Torres retires from International Football at 29?? :S

Retirements seem borked totally .. Jermaine Defore retired at 31 to take charge of Fulham, Fat Frank Lampard retired at 34, became an assistant manager at Forest, then retired totally from the game after a year, Woogate retired and was offered the Arsenal job in 2014 O.o ... quite unrealistic and rather silly

Ok this one has puzzled me. Fernando Torres just retired from international football in his prime at the age of 29. Just 1 year before the 2014 world cup too. As Liverpool manager I should be delighted but I find it a bit odd.

You should see what Cantona did at 30 ;)

Paul Scholes retired from international football at 29, as (iirc) did Jamie Carragher, both because they thought they were being played out of position and not treated as well as Gerrard/Lampard and Ferdinand/Terry/King/Woodgate/Campbell respectively.

Whilst FM doesn't have quite that level of sophistication, has Torres been picked regularly for Spain? If not, I think it's understandable.

On FM10 in one of my saves I remember John Terry wasn't taken to the world cup because he had been injured, he was fit but at the start of the tournament was really low on fitness and he retired then. I was quite surprised when I was Chelsea manager a couple years later to see had retired after that world cup without playing in it. But England did win the world cup without him, probably without having to fear where their wives were in relation to where John Terry was the team played much better and were successful.

This is a bit off topic but, One of my best players in PSG, Nene is now 31. I suggested that he would become a manager after he retired and he asked if I wanted him to start right away. This is a really nice, new feature that I didn't know about :)

Players retire for all sorts of reasons. But I agree it's screwed up. Better than FM10 where you had to force players out of the game. Seriously, Gerrard at 36 and marked as backup to the squad and didn't play for 2 seasons still thought he should be first choice

• Administrators

I'd suggest it's due to his numerous injury problems - probably thought he could make his career last a bit longer if he retired. The fact he's done it a year before a World Cup is odd, but he has already won one, and I imagine if the AI Spain manager tried to persuade him, he could possibly be talked round.

Alan Shearer retired from international football @ 29 leaving the nation with Emile Hesky as second best striker in the country (still bitter about that).

off topic but heskey was better than rooney, gerrard, terry and almost any other player in the england squad at the world cup - heskey with the right role is still a decent player

Archived