is it possible to get more coaches?

sorry if this has been discussed...

how come i can ask for more money, more time, a bigger stadium, but not for a few more coaches?

i have 10 when my club only wants 8 so they refuse any attempt to sign another even tho im rich and my training isnt as good as it could be

i remember in 801 liverpool would recomend i have no more than 10 coaches.

id still get 14.

with 802 they veto me at 12 coaches.

which i think is right.

the amount of coaches allowed is only slightly to do with funds.

the other part is to do with how many coaches a club believes is beneficial for the club before you get an issue of either, coaches not having anything to do, or an issue of too many coaches spoiling the flow of training.

if your a small club and the decision is firstly based on funds then yes you should be allowed more coaches as you get richer.

but there is surely only a finite amount of coaches you can have before its not beneficial or even actually creating problems to have more.

i keep trying to buy ass. mans and no one wants to join.

i even offer ass man postiions to youth coaches and they dont want it.

but they dont mind being normal coaches.

now is this because i have to sack my current ass man? or is it just difficult to get one becuase i'd prefer to keep mine until i get another one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by munk:

I dont agree with the restriction. There is no such "rule" in real life. The "limit" is for the manager to decide as part of his overall playing/staff budget. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

there's no such 'rule' in real life and there's no such rule in the game either.

but you 've got to admit that if a manager had 25 coaches then that would raise eyebrows with the owners of the club.

they wouldn't have it. it wouldn't be financially viable paying that many wages untop of the fact that they'd be asking what all of them are doing every day because they can't all be working efficiently.

and you can't have the ability in game to have an infinite amount of coaches because that will make the training system very difficult to code i would imagine. becuase then it would be a case of getting as many coaches as you could and you'd have 7 stars for every section.

where as the AI would have just the normal amount.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by postal postie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by munk:

I dont agree with the restriction. There is no such "rule" in real life. The "limit" is for the manager to decide as part of his overall playing/staff budget. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

there's no such 'rule' in real life and there's no such rule in the game either.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well thats the point, there is such a rule in the game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by johntravers:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by postal postie:

there's no such 'rule' in real life and there's no such rule in the game either.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well thats the point, there is such a rule in the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

its not a 'rule' in the sense of something like the offside rule which is the same for everyone

it is a perfectly acceptable decision that any chairman in their right mind would set up to decide how many coaches they think they can afford/is realistic to have.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tarik Ajanovic:

If we can pay them within the budget limits set and it's for the benefit of the club,then why introduce restrictions? icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

can you imagine the problems if a player was playing as one of the top teams with no limit on coaches?

these top teams could afford 30 coaches.

that's not to say it wouldn't put a strain on the finances but they could still afford it. it may even through the training module out because you could easily get top stars in everything.

mean while the AI would still pick only 8 or 9 coaches and we would have an unfair advantage against them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tarik Ajanovic:

Well why not put a limit of 9 coaches (how many coaching specialties are there???)?

Then it would be wise that every area has at least one coach plus an assistant manager.

Of course,if you can afford it... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

why not what it is now? it can be 9 it can be 10 it can be 12.

currently liverpool say i should only have 10 (so that's not too far from your 9) but i can still get 12 before they stop me getting any more.

so in this instance there is a slight buffer area where their not going to moan as soon as you try to go over their recommendation but if you stray too far over then they will.

and you can't have the ability in game to have an infinite amount of coaches because that will make the training system very difficult to code i would imagine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In FM05 there was no limit. And it's not so much the coaches thing that p!sses me off, it's the scout limit.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KnightedManager:

and you can't have the ability in game to have an infinite amount of coaches because that will make the training system very difficult to code i would imagine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In FM05 there was no limit. And it's not so much the coaches thing that p!sses me off, it's the scout limit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

was there not? i wish id known that. i would have bought loads icon_smile.gif

in all fairness perhaps SI felt they had to put a limit in then to stop people getting laods.

scout limit doesn't bother me either. i think i have about 7 and i send them off all over the place.

it's enough for me.

a "work around" is simple, but technically not within the laws of football icon_smile.gif

Offer all of your current coaches Ass Man Roles. They will all accept, and due to them being at the club already, you could have 100,000 if you wanted. You then have space for more coaches. (In my current save, I have 6 Ass Man and 6 Coaches)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

a "work around" is simple, but technically not within the laws of football icon_smile.gif

Offer all of your current coaches Ass Man Roles. They will all accept, and due to them being at the club already, you could have 100,000 if you wanted. You then have space for more coaches. (In my current save, I have 6 Ass Man and 6 Coaches) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i've tried to offer my coaches a possition as an ass man but none of them accept.

i really dont want ablett to be the ass man at liverpool you see because he's rubbish.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

Offer all of your current coaches Ass Man Roles. They will all accept, and due to them being at the club already, you could have 100,000 if you wanted. You then have space for more coaches. (In my current save, I have 6 Ass Man and 6 Coaches) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i've tried to offer my coaches a possition as an ass man but none of them accept.

i really dont want ablett to be the ass man at liverpool you see because he's rubbish. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

then sack him icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">One way of getting round it is offering your assistent manager a coaching role and then getting in another assistent manager. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you can manage that then your a better man than I am. I have never been able to get a staff member to accept a lesser role at any club.

I have same problem, but for me is a real problem. I can have only 2 SCOUT, i have 100m EU in finances, im 1 in my league and i cant have more than that.

IS posible to ask board for more scout places ?

The limit is 2 in my club but i have 3 of them, but i cant have more than that. And this is stupid.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ncfcgee:

You need to get your current ass man to sign as a coach first, you'll never get another while you already have one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've done that (but with FM2006). I wanted my AssMan and a coach to switch roles, so I promoted the coach to AssMan but couldn't convince the AssMan to become a coach. I let him go when his contract expired at the end of the season.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread but this has been bugging me recently.

I can understand the need for a limit on coaches, it makes sense and adds realism. However I'm not happy with the way this limit is set.

To give an example, managing a Uruguayan 2nd division team I was allowed 2 coaches (i.e no more than 3) and 1 scout (i.e. no more than 2). My reputation was "obscure".

Several seasons later I win promotion, my reputation moves up to national and I'm allowed 3 (5) coaches and 2 (3) scouts. Which was fine at the time.

But several season after that, my reputation is up to continental, I'm making the finals of continental competitions, half my players are playing for their national teams, and I'm completely dominating domestically.

Yet I'm still only allowed 3(5) coaches and 2(3) scouts! I suppose I might be able to accept this, although it would still **** me off, and put it down to low domestic league reputation. But the annoying thing is, other top Uruguayan clubs who I've far surpassed in terms of stature are employing ~18 coaches, 7 physios, 6 scouts, etc etc. Where's the fairness in that? :/

I don't know if this is a hard and fast rule but it looks to me like the only time the board increase the amount of coaches/scouts etc you're allowed is when you get promoted to a higher league. This is the only time I've seen it anyway. If this is the case it's clearly flawed, it needs to be based (at least) on club reputation rather than league reputation.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott1990:

You can also sign really old players with a staff profile on a player contract and then offer them a new contract as a coach. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Untrue. My board saw through this lil trick and told me where to go. icon_frown.gif

What SI has done regarding the amount of coaches in the club is completely ******** and far from reality. For example even here in Slovenia a club from the third league has 12 coaches. Of course some are only for the youth team but still.

Even more ******** is the fact that they are using reputation as a guide of how many coaches you can have. Must everything in this game be based on reputation?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">its not a 'rule' in the sense of something like the offside rule which is the same for everyone

it is a perfectly acceptable decision that any chairman in their right mind would set up to decide how many coaches they think they can afford/is realistic to have. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But that would meen that Chairmen could say 'Board has blocked the transfer of Michael Johnson as they believe the club has enough talent in the centre of midfield.'

Clearly what SI need to do is to introduce a backroom staff wage budget so that we can play around with the amount of Youth Coaches and First Team Coaches can be employed.

I personally go for this set-up with big clubs -

Assistant Manager

2 Fitness Coaches

1 GK Coach

5 Coaches (Attacking, Defending, Shooting, Ball Control, Set Pieces)

2 Youth Coaches

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McTavish:

I don't know if this is a hard and fast rule but it looks to me like the only time the board increase the amount of coaches/scouts etc you're allowed is when you get promoted to a higher league. This is the only time I've seen it anyway. If this is the case it's clearly flawed, it needs to be based (at least) on club reputation rather than league reputation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well that's not happening for me at the moment. I'm managing Notts County, and we started in League 2. I've got them up to the Championship and we're still only allowed 3 coaches. This is getting quite frustrating and is hindering player development somewhat. I'm worried that if I get to the Premiership (Not going to happen this season, but it's a long term goal) then we'll still not be allowed any more coaches.

Has anyone had a dramatic rise up the leagues and stayed with the same team? If so, what happened with regards to how many coaches you were able to have?

As far as I can tell from testing it it is a combination of things:-

1. Reputation

2. Chairman's Business Attribute

3. Chairman's Interference Attribute

4. Current Financial position

All 4 of these appear to combine to set the limit and then determine whether or not that limit is strictly enforced.

As an example my current team have a limit of 3 coaches. I set the Chairman's interference to 1 and business to 1 and was able to sign 2 coaches beyond the limit without any problem.

Just one little test so I could be wrong icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by isuckatfm:

1. Reputation

All 4 of these appear to combine to set the limit and then determine whether or not that limit is strictly enforced.

As an example my current team have a limit of 3 coaches. I set the Chairman's interference to 1 and business to 1 and was able to sign 2 coaches beyond the limit without any problem.

Just one little test so I could be wrong icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you can always sign 2 coaches more than they tell you, ie 3 coaches means 5, 1 coach means 3

i'm playing with tiverton started with 1 coach allowed in BSS and allowed 3 coaches now i'm in league 1 but no extra scouts, at that rate i might get an extra coach in the prem.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by isuckatfm:

1. Reputation

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. I think it's more to do with the reputation of the league you're playing in rather than the club you manage. AS I mentioned before, the club I'm managing at the moment was only allowed more coaches when I was promoted to the top division in Uruguay - Since then I've won the league (4 times), the Copa Sudamerica, Copa Libertadores, the Recopa and come runners up in the World Club Championship which must have caused my clubs reputation to rise significantly. But I'm still limited to 3 (5) coaches and 2 (3) scouts. :/

2/3. Possibly, I have to try and check my chairman's attributes once I'm done with the challenge I'm playing. He does tend to sell off my players fairly frequently though so probably has high interference and lowish business. Anycase, I'd like to think these stats make the difference but I somewhat doubt it.

4. Judging from what I've seen this doesn't appear to make any difference. My finances have vastly improved over the past few seasons (club value from £100k -> £24m, cash balance from -£500k -> £18m) but still no more coaches allowed. Similar improvements to training facilities and stadium.

I've found a work around for this problem anyway, that works for me at least. You might have to have a fairly high reputation to get this to work for you. Here's what you do:

1. Sack and replace any coaches you can improve, bearing in mind you'll soon be up to 8+ coaches.

2. Go to staff search and set the filter up to "Staff Role is: Assistant Manager" AND "Staff Role is: Coach". Check "ask assistant manager to filter out unrealistic targets".

3. Add in the attribute filters you want.

4. Select some suitable coaches. At this point you should double check that you can offer them both Assistant Manager and Coach contracts, and that their requested wage for each role aren't too far apart.

5. Go to your assistant manager and offer him a new contract as a coach. If he's not interested you'll have to sack him.

6. Sign one of the coaches you want as an assistant manager, but be careful to keep his wage below what you're allowed to offer for coaches.

7. Offer new assistant manager a coaching contract.

8: Repeat. Once you're done recruiting coaches you can select whichever one you want as assistant manager - just remember to stick to rule 6. Also remember that anytime you want to replace a coach you'll need to use this procedure.

Results: This screenshot is from my Uruguay save, where I'm limited to 3 (5) coaches. As you can see I've managed to sign 8 coaches and finally get 7* coaching all round.

Still, it's annoying to have to almost cheat to get a reasonable number of coaches and I hope this is something that gets looked at for FM09.

Archived