Corners, a discussion...

A few questions for you.

1.) Do you think setting a player to challenge the keeper is cheating?

2.) If so, as long as you aren't challenging the keeper are you OK or are there other things you need to avoid as well?

3.) What do you think is an acceptable % of goals to score from corners?

A few questions for you.

1.) Do you think setting a player to challenge the keeper is cheating?

2.) If so, as long as you aren't challenging the keeper are you OK or are there other things you need to avoid as well?

3.) What do you think is an acceptable % of goals to score from corners?

Do as the AI appears to do. Set the player to challenge keeper if so desired but leave the corner aim on mixed.

Can't really comment on the acceptable % to score. If you are way out on top in the list of goals scored from corners for your league and feel this is unrealistic then change your set up.

Personally I don't feel that the issue is related to player attributes as a beast in the air should always be a threat at set pieces (in the game and in real life). I think the problem is a combination of 2 things:-

1. Can't use player specific marking at set pieces

2. Good corner takers are far too accurate far too consistently

I dont like to use the challenge GK option. I dont see it as cheating though as it is a legit tactic. However I think the number of goals that you score from them is unrealistic and so dont do it. I just dont like CB's having a higher goal ratio than my attackers.

I do believe, that in the current state of moderation, this clearly should be discussed in the Tactics forum.

However,

1.) - for me, its just logical to have a tall player marking the GK, so I will do it, and continue to do it, even if the "cheat" aspect of it gets resolved.

2.) - I think thats the only one.

3.) - there is no correct % - some teams score frequently, and some not so IRL, so to assign a % of acceptability, wouldn't be a great way to go about things.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by postal postie:

my center backs get about 3-4 goals a season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so as a percentage then what ever that is.

if your asking about percentages in terms of corners taken compared with goals scored then i dont know. can't be botehred to work it out icon_smile.gif

This has divided opinion on the boards as much as anything recently. I do use the cheat to some extent, i.e. towering center half challenging keeper. I don't have a problem with this as;

i) I never score many more goals than the other top teams in the division (suggesting the AI has an equally effective corner routine).

ii) It is realistic as players do jump with the keeper IRL, however I don't foul the keeper very often, which is unrealistic.

iii) The number of skanky goals I concede far outwieghs the 15-20 corners I score per season (in all comps. btw)

So I would say the only thing that needs changing is the ref. should give the keeper more protection, as IRL.

But for the cheat to be effective, does it have to be a CB to challenge the goalkeeper?

When I read some instructions in the Tactics forum, it tells you that you have to place the player with the best heading/jumping attributes. Well, the players with the best header in my team is my Attacker and therefore I placed him to challenge the GK. I noticed no particular changes in the ratio of goals from corners.

That's why I'm still wondering how many of you keep saying they score loads of goals from corners, to the extent to call this a cheat. Till now for me it's not!!!

I have my defenders set to challenge the keeper, yet the most goals any has ever scored in one season is 8. So no it is not cheating unless a player begins to score a ridiculous amount and then I would change it.

TBH I could have done with a cheat in the semis of the CL this season but it just didn't happen for me.

It definitely is an 'exploit' in the match engine. I recently decided against using it, in an effort to be 'fair' to the AI, and set my corners to mixed.

Over the next few game months, the AI systematically went about screwing me over, scoring from corners/FKs every 2nd game, having my team hit the post every game, their GK pulling off world class saves one after another, etc. The last 14 games have all been absolutely dominated by my team and I have won three of them.

I have now gone back to using the Challenge GK routine. The AI seems to have certain tricks of its own so there's no reason I should give up mine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by karan316:

It definitely is an 'exploit' in the match engine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes but what needs to be done exactly? Is it just enough to set the CBs to challenge the keeper? At the moment mine is that way, but few things (if any) happen!!! icon_frown.gif

• 1 month later...

i PERSONALLY HAVENT SEEN ANY EFFECT FROM THIS AND HAVE AT TIMES EMPLOYED THIS TACTIC IN THE PAST,.

THIS ISNT TO CHEAT OR OTHERWISE BUT ACTUALLY EXPERIENCE FROM MY DAYS AS A SUNDAY LEAGUE DEFENDER LIKE UNDER 10'S ETC, I WAS ALWAYS TOLD AS A CENTRE BACK TO GO AND STAND ON THE KEEPERS L;ACES. lITERALLY TO PUT EHM OFF AND IF NEED BE CHALLENGE FOR THE BALL.

tHIS NEVER ACTUALLY RESULTING IN ME scoring, (once in about ten years) but it put them off. So To use this tactic isnt cheating than less there is a bug and your centre back is a prolific goal scorer.

if it is then dont use it!

sorry about the caps the key was on and i didnt realise.

1) If it yields an unlikely amount of goals then yes it is, as it's exploiting a flaw in the match engine.

I found the flaw by chance because I had it as part of my tactical settings when switching from 8.0.1 to 8.0.2. In the following season, the players I used in the CB position with that setting had scoring records of almost 1 in 2, pretty much as good as a prolific striker. As such, I changed it as I didn't want to feel I wasn't earning my results. End of. (That said I would LIKE to use it because, as a real life tactic, I absolutely common sense).

2. No.

3. Hard to say, some teams are far better at it than others. Someone might be able to dig up Opta stats on the matter?

My CBs who are good in the air tend to score quite a few if they challenge the keeper, one got 10 goals this season and played 40+ matches, which is not unrealistic if you compare it to real life, i.e. Lescott or Laursen. I only have the instruction as 6 yard box if the opposition keeper is poor at jumping and in his aerial ability, the rest of the time I have one side set to mixed and the other set to penalty area (depending on the footedness of the taker). My overall stats show I am top for goals from corners in my division but then again I am quick a big, powerful side that's good in the air, plus I'm not miles ahead, only 1 or 2 goals. It's worth noting that players who attack from deep never seem to score, so I think I have the balance about right, i.e. I play to the strengths of my side but don't exploit it overly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IbrahimAliMaher:

My CBs who are good in the air tend to score quite a few if they challenge the keeper, one got 10 goals this season and played 40+ matches, which is not unrealistic if you compare it to real life, i.e. Lescott or Laursen. I only have the instruction as 6 yard box if the opposition keeper is poor at jumping and in his aerial ability, the rest of the time I have one side set to mixed and the other set to penalty area (depending on the footedness of the taker). My overall stats show I am top for goals from corners in my division but then again I am quite a big, powerful side that's good in the air, plus I'm not miles ahead, only 1 or 2 goals. It's worth noting that players who attack from deep never seem to score, so I think I have the balance about right, i.e. I play to the strengths of my side but don't exploit it overly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Archived