'We can win this' - seemed demotivated , looked delighted

Imagine being told you're gonna be sacked from the job you hate, at the end of the day.

You'd be demotivated and look delighted. It's not an oxymoron.

You often get it with 'Sports Stars' who've just signed an enormous contract. When you're financially secure you don't need to try so hard.

VB

• 3 months later...

HUH

how is that even possible

i used this away from home against sunderland

in the fa cup

i am man united

my whole back four defenders had this as their team talk feedback pre match

we went on to lose 4-0

that cannot be right

yeah I agree. Team talk ****es me off sometimes...how can "we can win this" get 4 goals against you when you're such a stronger team. Maybe losing by 1 or 2 yes but 4 goals? Plus, how can you get demotivated and delighted by "We can win this". I sometimes just reload the game 'cause of annoying crap like this.

yeah I agree. Team talk ****es me off sometimes...how can "we can win this" get 4 goals against you when you're such a stronger team. Maybe losing by 1 or 2 yes but 4 goals? Plus, how can you get demotivated and delighted by "We can win this". I sometimes just reload the game 'cause of annoying crap like this.

Because your team know they are better, but you telling them "We CAN win this" instead of "I expect a win" could make them think you doubt they're ability to win, hence causing them to play carp.

Playing as Sheffield United at home against Manchester United.

obviously, Man Utd were favourites (Sheff Utd 9/2, Man Utd 1/2)

We were drawing 0 - 0 at half time - I used "We can win this" and we won 1 - 0.

I agree with Scotty, but I also think it's for times when your team has proven itself in the first half against better opposition.

The number of times people just point to that one thread on team talks as if it solves all issues with team talks is quite staggering! People shouldn't have to read some long totally unrealistic analysis of team talks in order to be able to give their team a talk which won't cause them to lose 4-0 when they would otherwise have won comfortably. Team talks in general just have way too big an effect and are totally unintuitive. If someone just does a load of analysis so that they have a deterministic technique for which teamtalk to give in every situation then team talks are a total joke. Likewise if they are so unintuitive that you need to do such analysis in order not to keep getting done over then that is totally wrong too.

I've had times when my team talk has caused a ridiculously and unrealistically good performance as well as bad, but I don't want a sound bite team talk to have such a massive effect that my tactics become largely irrelevant. In real life there are an infinity of possibilities for giving a team talk and a good manager will obviously be able to see the reactions of his players as he talks so he can always change the direction of his team talk mid-speech if he suddenly sees that all his players look as though they'd rather commit suicide than go out and face Nobody Utd.

i am baffled as to how people can see this as normal

we were away from home , fair enough to an inferior team , in the fa cup

and i said

we can win this

how could my 4 defenders feel demotivated and look delighted at the exact same time

and then go on to play poorly an lose 5-0

sorry for posting 4 - 0

"We can win this" means you believe you are the underdogs, so your players would be thinking that you don't rate them

"I expect a win" means you believe your players are better then the opponent and you ..well, expect a win

"We can win this" means you believe you are the underdogs, so your players would be thinking that you don't rate them

"I expect a win" means you believe your players are better then the opponent and you ..well, expect a win

Because your team know they are better, but you telling them "We CAN win this" instead of "I expect a win" could make them think you doubt they're ability to win, hence causing them to play carp.

well I'm sorry but if they start doubting their own ability then how are they "delighted". That makes absolutely no sense.

The number of times people just point to that one thread on team talks as if it solves all issues with team talks is quite staggering! People shouldn't have to read some long totally unrealistic analysis of team talks in order to be able to give their team a talk which won't cause them to lose 4-0 when they would otherwise have won comfortably. Team talks in general just have way too big an effect and are totally unintuitive. If someone just does a load of analysis so that they have a deterministic technique for which teamtalk to give in every situation then team talks are a total joke. Likewise if they are so unintuitive that you need to do such analysis in order not to keep getting done over then that is totally wrong too.

I've had times when my team talk has caused a ridiculously and unrealistically good performance as well as bad, but I don't want a sound bite team talk to have such a massive effect that my tactics become largely irrelevant. In real life there are an infinity of possibilities for giving a team talk and a good manager will obviously be able to see the reactions of his players as he talks so he can always change the direction of his team talk mid-speech if he suddenly sees that all his players look as though they'd rather commit suicide than go out and face Nobody Utd.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all Glamdring. I'm just being pragmatic here; given the nature of team-talks in FM08, Wolfsong's Guide is very helpful. However, team-talks in their present format are highly unintuitive, and hopefully some thought is being put into making them clearer and morelogical for FM09.

You could be demotivated and delighted in the sense that you are delighted that your manager has faith in your ability to go and win the game, but you are demotivated because you think you can win the game easily. We've all seen the player personal screen saying "thinks the club can win most games without much effort", most players would be delighted to think that, but it certainly wouldn't be motivational.

I agree that team talks don't work particularly well, but in this case telling a top team that you think they can win a game against a small team is poor judegment because you should expect them to beat the smaller team. Despite that I don't think you should be losing heavily just because of poor choice in team talks.

Archived