+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: AI Experiment - The Bandits are back for FM09

First Team Squad Member

Default Re: AI Experiment - The Bandits are back for FM09

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeeD View Post
    The OP will need to be edited to direct people who stumble across this later to the first set of updates on page 4 (or at this rate maybe even page 5 )
    I don't know if that's possible but given the number of people posting in this thread this time it could be a very good idea to have links in the OP pointing straight to the season updates to make it easier for those who only want to read Kipfizh's updates without having to scroll down hundreds of "I can't wait for an update!!!" posts.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Meitheisman View Post
    I don't know if that's possible but given the number of people posting in this thread this time it could be a very good idea to have links in the OP pointing straight to the season updates to make it easier for those who only want to read Kipfizh's updates without having to scroll down hundreds of "I can't wait for an update!!!" posts.
    Hmmm... Seems like it comes with the territory. Anyway, what, do they think they're too good to read our obsessive, repetitive, exclamatory posts of impatience mixed with yearning?

Semi Pro
    Wolverhampton, Moving back to Hartlepool in 5 days.

I check this thread about 3 times a day now

Hopefully after the first update is done Kip will be be able to use it as a template to speed up the updates without effecting quality.

Still looking forward to it.

Amateur

Maybe it'd be better the host the updates on an external site and just post links save them getting lost amongst the clutter?

Semi Pro
    Lusitânia Açores, Angra do Heroísmo - Big Euro Nation

I like the clutter. It would be a very dry experiment without all the discussion.

Amateur

I have a feeling we won the FA Cup... Can't wait for the update.

Third Team

If by 'we' you mean the Sheriffs then yes - I'm completely with you.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by iacovone View Post
    "Que Sera Sera, what ever will be, will be, The Sheriffs at Wembley, Que Sera Sera!"

:-D

Part-Timer
    Michigan/New York (depends on time of year)

With the Bandits winning the match and the idiots from the Sheriffs going on a rampage and all getting red carded.

Third Team

But stealing the trophy

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by PRDH View Post
    I like the clutter. It would be a very dry experiment without all the discussion.
    Just thinking of people who haven't been up to date with the thread from scratch having to scour through pages and pages of discussion before.. after and between updates?

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by JRHaggs View Post
    Hmmm... Seems like it comes with the territory. Anyway, what, do they think they're too good to read our obsessive, repetitive, exclamatory posts of impatience mixed with yearning?
    I don't want to talk for anyone else but the incredible amount of the same questions asked over and over again is making me feel like I'm wasting my time reading all the in-between posts and it also proves that other posters don't read them all, else they wouldn't ask questions that have already been asked and answered. So why should I waste my time reading other people's posts when clearly they haven't done it themselves?

However, I do enjoy reading other users' original questions, ideas, views of the experiment, predictions, suggestions... like Von Blade, 5ergio or Williamshankey (to name a few) were posting in the first thread for instance. I enjoyed reading their opinions of the updates but now in this thread it seems that the vast majority of the posts are not bringing anything to the experiment and are either questions that have already been asked or people stating how impatient they are and how much they'd like to read the updates.

Maybe I'm just becoming a grumpy old man but if there is 3/4 pages of "nothing relevant" (for lack of a better term) in between each season update I doubt I'll follow the whole experiment with as much interest as I have the first one or if I do I'll probably end up skipping most of the posts and only reading Kipfizh's which I feel would be a shame because like I just said I really enjoyed the comments and suggestions made by other users in the original Bandits experiment.

So basically unless I'm the only one thinking this way (in which case I'll shut up and go away after an appology for bothering you all) having some links in the OP that would take us straight to each season updates would be a helpful addition to the thread imho.

Part-Timer
    Michigan/New York (depends on time of year)

I think that as soon as we have an update, and have seen what has happened within the first season, there will be a lot more actual discussion going on because we have something to base it on. Right now its all speculation so there isn't really all that much to be said.

Third Team

I don't want to talk for anyone else but the incredible amount of the same questions asked over and over again is making me feel like I'm wasting my time reading all the in-between posts and it also proves that other posters don't read them all, else they wouldn't ask questions that have already been asked and answered. So why should I waste my time reading other people's posts when clearly they haven't done it themselves?

However, I do enjoy reading other users' original questions, ideas, views of the experiment, predictions, suggestions... like Von Blade, 5ergio or Williamshankey (to name a few) were posting in the first thread for instance. I enjoyed reading their opinions of the updates but now in this thread it seems that the vast majority of the posts are not bringing anything to the experiment and are either questions that have already been asked or people stating how impatient they are and how much they'd like to read the updates.

Maybe I'm just becoming a grumpy old man but if there is 3/4 pages of "nothing relevant" (for lack of a better term) in between each season update I doubt I'll follow the whole experiment with as much interest as I have the first one or if I do I'll probably end up skipping most of the posts and only reading Kipfizh's which I feel would be a shame because like I just said I really enjoyed the comments and suggestions made by other users in the original Bandits experiment.

So basically unless I'm the only one thinking this way (in which case I'll shut up and go away after an appology for bothering you all) having some links in the OP that would take us straight to each season updates would be a helpful addition to the thread imho.
    I do agree to some extent. I wasn't a 'long-term' follower of the first experiment but nonetheless I followed a significant portion of it. For me I found myself skipping a lot of the chat in between posts even then as it was kips posts that were the real meat of the thread. Adding links to the OP would make the thread better imo, its then down to each user if they fancy reading the banter in between.

Of course it adds more work for kip but I'm sure he'll let us know whether or not its worth it! If anything I actually think adding links in the OP would stop a lot of the idle posts as people would either skip to them or just jump out of the thread. It gets a from me

Part-Timer
    Bill Shankly \'If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing.\'

I agree meitheisman, although to some reading about this experiment as first time readers. Their excitement is obviously getting the better of them. I eagarly await an update and like you have probably skimmed over the majority of comments so far. Until we have an update, I think that we'll have the same type of comments. Hopefully once the updates start coming in we can get back to discussing the findings so far.

Anyway my Preditions

The Bandits to gain promotion in the first season.

The Sheriffs to self distruct after leading the table for much of the year. Although they will recover to win the playoffs.

A Quarter Final appearance in the League Cup will be the furthest one of the teams get in the cups. I expect 3rd round at best in the F.A Cup for both clubs ( unless they get a lucky draw of course)

Most of the bandits players will have left by January due to the ambition stat. While hopefully they will be replaced by players good enough to take them up.

Long Term

In an ideal world i'd like both clubs to progress fairly quickly up the leagues as history has shown that teams with a bit of cash can move up the leagues quickly. I'd expect both teams to be up in the premiership by year 20 with some astute decisions.

All in all I think this experiment will be once again decided b the boards the clubs inherit through the game span. Which when thinking about it makes sense.
    Last edited by williamshankley; 23-03-2009 at 21:29. Reason: typo

Part-Timer

The discussion will surelly settle after the first batch of updates. People will especially see that they feel sorry when the players start retiring, or one of the teams lost a promotion or cup in last minutes of an extra time. But that'll be it in my opinion. It all comes down to see the differences between FM07 & FM09. I'm pretty sure that we'll see more interesting reports with 22 sections even in the first year to speculate upon. The rivalry is good, but keep it clean guys Especially when you see Kip posting the updates, do not post in between the batches, I urge you. (a la c-c-c-combo breaker)

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by 5ergio View Post
    The discussion will surelly settle after the first batch of updates. People will especially see that they feel sorry when the players start retiring, or one of the teams lost a promotion or cup in last minutes of an extra time. But that'll be it in my opinion. It all comes down to see the differences between FM07 & FM09. I'm pretty sure that we'll see more interesting reports with 22 sections even in the first year to speculate upon. The rivalry is good, but keep it clean guys Especially when you see Kip posting the updates, do not post in between the batches, I urge you. (a la c-c-c-combo breaker)
    I agree.

The majority of the posts at the moment seem to reflect the excitement that has been generated by the start of the new experiment. Once updates are posted then the trivial posts (my own included ) will cease and more meaningful discussions can be had on the findings.

For example, how realistic is it for the Sheriffs to have won the FA Cup in their first season with only 4 star players ? - there I go again, sorry...
    Last edited by SpeccyMatt; 23-03-2009 at 22:04. Reason: the damn apostrophe that I keep putting in Sheriffs!

First Team Squad Member

All right guys, sorry for my previous rant, I got a bit overly excited and hopefully you're all correct and the quality of the in-between posts will increase once the updates start coming.

Quote Originally Posted by williamshankley View Post
    A Quarter Final appearance in the League Cup will be the furthest one of the teams get in the cups.
    I think clubs need to be at least in League 2 to participate in the League Cup, don't they?

And apologies for miss-spelling your name above, I just realized I missed the "l"

Semi Pro

Whilst i agree that once the first post is here, we'll have a lot mre to discuss, people posting the SAME questions over and over again is really daft. Lets keep it original, people.

FWIW i reckon the Bandits will probably go up at a canter, and the Sheriffs will follow with plenty of points but miles behind the original, still the best....BANDITS!

Sitll undecided about who to support though. Bandits = original, but Sheriffs = supposed to be the good guys. Then again, in the game, its the other way round....oooh im lost!

Kip, you take your time mate. The longer you take, the better it will be and the anticipation is fantastic!

Part-Timer
    Bill Shankly \'If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing.\'

All right guys, sorry for my previous rant, I got a bit overly excited and hopefully you're all correct and the quality of the in-between posts will increase once the updates start coming.

I think clubs need to be at least in League 2 to participate in the League Cup, don't they?

And apologies for miss-spelling your name above, I just realized I missed the "l"
    What an error Plus on the same note will they actually be in the F.A Cup if he's created them as a new club? I seem to remember something about not being in it, when you are a newly created club.
    Last edited by williamshankley; 23-03-2009 at 22:46. Reason: typo an a fix finally

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by williamshankley View Post
    What an error Plus on the same note will they actually be in the F.A Cup if he's created them as a new club? I seem to remember something about not being in it, when you are a newly created club.
    Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    All clubs in the Premier League and Football League are automatically eligible, and clubs in the next six levels of the English football league system are also eligible ***provided they have played in either the FA Cup, FA Trophy or FA Vase competitions in the previous season***. Newly formed clubs that start playing in a high league, such as AFC Wimbledon or FC United of Manchester, may not therefore play in the FA Cup in their first season.
    It all depends on whether they are newly formed or renamed and repopulated I suppose... although IIRC the original Bandits '07 didn't play in the FA Cup first time round - I'll go and check.

Amateur

Nope, my bad. They did play in the FA Cup first season round last time.

Interestingly, halfway down page one of the original thread Ter asks people to stop pestering Kip for an update!

Third Team

Probably take the FA Trophy.

Quote Originally Posted by civilservant View Post
    "Que Sera Sera, what ever will be, will be, The Sheriffs at Wembley, Que Sera Sera!"

:-D
    Whatever will be is clearly the Sheriffs beating the Bandits 2-0 in their first meeting ;)

But stealing the trophy
    Hmmm I can see the headline now "Sheriffs accused of Theft, Bandits have no leads"
    Ummm hang on one second.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeccyMatt View Post
    Nope, my bad. They did play in the FA Cup first season round last time.

Interestingly, halfway down page one of the original thread Ter asks people to stop pestering Kip for an update!
    Just using this one to post my thoughts on the pointless questions, if you put links on the first page and then people skip straight to updates (I think the links go straight to single posts not to parts of pages) then are we not more likely to see pointless questions that have already been asked as even more people will be skipping ahead instead of reading stuff? Just my thought on it.

SHERIFFS FO' LIFE

Banned

still no update yet??!!

Amateur

Just to add my say to the meaningless banter discussion.

I feel that a lot of the banter is a huge part of this thread. Like we're all sitting in a press room waiting for Kip to apear and tell us the latest, then we all discuss that while sitting around for the next update.

It is however, a little pointless to ask a question that someone else has already asked. I urge people to read all the posts before and make sure your question hasn't already been asked. Therefore it'll become a smoother thread and everyone will read all the posts, meaning no-one will repeat themselves! (Good, ey?) So, basically I agree with Lower Leagues Rule that we should all read all the posts, so that people aren't skipping ahead and asking questions that have already been asked.

Now after saying all that, I've been thinking about my own predictions:

Bandits:

Win FA Trophy in first year.
    Consecutive promotions to League 2, then more years in between due to losing players.
    Will win a lot of League Cups! (eventually)
    Most players to be gone by the beginning of the 3rd year.

Sheriffs:

FA Trophy runners-up first year.
    FA Trophy winners second year.
    Follow the Bandits up, but take longer.

Eagerly anticipating an update Kip, I can't wait!

Amateur

Looking forward to reading the report! Great effort Kipfish - thanks

Amateur

I realised that I didn't put my predictions in, here they are:

The Sherrifs will actually rise faster, because the trigger happy chairman will keep getting rid of managers until he finds one that performs. I also think that he will be more keen to spend money, however wholesale changes could disrupt the flow of the team, so it goes both ways.

The Bandits will of course rise up the leagues to reach the prem in about 30 years, but I can still see the same happening as did in the previous experiament. The chairman will be happy with slow progress, and consolidation in the leagues, therefore perhaps keeping lower caliabre managers longer than he really should do.

I also predict a whole host of tropheys in the cups for both clubs, but no european success for either for a long long time (70+ years)

Finally, all the good players (bandits and sherrifs) to move on at the end of the first season, latest.

Now bring it on

Amateur

Yeah, I've been away for a few weeks, and start of this thread make my day turns good!!!!

Amateur

Or perhaps we could open two different threads: One only for all the updates of Kip regarding the Bandits and the Sherrifs, and another one (like this thread) for questions, comments, predictions etc...

Amateur

I think the idea of putting links in the OP would be a good idea.
    I think its amazing though how much interest this thread has got. We've had the opening post and now 4 pages later. Just shows how interested we all are in the bandits and sheririfs. I for one plan on winning the lottery and employing Kip on a full time basis. No work related hassles for the man himself.

Part-Timer

Few things:

1) Apologies to anyone who spots that the last post in the thread is by me and gets excited about an update, when there isn't one
    2) The first season report is nearly done....
    3) I will link the first season report in the original post, since we're on page 4 already.
    4) Both the Bandits and the Sheriffs are in the FA Cup, as they are edits of Fisher and Bognor Regis rather than new clubs.

*goes back to writing*

Semi Pro

1) Apologies to anyone who spots that the last post in the thread is by me and gets excited about an update, when there isn't one

I did that

Looking forward to it mate.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by kipfizh View Post
    Few things:

'specially for the noobs! ;)
    Last edited by SpeccyMatt; 24-03-2009 at 13:45. Reason: damn fingers

Amateur

Talking Re: AI Experiment - The Bandits are back for FM09

Few things:

*goes back to writing*

*drumroll*

Banned

Whats a noob?

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by kashmirshazad View Post
    Whats a noob?
    Slang for Newbie/a person new to something.

Looking into it its more complex than that but basic thats it.

Link for info.
    Last edited by blowcrapup; 24-03-2009 at 16:47.

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by kashmirshazad View Post
    Whats a noob?
    You are.

roberto922

noob = been on a while but still dumb in that area

newb = new and still learning

That's how I've always seen it anyway

Amateur

I best get my predictions up before the first season report is posted.
    1) Bandits to win every game in first season.
    2) Sheriffs to drop 17 points but finish 2nd and get promoted via playoffs.
    3) Bandits to get goal difference of +145 at the end of the season.
    4) All outfield idiots to leave in january transfer window.
    5) All bandits to remain banits until the summer.
    6) All bandits to be capped by England U19s and not by their second nationality.
    And just for fun...
    7) United to win premier league, Real Madrid to win La Liga, AC Milan to win Serie A and Sporting Lisbon to win Liga Sacres.
    8) The following players to achieve the highest rating in their respective leagues: Fernando Torres, David Villa, Ronaldinho and Liedson... Not sure if you are putting up these awards, but predictions are for fun

Amateur

1) Bandits to concede fewer than eight league goals in the first season (a risky prediction, perhaps - I suspect that lack of experience may play a bigger role with defenders and goalkeepers than with attacking players.)
    2) Bandits to have a straight run to the Premier League - but perhaps paying for this with an immediate relegation.
    3) At least half of the Bandits to end their playing careers abroad.
    4) Every Bandit to earn over 100 international caps in their career - a feat that'll be matched by none of the Sheriffs.
    5) A Bandits legend to return as manager and lead the club to Premier League and European glory.
    6) Nikolas Besagno to turn out to be not quite the star he was in FM06. :'(
    7) Bonus bold prediction: Bandits to finish in the top four of the Premier League and reach a European final by 2020.
    8) Super bonus excessively bold prediction: Bandits to reach the final of the League or FA Cup in their second season - if they keep enough of their squad over the Christmas window.

edit: let me add to that

9) The Sheriffs to do nothing much, really - peaking as a mid-level Premier League side.
    Last edited by markymarky; 24-03-2009 at 21:07.

Semi Pro

Good to see The Bandits back for 09. I must try and remember to check for updates...

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by blowcrapup View Post
    Slang for Newbie/a person new to something.

Looking into it its more complex than that but basic thats it.

Link for info.
    Crikey! I didn't realise there was that much in it. Maybe that makes me a n00b?

Hang on, back to my original post, think I should have used newb.

And back to *the* original post...

"Up the Sheriffs!"

Banned

Few things:

3) I will link the first season report in the original post, since we're on page 4 already.
    4) Both the Bandits and the Sheriffs are in the FA Cup, as they are edits of Fisher and Bognor Regis rather than new clubs.

*goes back to writing*
    can't wait

Amateur

Had completely forgotten about the new experiment until today, made my day finding this thread!

Cannot wait for the first update, really curious to see how the whole European football landscape changes in the future with so many leagues being on full detail.

Also love the second nationalities addition, surely not all the Bandits will be willing to wait for their England opportunity...

Amateur

Impaitance us begining to get the best of me now!!

Still, I shall resist in deferance to Kips excellent previous updates in the last experiment.

'Mon the sheriffs!
    Last edited by civilservant; 25-03-2009 at 07:57.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by markymarky View Post
    1) Bandits to concede fewer than eight league goals in the first season (a risky prediction, perhaps - I suspect that lack of experience may play a bigger role with defenders and goalkeepers than with attacking players.)
    I will happily eat my hat if that is the case.

Youth Team

My comment about links to the first reports was a bit tongue-in-cheek and now I see it prompted another 20-30 posts of discussion!

Anyway, ahead of the first update, I have a few predictions/comments:

I fully expect the Bandits to storm the league in the first season. With the game on full detail, that should be assured. However, I wonder what will happen beyond that first season. As in the first experiment, I would expect most of the superstars to move on fairly quickly and, for the club, a lot then depends on how wise the manager/board are in the transfer market. If they bring in good replacements, the club should continue to rise. If they can't attract decent players for the level though, they may struggle, especially with the games being on full detail meaning a high rep won't help them win games so much.

As for the Sherrifs, I'm not declaring myself just yet, but I have to admit they are taking my interest more this time. The Bandits are a known quantity from the first experiment and I'm sure they will succeed eventually after recovering from the loss of the superstars and make the Premier League and maybe do even better than that. The Sherrifs on the other hand are an unknown quantity. Will money and ambition be enough? Or will the impatient chairman and unstable staff cause the club to flop? I guess we will find out soon?

Part-Timer

Season 2008-09

Club reports – Summer Transfers

Bandits

With their squad of 22 starlets in place, and their ability still unproven, the Bandits were able to enter their debut season without losing anyone. As a result, they didn’t see the need to bring any new faces in, so began the season with the same 22 players they were initially granted. In other words, they were in superb shape.

Sheriffs

As for the Sheriffs, they had more work to do. Starting with only four players and their youth team meant that they needed to get some names in, and quickly. Matters were made worse by two of their idiots, Idiot Defender and Idiot Striker, who both managed to engineer a move on September 1, and both to Blackburn for a combined fee of just over 1.5 million.

But they managed to sign only four players, and all were worse than the products of their youth team (CAs of 24, 26 and 35), except for one – 29 year old striker Charlie Griffin, who became their second best player (excluding idiots), with a CA of 54 and a PA of 71. For a Blue Square South team, he is an excellent acquisition.

All of the Sheriffs’ signings were free transfers, so they haven’t yet used any of their financial muscle. With two of the idiots gone, they are now massively reliant on the remaining pair, and young John Miller, a natural star of the division at only 16.

Part-Timer

Club reports – August-December

The Olympics meant that the Bandits started the season without a recognised goalkeeper, Argentina and Brazil taking their pair away, but it didn’t stop them from having a fine opening month, winning by an average score of 3-0 until Havant at least ran them close, keeping the score down to 3-2.

Basingstoke suffered a pair of hammerings, 6-0 in the league and 5-1 in the Setanta Shield, and that wasn’t the only cup competition the Bandits were thriving it – wins over Dulwich Hamlet, Worthing and Lewes saw them through to the first round proper of the FA Cup, where they would meet League One Oldham.

By the time they faced the Sheriffs for the first time, not in the league but in the Setanta Shield, the Bandits had won all fourteen of their matches in all competitions, conceding only four times in the process, with their great rivals shrugging off the loss of two of the their stars pre-season to move into a comfortable play-off position, winning ten of fourteen.

The match between them was not close, however, with the Bandits triumphing 4-2 in a game that saw the final scoreline flatter their opponents. It turned out to be a bad week for the Sheriffs, as they followed that defeat up with another to Bromley in the final qualifying round for the FA Cup, denying them the opportunity to test themselves against the big boys.

The Bandits continued to show strength, eventually finishing the calendar year with twenty wins from twenty in the league, including a 7-0 demolition of Thurrock that would be the biggest win of their season. Two more rounds of the Setanta Shield were successfully negotiated, giving them a quarter final against Conference Ebbsfleet in the new year.

They cruised through the first round of the FA Trophy, beating Whitby 6-0, but the big tie was their first against league opposition, when they faced Oldham in the FA Cup. Striker 1 gave them the lead at Boundary Park, but Kevin Maher’s reply earned the League One side a replay, and averted an early cup shock.

They only delayed it, though. After another 1-1 draw at Ocean View Park in the replay, Striker 1 popped up again to notch an extra time winner to send the Bandits through to round two. A 1-0 win over Conference Burton in the next round set up an excellent tie away to Championship Watford in the third round.

All in all, the first half of the season couldn’t have gone better, and the icing on the cake was delivered just before Christmas, Striker 1 and Striker 2 scoring in a 2-0 win over the Sheriffs in their first league meeting. The rivalry was all too much for Left Mid 2, however, who was sent off in the first half.

As for the Sheriffs, that loss to the Bandits was their first since their previous loss to them in the Setanta Shield, and would be their last of the year. Their good form saw them through the FA Trophy first round, albeit via a replay against Bromley, their bogey side (they had already lost to them in league and FA Cup), and into second place in the league.

The Bandits were running away with the Blue Square South, but the Sheriffs were securing second spot. Both looked good for promotion, but their players were certainly getting noticed. Could they get through January unscathed?

Part-Timer

Club reports – January Transfers

Bandits

With the Bandits flying, their players attracted inevitable attention from the bigger clubs, and January saw a massive exodus, 18 of the 22 moving on, leaving only Goalkeeper 2, Left Back 2, Centre Mid 1 and Striker 1 behind. The destinations were spread far and wide, for more details check out the player reports section.

But the total initial fee for the great 18 was a fairly paltry 13.25m, although all have clauses built into them that may see the Bandits handsomely rewarded in the future.

So only four starlets remain, and although this still forms a very impressive spine, and given their huge lead in the division, they should be enough to clinch promotion, it does mean that the squad is exceptionally thin, and the manager had a serious job on to rebuild.

And rebuild he did, signing thirteen players, most of which were very young, but some who were coming to their peak and could slot straight into the side. The best was right wing back Simon Spender, who at 23 has a CA of 62 and a PA of 92. Anything above 60 CA is excellent in this division, and with some way to improve he could be useful for a few years.

Behind him came a young striker, Josh Klein-Davis, who at 19 has a CA of 58 but a PA of only 69, so he is unlikely to get much better. That cannot be said of the other 50+ CA signing, 22 year old central defender and central midfielder Nathan Mulligan, whose CA of 56 can rise as high as 135.

One other player has a PA of over 100, and he is the only goalkeeper beyond Goalkeeper 2 – 17 year old Gary Inglis has a CA of 48 and a PA of 127, and is an excellent prospect.

The manager was never going to be able to buy huge stars given their lowly status, but he has brought in a bunch of young players that should augment the four remaining stars he has.

Bandits Transfers

Sheriffs

With only two idiots remaining, the Sheriffs had already had to increase the numbers in their squad, and when Idiot Midfielder followed the other two outfield stars in leaving the club (to Celtic for 1m), they needed further strengthening.

And while the manager is a plank, he does recognise squad weakness, and replaced the one outgoing player with six signings. Unfortunately, it seemed that no-one of note wanted to come, and while the Bandits managed to sign three players with a CA of 50 or above, the Sheriffs didn’t manage any, 46 being their best.

There is no doubt that the Bandits have the stronger squad, but both are considerably weaker than before January. The Sheriffs will be more settled, as much of their youth team has been playing since the start of the season, but they only have one idiot left, the goalkeeper. The Bandits, meanwhile, have lost eighteen players, but still have great talent in the four that remain, and that should be enough.

Sheriffs Transfers

Part-Timer

Bandits report - squad

Top 20 in Squad (sorted by CA)

Name, Pos, Age, CA-PA

(excluding starlets, of which four remain)

Spender, 23, D/WB R, 62-92 – new signing
    Klein-Davis, 19, ST, 58-69 – new signing
    Mulligan, 22, D/MC, 56-135 – new signing
    Inglis, 17, GK, 48-127 – new signing
    Hatton, 21, D/MC, 48-70 – new signing
    Matthews, 26, WB RL/AM RLC, 44-51 – new signing
    Johnston, 26, AM RLC/FC, 40-52 – new signing
    Walker, 21, D RC, 36-65 – new signing
    Robinson, 18, ST, 34-87 – new signing
    McFadden, 22, AML/ST, 31-47 – new signing
    Walton, 18, DC, 29-95 – new signing
    Morrison, 28, MC, 25-50 – new signing
    Farid, 26, MC, 21-88 – new signing

Players in last season’s top 20 who have left the club:
    None

Players in last season’s top 20 who have dropped out of the top 20:
    None

Starting the season with 22 outstanding talents, the Bandits are left with four, plus the thirteen new signings above, giving them a total squad size of a paltry 17. Spender, Klein-Davis and Mulligan are excellent now, with the latter able to massively improve, with Inglis is also a real talent.

Notable others:
    None

CA of X or above:

190 : 0
    180 : 0
    170 : 0
    160 : 0
    150 : 0
    140 : 0
    130 : 0
    120 : 0
    110 : 0
    100 : 0
    90 : 0
    80 : 0
    70 : 0
    60 : 1
    50 : 3

There are players that serve a purpose in the Blue Square South, even with a CA under 50, but realistically they aren’t going to set the world alight, so let’s analyse only those with 50 CA or more. Of course, four starlets remain, so the Bandits still have seven players that are strong for the league. With an excellent first half of the season, it should be enough.

Part-Timer

Sheriffs report - squad

Top 20 in Squad (sorted by CA)

Name, Pos, Age, CA-PA

(excluding idiots, of which one remains)

Miller, 16, MR, 66-177 (-)
    Griffin, 29, ST, 54-71 – new signing
    Jones, 17, MC, 47-115 (+4)
    Clifford, 17, DC, 47-105 (+4)
    Rigby, 20, GK, 46-51 – new signing
    Lees, 16, MC, 45-73 (+6)
    Martin, 17, GK, 41-111 (+7)
    Fairclough, 17, ST, 41-110 (+4)
    Garvey, 16, DC, 40-40 (-)
    Rigley, 20, D/M L, 39-100 – new signing
    Whittingham, 16, MC, 38-53 (+3)
    Hands, 24, MC, 36-50 – new signing
    Tully, 33, D RC/MC, 35-73 – new signing
    Swaney, 21, D RC, 35-60 – new signing
    Hook, 16, DC, 33-112 (+4)
    Thom, 19, DC, 33-107 – new signing
    Bull, 20, ST, 26-65 – new signing
    Ormand, 19, GK, 25-89 – new signing
    Bennett, 33, AML, 24-50 – new signing

Players in last season’s top 20 who have left the club:

None

Players in last season’s top 20 who have dropped out of the top 20:
    None

The Sheriffs have lost three of their four star idiots, but having already started to rebuild in the summer, they now have a bigger squad than the Bandits, with 20 players including Idiot Goalkeeper.

However, many are quite useless, and it will concern them that the best of the bunch, John Miller, hasn’t improved at all throughout the season. His PA seems a long way away. But they have eight players with a PA of 100 or more, so they don’t need signings to improve.

Notable others:
    None

CA of X or above:

190 : 0
    180 : 0
    170 : 0
    160 : 0
    150 : 0
    140 : 0
    130 : 0
    120 : 0
    110 : 0
    100 : 0
    90 : 0
    80 : 0
    70 : 0
    60 : 1
    50 : 2

A bigger squad they may have, but it remains the weaker of the two.

Part-Timer

Club reports – January-May

With the Bandits losing so many of their star names, and the Sheriffs going down to one star, both sets of fans feared the second half of the season, hoping for anything but an anticlimax.

The Bandits began with an FA Cup third round game at Watford, but despite putting in a decent performance, were to lose the first game in their club’s history, going down 2-0. But the league form
    was still good, ending January with a pair of 5-0 wins, and the month also saw a triumph over York in the FA Trophy second round, after a replay,and a 2-1 win over Ebbsfleet in the Setanta Shield quarter final. Both teams play in the Conference.

And then the performances began to dip, as the effect of losing so many star players kicked in. Three draws in the league ruined their 100% record, Oxford ended the Setanta Shield dream in the semi-final stage, winning 1-0 in a match that could’ve finished 3-0 or 4-0, so poor were the Bandits that day. And the final cup tournament didn’t last much longer, Woking knocking them out of the FA Trophy 2-0.

The Sheriffs were faring even worse, opening 2009 with three consecutive defeats, two in the league and a 3-0 drubbing by Oxford (yes, them again) in the FA Trophy. But the cup dreams ending seemed to focus them on the league, and an eight match winning streak saw them secure second, and go into their biggest match of the season, at home to the Bandits, in great form.

And that form showed – the Sheriffs ran out 2-0 winners to inflict the Bandits’ first ever league defeat, and gain revenge for the reverse scoreline earlier in the season.

It would be the Bandits’ only loss of the league season, and with only four draws slowing them down they ended the campaign winning the league on 115 points, 33 clear of the Sheriffs, who closed out the season in second.

So the attention turned to the playoffs, and the Sheriffs opened with a comfortable 1-0 win at Chelmsford, asserting their superiority on a side that finished eleven points behind them. But the second leg turned up a shock when the visitors cancelled out the Sheriffs’ advantage early, and then went 2-0 up. A goal back took the tie to extra time, and when Chelmsford went down to ten men the Sheriffs sniffed a chance. But it was Chelmsford who scored again, winning 3-1 on the day, and 3-2 on aggregate.

They went on to get promoted, winning in the final, and condemning the Sheriffs to a second season in the Blue Square South. As for the Bandits, it was onwards and upwards.

Bandit Honours:
    Blue Square South (2009)

Sheriff Honours:
    None

Part-Timer

Bandits report - Season summary

2008-09
    Blue Square South: (Pos 1), P 42, W 37, D 4, L 1, F 112, A 15, GD +97, Pts 115
    (Media Prediction: 8th)
    League
    FA Cup: Third Round
    FA Trophy: Fourth Round
    Setanta Shield: Semi Final
    Last edited by kipfizh; 25-03-2009 at 11:56.

Part-Timer

Sheriffs report - Season summary

2008-09
    Blue Square South: (Pos 2), P 42, W 26, D 4, L 12, F 72, A 37, GD +35, Pts 82
    (Media Prediction: 22nd)
    League
    FA Cup: Fourth Qualifying Round
    FA Trophy: Second Round
    Setanta Shield: South Second Round
    Last edited by kipfizh; 25-03-2009 at 11:56.

Part-Timer

Bandits report - Best and Worst

General
    Stats

New records:
    Too many to mention

This season:

Best player – Striker 1, 7.87
    Top scorer – Striker 1, 34
    Worst player – Hatton, 5.95

Finance:

The Bandits and the Sheriffs continue to dominate the rich list.
    Rich Clubs

Bandits Balance – £63.3m, with a transfer budget of around £20m.
    Sheriffs Balance - £30.5m, with a transfer budget of around £11m.

Part-Timer

Player reports - Superstars

Goalkeeper 1 (England/Argentina)
    2008-09, Bandits, CA 150: Apps 30, Conc 11, Cln 22, MoM 0, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.31
    Transfers to Sunderland for £1.9m
    2008-09, Sunderland, CA 158: Apps 12, Conc 14, Cln 5, MoM 1, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 6.78

Notes: Moves on from the Bandits in January, and narrowly avoids relegation with Sunderland, finishing 17th in the Premiership. Is a regular in Argentina’s youth side and prefers the South Americans as an international option.

Goalkeeper 2 (England/Brazil)
    2008-09, Bandits, CA 153: Apps 22 (1), Conc 14, Cln 12, MoM 1, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 7.01

Notes: Replaces Goalkeeper 1 in goal for the Bandits for the second half of the season, but will probably not be far behind him in leaving. Hasn’t appeared for either of his national youth sides yet.

Left Back 1 (England/Croatia)
    2008-09, Bandits, CA 150: Apps 22, Gls 1, Asts 7, MoM 0, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.21
    Transfers to Everton for £625k
    2008-09, Everton, CA 161: Apps 11, Gls 1, Asts 0, MoM 0, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 6.81

Notes: Played well for the Bandits, but hasn’t set the world alight with Everton yet. However, he has already made his England Under 21 debut.

Left Back 2 (England/Denmark)
    2008-09, Bandits, CA 156: Apps 41 (1), Gls 1, Asts 16, MoM 8, YC 7, RC 1, Avg 7.35

Notes: Has an awesome season with the Bandits, claiming a massive sixteen assists and playing to a very high standard. He has played for England at Under 19 level.

Right Back 1 (England/Equatorial Guinea)
    2008-09, Bandits, CA 150: Apps 36, Gls 1, Asts 16, MoM 3, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 7.48
    Transfers to Fulham for £1.2m
    2008-09, Fulham, CA 165: Apps 10, Gls 0, Asts 0, MoM 0, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 6.52

Notes: Like Left Back 1, was a marauding full back for the Bandits, setting up goal after goal, but then moved to Fulham and has so far struggled to adapt to the Premiership. But Fulham have survived, and he has made his England Under 21 debut.

Right Back 2 (England/France)
    2008-09, Bandits, CA 150: Apps 6, Gls 0, Asts 3, MoM 2, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 7.72
    Transfers to Rennes for £220k
    2008-09, Rennes, CA 155: Apps 9, Gls 0, Asts 2, MoM 0, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 6.84

Notes: Didn’t play much for the Bandits as Right Back had the position sewn up, but Rennes saw enough to take him to France, where he has spent most of his time learning his trade in the reserves. He has
    been twice capped by the French Under 21 team, and appears to be switching his allegiance across the Channel.

Centre Back 1 (England/Germany)
    2008-09, Bandits, CA 150: Apps 35, Gls 1, Asts 6, MoM 0, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 7.08
    Transfers to Fulham for £1.4m
    2008-09, Fulham, CA 165: Apps 15, Gls 0, Asts 0, MoM 1, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 6.83

Notes: A busy season for the 17 year old as he is a regular at the back for the Bandits, before moving to Fulham and playing a fair amount for them too. Hasn’t been called up at any level for either country yet.

Centre Back 2 (England/Holland)
    2008-09, Bandits, CA 150: Apps 25, Gls 1, Asts 2, MoM 2, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 7.36
    Transfers to Lyon for £775k
    2008-09, Lyon, CA 157: Apps 2, Gls 0, Asts 0, MoM 0, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 6.35

Notes: After a very decent start to his Bandits career, he also moves to France, joining powerhouse Lyon and serving his education in their reserves. He has played twice for the Dutch Under 21 side.

Centre Back 3 (England/Italy)
    2008-09, Bandits, CA 150: Apps 9, Gls 0, Asts 0, MoM 1, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 7.28
    Transfers to Chievo for £75k
    2008-09, Chievo, CA 157: Apps 16, Gls 1, Asts 0, MoM 3, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 6.67

Notes: Doesn’t feature much for the Bandits, but catches the eye of the Italian scouts, first joining Chievo and then featuring for the Italian Under 21 side. His choice of Chievo might not be a great one – they finished with 15 points in Serie A, coming bottom by miles.

Centre Back 4 (England/Jamaica)
    2008-09, Bandits, CA 150: Apps 9 (1), Gls 0, Asts 1, MoM 2, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 7.09
    Transfers to Hibernian for £30k
    2008-09, Hibernian, CA 154: Apps 14, Gls 1, Asts 1, MoM 0, YC 3, RC 1, Avg 6.68

Notes: Not a first choice for the Bandits in the first half of the season, he moves north of the border to Hibernian in January and struggles a little there. He has played twice for the England Under 21 side.

Left Mid 1 (England/Kazakhstan)
    2008-09, Bandits, CA 150: Apps 23 (2), Gls 10, Asts 10, MoM 0, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.03
    Transfers to Man City for £1.1m
    2008-09, Man City, CA 165: Apps 6, Gls 0, Asts 0, MoM 0, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 6.45

Notes: Does well from the wing for the Bandits, scoring and setting up his fair share of goals, and catches the eye of moneybags Man City, who snap him up in January. Hasn’t featured much for his new club yet, but has been in the England Under 21 side.

Left Mid 2 (England/Luxembourg)
    2008-09, Bandits, CA 150: Apps 16 (1), Gls 6, Asts 3, MoM 1, YC 3, RC 1, Avg 7.06
    Transfers to Everton for £1m
    2008-09, Everton, CA 167: Apps 17, Gls 2, Asts 1, MoM 0, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 6.60

Notes: Starts well for the Bandits, and then gets his big move to the Premiership, where he is learning his trade. At 167, his CA is the highest among any of the starlets, and his ability has been noticed by the England Under 21 side, who have played him twice. He has scored twice in those games.

Right Mid 1 (England/Mexico)
    2008-09, Bandits, CA 150: Apps 30, Gls 11, Asts 11, MoM 1, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.11
    Transfers to Blackburn for £1.3m
    2008-09, Blackburn, CA 165: Apps 14, Gls 6, Asts 1, MoM 0, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 6.91

Notes: Made a fantastic start to his career, destroying defences in the Blue Square South before making his move to Blackburn. He is scoring at a decent rate, but will want to raise his overall performance level. He is now in the England Under 21 side.

Right Mid 2 (England/New Zealand)
    2008-09, Bandits, CA 150: Apps 11 (1), Gls 4, Asts 8, MoM 0, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 7.26
    Transfers to Rangers for £220k
    2008-09, Rangers, CA 160: Apps 19, Gls 4, Asts 4, MoM 0, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 6.58

Notes: Plays well whenever called on by the Bandits, but cannot oust Right Mid 1 and moves on to Rangers, where he is struggling a little, but in the England Under 21 side.

Centre Mid 1 (England/Oman)
    2008-09, Bandits, CA 155: Apps 52 (1), Gls 17, Asts 13, MoM 2, YC 9, RC 1, Avg 6.93

Notes: A regular all season with the Bandits, he stays around and is directly involved in thirty goals throughout the season. But his overall play could be improved, and that is reflected in the fact that he has no international experience, even at youth level.

Centre Mid 2 (England/Portugal)
    2008-09, Bandits, CA 150: Apps 31 (1), Gls 10, Asts 11, MoM 2, YC 7, RC 0, Avg 7.04
    Transfers to Sporting for £1.1m
    2008-09, Sporting, CA 163: Apps 17, Gls 3, Asts 2, MoM 1, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 6.86

Notes: Played solidly for the Bandits and then decided to follow his Portuguese roots, joining Sporting Lisbon and scoring on his debut for the Portuguese Under 21 side.

Centre Mid 3 (England/Qatar)
    2008-09, Bandits, CA 150: Apps 15 (4), Gls 9, Asts 4, MoM 0, YC 5, RC 1, Avg 7.21
    Transfers to Bolton for £675k
    2008-09, Bolton, CA 164: Apps 12, Gls 1, Asts 2, MoM 0, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 6.77

Notes: Another who starts well for the Bandits and then moves on, joining Premiership strugglers Bolton. He has now played for the England Under 21 side, and shows no sign of moving to Qatar anytime soon.

Centre Mid 4 (England/Rwanda)
    2008-09, Bandits, CA 150: Apps 4 (3), Gls 2, Asts 1, MoM 0, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 6.93
    Transfers to Reading for £75k
    2008-09, Reading, CA 154: Apps 22, Gls 3, Asts 2, MoM 0, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 6.71

Notes: He may not be having a great season, but Reading have managed an absolute steal there, getting him for 75k. He helps Reading get promoted from the Championship, through the playoffs, and has made his debut for the England Under 21 team.

Striker 1 (England/Spain)
    2008-09, Bandits, CA 165: Apps 46 (4), Gls 34, Asts 12, MoM 14, YC 8, RC 0, Avg 7.87

Notes: Stuck with the Bandits all season, and what a season he had – 34 goals and an all round legendary year. His average rating is stunning, and he will surely be poached by a bigger club in the summer. Spain are trying to tempt him, playing him at Under 19 level, but he appears to have no preference just yet.

Striker 2 (England/Thailand)
    2008-09, Bandits, CA 150: Apps 32 (3), Gls 22, Asts 5, MoM 8, YC 9, RC 1, Avg 7.96
    Transfers to Newcastle for £1.5m
    2008-09, Newcastle, CA 160: Apps 12, Gls 4, Asts 1, MoM 0, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.06

Notes: After a wonderful first half of the season for the Bandits, he moved to Newcastle and made a decent start there too. He hasn't featured at international level yet, but has already stated his desire to only play to England.

Striker 3 (England/USA)
    2008-09, Bandits, CA 150: Apps 5 (5), Gls 6, Asts 1, MoM 1, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 8.04
    Transfers to Sheff Utd for £55k
    2008-09, Sheff Utd, CA 161: Apps 23, Gls 10, Asts 5, MoM 4, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.14

Notes: Impressed every time he played for the Bandits, although he didn't get many chances, and then moved to Championship Sheff Utd in January, where he started very well as they reached the playoffs. He has already played three times for England Under 21s.

Striker 4 (England/Vanuatu)
    2008-09, Bandits, CA 150: Apps 15 (4), Gls 14, Asts 4, MoM 3, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 7.85
    Transfers to Dundee Utd for £85k
    2008-09, Dundee Utd, CA 156: Apps 18, Gls 11, Asts 1, MoM 4, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 7.13

Notes: Scored plenty both for the Bandits, and for Scottish side Dundee Utd when he moved north of the border. He has featured for England Under 21s.

Part-Timer

Player reports - Idiots

Idiot Goalkeeper (England/Wales)
    2008-09, Sheriffs, CA 150: Apps 51, Conc 46, Cln 22, MoM 5, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 6.99

Notes: Has a decent season for his club, but is constantly in the press, complaining about personal issues that are distracting him from the game, starting as early as October. By the end of the season, he had completely fallen out with the manager, whom he dislikes. His CA does not rise at all, but he does make an appearance for the England Under 19 side.

Idiot Defender (England/Northern Mariana)
    2008-09, Sheriffs, CA 150: Apps 5, Gls 0, Asts 3, MoM 1, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 7.46
    Transfers to Blackburn for £700k
    2008-09, Blackburn, CA 145: Apps 18, Gls 0, Asts 1, MoM 1, YC 3, RC 3, Avg 6.64

Notes: Oh dear. He started well for the Sheriffs, but left at the end of the summer transfer window to join Blackburn. He is winning few friends there, having managed three red cards in eighteen games, but the worst news is that his CA has dropped five points due to his appalling attitude towards training. He has featured for England Under 21s, but if he wants a stellar career he needs to put in the effort.

Idiot Midfielder (England/Yemen)
    2008-09, Sheriffs, CA 150: Apps 23, Gls 9, Asts 9, MoM 0, YC 12, RC 3, Avg 6.80
    Transfers to Celtic for £1m
    2008-09, Celtic, CA 150: Apps 15 (3), Gls 2, Asts 2, MoM 0, YC 5, RC 1, Avg 6.46

Notes: Manages to out do Idiot Defender by getting sent off four times in the season, three times for the Sheriffs, where he scored plenty but didn't set the world alight, and once for Celtic after his move to Scotland, where he struggled. His CA, like the other idiots, fails to improve, and his international career has so far been limited to England Under 19 appearances.

Idiot Striker (England/Zambia)
    2008-09, Sheriffs, CA 150: Apps 5, Gls 5, Asts 0, MoM 0, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 7.46
    Transfers to Blackburn for £775k
    2008-09, Blackburn, CA 149: Apps 2 (2), Gls 1, Asts 0, MoM 0, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 6.67

Notes: Started really well for the Sheriffs but left for Blackburn in a double deal that included Idiot Defender. Hasn't featured much for his new club, and with his CA slipping a little he won't unless his attitude improves. He has, however, played three time for England Under 21s.

Part-Timer

Competitions - England

Premiership

Man Utd retain the Premiership for the third successive year, two points clear of Arsenal. Hull impress by finishing sixth, while Blackburn’s two idiots and one superstar help them to seventh.

At the bottom, newly promoted Stoke join Wigan and Portsmouth in going down. Preston, Birmingham and Reading come up from the Championship.

In the cups, Man Utd secure the double by beating Spurs 2-1 in the FA Cup final, scoring twice in the last ten minutes, while Chelsea beat Arsenal 3-2 in a League Cup final thriller.

Chelsea also lifted the Champions League trophy for the first time, beating Barcelona 2-1 in the final, while AC Milan lifted the UEFA Cup, beating Seville on penalties. Man City went the furthest of the English sides, making the last 16, before throwing away a 3-0 first leg victory by being spanked 5-0 by Seville in Spain.

Part-Timer

Premiership Analysis - Reputation

(league position in bold)
    1 (-). Man Utd (1) - 9398
    2 (-). Chelsea (3) - 9383
    3 (-). Liverpool (4) - 9206
    4 (-). Arsenal (2) - 8880
    5 (-). Tottenham (5) - 7483
    6 (-). Man City (12) - 7235
    7 (-). Everton (8) - 7165
    8 (-). Aston Villa (10) - 7033
    9 (-). Newcastle (13) - 6970
    10 (-). Blackburn (7) - 6851
    11 (-). West Ham (14) - 6838
    12 (-). Middlesbrough (11) - 6758
    13 (-). Bolton (16) - 6572
    14 (-). Sunderland (17) - 6390
    15 (-). West Brom (9) - 6175
    16 (-). Fulham (15) - 6135
    17 (-). Portsmouth (18) - 5802
    18 (-). Wigan (19) - 5798
    19 (-). Stoke (20) - 5769
    20 (-). Hull (6) - 5695

Promoted sides
    Preston – 5781
    Birmingham – 6326
    Reading – 6107

Elsewhere

Bandits – 1455 (+505)
    Sheriffs – 1023 (+73)

It already seems that reputation is not easily affected by one good season – Hull finished sixth but still have a lower score than the three relegated sides. Elsewhere, the Big Four are way ahead of the rest.

Birmingham and Reading look to be in a fairly decent position, but of the promoted sides, Championship winners Preston look most vulnerable.

The Bandits gain a very healthy 505 reputation points as they get promoted, but the Sheriffs are still third bottom in the Blue Square South reputation list and will need to spend their money to bring in the required talent.

Overachievers : Hull, West Brom
    Underachievers : Man City
    Title Prediction : Arsenal to take the title away from United
    Relegation Prediction : Preston and Reading to join Sunderland in the drop zone.

Part-Timer

Competitions – Blue Square South

Best players in the Blue Square South (excluding starlets and idiots):

1 (-). Ehiogu (Dorchester, 36, DC, 80-150)
    2 (-). Oakes (Team Bath, 35, GK, 73-130)
    3 (-). Powell (Worcester, 39, D/WB L, 71-145)
    4 (-). Boland (Dorchester, 33, DM, 69-115)
    5 (3). Holmes (Chelmsford, 21, AMR, 66-123)
    6 (1). Miller (Sheriffs, 16, MR, 66-177)
    7 (-). Cummings (Dorchester, 28, D/WB L, 65-95)
    8 (2). Main (AFC Wimbledon, 28, FC, 65-70)
    9 (4). Rainford (Chelmsford, 30, MC, 64-75)
    10 (-). Fowler (Eastleigh, 25, DM, 63-97)

Yes, that really is Ugo Ehiogu at the top of the list. With clubs increasingly signing former top flight players who are past their best, Miller is knocked down to sixth.

Part-Timer

Competitions – Around the world

Your annual guide to the major competition winners from across the globe:

World

World Club Cup – Man Utd

Europe

Champions League – Chelsea
    UEFA Cup – AC Milan

Belgium
    Jupiler Pro League – Anderlecht
    Confidis Cup – Anderlecht

England
    Premiership – Man Utd
    FA Cup – Man Utd
    League Cup - Chelsea

France
    Ligue 1 – Lyon
    Coupe de France – Lilles
    Coupe de la Ligue – Lyon

Germany
    Bundesliga – Bayern Munich
    DFB-Pokal – Bayern Munich

Italy
    Serie A – Inter Milan
    Italian Cup – Roma

Netherlands
    Eredivisie – PSV
    Dutch Cup – PSV

Portugal
    Liga Sagres – Benfica
    Taca de Portugal – Porto
    Carlsberg Cup – Benfica

Scotland
    SPL – Rangers
    Scottish Cup – Celtic
    Co-operative Cup – Rangers

Spain
    La Liga – Real Madrid
    Copa del Rey – Getafe

South America

Copa Libertadores – LDU de Quito
    Copa Sudamericana – Sao Paulo

Argentina
    Primera A – River Plate

Brazil
    Brasileiro – Cruzeiro
    Copa do Brasil – Sport Recife

International
    World Cup – n/a
    African Cup of Nations – n/a
    Asian Cup – n/a
    European Championships – n/a
    Gold Cup – n/a
    Oceania Nations Cup – n/a
    Copa America – n/a
    Confederations Cup – n/a
    Olympics – Ivory Coast

Part-Timer

Summary

An excellent first season for the Bandits sees just one league defeat (to the Sheriffs) on their way to the Blue Square South title and promotion. The conference leagues are notoriously difficult to get out of, with their minimal promotion zones, so they've done well to escape at the first opportunity.

It will disappoint them slightly that they didn't make any of the three cup finals, especially having started the season so strongly, but their FA Cup performance was excellent, and the rest was made difficult by the exodus of superstars in January.

They now have four of the starlets still available, but it would be a surprise to see any of them last beyond the summer. So it is crucial that they rebuild, using their huge pool of money, to put up a decent challenge in the Blue Square Premier.

As for the Sheriffs, it was a season that promised so much but eventually fell flat at the end. Having ended the season strongly, they seemed certain to follow the Bandits up through the playoffs, but fell in the semi final and will now have to start all over again. This time, they will probably be without all the idiots – the goalkeeper is the only one left and he can't stand the manager anymore.

Elsewhere, the players moved all around Europe, with a few heading to Scotland, and some of those with big second nations representing those countries at youth level. None of them have a full cap to their name yet, but that is surely only a matter of time. As for the idiots, three out of the four have moved, but none of them have managed an improvement in CA, two seeing their ability decline. If that continues, they are not going to have successful careers at all.

The Premiership was won by Man Utd again, with they and Chelsea picking up cup honours. There were no major surprises around the Europe when it came to league winners, but that will probably change in time.

Bandit’s former manager watch

No former managers

Part-Timer

World View – Club Reputation

The top twenty clubs in the world, based on their reputation:

1 (-). Real Madrid – 9493
    2 (-). Barcelona – 9490
    3 (-). Man Utd – 9398
    4 (-). Chelsea – 9383
    5 (-). Liverpool – 9206
    6 (-). Inter Milan – 9150
    7 (-). AC Milan – 8900
    8 (-). Arsenal – 8880
    9 (-). Bayern Munich – 8785
    10 (-). Juventus – 8736
    11 (-). Sevilla – 8667
    12 (-). Valencia – 8645
    13 (-). Roma – 8511
    14 (-). Lyon – 8447
    15 (-). Real Zaragoza – 8317
    16 (-). Porto – 8179
    17 (-). Fiorentina – 8100
    18 (-). Benfica – 8071
    19 (-). Boca Juniors – 7967
    20 (-). River Plate - 7953

Part-Timer

World View - Ones to watch

Your annual guide to the stars of tomorrow:

Loic Pelletier (ESTAC/France, 16, MC, 86/197) is a central midfielder in the French Ligue 2, playing for Estac’s youth team. He has huge potential but a long way to go.

Previous tips

None

Part-Timer

World View - World beaters

Kaka (AC Milan/Brazil, 27, AM C, 194/195) appears - the great Brazilian breaks the 190 CA boundary and moves straight into a joint top position. A regular scorer for AC Milan, he has a very decent season and helps them lift the UEFA Cup.
    Kaka

Lionel Messi (Barcelona/Argentina, 21, AM RLC, 194-195) gains four points of CA to stay joint top with Kaka. He has an outstanding season with Barcelona, scoring 22 goals and averaging a very healthy 7.45. He should be on this list for years.
    Lionel Messi

Cristiano Ronaldo (Man United/Portugal, 24, AM RL, 192/195) gains two CA points but slips to third as Kaka and Messi make bigger strides. Has a good but not spectacular season, but lifts the Premiership and FA Cup nonetheless.
    Cristiano Ronaldo

Number of 190+ CA players : 3 (+1) (excluding starlets and idiots)
    Number of 180+ CA players : 18 (+6) (excluding starlets and idiots)
    Number of 170+ CA players : 85 (+25) (excluding starlets and idiots)

Number of 190+ PA players : 24 (-) (excluding starlets and idiots)
    Number of 180+ PA players : 146 (+4) (excluding starlets and idiots)
    Number of 170+ PA players : 531 (+16) (excluding starlets and idiots)

The future looks slightly more filled with stars as those with high PA increase by a small margin, but it seems there were plenty waiting to become stars already – the number of players with a high CA has risen sharply.

Part-Timer

World View - Distribution of 180+ CA players

The clubs

Real Madrid – 3 (-) (189, 183, 180)
    Chelsea – 3 (-) (186, 181, 180)
    Barcelona – 2 (-) (194, 180)
    Man Utd – 2 (-) (192, 181)
    Liverpool – 2 (-) (183, 183)
    AC Milan – 1 (-) (194)
    Juventus – 1 (-) (188)
    Arsenal – 1 (-) (186)
    Lyon – 1 (-) (184)
    Roma – 1 (-) (184)
    Atletico Madrid – 1 (-) (181)
    Total – 18 (+6)

Real Madrid and Chelsea lead the way with three each, as the number of stars reaches eighteen.

The leagues

England – 8 (-)
    Spain – 6 (-)
    Italy – 3 (-)
    France – 1 (-)
    Total – 18 (+6)

The Premiership leads the way, and the list contains no nations you would not expect.

The nationalities

Spain – 5 (-)
    England – 3 (-)
    Argentina – 2 (-)
    Italy – 2 (-)
    France – 2 (-)
    Brazil – 1 (-)
    Portugal – 1 (-)
    Ghana – 1 (-)
    Czech Rep – 1 (-)
    Total – 18 (+6)

Spain lead the way, but there are only nine nations on the list, a very thin spread of talent. Hopefully that will change in time.

Nottingham Forest Researcher

So Kip, 2 of the Sheriffs and 1 Bandit at Blackburn... Interesting. Is there any signs of a fall out yet?

Part-Timer

Right, there you have it, a long time in coming, but hopefully now you've seen it you'll understand why it took so long!

I have linked to the first update post in the first post of the thread.

Now I want your feedback. In the FM07 edition, I eventually posted the update in two sections - the first described all squad changes in the two transfer windows, so that people could speculate on the season based on transfers, and then the rest of the report came after. However, this had flaws - seeing January transfers before the first half of the season report could give the game away, especially if there had been a change in manager.

So, we have a few options:
    1) Post the whole thing in one go, as this time.
    2) Post in three sections: a) Summer transfers, b) First half of the season report, January transfers, squad reports and c) everything else
    3) Post in two sections: a) Summer transfers, first half of the season report, January transfers, squad reports and b) everything else

Thoughts?

Also, let me know what sections (if any) you're not interested in, and whether there is any info missing that you would like. Those coming from the original experiment may notice there is no First XI Analysis section, but that has been delayed until the Bandits settle in a division - at the moment the whole team will change every year so analysing the strengths and weaknesses of the first team is a little pointless.

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by robterrace View Post
    So Kip, 2 of the Sheriffs and 1 Bandit at Blackburn... Interesting. Is there any signs of a fall out yet?
    No, not yet, but they weren't actually set to hate each other, only the clubs. I'd actually expect the idiots to fall out with each other in time.

Amateur

Hi Kip, very interesting and a great read, I really like your summaries

On the post front I think you should post them altogether as you did this time

Thanks!!

Nottingham Forest Researcher

No, not yet, but they weren't actually set to hate each other, only the clubs. I'd actually expect the idiots to fall out with each other in time.
    Still, it would be interesting to see whether the fact that they have played for such big rivals would mean that there is some animosity. I would expect to see the idiots fall out with their own reflections in time.

Amateur

Hi Kip... great update. Glad you've kept up the standard since the first one.
    As for the posts i like the current format of receiving the whole season in one go. KUTGW

Amateur

Excellent work kip. Thank you. Have to say im surprised that the bandits didnt score more goals. Having run a similar personal experiment on FM08 (based on your 07 original of course) my team were banging them in for fun.

Thank you for the competitions - around the world section. I was hoping this information would be included.

I would like to register my vote for posting in three sections, but would encourage you to do whats easiest for yourself. Thanks once again for the update.

Part-Timer

Okay, I've just found something rather irritating.

It seems my settings for what parts of the world were running on full detail got lost along the way. The Blue Square South was on, so that's fine, but it seems everything else wasn't, so expect the following to change in future seasons:

a) How well the ex-Bandits and ex-Sheriffs are doing in other leagues.
    b) How well world stars are playing.

I'm not going to re-run the first season again, but just bear in mind that from now, some numbers may change. That does explain why some of the superstars struggled to settle in elsewhere.

Amateur

It's very exciting to have th 1st update but it's sad that the starlets have pretty much all left already but thats football i suppose.
    As for the update itself, i think it's great laid our as above but it really should be whatever is easiest for you Kip.

Part-Timer

You may leave the best players in the league, world reputations & world beaters for a fair amount of years I suppose. The football world will not change in just 5 years in my opinion. We'll be seeing Messi, Kaka & C. Ronaldo on that list for over 5-8 years and that's nearly a base assumption

Overall a quality report as expected and a storming of the league by the Bandits obviously

Quote Originally Posted by 5ergio View Post
    o Bandits to storm the league this time, breaking records everywhere like wins, goals and stuff. Check
    o Sheriffs to follow them behind, also getting promoted, due their squad lacking players and due their idiots. Too bad they missed out on promotion. The reputation boost would have helped them
    o All Bandits players to leave in 1,5 - 2 years. Maybe the GKs will stick longer. They left earlier than I expected to be fair.
    o Idiots to leave before the starlets, achieve quicker but disrupt harmony anywhere they go. They left earlier, but achieve? It's not going to happen as far as it seems.
    Ahh, forgot to comment about the update posting. The three part will create a suspense and an in-between discussion but pick which one is easier for you & has the best quality ;)
    Last edited by 5ergio; 25-03-2009 at 13:28.

Amateur

Great update.

I'd carry on posting it all in one go as well, and I think all the sections have their use right now.

Amateur

Right, there you have it, a long time in coming, but hopefully now you've seen it you'll understand why it took so long!

I have linked to the first update post in the first post of the thread.

So, we have a few options:
    1) Post the whole thing in one go, as this time.
    2) Post in three sections: a) Summer transfers, b) First half of the season report, January transfers, squad reports and c) everything else
    3) Post in two sections: a) Summer transfers, first half of the season report, January transfers, squad reports and b) everything else

Excellent reports as expected, if they could all be posted at around lunchtime that would be ideal

In terms of updates it would be best to separate them over the season but as this may mean some get lost or overlooked, maybe do it in 2 halves?

As for the Bandits, I was actually surprised they lost so many players so soon. I thought that more would hold off until the summer, especially those who had barely played a game and hadn't had the chance to be scouted out by the bigger clubs. I would think all of them will leave this summer, but the manager seems to know what he is doing and I would expect them to get promoted at the first time of asking.

The Sheriffs meanwhile are screwed. The squad isn't nearly good enough and whilst they may hover amongst the top teams in the BSS I would not expect to see them promoted next year under the current manager.

Part-Timer

Thoroughly enjoyed reading the report. The current format works well.

Part-Timer

Great update, very interesting to see 18 of the 22 stars leaving in January but none before the season started.

As predicted they stormed the league, amazing results, the Sheriffs did very well considering they only had two idiots for the first half of the season, and only one for the remaining half of the season. It is quite surprising that this got them a playoff place and seems to suggest that a couple of players can carry an otherwise poor team.

Its a shame the detail level was lost, I think that's happened to me before, you choose the settings and then it is not saved.

If the 4 stars remain with the Bandits this coming season, I can see the Bandits going straight up to League Two. If they lose them all, then they will probably struggle and look to consolidate in the Conference.

It will be interesting to see if the Sheriffs can get out of the BSS, I think they might struggle next year.

I like the format as it is, though if people favour splitting it (I don't), then i'd prefer in two sections rather than three.

Weggy's predictions:

Correct in Bold
    Outcome undetermined in italics
    Wrong in red

The Bandits to win the Blue Square South

The Bandits to obtain more than 100 points in the Blue Square South during the first season

The Bandits to win a cup competition within 3 years.

At least half the Bandits superstars to leave after one season at the club.

The Sheriffs to achieve a playoff place in the first season.

The Sheriffs to NOT reach the Premiership within 20 years.

The Bandits to reach the Premiership within 20 years.

England to win the World Cup before 2020 utilising Bandits/former Bandits players.

One of the idiots to end up at Newcastle United.

Ocean View Park to be expanded significantly by the time the Bandits make league football.

The Bandits to be one of the 92 football league clubs before 2012.

Amateur

Very good read so far, its finally here!

As a suggestion, think you should have short head to head summary between the Bandits and the Sheriffs, just to see who performs best between the rivals teams over the course of the experiment, much like the 'past meetings' function on the game.

Like:

Bandits W D L F A GD Pts
    Sheriffs W D L F A GD Pts

Part-timer

Great to see this update. I like having it all come out together rather than in two or three parts, makes it suitably epic to read through. I like the ones to watch and world beaters sections, don't really care for the club and world club reputations sections though.

I hope the Idiot players don't continue to lose CA, it would make their antics a bit less fun to read about if it was happening at smaller clubs.

Was interesting to see more of the Bandits move abroad already, since as far as I can remember it was just the centre back to Milan last time. I'm guessing it's due to the second nationalities, especially with the French, Italian and Portuguese players ending up in those countries.

KUTGW Kip.

Edit - Aesler's idea above sounds good, this would be a nice touch to include. Though with the Bandits and Sheriffs now in different divisions we'll have to keep our fingers crossed for them to be drawn together in the cups.

Semi Pro

For the net update, can you give us the winners of the English lower leagues, and those relegated?

Amateur

Very interesting! I can't wait for the next, and the next, and the next... KUTGW

Part-Timer

I would like the updates all posted at once. I think it creates more drama and more discussion(because we need more discussion)

Anyway, Sheriffs got league revenge for the first meeting, at the very least. I'm quite happy about that.
    Missing out on promotion to Chelmsford, ugh. I hate Chelmsford, and not just because of that.
    Pelletier(sp?) should be interesting to watch, that's a massive PA.
    Idiot GK falling out with his manager in October, how excellent.

Hopefully the players will set the world on fire this next year when everything's on full detail that's supposed to be
    Excellent update, I will probably have more to say once I take it all in.

Mon the Sheriffs

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Aesler View Post
    Very good read so far, its finally here!

As a suggestion, think you should have short head to head summary between the Bandits and the Sheriffs, just to see who performs best between the rivals teams over the course of the experiment, much like the 'past meetings' function on the game.

Like:

Bandits W D L F A GD Pts
    Sheriffs W D L F A GD Pts
    I like this, obviously it should only be included when they are in the same competitions

Amateur

I lurked in the 07 thread and have been lurking in this one so far, I have to say even though the extra detail/team and countries will likely mean that this experiment runs slower than the last one, I will probably enjoy it more - I can never really get into English-only or British-only games/stories/experiements for some reason. Quality > Quantity.

Amateur

Didn't think I would read that all, but I did. Always expected the Bandits to get promoted, interesting that the Sheriffs didn't. I will expect them to win in this year.

Amateur

Oh, yeah, baby. That's what I've been fiending for. Like gold through the veins.

For me, the only real surprise is the Sheriffs inability to earn promotion. Without their idiots, aren't they just another BSS squad (with admittedly bottomless coffers)? This next season could be tough for them.

As far as the Bandits go, it seems everything is going as planned. I'm loathe to predict an immediate promotion again, but I'm hoping.

QUOTE=kipfizh;2946625]Okay, I've just found something rather irritating.

It seems my settings for what parts of the world were running on full detail got lost along the way. The Blue Square South was on, so that's fine, but it seems everything else wasn't, so expect the following to change in future seasons:

a) How well the ex-Bandits and ex-Sheriffs are doing in other leagues.
    b) How well world stars are playing.

I'm not going to re-run the first season again, but just bear in mind that from now, some numbers may change. That does explain why some of the superstars struggled to settle in elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, Kipfizh. Just to clarify, does this mean that, essentially, the league detail settings are the same as in the '07 experiment? Or have the settings been corrected now? I'm having sort of a Chicken Little reaction to this news. I'll try to compose myself.

At any rate, thanks for quenching our thirst, providing our fix, satisfying our needs... Hmmm... That's probably enough of that.

You're a superstar (certainly not an idiot).

'Mon teh Bandits!

Amateur

how has the sherrifs goalie managed 5 bookings

great update kip KUTGW

Amateur

bah, I'd surely have been right and hats would have been eaten if it hadn't been for the winter exodus.

8) Super bonus excessively bold prediction: Bandits to reach the final of the League or FA Cup in their second season - if they keep enough of their squad over the Christmas window.
    RETRACTED. I didn't anticipate everyone to go so soon. Not many of us did, but it pleasingly makes sense: lower league or not, a team thrashing everyone in their division and performing very well in cups against teams from several divisions up is going to get noticed quickly.

6) Nikolas Besagno to turn out to be not quite the star he was in FM06. :'(
    I'm going to assume he isn't one of the players in the 180s for CA.

First Team Regular
    Premier League Draft Champion x2, OTF Big Brother Winner

Excellent update Kip
    Bandits now to win back to back promotion.

And regarding updates,
    Will be best imo

Amateur

Great update as always.

I'm gutted for the Sheriffs, not decending into negitivity yet but if we don't invest in the swuad heavily we count find ourselves stuck in BSS for a long while. Hopefully if this dosen't happy the chairman will get an itchy trigger finger already and the mnager will be gone...

As for the bandits, pah! Loyalalty counts for nothing eh? Just remember the Sheriffs will be back next year!]

'mon the sheriffs!

Amateur

Great update, many thanks.

Too bad so many star players left the Bandits left in January, as we really could have challenged for the FA cup. The Sheriffs will have a very hard time in the future.
    Also, I really like the fact that we already have several ex-Bandits players playing abroad, almost all of them attracted by the clubs from their other nation.

I am not sure what to expect from the Bandits next year. It's going to be tough.

Amateur

I'm also for option 3. The two-part updates. Nice symmetry, easy to follow.

Amateur

Great update Kip, I don't mind waiting for the entire season report like you did this time.

I feel sorry for Blackburn. They got 2 idiots! Although I am a bit disappointed that they didn't get more red cards

Amateur

The rivalry is showing already. As a Bandits man I would love to say I feel sorry for the Sheriffs.............But I can't;)
    Bad luck boys. This time the law doesn't win.
    Think the Bandits will lose the superstars by sept, if not defo the jan window.
    Also think the Sheriffs will sack the manager in summer as the crazy board will take over

Amateur

bah, I'd surely have been right and hats would have been eaten if it hadn't been for the winter exodus.
    I'm glad. As hats go, my one looks especially inedible.

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by JRHaggs View Post
    Sorry, Kipfizh. Just to clarify, does this mean that, essentially, the league detail settings are the same as in the '07 experiment? Or have the settings been corrected now? I'm having sort of a Chicken Little reaction to this news. I'll try to compose myself.
    The settings were broken for the first season, although they were correct for the Blue Square South so didn't affect the Bandits/Sheriffs. They did however affect the second half of the season for those that moved in January (or earlier).

They have now been fixed, and from the second season onwards full detail will be on all over the place (every playable league's top division and major cups, all of England and all internationals/continental competitions).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast