Managerial Rivalries

Have you had any massive rivalries with oppostion managers? Constantly iin battle with Fergie, Wenger or Mourinho?

I've always been going against Ancelotti in my Gateshaed save. He is currently top of the HoF but I'm catching him up!

Since season 1 Ive had a massive war of words with Roberto Mancini, the guy just started attacking me for no reason at the start! 10 years later and we still havnt made up :p

What is the relationship status like after so long?

The 'Has a poor opinion of you?' thing. :thup:

For my current Granada CF save, I'd say that José Mourinho is probably the biggest "rival" manager, given after this second season, we'll have played them six times.

Twice in the Spanish Cup Semi-Finals over two legs last season. 3-2 defeat away, 2-0 win at home.

Twice in the Spanish Super Cup over two legs this season. 0-0 draw at home, 2-1 win away.

Once in the league this season so far. 1-0 win at home.

Just about to play the first leg of the Spanish Cup Quarter-Finals against them away.

It's actually a good natured rivalry. Every time I've played them, Mourinho has been effusive in his praise for me. Likewise, I praise him in return. In the league, my team is currently top with Real Madrid second, Barcelona third. Guardiola left Barcelona to manage the Spanish national team and they appointed Mancini. I play Barcelona after this next match against Real Madrid.

Thing is, I would randomly praise Guardiola in the media. Mainly because there were some young Barça players I was after and wanted to be on good terms. Not sure how I'll go with Mancini, but I don't wish to come off worse in any mind games, given I'm managing a much smaller club.

I mostly reserve the mind games for managers of more local Andaluz teams, like Malaga or Sevilla. Last season I had a nice ward of words with the managers of Real Betis, Huelva and Xerez.

Managing Middlesbrough, the obvious candidates "hate" me. Steve Bruce at Sunderland and Alan Shearer who is now at Everton, I get why they would hate my guts....but my biggest war of words is with Gary Neville the surprisingly successful manager of Wolves. Don't know why, don't really care, but it makes me laugh.

Depends on the personality of the players really.

Sometimes, you can lower the morale of opposing players, if they have low professionalism, determination and ambition. It's basically placing the seed of doubt in their minds. Contrary to that though, strong character players may be driven more to prove you wrong, if you've been critical of their manager.

How common are manager rivalries/mind games in FM 2011?

I'm still on 2010, and I've never seen another manager say anything about me or my team. It almost seems like I have to instigate something... it's kind of boring :( .

I've had an ongoing war with John Terry for the last three seasons. Any chance I get, I trash him in the media. Somehow, I'm on his favoured personnel list, and he thinks we can become friends. He just got sacked at the end of the last season after getting Swansea relegated from the Premier League, so I'm definitely winning this war in every way possible.

All i get are the stupid after match comments by the opposing manager how we would be better if we stopped trying to walk the ball into the net . This comment is often after a match where we have hammered them and had between 20 and 30 shots on goal half of which are long distance from my midfield who cannot shoot straight to save their lives .

Archived