Cup games annoying for lower league clubs?

I've played a lot of lower league games, trying to get teams all the way to the top from League 2 (only managed League 2 to Championship before getting too impatient and taking a bigger job) but does anyone find cup competitions (ESPECIALLY the St Johnstone Paint Trophy) just irritating, I mean on top of a 46 game season I can never be arsed. Not because my squad can't take it, it's just you're not going to win the League or FA cup (got to the FA cup final with Port Vale though in the Championship) and the only benefit is revenue (although you need to go through all the crap rounds for that anyway) so I decided to ensure I lose every cup game via making the goalie make constant runs into the other team's box......that's my masterplan. We really can concentrate on promotion now.

That's it really, just wondered if anyone else's heart sinks when they have a two-legged St Johnstone Paint Trophy final when they really just want to get their team up the leagues. Ha ha.

Every game is important and especially in LL there is nothing to say against some extra revenue. In real life you would be sacked right now.

Ha ha. Got myself knocked out of two cups and yeah don't think I'll do that again. With my goalie playing at 4 and getting beat 4-0 by Hartlepool I think I really should just take the cups seriously.

This is always the subject of discussion in the LLM forum. That is: everyone says Cups Suck Arse™ and I don't. :D

People are known to field their B teams. I disagree, being just about the only LLaMa ever to win a cup (as a 2nd Division club in Sweden. On the back of which I drew Man U in the UEFA cup a year later, which solved all my financial problems).

In my opinion it's against anything resembling realism to throw cup games or to have your B squad play your clubs match of the century against an EPL club.

But I'm practically the only one to have that opinion, even in LLaMa-land, so don't feel too bad about doing it :D

A cup defeat can lower the moral of the players. That's just one reason to field a good squad and to try to win cup games. I always give a run for some reserve or youngsters and the second keeper, but with the backbone of first team regulars. And some extra earnings could be vital if you manage a LLM club.

As you said, one of the main benefits is Revenue. Even if you are not going to win the cup, the money makes the difference. With lower League teams, there is hardly any expectation on you to win, why not have a go, if you fail, you fail(who cares, you tried, and got money out of it:)) if you do, do well, then it is a WIN WIN situation.

Shame my Sutton Utd team can't win a cup :thdn::)

as former manager of shrewsbury i can confirm i just meet the boards expectations. usually enjoy or 2nd round.

no big deal.

i have 22 man squads anyway so there's always 11 who can play and 11 who can rest for next league game.

just be better manager. :p

Hear, here.

As long as I meet or exceed expectations, it's all good. I don't expect to win the cup, but I give it my shot. I'll play a B side if I'm against a side 2 levels lower or worse, but if the match is looking anything like competitive, my 1st XI are in.

And trust me, going into an FA tie against a L1 side, my BSS squad is told "the pressure is off" because we really do have nothing to lose. If they win 0-4, well...that's what was expected, now, wasn't it? But if we hold them to 1 goal, or (heaven forbid) tie or even win...now /that's/ something, and doesn't even phase the player's morale at all. As long as I handle it right...

Archived