Fm2012 extremely slow on MacBookPro Early 2011 , Please help!

Hi guys,

I have a mbp pro 15" Early 2011 with these specs:

Intel Core i7 2.0 GHz / 6MB on chip shared L3 cache

4 GB DDR3 SDRAM

Intel HD Graphics 3000 (384MB DDR3 SDRAM shared) & AMD Radeon HD6490M (256MB DDR5)

I was running fm 2011 super fast however running fm 2012 it's a nightmare for me . I have read what others have posted and I've disabled stadium names 3d graphics etc but no luck ! I am only selecting Germany, England , Spain first division leagues and i am getting full stars. Switching between screens freeze a lot (for example from tactics - to squad information) and also during matches making a substitute or giving sideline comments is almost impossible !

Please help me i am desperate :(

I have a 2010 15" 2.66 i7 MBP and it's really slow for me as well. Have to turn off stadium and crowds and set quality of 3D to low so that it doesn't go too hot. Also, when going through private chats with players and players search, its not smooth like other pages.

Weird, I have the ancient 2009 model, just dual core, lion 10.7.2 and it runs fine, same as 2011. Is it slow on both graphics cards? Does your MBP tend to run hot? Have a feeling I read somewhere, that the CPU is throttled when hot.

You could try going to the apple support site and trying some of their resets maybe, nothing to lose.

The reset on http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964 says this

System Performance

The computer is running unusually slowly although it is not experiencing abnormally high CPU utilization.

Maybe worth some research?

What other apps do you have open when you are playing? I have the exact same MBP as you and play games on high detail, a lot of leagues loaded and a large database and haven't encountered any issues. Together, steam and FM use a fair bit of memory, but no where near enough to use up all 4 gig (well, shouldn't do).

I don't have any other programs running at the same time. I suspect there is a bug as it is not normal for fm 2012 to use 130% of the cpu. As for SMC reset it won't work as the system is not slow in any other application. Just for fm 2012. Also I've tried running it on both gpus with no success. Any other solutions? :(

• 3 months later...
Yea I have a problem on my MacBook steam using over 22% of the CPU, bit of a joke we have to play it this way.

Was just about to post a thread about this very issue wiht my MacBook. Why is Steam eating up so many resources? Steam uses up over 20% of the CPU at almost all times. I've got a 2.4 GHz processor with 4 GB of memory, and yet my computer at times has it's resources completely hoarded by Steam to the point that the computer starts heating up and the fans go wild trying to cool it. This can't be normal.

I'm using a Mid 2010 MacBook Pro, 15" 2.53 GHz, 8gb ram and everything runs a treat except when doing a player search, it is strangely very, very sluggish. I only have England (all 4 leagues) & France (leagues 1 & 2) loaded with large database, got good star ratings too. Bit odd.

FM11 was absolutely fine.

yes.. they are just settings file and teh cache for temp files... which may be clogging up your resources

Is this something we'll just have to keep doing? I mean these files just reappear. Deleting cache files isn't going to keep Steam from being a resource hog on a Mac. I don't think there's anything SI can really do about that, it's something Steam would have to address I would imagine.

How often do de have to delete files User > Library > Caches & User > Library > Preferences. I have noticed an increase in speed of the game when clicking between screens but the files come back to those locations.

Any other ways to stop steam eating up so much resources ?

Anyone else find there Macbook pro fan on constantly when playing fm 12 even when your not going from day to day and processing fixtures.

• 3 weeks later...
How often do de have to delete files User > Library > Caches & User > Library > Preferences. I have noticed an increase in speed of the game when clicking between screens but the files come back to those locations.

Any other ways to stop steam eating up so much resources ?

Anyone else find there Macbook pro fan on constantly when playing fm 12 even when your not going from day to day and processing fixtures.

My fan is running constantly now. It's Steam that's doing it. FM isn't using much in the way of resources compared to the resources Steam is using.

Is there anyway around using Steam? Or are we simply forced to use a program that is a massive resource hog? It's quite frustrating really. I actually own FM 12 on a disc, so there really should be no need for me to have to use Steam.

Archived