negative potential players

Also I have been wondering, what are negative potential players?

Negative potential players are players that don't have a defined maximum PA (Potential Ability), but rather have a range that, with the right training and handling, they might ascribe to some day.

In FM, as in real life, some youth teamers might have the highest rating (-10) but might fall well short of reaching their maximum potential (think of Arturo Lupoli for example). Players with a potential of -6 or -7 generally have the potential to make reasonably decent/good Premier League players one day. -9 or -10 have the ability to be worldclass.

HTH

Negative potential players are players that don't have a defined maximum PA (Potential Ability), but rather have a range that, with the right training and handling, they might ascribe to some day.

In FM, as in real life, some youth teamers might have the highest rating (-10) but might fall well short of reaching their maximum potential (think of Arturo Lupoli for example). Players with a potential of -6 or -7 generally have the potential to make reasonably decent/good Premier League players one day. -9 or -10 have the ability to be worldclass.

HTH

Great help thanks. Surly all players in the game should be like this then, well atleast all player of maybe 21 or younger?

Great help thanks. Surly all players in the game should be like this then, well atleast all player of maybe 21 or younger?

I wouldn't have thought so no. If you take -10 being the level of ability required to be as good as Messi, with all the training and handling in the world, the likes of you and I would never be able to reach that level. Frankly, with all the training in the world, I probably wouldn't be able to be as good as Jordan Henderson! So everyone has their level, and the FM researchers do their best to guess what the level they'll achieve is based on their age, development to date, and so on.

Not quite right.

Negative potential players have a range but their PA is fixed within that range when you create a save.

So for example a player with a range of 170-200 might be created with a fixed PA of 200 in one save and a fixed PA of say 175 in another.

I wouldn't have thought so no. If you take -10 being the level of ability required to be as good as Messi, with all the training and handling in the world, the likes of you and I would never be able to reach that level. Frankly, with all the training in the world, I probably wouldn't be able to be as good as Jordan Henderson! So everyone has their level, and the FM researchers do their best to guess what the level they'll achieve is based on their age, development to date, and so on.

I do completly agree, i meant though that all players had a negative potential instead of a set number. As far as I understand it when a newgen is created they are assigned a PA right away, surly they should be given a "-9" "-6" or whichever, then maybe at the age of 20/21 the PA is then set?

I do completly agree, i meant though that all players had a negative potential instead of a set number. As far as I understand it when a newgen is created they are assigned a PA right away, surly they should be given a "-9" "-6" or whichever, then maybe at the age of 20/21 the PA is then set?

all players are assigned a PA right away, regardless of whether they are newgens or real players. a minus rating just means there is a range that the PA could be set at.

all players are assigned a PA right away, regardless of whether they are newgens or real players. a minus rating just means there is a range that the PA could be set at.

Yeah and it all depends on their Ambition, Professionalism & Determination as to what that number is set at.

Yeah and it all depends on their Ambition, Professionalism & Determination as to what that number is set at.

No!

The number is set randomly when the player is created in the database at the start of a save.

Their ambition, professionalism & determination along with several other factors determine if they ever reach that set number.

Nope. What you mention (actually I think only professionalism counts) is more in the direction of how likely the players will reach their set potential (if given the training and enough 1st team matches (a bit simplistic I know, but....)).

Edit: Wow, beaten by 6 minutes... (note to self: press F5 before replying)

• 1 year later...

So, if I'm potentially trying to create a world-class "me-gen", but I want inject a small bit of fate, can I set the PA at -10, wipe out all the attributes and they'll all be randomly generated (under the restraints of the random PA) at the time of the save start? Do PPM's randomly generate, or do those have to be selected in the editor or trained in-game?

thanks

So, if I'm potentially trying to create a world-class "me-gen", but I want inject a small bit of fate, can I set the PA at -10, wipe out all the attributes and they'll all be randomly generated (under the restraints of the random PA) at the time of the save start? Do PPM's randomly generate, or do those have to be selected in the editor or trained in-game?

thanks

I don't think PPM's will generate. If you leave all attributes blank and just have a -10 PA it will give you a set PA when you start the game and all other attributes will be calculated by age, position, etc.

I don't think PPM's will generate. If you leave all attributes blank and just have a -10 PA it will give you a set PA when you start the game and all other attributes will be calculated by age, position, etc.

Okay, thanks - I'll just give them one PPM at random, and let the coaches train any further ones.

Archived