Official Euro 2012 - The Sweden Tactic & Team Guide

Official Euro 2012 - The Sweden Tactic & Team Guide

14t0zn6.jpg

Having failed to qualify for the World Cup 2010 in South Africa, and thus the demise of Lars Lagerback, Sweden will hope to produce something magical within the apparent 'group of death' during Poland and Ukraine, under coach Erik Hamrén. Erik Hamrén is one of the most respected coaches in Scandinavia, having obtained the Danish Football Manager of the Year in 2008 and the Norwegian Football Manager of the Year in 2009. Successive personal managerial honours throughout back to back seasons at Aalborg BK and Rosenborg respectively. Having obtained this stature, recognition and appraisal, Erik departed Norway to take up full time duty as the Swedish national team head coach on 1st September 2010, having already been managing Sweden on a part time basis since 4th November 2009, while still at Rosenborg.

With Lars Lagerbäck having resigned because of Sweden's failure to qualify for the World Cup in 2010, the weight of Swedish expectation now resides firmly positioned on Erik Hamrén's shoulders. Can he survive the group of death, knocking apparent group favourites England and France out of the way? One thing is for sure - he must try to get the best out of Zlatan Ibrahimović, who seemingly disappears when it counts and can often be found sulking if not receiving enough of the ball. A disliked figure within the English press for his sloppy attitude, Zlatan will need to prove himself on Europe's biggest international stage within Erik Hamrén's tactical philosophy and system. But what about the system? How does Erik like his teams to play and will he change his tactical mindset in the warm and sticky summer temperatures of Poland and Ukraine - Europe's second and third largest Slavic countries?

Lars Lagerbäck was a shrewd tactician who is also very knowledgeable about the game, there can be no question about that, albeit somewhat negative in his style of play. In direct contrast, Erik Hamrén has seemingly given Sweden a new lease of life. A tactical approach full of invention, trickery and attacking intent, at least throughout Euro 2012's qualifying campaign. Whether he allows Sweden to play as open as they often did throughout qualifying remains to be seen, as Sweden are competing against two international sides with attacking intent themselves, as well as Ukraine, one of the co-hosts, who can count on the home crowd as their extra man. It will be tough, but as Denmark and Greece have proven throughout the past two decades, international stature isn't everything. The French Football Federation want to forget what happened two years ago in South Africa, and England, under Roy Hodgson, are trying to instil a new philosophy. After having reached the Semi-Finals of Euro 1992, Sweden have failed to deliver at the Euro's since. Many Swedish fans are keen to point out and cling onto (much like England and their WC 66 triumph) what could be described as another success, during World Cup 94. Can Erik Hamrén deliver similar success at this years tournament and guide Sweden through?

Erik Hamrén - Sweden's Tactician

A firm believer of a positive dressing room as well as boosting morale behind the scenes, Erik has certainly got Sweden playing well, with 31 goals scored throughout their 10 qualifying games. Only Germany and the Netherlands managed more goals in qualifying, as the Swedes finished behind the Dutch in their group. An impressive goalscoring statistic for Sweden. Goals and assists were ever present throughout Sweden's Euro 2012 progression, with Källström supplying seven assists for his team mates, positioning himself joint highest, alongside Germany's Mesut Özil. With the help of thirty one goals, they progressed to the finals as the second best placed side, without the need of a play-off.

How did Sweden line up and what can we expect of them as they play out all three group games in Kiev? Will they continue to play an open, expansive and attacking brand of football?

2r56mj5.jpg

Erik Hamrén currently has his Swedish side playing a 4-2-3-1 formation, bringing an attacking intent in contrasting comparison with Lars Lagerbäck's rigid 4-4-2 system. A 4-2-3-1 system based on flair with an emphasis on attacking play. They certainly have one of Europe's most recognised strikers up front, in Ibrahimović, from which to construct an attacking system, but let's have a run through of my expected starting eleven based on the above image.

Andreas Isaksson (GK) - Four time Swedish Goalkeeper of the year, Andreas will bring a vast amount of experience 'between the sticks'.

Martin Olsson (LB) - Currently of Blackburn Rovers, but sure to move on after their relegation from the Premier League. Martin will hope to push himself to the forefront of the transfer 'shopping' window with some excellent displays at left back. Within Erik Hamrén's system, the fullbacks are expected to supply an attacking threat, as well as keeping things tight and secure at the back. After four goals in his first six internationals, I'm convinced Erik will keep faith with Martin, placing him firmly in the left back position.

Mikael Lustig (RB) - Celtic's right back as well as Sweden's, Mikael, like Martin Olsson, will be encouraged to run the entire width of the flank, supplying an attacking purpose when in possession. The question remains, will Erik allow his fullbacks to operate as freely has they have within the qualifying campaign?

Jonas Olsson (CB) - Jonas will probably start alongside the experienced and ever reliable Olof Mellberg at the heart of central defence, after Daniel Majstorović ruptured a cruciate ligament which will prevent him from playing in Euro 2012. You could make a claim that Andreas Granqvist of Genoa will play centre back instead of Jonas, but I guess only time will tell. I'm sure Erik Hamrén won't be giving away his tactical instructions, strategy and team sheet before a major tournament!

Olof Mellberg (CB) - The irreplaceable Olof will most certainly start alongside a companion of Erik's choice. At 34 years of age, he is no 'spring chicken', but his experience of European competition combined with his leadership within five international tournaments to date, make him an automatic selection. He can expect to at least add another three caps to his 113 cap haulage.

Anders Svensson (CM) - With more caps than the legendary Mellberg, Anders also brings a wealth of experience to the Swedish set up during Poland and Ukraine. Working alongside Källström, who performed brilliantly throughout qualifying, they will be tasked with keeping a defensive structure in place when lacking possession, as well as rampaging forward as a possible source of creativity when in possession.

Kim Källström (CM) - Lyon's Kim Källström will probably play slightly more advanced of his central midfield counterpart. They tend to alternate between one holding midfielder and one slightly advanced central midfielder / playmaker, but I would expect Kim to play the more 'box to box' type role over Anders, being six years his junior. After supplying seven assists to his team mates during qualifying, I am fairly certain that he will be given the nod to play as the more advanced of the two.

Ola Toivonen (AMC) - With a goal for Sweden coming as recently as 30th May 2012, against Finland, Erik Hamrén faces a tough task of picking a player to play in the traditional 'number 10' position. Sweden surprisingly have an amount of depth when it comes to the midfield positions and it is quite frankly anyone's guess as to who will start at Euro 2012, depending on the tougher and stern opposition Sweden will undoubtedly face.

Sebastian Larsson (AML) - A name known to all Premier League and Sunderland fans, Seb will probably play wide left and of course be a threat from set pieces (Sweden have plenty of set piece experts). Much like the player on the right hand side, Seb is often allowed to drift within the channels, adding to that fluidity that Hamrén has instilled since Lagerbäck's departure.

Emir Bajrami (AMR) - Perhaps one of the lesser known players within the possible starting eleven for many (unless you're a keen Eredivisie follower), Emir, of Kosovo Albanian descent, will slot into the right hand side attacking midfield slot, bringing attacking pace, skill and flair. Again, like Seb Larsson, Emir will be allowed to roam centrally or drift out wide in combination with Mikael Lustig.

Zlatan Ibrahimović (ST) - As Sweden's captain, having returned from international retirement, Zlatan is expected to start, at least for me, as the lone striker. As already pointed out, such is Sweden's strength within the attacking department, you could argue that he will play behind Johan Elmander. Whatever position he finally finds himself, Zlatan will need to produce the goods for an expectant country, having already witnessed him score five goals during qualification. A usual starter for Sweden in recent times from deep, behind the striker, injuries to key centre forwards should push Zlatan forward to the striking role.

Notable Exclusions From My Starting Eleven

2w4cpqr.jpg

Having said all of the above and laid out plans for a Swedish starting eleven, the personnel could change, most notably within the midfield.

Christian Wilhelmsson played during the qualifying campaign and could easily start in one of the central midfield positions or throughout a number of advanced attacking positions. The same can be said for Rasmus Elm of AZ, who will also be fighting for a deeper central midfield role, or perhaps a position behind Zlatan Ibrahimović, which in turn could allow the young playmaker to flex his passing skills and trickery. I believe that the starting eleven will change depending on the opposition. For example, against Ukraine in the opening game, Erik Hamrén could play his attacking 4-2-3-1 variant, where as in contrast against England and France, he may be forced to play slightly more defensive personnel, while still using the 4-2-3-1. Zlatan Ibrahimović is the likely lone striker, as Elmander is struggling for fitness after returning from a foot injury. John Guidetti missed being selected because of a thigh injury.

Apart from the possible attacking changes, Sweden could opt to bring in Andreas Granqvist to partner Olof Mellberg - as briefly outlined above. The Genoa defender was part of Sweden's 23-man squad for Euro 2008, but was an unused substitute. Andreas will be desperately hoping see more action this time around, filling in at centre back due to the unfortunate omission of Daniel Majstorović.

Tactical Weaknesses

x2pdmx.jpg

Even though Erik Hamrén has played adventurous during Sweden's qualifying campaign, he's suggested that a more rigid approach might be key in order to progress out of a tough group where England and France are favourites. Some might say that this is prudent planning and a wise move, but why change your tactical approach when you've done so well to get to Euro 2012? Sometimes the best form of defence is offence.

Having said all of that though, with Olsson and Mellberg as the probable centre back partnership, who are not known for their blistering pace, Erik might have to re-think his approach when facing the creativity that England and France possess going forward. Sweden's left back position could be a potential area that opposition teams could look to exploit, with the inexperienced Martin Olsson defending the flank. Oscar Wendt and Behrang Safari have both tired and somewhat failed to clinch the automatic left back slot, so it's up to Martin to 'put himself about' and keep defensive solidarity.

As well as the fairly weak left back position, Sweden have a generally inexperienced back line in terms of playing time together. Mellberg currently finds himself without his regular centre back partner Daniel Majstorović, with Martin Olsson and Jonas Olsson carrying less than twenty caps between them. Experience and stability is at a premium throughout defence for Sweden and they will hope that their inexperienced defence, bar Mellberg, can stay free from injury. An injury to any of their defenders could cause even more problems.

Stay tuned to this article, as within Part 2 (will feature below), you will see how Sweden approached their Euro 2012 finals experience, tactically. Expect some in depth analysis of their tactical set up during the tournament, as well as a Sweden Euro 2012 tactic.

Group of Death Tactikzz? I wouldnt say so haha

The "group of death" as reported in the media, is obviously Group B, but for Sweden, I would say that Group D most certainly is. Two potential champions and the host nation with the crowd acting as the extra man. It will be extremely tough for Sweden.

The "group of death" as reported in the media, is obviously Group B, but for Sweden, I would say that Group D most certainly is. Two potential champions and the host nation with the crowd acting as the extra man. It will be extremely tough for Sweden.

If you look at it like that then yeah maybe so :)

You've got Larsson and Bajrami playing on the wrong wings. ;) Larsson has never played on the left side for the national team, afaik. Bajrami might have filled in on the right side late in some games but if he's starting, it'll be on the left side. Hamrén prefers to use regular wingers in his 4-2-3-1, not what would be called "inside forwards" in FM language.

As for Zlatan, Hamrén seems determined to have him play in the #10 role rather than up front. Rasmus Elm will probably replace either Anders Svensson in the midfield or Bajrami on the wing and it seems like Granqvist has beaten Jonas Olsson for the spot next to Mellberg after the last friendlies.

You've got Larsson and Bajrami playing on the wrong wings. ;)

I think "wrong" is a bit too bold. It depends whether he wants them acting as wingers, or inside forwards. They are usually allowed the freedom to move within Erik's system, either down the channels, or out wide to link up with Olsson and Lustig, but Zlatan also links up very well with the midfielders, supplying them dangerous balls to run into the box. If this is indeed how he sets up within Euro 2012, then I would argue that inverted wingers would be better as a threat running towards goal on their stronger foot.

As for Zlatan, Hamrén seems determined to have him play in the #10 role rather than up front.

You're right about Hamrén recently picking Zlatan as the traditional number ten, but Sweden are lacking a centre forward at present, with the injuries to both Elmander and Guidetti, hence my idea to push Zlatan forward as the lone striker. Within their fluid system (if they continue to play that way), much like Belgium in the recent friendly against England, you will probably see many players shifting position throughout the match. This all depends on whether Hamrén continues to play an attacking, fluid system, or if he deploys a defensive strategy against the stronger international sides.

Rasmus Elm will probably replace either Anders Svensson in the midfield or Bajrami on the wings and it seems Granqvist has beaten Jonas Olsson for the spot next to Mellberg after the last friendlies.

As already pointed out, Elm, Granqvist and Christian Wilhelmsson can easily be placed within the side, depending on the opposition, or they can be key and crucial replacements from the substitutes bench. Apart from a few players who are automatic choices, Sweden have a few positions that can be rotated and altered.

I think "wrong" is a bit too bold. It depends whether he wants them acting as wingers, or inside forwards. They are usually allowed the freedom to move within Erik's system, either down the channels, or out wide to link up with Olsson and Lustig, but Zlatan also links up very well with the midfielders, supplying them dangerous balls to run into the box. If this is indeed how he sets up within Euro 2012, then I would argue that inverted wingers would be better as a threat running towards goal on their stronger foot.

As I pointed out when I edited my earlier post, Hamrén has never really used "inside forwards", he likes good old-fashioned wingers who can hit dangerous crosses into the box. The one exception would be if he decides to play Rasmus Elm as a winger, but if he decides to go down that path it will be out of a desire to squeeze one of the most talented players he has available into the starting eleven rather than a desire to have an "inside forward".

You're right about Hamrén recently picking Zlatan as the traditional number ten, but Sweden are lacking a centre forward at present, with the injuries to both Elmander and Guidetti, hence my idea to push Zlatan forward as the lone striker. Within their fluid system (if they continue to play that way), much like Belgium in the recent friendly against England, you will probably see many players shifting position throughout the match. This all depends on whether Hamrén continues to play an attacking, fluid system, or if he deploys a defensive strategy against the stronger international sides.

I think you're overestimating the fluidity of Hamrén's 4-2-3-1 here, the players will temporarily roam out of position when the play calls for it but they will stick to their starting positions for most of the match. You'll really only see outright position swapping when there is a substitution.

As for Zlatan and Elmander, the word out of the Swedish camp is that if Johan can walk at all, he will be playing up front. If he does not recover in time to play they will probably have Rosenberg up front. Hamrén is really sold on the idea of maximising the amount of time that Zlatan will get with the ball and he feels the best way of achieving that is by having him play deeper in the field, even if it means playing with an inferior striker.

I think you're overestimating the fluidity of Hamrén's 4-2-3-1 here, the players will temporarily roam out of position when the play calls for it but they will stick to their starting positions for most of the match. You'll really only see outright position swapping when there is a substitution.

Oh I'm not over-estimating it at all. For the record, I don't expect Sweden to enter a major international tournament playing as the beloved Barcelona that everyone has seemingly fallen in love with. Player interchanging positions here and there. If Sweden did this during the tournament then they would get slaughtered, and Erik has already stated that his style will probably change to a defensive variant on occasions. But that's the key point here. My article is written from footage and statistics taken from their 31 goal qualifying campaign and how they organised themselves through this qualification process. If Erik changes anything during the tournament then currently only he knows.

As for Zlatan and Elmander, the word out of the Swedish camp is that if Johan can walk at all, he will be playing up front. If he does not recover in time to play they will probably have Rosenberg up front. Hamrén is really sold on the idea of maximising the amount of time that Zlatan will get with the ball and he feels the best way of achieving that is by having him play deeper in the field, even if it means playing with an inferior striker.

You're right, but only if Elmander is fit, which at the moment, looks like he's struggling at least for the first game - hence why I pushed Zlatan up front. The image above outlines the possible players for the first game. Other graphics would need to be created for the games against England and France.

If Elmander does make it back, then he will be slightly more rested for the French and English games - and quite frankly why would anyone push Elmander to start against the Ukraine when he could get slightly more treatment for the 'larger' Group D matches?

Well done with the Swedish tactical team guide Tactikzz :thup:

But as mention before, Ibrahimovic will play in the number 10 role, in the attacking midfield position. Guaranteed.

If Elmander is not fit - Rosenberg or Toivonen will play in the striker position.

Well done with the Swedish tactical team guide Tactikzz :thup:

But as mention before, Ibrahimovic will play in the number 10 role, in the attacking midfield position. Guaranteed.

If Elmander is not fit - Rosenberg or Toivonen will play in the striker position.

I think that Ibrahimović and Toivonen will rotate back and forth up front in order to try and find space - alternating, depending on the opposition. Hamrén has said this:

“We’re thinking about trying it more against stronger teams, to prevent him getting too isolated,” he says. “But I think we still need him as a number nine in many other types of matches.”

From that quote, you could come to the conclusion that he will start as the main striker versus Ukraine, but drop into the 'number 10' spot against England and France to link up play more.

But hey, let's wait and see! ;)

Elmander will probably play on the wing if he is fit, while Toivonen/Ibra start in the middle regardless

I dont think Elmander will play on the wing. If he's fit and match ready he will play up front, no doubt. Toivonen has done two pretty decent games as a left winger (more of an inside forward) so its more likely Toivionen starts on the wing than Elmander. If Elmander isn't fit Toivionen and Zlatan will play together. Zlatan will probably play in the attacking midfielder role and Toivonen up front but they will probably swap positions a lot. Rosenberg is an alternative but I dont think he's gonna start. I think Rasmus Elm is gonna play on the left side against France so the team gets a little bit stronger defensive.

I think that Ibrahimović and Toivonen will rotate back and forth up front in order to try and find space - alternating, depending on the opposition.

In Tuesday's friendly against Serbia Zlatan played in the #10 spot with Toivonen as #9, but you're right in that they actually (at least at times) looked more like a 4-4-2 than a 4-5-1.

Also, I agree with several other repliers here that you will never see Bajrami on the right and Larsson on the left. If only one of them plays, they can probably be played on either side, but if both plays they are going to be placed the other way around.

Edit: on a side note, I'd say the "since '92 they've failed to deliver in international tournaments" remark should be changed to "since '94...". A third place finish in the world cup is pretty decent for a Swedish national team. :)

Crikey, I'm being crucified about Sweden's possible attacking midfield selection aren't I!? The problem is that Sweden have a variety of attacking players who can play against a variety of opposition teams, depending on how the manager wants to approach things. I guess only time will tell.

I will put my hand up, however, and say that the Swedish national team isn't my strong point when it comes to discussing football and all its glory. I simply put my hand up to try and help the community.

Part two however will be better, as I rip apart the tactical side of Sweden's approach during Euro 2012. Hopefully you can all take something from that section that makes you look at Football Manager in a different tint of light.

Well, since I'm swedish and watch every game the national team plays with great interest I know a thing or two about where Hamren wants to play the different players. However, all-in-all, I think you're getting close. There are a couple of things I don't really agree with, but then again, as a fan I'm perhaps not always very objective... :)

I don't have a thing to add, tacticaly, just want to say that Tactkizz has a little error at the begining of the thread. The World Cup was 2010 and not 2012. Sorry for crrecting you. Nice thread you have here.

Tactkizz has a little error at the begining of the thread. The World Cup was 2010 and not 2012. Sorry for crrecting you. Nice thread you have here.

Thank's for pointing that out - and corrected! Whoops!

Two tournaments in one year would be a shocker. England don't even have a winter break!

"After having reached the Semi-Finals of Euro 1992, Sweden have failed to deliver in international tournaments since."

Still can't get over that sentence. Sweden finished 3rd in the world cup '94. I'd say that's delivering for a country of 9 million. :D

He means in the Euros :D;)

I'm guessing it should read 'in the' :)

I think people are been highly critical with the team threads in all honesty. Everyone seems to have an opinion about whats wrong but none of them were willing to create a thread themselves.

Cut some slack guys.

Sorry, but if the English team thread forgot to mention that England finished 3rd in a major competition, noone one care to point that out?

Like I said, all-in-all he's done a good job describing the overall tactical approach of the Swedish national team, but when one of the major swedish sport achievements in history is left out, swedes WILL react. :)

Sorry, but if the English team thread forgot to mention that England finished 3rd in a major competition, noone one care to point that out?

Like I said, all-in-all he's done a good job describing the overall tactical approach of the Swedish national team, but when one of the major swedish sport achievements in history is left out, swedes WILL react. :)

because he was on about the Euros not the world cup if you read the sentence properly....:D

Ok, to stop nitpicking and start analyzing the actual tactics then.

- If Lustig is fit to play DR, I believe Granqvist will play in the central defense together will Mellberg. He has more caps and more tournament experience, and is probably Hamrens first choice. If, however, Lustig is unfit to play, Granqvist will play right back and Olsson will take his place in the central defense.

- Bajrami will most likely not play, as Hamren has favoured playing either Toivonen or Elm in that position. Neither is a natural AML, but Hamren seems more about playing his favourite players, than playing the "natural" choices on the respective positions. If Elmander is unfit to play as #9 (Ibrahimovic will most likely play as #10 after a couple of excellent performances in that role the last couple of months), Toivonen might play there, making room for Elm on the left flank. Since Elm is more of a central midfielder, this will open up the left flank for Martin Olsson on the left back. Bajrami, Willhelmsson and Hysén are all possible substitutions for really any attacking position, but not likely to start in any of the games.

- The two deep-lying central playmakers Svensson and Källström are most likely going to start the first game, but they are unlikely to play the entire games. Elm, Wernbloom, Wendt and indeed Larsson are all capable alternatives, and you'll likely see some rotations on those positions.

To sum up, this is the line-up I expect (provided that Elmander and Lustig are both fit to play - which seems to be the case):

Elmander

Toivonen Ibrahimovic Larsson

Källström Svensson

Olsson Granqvist Mellberg Lustig

Isaksson

I'm bogged down with freelance work over the forth coming weeks, so if anyone wants to take this over and add their tactical analysis on Sweden, go ahead. I won't have the time unfortunately.

Freelance work pays bills. Writing articles as a hobby doesn't.

Well, since I just read the swedish starting line-up for the Ukraine game, I might aswell post it here:

Isaksson

Lustig Mellberg Granqvist Olsson

Elm Källström

Larsson Ibrahimovic Toivonen

Rosenberg

A couple of surprises there!

- That Svensson is benched for Elm is rather unexpected. As I stated above, most people seemed rather sure about that Svensson would start, and that Elm would come in as a sub for either Svensson or Källström. Since Elm is a bigger threat forward, but slightly worse in defense compared to Svensson, it's a clear indication that Hamren wants to take the game to Ukraine.

- Elmander was said to be fit to play, but since he is left out in favor of Rosenberg, it's clear that he's not fit enough for Hamren to risk him playing from start. I'd expect him to come on later on for Rosenberg unless the game is already over by then.

The remaining 9 is as expected.

Thought Sweden were very poor last night. Ibra looked good when he wanted to be but seems lazy and greedy, alsmost like he knows all the players around him are nowhere near his level. Also that Williamson lad who came on looked a good player.

I dont think Ukraine deserved the win but Sweden shouldnt pose much problem for England or France going off that performance

I don't really agree with either of you. :)

Ibra was not lazy, in fact he was one of the few in the squad that seemed to have some will and drive that game. And I don't agree with the assessment that it was tactical errors that led to the loss or the bad performance. It was simply nerves. The team seemed too nervous to play their own game. In FM terms, it was due to low confidence from a bad pre-game team talk. :D The team looked slightly better in second half, but they still didn't reach their normal standard.

Hopefully this loss will make them get over their nerves, some of the preasure, and allow them to play their natural game against England - in which case I think it will be a relatively even game. If they keep on playing the way they did against Ukraine, they'll be hard-pressed to get a point in this competition.

I don't really agree with either of you. :)

Ibra was not lazy, in fact he was one of the few in the squad that seemed to have some will and drive that game. And I don't agree with the assessment that it was tactical errors that led to the loss or the bad performance. It was simply nerves. The team seemed too nervous to play their own game. In FM terms, it was due to low confidence from a bad pre-game team talk. :D The team looked slightly better in second half, but they still didn't reach their normal standard.

Hopefully this loss will make them get over their nerves, some of the preasure, and allow them to play their natural game against England - in which case I think it will be a relatively even game. If they keep on playing the way they did against Ukraine, they'll be hard-pressed to get a point in this competition.

He has his odd moments of brillinat but he is a very hit and miss player in my opininon. Sometimes he is brilliant (touch and flicked through ball for Elmanders chance) but then other times he is just wild (he had a shot that went out for a throw in) thats all. If they play like they did against England and France they will be torn to pieces, I think for England as long as we keep Ibra quiet as possible should be a relatively easy game. Although as you say if it was just nerves and they decide to get their act together it could be a very tough game.

I agree that the defending has been poor this tournament. 3 scored goals in two games should've been enough for at least 1 point.

Don't really agree with all the critique against Ibra though. I feel he was one of few players in the Swedish team that looked like he really wanted it in the first game, and in the second he created a lot of problems for the English defense at times. Sure, there was probably a few occations on which he should've passed, but that can probably be said about all world class strikers.

The German commentators criticised Ibrahimovic today but I actually think he had a good match today. Most of the times he stayed outside the box, avoiding getting marked by 2 men. He was literally the centre of the Swedish game, almost a playmaker, receiving a lot of passes, passing the ball around and trying some long shots. Amazingly he was also in position when the ball came into the box. Just a good player, I guess.

Zlatan is selfish that's his main problem. Yesterday in the game he had a few chances to play someone else in who was positioned better than he was. But instead he always took the shot himself. He's done this his whole career.

Zlatan is selfish that's his main problem. Yesterday in the game he had a few chances to play someone else in who was positioned better than he was. But instead he always took the shot himself. He's done this his whole career.
I agree with you to some extend but isn't this what "small" football countries expect from their star (Ibrahimovic, Adebayor,...)? He is the best player of his team, so his shots at goal even from bad positions are theoretically more likely to be successful than the shots from a teammate. Furthermore I believe that these players are driven by the thought "I'm the star, I have do so something, I have to take action!" which maybe subconsciously leads them to clinging to the ball more than necessary. I know that Ibra plays similarly at his clubs where he isn't the sole star but in the national team, I think he is expected to play like that. I'm no expert on the Swedish team though.

I agree with you to some extend but isn't this what "small" football countries expect from their star (Ibrahimovic, Adebayor,...)? He is the best player of his team, so his shots at goal even from bad positions are theoretically more likely to be successful than the shots from a teammate.

Please, you don't really believe this do you? 25 yard shot vs playing someone in who is 10 yards out. Which would you pick? Whether is he is the best player or not, he has 10 others on the pitch with him. How are they more theoretically to be more successful? That is the biggest load of crap I've heard on these forums in years :D

I've watched almost every game Ibra has played for his club(s) the last couple of years, and believe me, he's usually NOT this egoistic. I think that the English team provoced him somehow, and that he felt the desire to "show them" as it were. Sure, he takes long shots sometimes when he could've passed, but not nearly as often as he did yesterday. Still maintain that he was one of the bigger threats in these two games though, so can't really be that disappointed in his performance. It was our poor defending that got us into this mess.

I've watched almost every game Ibra has played for his club(s) the last couple of years, and believe me, he's usually NOT this egoistic. I think that the English team provoced him somehow, and that he felt the desire to "show them" as it were. Sure, he takes long shots sometimes when he could've passed, but not nearly as often as he did yesterday. Still maintain that he was one of the bigger threats in these two games though, so can't really be that disappointed in his performance. It was our poor defending that got us into this mess.

In his defence he has changed over the last 2-3 years and isn't as selfish as he once was. Especially since playing in the hole, its made him bring others into play more.

I saw yesterday on one of the clips he had an argument with Joe Hart at one stage so maybe this was the reason?

It was a very open game and could have gone either way. Both teams defended badly. But Zlatan did look dangerous especially when 1v1 with Terry and we were pushed very high.

Well, France seemed surprisingly uninterested considering they risked (and now will be) facing Spain in the quarter final, but I'm still pleased Sweden ended the Euros on a positive note. Both goals came from nice moves, and the finish from Ibrahimovic on the first goal was exceptional. :thup:

Well, France seemed surprisingly uninterested considering they risked (and now will be) facing Spain in the quarter final, but I'm still pleased Sweden ended the Euros on a positive note. Both goals came from nice moves, and the finish from Ibrahimovic on the first goal was exceptional. :thup:

Yeah I agree. Didnt see much of the game but France looked poor, and Zlatan looked very dangerous.

Archived