Would you pay for????????

I don't think them having more money will affect that. They are more than likely already working on FM10, aswell as FM09.

As for FM Live, I don't know how you can base their profits on your personal opinion. You're not to know how much they will or will not make on FM Live, and I doubt people would just "Give" SI £1 - £2 per month.

nope, wouldnt do it.. at the end of the day, SI's efforts are best concentrated on the next game, and making sure that its a good step forwards from fm08. there would be an endless amount of work for them to do if they were to implement this... notice how many people are still playing older versions of FM. do they stop the updates after a certain amount of time, or keep running them? just wouldnt work, imo...

No I wouldn't. I know it's the nature of the beast that games have bugs but in my opinion it is the company's mistake to not rectify these bugs and do so for free with patches. If people weren't so quick to spend their money or forget their experiences of previous titles then games companies would be less reluctant to release a bugged game as it would have a knock on effect on future sales of said title and all other titles the company produces. They would also be less reluctant to draw a line in the sand, particularly for annual titles e.g. set pieces attributes are knackered by 8.0.2 but SI are heavy into FM 09 so have no intention of releasing a fix.

But as it stands people keep buying the games anyway and even those who stop buying due to previous bugs/lack of support can be replaced by first time buyers especially for annual releases of sports simulations where newness is measured by up to date squads/rosters, kits etc. So the status quo remains. Not saying that games companies purposefully release bugged games as I would hope professional pride pushes them to make the game as good as possible, but let's face it if push comes to shove the game will get released in the knowledge that patches are an accepted part of the industry. So while the status quo remains you'll see the same old cycles repeated.

Release -> Patch -> Patch -> End Development Cycle

and each of these decisions will be shaped by financial and market pressures and not just tangible cash flow issues (the impact on the brand name, maintaining a customer base etc.).

Nope because it's not as simple as just updating the game database once a month to fix problems. Defects need to be properly identified and recreated before any changes in the code are made. Much of the game may then need to be thoroughly tested to ensure that the fix hasn't had a knock on effect in any other part of the game. If it has then more changes will need to be made and re-tested.

All that's just for one change so I doubt it would be viable for them to be constantly making changes and updates. If they did then who would be working on FM09?

• SI Staff
im sure the developers arent as determined or motivated to perfect the game if they know people are gonna buy it

That couldn't be further from the truth

Si to update the game database every month and fix problems etc.

Say £1 - £2 a month?

I know I would and it would make them a lot more money than FM live would.

instead of the fact that they release bug fixes for free at the moment?

continual uploading of patches with database updates which take time and detract from the work to get the next iteration out i would have thought.

lets not forget that before every patch that gets released they have to thoroughly test it. imagine taking the time to do that every month instead of doing a couple of big tests every few months while they get the next game ready.

why play a game that start in summer with players the teams signed 1-2 years after.

reson to play manager games is to determine and how your team will shape out in future.

i realy hate when they include database updates in patches. should be 2 files to download.

i always manage mid table or low table teams and love to bring in youngsters that are hot IRL. problem with this update is

1. when a players is hot IRL they doesnt get good attributes if they do not play in an english top club.

2. when they move to an top club they get alot better values

3. some players doesnt even exist as good players in original teams before they appear as world class players in the big clubs :

example gago. he was totaly useless in boca in fm2006/2007. when update and final patch arrived he was an world superclass player already signed by real madrid.

updates should be separate and managers shouldnt be forced to use em couse they wanna have latest match engine with newest patch

edit

forgot to to write that boca had exactly the same money before dataupdate as after. even they sold 2-3 youngsters for loads of cash ,sell on cluses and bonuses connected to the sellings to real madrd and other clubs.

There is no real need to pay SI a small figure to update the DB when they release a patch and game each year encompassing the transfers

on top of that the good people of the editors forums make things like the weegie update for now up to august 31st.

if you mean monthly updates of player stats well i think a month is too frequent - this would just go on form which is part of the game anyway and the main thing which i would imagine spurred this thread is player performance in major cups (eg arshavin in euro08)

for such little work I would just use the editor myself (if it bothered me that much which it doesnt!)

No. SI already fix bugs for free and rightly so. In terms of the database, there are already tons of free updates in the editors forum. I don't need to pay for something I can get for free. Also, I'd prefer they just focus on FM09.

Archived