is the "throw himself into tackles" PPM good for anything?

Surely even with the best defenders you dont want them over commiting to challenges that they may not win, in reality that could easily leave big holes at the back

Which is why it's a bit of a mixed bag.

It seems to make them more aggressive which isn't a bad thing if your defenders are very good. However, it tends to give away more set-pieces even for excellent defenders, obviously.

Can't really quantify a what-if scenario with it, but in my experience, it's never really hurt me much, although that's probably because I have good centre-backs.

I expect that it works more like: increases the chance of him attempting a slide tackle.

Slide tackle =

1. Higher chance of winning the ball (with a successful "Tackling" check)

2. Higher chance of giving away a foul

3. Higher chance of missing, and being left adrift if the man

I was telling a recent DRC regen to dive into tackles, and my son, who was watching over my shoulder, looked a bit confused. Being American, I know he may be as confused about the concepts as I was when I first picked up the game, so I asked him what was wrong.

"Do they really go in head-first?"

I was telling a recent DRC regen to dive into tackles, and my son, who was watching over my shoulder, looked a bit confused. Being American, I know he may be as confused about the concepts as I was when I first picked up the game, so I asked him what was wrong.

"Do they really go in head-first?"

LMAO :D :D I would like to meet your son one day :D :D

• 1 year later...

I wonder if it would be a good ppm for DMCs or MCs, at least you would steal the ball closer to goal and even if you fouled it would be farther from goal. I was wondering if learningPPMs actually improve stats, performance or just tell players what to do in general...

Can be useful when combined with hard tackling to put off cowardly players using opposition instructions. But I always feel like a thug when I do that...

Don't feel bad, it's a man's game :D

I feel this PPM isn't for everyone but for DM's with superb tackling and the right mentals it can work a treat in owning any midfield.

I expect that it works more like: increases the chance of him attempting a slide tackle.

Slide tackle =

1. Higher chance of winning the ball (with a successful "Tackling" check)

2. Higher chance of giving away a foul

3. Higher chance of missing, and being left adrift if the man

I pretty much think the same.

Dives into Tackles sounds like the PPM version of the Hard Tackling option.

It's not a case of the player going two footed into the opponents upper thigh, but a case that he will go for tackles that he has less chance of winning. I.e. tackle when the opportunity is a glimmer rather than waiting for the perfect moment to nick the ball.

And remember, Strength is absolutely huge in this area. You don't even need to actually tackle a player if your Strength is much superior to him, you can just get your body in the way and ease him off the ball.

The way I look at it, you have to balance up what type of player the guy is. Is he a defender who you want to be throwing himself into last-ditch tackles to save the game (determination, bravery, aggression, tackling) or is he a man who has a cool head and can force his opposing player to find a different route through (anticipation, positioning)

Archived