Retiring people - can we see your stats for just a day after you retire?

It really bugs me that I get a news item saying that somebody really important in the game has just retired after a long career, blah blah blah, but I cannot click on him to see his career. The most recent being Stuart Pearce, who had a good career managing Tottenham for 15 years, just vanishes with a measly news item and I can no longer click his name.

It would be nice if the stats could remain for just one day so we can see what they did before vanishing completely.

Worse than this, I actually had a player retire from my team and he didn't even warrant a news item to mention his career. This wasn't just any player, it was Eden Hazard, who I signed at 19 and kept until 36, was a club legend and my best ever player. I knew he planned to retire on the 27th May, but not even a news item on the day he goes? Come on, give the world a chance to say goodbye!

the problem is, after 10 seasons the amount of data the game would have to store if it included every retired player or staff member would be so massive, the game would slow to a crawl eventually.
Not with the appropriate data structures and design.

the problem is, after 10 seasons the amount of data the game would have to store if it included every retired player or staff member would be so massive, the game would slow to a crawl eventually. It is annoying tho, happened to me with a few players.

Yes this becomes a problem with long term games. The data just mounts up. I'd like to see an option to archive stats, from league tables to individual player histories, archive them to a seperate file every 10 seasons or so, then the game could clear out all the old data - leaving the current and essential data intact. I think fifa manager has something similar, or at least it has a print option and a save stats to xml file option.

the problem is, after 10 seasons the amount of data the game would have to store if it included every retired player or staff member would be so massive, the game would slow to a crawl eventually. It is annoying tho, happened to me with a few players.

I realise this, and I think you missed my point about keeping them for just one day after we get the news that they are retiring.

This way we see the news, click on the player, view their history, then click continue and then his stats can disappear forever, not harming the size of the database.

ah ok i get you, like on the day he retires you could click on him and have a look back at his career. The other option about storing the data somewhere else would be great as well, again i love looking back at careers but unless they stay in football you cant.

Exactly, that's why I've spent ages compiling a spreadsheet to store the stats of my players. Lucky I got Hazard's just before he retired.

In addition to being able to view such data on/for a day, there should be an option for this info to be retained (like a tick box) so that you can keep it for posterity reasons etc. Quite often you might have a starlet coming through and you might want to later compare him to one of your former players.

I agree i'd like to see player and managers careers when its announced they've retired. I'd also like it if you could adjust the career stats to look at appearances by team (like on wikipedia), I know you can see it on biographys but biographys can be a mess to read and some of them don't even work properly. Some sort of filter for the managing achievements aswell so you can just see the things theyve won, been runner up or league positions would be good aswell. Small things but I just know i'd use them all the time.

I think a stop-gap measure which could be included without much effort, maybe already in FM13 if those SI guys are interested in doing that, could be to keep retired players or staff for a certain period of time. If that's one day, a month or even a year, it wouldn't impact the performance overly much, since it wouldn't change the game mechanics at all and only delay a certain function for a while.

The fact of the matter is, that with an ongoing career game that lasts anywhere from a decade to a human lifetime, the data that is being kept in the save is already impacting the performance a lot. In my latest career game, the savegame size doubled within the first four seasons and it didn't get much better afterward. Adding too much else to keep forever wouldn't be a good idea, although I can see where it would be neat to keep a few dozen people per year in the game. If SI were to limit themselves to save the data for the game's 30 most successful retiring stars worldwide per year, then add those people who either retired from your own club or were past stars and after 50 years the number of players in the game would have risen by only about 2000. I believe that to be a reasonable number, considering my career games start out with anywhere between 50 and 75k players.

Exporting all this data manually would be okay, but I'd much rather see a complete revamp of the whole archived data storage method. If SI were to streamline what should be kept in the savegame itself and what could be moved to an affiliated archive file, then we'd get two things out of it. One, much less performance loss in long career saves and two, the ability to view past player and staff data (due to the size demands a bit slower, obviously).

Archived