9.3.0 F.A.Q - Problems? Please check here.

Hi All

I hope patching to 9.3.0 is a great experience for everyone. However there are bound to be problems and I hope we can cover them here.

If you wish to read more or aquire the 9.3.0 patch please go to this thread:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=106355

Please post any issues you have in this thread and we will try our best to help you solve them as they come up.

First of all I will post a few things that may be helpful to anyone struggling to get going.

Technical Questions

NOTE: Before you patch, please make sure the game is not open. The game must be closed in order to patch successfully.

Q 1 - My download is slow/not working or I'm getting an error when trying to use a link.

A: In the first days of the patch the servers may be incredibly busy. Please be patient during this time and things will settle down as more people seed the torrents and the server load lessens.

Q 2 - I've downloaded a torrent file but I can't open it at all.

A: It's most likely that you've downloaded a .torrent seed and not the patch.

Don't worry, this is intended, what you need to do is get hold of a torrent program, for example:

www.BitTorrent.com

Once that is installed and working you put this file into the torrent program and it will download the full patch for you.

If you are stuck on doing this then you can always use the rapidshare links but these may take longer to donwload due to server traffic.

Q 3 - Do I have to install Patch 9.1.0 or 9.2.0 first.

A - No, all you need is patch 9.3.0.

Q 4 - Do I have to install patch 9.3.0 to continue playing?

A: Not at all. If you are happy with the game experience feel free to continue but we do advise you update to gain from the positive changes made to the game.

Q 5 - I have FM/WSM but have a patch for the other game will it work?

A: Please only use the proper FM or WSM patch for your game. If you are not sure what version of the game you have go to the title screen of your installed game and you will see either Football Manager 2009 or World Soccer Manager 2009 displayed. Steam users do not have to worry about this.

Q 6 - Can I patch my steam version with a manual download?

A: Please use the steam software to download the patch, if there is a problem with that then contact Steam's customer service department who will be happy to help you.

Q 7 - I have the patch but I can't open it and I know it's not a torrent file.

A: Unfortunatley there are sometimes corrupted downloads. Please check the size of your file and see if it matches these:

Mac - 155,620kb

PC - 237,039kb

If your file does not match these size then you may well have a corrupted download and should try to download the file again.

Q 8 - It seems like Steam is being slow today. Can I play the 9.2.0 version without updating for now?

You can run a Steam installed game without running Steam by doing the following:

First of all close down Steam.

Go to C: Program Files - Steam - Steam Apps - common - Football Manager 2009

Inside this folder you will find the FM09.exe

Create a shortcut here, and drag it onto your desktop use this shortcut to start the game.

The game will now work without running steam - make sure Steam is NOT already running when you do this.

Q 9 - I have a Mac Digital download, I patched but am now asked for a DVD!

There are two versions of the Mac Patch. Normal Mac Patch (which you've probably used) and the Mac eSellerate patch. You need to use the Mac eSellerate patch with the Digital download version.

You can find links to these with the other patches.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=106355

Q 10 - I've installed the patch and now the performance screen is missing!

A - Sometimes having a custom skin can make this screen act strange or vanish, the only way to solve this is to uninstall and reinstall your game. It could be the case that because this screen has changed the people who create skins will have to update their skins to make them compatible with it.

Q 11 - The text on my screen is fuzzy/corrupted and I have a Radeon series graphics card.

For some reason the Radeon cards Automated Anti Aliasing is making the text on Football Manager 2009 become fuzzy.

First of all you need the ATI catalyst software. This is normally installed with all Radeon cards but if you do not have it you can optain it from the following link:

http://ati.amd.com/products/catalyst/index.html

This software is built to work with all ATI cards.

Next follow these steps:

- Open up the catalyst control center. (Right click > Desktop > Catalyst Control Centre)

- Navigate to the 3D section in the left tab

- Go to Adaptive Anti-Aliasing.

- Untick "Enable Adaptive Anti-Aliasing"

- Click Apply & Ok.

DisableAdaptiveAnti-Aliasing.jpg

Make sure the box is unticked and confirm it and your game should now not have corrupted text.

Q 12 - I've updated in steam but the software doesn't have an updated database

Please try uninstalling the game from steam and then re-downloading it again. You can do this for free.

Q 13 - Q - How do I delete my cache files?

A - For Football Manager 2009 please use the following instructions:

Windows XP:

1. Open “My Computer”

2. Navigate to : “Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\

3. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder.

4. Go Into the “Football Manager 2009” Folder.

5. Delete the folder called "Cache".

Wndows Vista:

1. Click “Start”

2. Click your username on the start Menu

3. Click on “AppData” and then “Roaming”

4. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder

5. Go into the “Football Manager 2009” Folder.

6. Delete the folder called "Cache".

Mac OSX

1. Open Finder.

2. Select <User>

3. Navigate to Library\Caches\Sports Interactive

4. Delete the the "Football Manager 2009” Folder.

Q 14 - Q - How do I delete my preferences/settings?

A - Please use the following instructions:

Windows XP:

1. Open “My Computer”

2. Navigate to : “Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\

3. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder.

4. Go Into the “Football Manager 2009” Folder.

5. Delete the folder called "Settings".

Wndows Vista:

1. Click “Start”

2. Click your username on the start Menu

3. Click on “AppData” and then “Roaming”

4. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder

5. Go into the “Football Manager 2009” Folder.

6. Delete the folder called "Settings".

Mac OSX

1. Open Finder.

2. Select <User>

3. Navigate to Library\Preferences\Sports Interactive

4. Delete the the "Football Manager 2009” Folder.

-----------------------------------------------

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Game Questions

Q 1: Will this patch let me play 3D?

It's impossible to make all available cards use the 3D engine, however we have expanded useability and cards with enough graphic memory that were not able to run 3D previously may be able to run now. Some of the cards now available for 3D display are:

GeForce 4x Ti

GeForce 3x Ti

Radeon 9200

SiS 650/750

If these cards still do not work then these are probably lower end versions of these cards with less graphical memory. We have done everything we can to make the game as compatable as possible with older hardware.

Q2 - I'm having problems with my editor.

There has been a patch released which fixes a few problems with the editor. For more information on this please goto this thread:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=109092

----------------------------------------

For some reason, it is saying... "You have reached the download limit for free users" on rapidshare.

Will the patch be available on another site at all, and do you know how long i have to wait before being able to download the file.

(I have no idea why it is saying this.. I've not downloaded anything for quite a while.)

For some reason, it is saying... "You have reached the download limit for free users" on rapidshare.

Will the patch be available on another site at all, and do you know how long i have to wait before being able to download the file.

(I have no idea why it is saying this.. I've not downloaded anything for quite a while.)

I expect this may be rapidshare themselves putting some kind of limit on the download.

I'm sure mirrors will pop up very soon, have you used a torrent program before? May be worth trying that as more seeds are coming online as people are getting the patch?

I expect this may be rapidshare themselves putting some kind of limit on the download.

I'm sure mirrors will pop up very soon, have you used a torrent program before? May be worth trying that as more seeds are coming online as people are getting the patch?

Not used one before, but there is a first time for everything!

Thanks very much for the quick reply, and the excellent work everyone at SI puts in to continually improve this game :thup:

when i go to update the patch i get this message

it says 'A sharing violation occured while accessing c:\program files\sports interactive\football manager 2009\fm.exe

what doe i need to do to get it working?

thanks

Shut down the game before installing the patch. :thup:

I know it should but it still says that i'm on version 9.0.0.

Do i need to set it on 9.3.0 anywhwere?

Have you actually installed the patch by double clicking it and clicking on the update button.

That is assuming you didn't use steam.

Have you actually installed the patch by double clicking it and clicking on the update button.

That is assuming you didn't use steam.

I used steam but the game doesn't seem and apparently it should download automatically. Should i try somewhere else??

I know it should but it still says that i'm on version 9.0.0.

Do i need to set it on 9.3.0 anywhwere?

After patching your game should say it's 9.3.0.

Are you updating by downloading the file and then clicking on the file which starts the patch program (unless you are on steam then it's all automatic).

What system do you have and did you install the game to a non standard directory?

Go into the folder where your game is and hover your mouse over the .exe (or right click and select properties) and it will give you a version number for the patch. Let me know what it is.

One final thing, do you have the Demo installed as well? It may be worth uninstalling that and trying again.

I used steam but the game doesn't seem and apparently it should download automatically. Should i try somewhere else??

Please give it some time, it may well just be too busy.

Make sure that 'automatic updates' is activated on steam (this will be in their options menu) and close/restart your copy of steam.

Launch Steam, Goto my games right click on Fm 2009, select properties, updates and select update automatically. Close steam and open it back up again and when you try and launch the game it should update :thup:

I only downloaded the demo with steam. Not the full game.

After patching your game should say it's 9.3.0.

Are you updating by downloading the file and then clicking on the file which starts the patch program (unless you are on steam then it's all automatic).

What system do you have and did you install the game to a non standard directory?

Go into the folder where your game is and hover your mouse over the .exe (or right click and select properties) and it will give you a version number for the patch. Let me know what it is.

One final thing, do you have the Demo installed as well? It may be worth uninstalling that and trying again.

Yes, I'm on steam.

I'm not sure what the .exe is as i am unsure where to find it.

I'll try unistalling demo.

thanks

Yes, I'm on steam.

I'm not sure what the .exe is as i am unsure where to find it.

I'll try unistalling demo.

thanks

Your steam install will be in:

c:\program files\steam\steam apps\common\football manager 2009

The FM.exe should be in there.

Steam should have updated you to at least 9.2.0. Unless you have the automatic update switched off?

If you only have used steam for the demo then you need to use the torrent or rapidshare link to patch the game.

If you have the demo on steam then it can't be patched to 9.3.0

If you have the full game on Steam then you can't use Rapidshare/Torrent to update the game it may break it.

Steam should update the game automatically if there are problems then you need to contact steam's customer service people.

8 Q - It seems like Steam is being slow today. Can I play the 9.2.0 version without updating for now?

You can run a Steam installed game without running Steam by doing the following:

First of all close down Steam.

Go to C: Program Files - Steam - Steam Apps - common - Football Manager 2009

Inside this folder you will find the FM09.exe

Create a shortcut here, and drag it onto your desktop use this shortcut to start the game.

The game will now work without running steam - make sure Steam is NOT already running when you do this.

-----------------------------------------------

Im trying to do this, Iv closed steam, Iv right clicked the icon at the bottom right hand and pressed "exit" and Iv restarted my computer. I have followed the instructions and I get an error message:

C: Program Files - Steam - Steam Apps - common - Football Manager 2009 \ fm.exe is not a valid Win32 application

Im trying to do this, Iv closed steam, Iv right clicked the icon at the bottom right hand and pressed "exit" and Iv restarted my computer. I have followed the instructions and I get an error message:

C: Program Files - Steam - Steam Apps - common - Football Manager 2009 \ fm.exe is not a valid Win32 application

The file you dragged to desktop put it back in that folder.

Try running it from the steam folder and let me know if it works.

It sounds to me like you copied the actual fm.exe file which is not a good thing to do.

Right click the fm.exe and choose 'create shortcut' this will create a file with the same name but with 'shortcut' in the title.

Move that to the desktop and it should work.

This is more of a question than a problem. I am managing in NI so the amount of games has gone up to 38 in the league will this happen for next season or do I half to start again?

If you have a game in progress it should progress with the previous rules but then update for the next year.

Rapidshare wont let me download for free and dont really want to pay subscription for one download and the bit-torrent file says it corrupt and I should contact the author for another copy????

I'm guessing you've downloaded a .torrent file which is about 32kb in size.

This needs to be put into a torrent downloader like BitTorrent (the link to this is at the top of the page) and it will download the full file for you.

If you try to open a torrent file that isn't 'recognised' by your computer then it will report that it's corrupted.

I expect there will be more 'mirrors' for direct downloads soon so you can wait for those or get a torrent downloader to get your patch for you.

The file you dragged to desktop put it back in that folder.

Try running it from the steam folder and let me know if it works.

It sounds to me like you copied the actual fm.exe file which is not a good thing to do.

Right click the fm.exe and choose 'create shortcut' this will create a file with the same name but with 'shortcut' in the title.

Move that to the desktop and it should work.

it was the shortcut, tried it again and same result :(

heres a pic, that the error and you can see the shortcut above

6sgpl3.jpg

I have downloaded the patch from Rapid. and its says that im running FM 09 , so i closed that (fm 09)down then i click 'ok' (message from the updater) and it went away, anyway i can get the updater back without downloading again ?

I'm guessing you've downloaded a .torrent file which is about 32kb in size.

This needs to be put into a torrent downloader like BitTorrent (the link to this is at the top of the page) and it will download the full file for you.

If you try to open a torrent file that isn't 'recognised' by your computer then it will report that it's corrupted.

I expect there will be more 'mirrors' for direct downloads soon so you can wait for those or get a torrent downloader to get your patch for you.

I downloaded bit torrent via the link first. I am now trying open the file using bit torrent and that message comes up, what am I doing wrong?

Okay I'm a bit stuck with this now.

Did the game work previous to this? Can you try running it normally and see if it works?

I usually just run through steam>launch game etc but I cant be bothered updating now, so looking for a way round it, so I can at least play tonight but update later

I'm experiencing a crash dump when I try and start a new game under the patch. As well as fm.exe corrupt file and an XML parsing error that states not well-formed (invalid token) at line 1 of channel-FACEGEN_CHANNEL.xml. Didn't have any problems before I've installed this patch. Any ideas?

I usually just run through steam>launch game etc but I cant be bothered updating now, so looking for a way round it, so I can at least play tonight but update later

You should be able to turn off automatic updates or switch on offline mode to stop it from doing this.

Archived