FMHi 2011 tactics

• SI Staff

Personally my current favourite is a 4-4-1-1 which I use with Brighton (it got us promoted as Champions from Division One in our first season :D).

Place the man up front as a 'Target Man', chap behind him as a ball winning midfielder (its his job to pressurise the opposition when they're trying to setup an attack), MC's as 'Attacking Playmarker' (for your more creative one) and a 'Deep Lying midfielder' (to give the defense some support).

This system worked really well - as 'tweaks' if I felt I was better than the opposition then I'd set my DL/DR as 'Wingbacks' early on in a match (and just after half-time) so they'd bomb forward and support more - then back to normal defenders if we went ahead. If I wasn't convinced we were the better side then they'd stay as 'Full Backs' the entire match.

Obviously though as with any tactic its going to be somewhat reliant on your having the right personnel available ..

I've been tweaking a 4-1-2-2-1, since that is my preferred formation. Right now, I'm having moderate success with an attacking mindset, short passing, committed tackling, and pressing set to on. My starting lineup is set up as follows:

DR and DL: wingbacks

DM is ball-winning

CM: box-to-box

CM: advanced playmaker

AML and AMR: inside forwards

ST: complete

I tweak this according to specific players. My first game is always Man Utd (obviously), so some of the success is due to the team. If I get it right (i.e., successful tactic as opposed to strong team), I'll post more information.

433att..normal passing..normal tacking and pressing on.

PTR- all three cm's ball winners.. Rest of players at preset.

Scores loads and concedes less than my post before this edit.

Just won championship with Barnsley 1st season.. Vassell & davenport only signings.

(I'm on my 3rd career already.. I'm spoilt for choice!!!!)

Just won championship with Barnsley 1st season.. Vassell & davenport only signings.

Used a very similar style with Burnley but 4-4-2 Att

Scored 114 goals but conceded more than the bottom tream, finished 2nd and won League Cup (Beat Man U in final 4-3 =D )

Also signed Vassell on the free, who was banging them in left right and centre

Personally my current favourite is a 4-4-1-1 which I use with Brighton (it got us promoted as Champions from Division One in our first season :D).

Place the man up front as a 'Target Man', chap behind him as a ball winning midfielder (its his job to pressurise the opposition when they're trying to setup an attack), MC's as 'Attacking Playmarker' (for your more creative one) and a 'Deep Lying midfielder' (to give the defense some support).

This system worked really well - as 'tweaks' if I felt I was better than the opposition then I'd set my DL/DR as 'Wingbacks' early on in a match (and just after half-time) so they'd bomb forward and support more - then back to normal defenders if we went ahead. If I wasn't convinced we were the better side then they'd stay as 'Full Backs' the entire match.

Obviously though as with any tactic its going to be somewhat reliant on your having the right personnel available ..

Thanks for that Marc, i trusted this tactic as you developed the game!

After a series of failed tactics (from me and from others on here) i tried this and won 4-0 on my first game. Thanks!

EDIT: New save with Arsenal, tried to make my own

Succesfull? 6-0 on my first game V Wigan and 4-1 v Rubin on my second!

Here it is:

Formation: 5-3-2 Attacking

Team Instructions:

Mentality: Attacking

Passing: Short

Tackling: Normal

Pressing: Yes

Offside Trap: No

Counter Attack: No

Men Behind Ball: No

Player Roles:

Gk - GK

3 Centre Backs - Central Def.

2 Wingers - Defensive Winger

2 Central Midfielders - Ball Winning Mid.

Attacking Mid - Adv. Playmaker

2 Strikers - Target Man

Please try it out and see how effective it is for you :)

afer watching barca put on another masterclass lastnight, and the way pep gets the best out of every player. and with stats like this to boast in only 3 seasons as a manager and won 8 trophies, 6 of which were in one calender year.

League Cup Europe Other Totals

W D L W D L W D L W D L GP W D L Win % Gf Ga Gd

27 6 5 7 2 0 7 5 1 1 0 1 62 42 13 7 67.74% 158 55 +103

31 6 1 3 0 1 6 4 2 5 0 0 59 45 10 4 76.27% 138 39 +99

14 1 1 2 0 0 4 2 0 1 0 1 26 21 3 2 80.77% 77 16 +61

72 13 7 12 2 1 17 11 3 7 0 2 147 108 26 13 73.47% 373 110 +263

i have tried every tactic around and tried to make my own but barca seem to be the one team i cant recreate like pep has made, getting iniesta messi xavi villa and now pedro this season as well. playing the way they do and scoring so freely is almost impossible i think to recreate and with such a small squad because you always get injuries alot i find on the game.

How do you set fullbacks to wingbacks on FMH?

To change a fullback's tactical role to wingback you'll need to go to player tactical roles which you'll find in tactics links (the button in the far bottom right of the tactics page.) You can change the role of your fullbacks to wingbacks by selecting the icon of the player whose tactical role you wish to alter. Once changed, remember to hit back where you can then confirm your changes.

I have made a decent 4-4-2 tactic. With 4 games being played with it so far with Bradford. Results:

Walsall (Win) 3-2

Cheltenham (Draw) 1-1

Fulham (Loss) 0-1

Port Vale (Win) 3-0

I am quite pleased with it so far, holding Fulham at 1-0 for 5 mins (they f'king scored on the 85th min :@)

Cheltenham were 3rd at the time and Port Vale were 1st when I played them.

Endless thanks for that, however for me i changed passing to short, it seemed to work better.

I'm Motherwell FC in my game and these are my past 5 games with this tactic:

Euro cup playoff leg 1 - BSC Young Boys 2-2 Motherwell

SPL - Motherwell 5-0 Inverness CT

Euro cup playoff leg 2 - Motherwell 5-0 BSC Young Boys (THAT WAS A SHOCKER FOR ME!)

SPL - Cetlic 0-1 Motherwell

SPL - Motherwell 6-1 Aberdeen

:)

here are some images from the best bits for my porto game using decs433i but i still use mixed passing with the odd direct match. would love to see other gamers images and stats.

my biggest win so far

11vp7bc.jpg

a few of my results

2ufa5p4.jpg

falcao is the man!

2ptrrzo.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I've had the best success using a 4-1-3-2.

I set the DCs to BPD, and the fullbacks to wingback.

Next man up is a ball-winning mid, then the next 3 are a mix of box-to-box mids, and attacking mids, it depends on who I'm playing, and the players I have available for the match. If I'm playing a strong club, at least 2 will be BBMs.

Up top I usually play with 1 set to advanced forward, and the other to poacher, but again, it depends on who you have available.

At home I play balance, unless I'm playing a much weaker team, then I play attacking.

On the road I mainly play defensive.

At home tackling is normal, passing is mixed, I press and use the offsides trap.

On the road tackling Is committed, passing is short, I press, and keep men behind the ball. I dont like to play the counter.

I originally played the 4-4-2 attacking, but my wingers were always getting hurt, it may have had to do with the training regiments at the time, so I may give it another go.

This has all been with Liverpool, but only Skrtel and Insua remain from the original side.

• SI Staff
Hi Marc I am trying the tactic you posted with Southampton and I am doing ok but do you change any of the team instructions?

I normally play committed tackling and direct passing with everything else at 'defaults' (ie. balanced mentality, no pressing or anything else). However I tend to change these around sometimes, if I'm chasing a game I'll got attacking and to heck with the consequences (this can mean me losing 3-0 now and again, but personally I count a 3-0 loss the same as a 1-0 loss), similarly if I'm winning by a single goal and worried then I'll switch to defensive around the 70th minute - that side of things.

(also sometimes if I feel I need to control a game more I'll switch to short passing, if I'm out of my class I might switch to long ball and just play 'lump and chase' ...)

Have to say that the introduction of the player ‘tactical roles’ is for me the single best creation in the FM series for years – so much easier and intuitive to use – especially with the info tab that tells you what each role will demand of your player

I play with AFC Wimbledon at the moment and use this tactics:

4-1-3-2 (normally a play Balanced but if i play a club is way better i set it to defense and if i am really stronger i put it on attacking).

Passing Style: Direct (Marc already told it i see, If i want more control of the game i put it on short)

Tackling: Committed (if i get too many yellow cards i put it on normal and if i lead with 3-0 i put it most of the time on cautious because normally you will win a game if you lead 3-0 and you don't want any stupid yellow or red cards).

Pressing: NO (i switch this in the game if i controlled the game and have many opportunities.

Offside trap: NO

Counter Attack: NO (some times if i play a way better team and i don't think i can win the game i hope with put 'counter attack' on too force any opportunities too score a 1-0.

Men Behind Ball: NO (if in the game my strikers have too many offsides i put this on.

Player Tactical Roles:

GK: Goalkeeper

DL: Full Back (if you have a great back that can defend and have also good passing/crossing skills and good stamina you can set this too wing back).

DC: Central Def.

DR: Full Back ( same as DL)

DMC: Ball Winning Mid.

MCL: Adv. Playmaker

MC: Box too Box Player (you need a guy here that have a good stamina because the player run allot and have really bad consequences for the condition in a game.)

MCR: Adv. Playmaker

CF: Target man (need a high skill on strength)

CF: Advanced Fwd.

Its really work for me but i had too buy players that can play in this tactics so i will not work for any team i think.

Cheers,

Jim

Not really, my target man has 11 strength and averages at leasta goal a game with end season stats of (e.g 40 played 46 goals)

Ok so a target man don't need strength? What are the things that a target man must have? In my opinion a target man must hold a ball so he needs his strength right?

• SI Staff
Ok so a target man don't need strength? What are the things that a target man must have? In my opinion a target man must hold a ball so he needs his strength right?

I personally like Target Men to have strength but it depends on how you see a target man working and use him - for instance Crouch isn't imho a strong player but you can use him as a target man heading balls down to other players .... however he's not going to be as good at holding up the ball as Rooney is obviously.

I personally like Target Men to have strength but it depends on how you see a target man working and use him - for instance Crouch isn't imho a strong player but you can use him as a target man heading balls down to other players .... however he's not going to be as good at holding up the ball as Rooney is obviously.

That make sense Marc.

I totally agree with the fact that a good target man depends how you use him. But you can't give your players instructions how too pass the ball too the target man? so you don't have a choice how you use the target man, or make the players there own decisions how too use the target man?

• SI Staff
That make sense Marc.

I totally agree with the fact that a good target man depends how you use him. But you can't give your players instructions how too pass the ball too the target man? so you don't have a choice how you use the target man, or make the players there own decisions how too use the target man?

I've tried to make the players use 'common sense' based on their talent and intelligence - thus if you've a good team and put Crouch as a target man they'll response sensibly .... same sort of thing with regards to changing formations in FMHi, players are presumed to be familiar with all the basic formations in the game and so don't have to 'learn/adapt' to one when you change to it.

Just can't win a game with Dortmund using the new 4231 formation.

Has anybody had any luck with it?

I have played 6 lost 6 and Dortmund are by far the best team in Germany this year

• SI Staff
Just can't win a game with Dortmund using the new 4231 formation.

Has anybody had any luck with it?

I have played 6 lost 6 and Dortmund are by far the best team in Germany this year

I'll give it a whirl in a short while (cat litter to change first, I've a fun evening here ;) ) .... what setup are you using for the team tactics etc.?

• SI Staff

Had a quite run as Dortmund here - found the 4231 works ok if you leave it on default settings (haven't played around with roles or team instructions at all) BUT you might have gotten unlucky and had a tough start like I did.

I played 3 friendlies - won 2 comfortably and drew the other 1-1, first competitive game I lost against Bayern in the Cup - 1-0 with a late goal away from home, second competitive match was in the Euro Cup against Montpellier at Home that was a 1-1 draw. Then I got Bayern away AGAIN (whoever drew up this fixture list doesn't like me) lost that 2-0, Next beat Montpellier 2-1 away from home to go through to the next round of the Euro Cup and then beat Koln 1-0 at home in the league.

Not 'fantastic' results - but reasonable imho considering I wasn't really trying to enhance things beyond their natural defaults and had quite a tough set of fixtures.

From the brief play I had I think using this team you could get more effective attacking by using Barrios as a deep forward, tell the two wingers to play as inside forwards (so they support the lone striker) and have the AMC as an advanced play-maker. This would 'buff' things up a little more imho - other things to watch out for the AI selects Mario Gotze as the AMC in this formation by default (or did for me) - I prefer him being used on the wing because he's not a great finisher and has no strength for holding onto the ball under pressure if crowded by a physical defense ... better to put him on the wing where he can run at at people and use his good crossing ability.

(just my tuppence worth - feel free to ignore me :D)

I'll give it a whirl in a short while (cat litter to change first, I've a fun evening here ;) ) .... what setup are you using for the team tactics etc.?

Sorry Marc I had come offline, I was just using the default but was trying to tweak it after every loss I had

"(just my tuppence worth - feel free to ignore me )"

Sorry Marc the joys of having a girlfriend she was moaning I hadn't been off my iPhone all night, tried to explain to her there was a new update out that I needed to try out. Women they just don't understand the anticipation surrounding updates and FM in general.

I Have followed Dortmund closely this season and picked there exact team kehl, sahin as DMC grobkreutz AML kagawa AMC gotze AMR barrios FC.

I will try it out with your tweaks thanks a lot Marc. I would love there to be another bugel433 to come from the 4231 because it's a great formation.

• SI Staff
Is there any other great tactics out there other then bugel433 and dec433 for the iPhone. Just getting a bit bored of always using 433

There are quite a few which are good - I think the 4-3-3 seems to be flexible regardless of the style of team more than a lot of other tactics, I've had a fair bit of success using a straight 4-4-2 (no customisations) with Man Utd during testing (won the league), done very very well in my own game as Brighton in the first season using a 4-4-1-1 and then adapted to a 4-4-2 attacking and finally a 4-1-3-2 as I've risen through the divisions.

Give things a try - main thing I'd suggest is don't go gung ho uber attacking straight away when trying out a new formation, try to keep things balanced at first and see how you can evolve it over time ...

I play with AFC Wimbledon at the moment and use this tactics:

4-1-3-2 (normally a play Balanced but if i play a club is way better i set it to defense and if i am really stronger i put it on attacking).

Passing Style: Direct (Marc already told it i see, If i want more control of the game i put it on short)

Tackling: Committed (if i get too many yellow cards i put it on normal and if i lead with 3-0 i put it most of the time on cautious because normally you will win a game if you lead 3-0 and you don't want any stupid yellow or red cards).

Pressing: NO (i switch this in the game if i controlled the game and have many opportunities.

Offside trap: NO

Counter Attack: NO (some times if i play a way better team and i don't think i can win the game i hope with put 'counter attack' on too force any opportunities too score a 1-0.

Men Behind Ball: NO (if in the game my strikers have too many offsides i put this on.

Player Tactical Roles:

GK: Goalkeeper

DL: Full Back (if you have a great back that can defend and have also good passing/crossing skills and good stamina you can set this too wing back).

DR: Full Back ( same as DL)

DMC: Ball Winning Mid.

MCL: Adv. Playmaker

MC: Box too Box Player (you need a guy here that have a good stamina because the player run allot and have really bad consequences for the condition in a game.)

MCR: Adv. Playmaker

CF: Target man (need a high skill on strength)

CF: Advanced Fwd.

Its really work for me but i had too buy players that can play in this tactics so i will not work for any team i think.

Cheers,

Jim

Im playing 4-5-1 and have found out that it has to bee one off the best formation on smaller teams. After playing some seasons with barcelona I saw that all the team behind me in the league, or the teams playing the semi-finals and finals in the CL and euro league played with 4-5-1. (Lyon won CL two times in arrow !) Im now on my fourth season and Im leading the Championship with AFC Wimbledon :-D My first season Kedwell scored 65 goals on 45 games ;-) I play with the normal player setup, mentalety I have: Attacking, mixed pasing, Committed tackling and pressing. I loose like one or to games a season to the attacking mentalety, but when I mostly win or draw the rest its fine with me. My second season in league 2 I ended the season with 119 points ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody been able to make a tactic as good as bugel and decs 433 using any other formation. Is it even possible, I am still trying but with no such luck do far. I especially want one for the new 4231, has anybody out there cracked it?

Archived