tactics i dont change anything. only match preparation varies from def positiong to attack movement, although in this patch attacking movement has been improved so def. positioning might not be bad as a default - make sure ur ass man doesnt control that cause he will pick silly things that will cost you games like attacking set pieces or def set pieces. Just drew 0-0 vs Man city a team i can never usually beat. so thats 2 wins and 1 draw so far.

After finishing 5th on my debut season.

we finially won our trophy 2nd time around in the EPL

0mze.png

Stats:

oix7.th.png

Very impressive!!

So maybe att. movement home and def. positioning away? Would that be great?

Do you have any team suggestions that this tactic would fit perfectly without so many signings? :) every country possible!

cheers

Any team that has wingers, amc and a good complete forward. Where specifically would you like to play?

Ok! Well i like teams with a good training ground and youth facilities so that i could develop youngsters! So far ive only been playing in the english league system ;)

Ok! Well i like teams with a good training ground and youth facilities so that i could develop youngsters! So far ive only been playing in the english league system ;)

Man utd and arsenal probably have the best but if you want a challenge try Tottenham - Newcastle - Southampton - west ham - liverpool

Man utd and arsenal probably have the best but if you want a challenge try Tottenham - Newcastle - Southampton - west ham - liverpool

Ok, was thinking more lower league teams or lower teams in a higher division? :) Boro fit that description well tough!

For a start thats about right pilmalm.

Btw remove short passing on fullbacks noticed a huge improvement

Perfect!

It seems to improve for every match! Just come from a 6-2 win over doncaster!

The only problem i have is that i concede A LOT, second most in the league! And then i am using def all the time...?

Edit:

Removed "short pass" on FB = a 0-5 victory over Blackburn!! Great!

This has been a bit of a jekyll and hyde tactic for me so far. Beat Man City away 3-1, then lost at home to WBA, then conceeded 4 goals in 5 mins vs St Etienne having been 3-0 up.

I decided to tweak it a bit and turned off some of the hard tackling for the attacking players as I was getting a red card every game. I also turned off a few team instructions like stick to positions and run at defence.

The result is I'm playing a much 'prettier' style rather than what seemed to be a battering ram style. I've just beat Arsenal 7-1 at home and Soldado is actually scoring :)

This has been a bit of a jekyll and hyde tactic for me so far. Beat Man City away 3-1, then lost at home to WBA, then conceeded 4 goals in 5 mins vs St Etienne having been 3-0 up.

I decided to tweak it a bit and turned off some of the hard tackling for the attacking players as I was getting a red card every game. I also turned off a few team instructions like stick to positions and run at defence.

The result is I'm playing a much 'prettier' style rather than what seemed to be a battering ram style. I've just beat Arsenal 7-1 at home and Soldado is actually scoring :)

Post all your full changes so i can give it a try myself, one thing i def recommend is taking off shorter passing on fullbacks.

Archived