How can i become a Football Manager beta tester

Well after years of tears hitting the keys on my keyboard as well was untold joy with the likes of CM,FM and FML which have all gave me great enjoyment, i think its time i gave back to the game and SI/Sega by helping out with beta testing.

Question is though....How can i become/have a chance of becoming a beta tester ?

Is there a place i put my name down or is it a super secret knock into a secret part of the forum :)

Thanks, James.

• Administrators

If anyone wants to Beta Test for Sports Interactive games then you can PM me and you'll then be considered. However I must say we'd prefer people who are obviously active on the forums and who have posted in the bugs forums in the past. If you've not posted much, how about explaining to me why you think you'd be a good beta tester? It'd probably improve your chances! Thanks :)

You buy the game in the shops like the rest of us ...

The fanboi's will flame, but Publishers want an ROI asap, whether the developers are really happy about releasing the game or not.

SI's release model (1 full game a year) precludes continuous post publication polishing, as development resources are moved to the next iteration.

This is the same for all stand alone software products, sadly it will never change.

Developing a game is a hugely complicated task, mistakes will be made by the developers, after all they are only human.

Add a multiplayer option to a game and you add an extra layer of complexity.

The pre-release QA will get the biggest most glaring errors, but release gives you access to thousands of testers, that will pay to test/play a product.

Software is ALWAYS in a beta-stage, eventually the decision is made 'at what point do the number of remaining errors become acceptable'

Buying a game or any other software package is not like buying a car.

When you buy a car, you expect the wheels to not fall off, the brakes to work etc.

Sotware developers/publishers will never be given the same levels of legislation that car manufacturers have to adhere to.

Software does not career through a queue of children at a bus stop, faulty cars do.

Fanboi's will not 'get' my point.

Buying a game or any other software package is not like buying a car.

When you buy a car, you expect the wheels to not fall off, the brakes to work etc.

Sotware developers/publishers will never be given the same levels of legislation that car manufacturers have to adhere to.

Software does not career through a queue of children at a bus stop, faulty cars do.

"Software" is regualted by the same rules as the "Hardware" it is playing in. Car braking systems, for instance, are very tightly regulated. QA on Space shuttles and Airplanes is equally very tight! The same can be said for a lot of "Software" you use everyday, mobile phones etc. You expect them to work, and they do 99.9% of the time, with very very few bugs/issues and where there are issues they are very minor.

As a rule "Games Software", and many other "Business Software", has not to date conformed to the same strict levels. That doesn't mean it will always be the way and everyone should accept it, it may not be safety critical but all software houses strive for no issues at release, I suggest looking up costs of bug fixing and the increases from development through post release. Basically it's cheaper to fix a bug now than after release by a considerable amount, and so an extra 4 weeks development/testing early is a much beter RoI than waiting for everyone to buy the game and fix it then.

No, I'm not a fanboi, I just understand how software is made and the relative costs. There are plenty of sources freely available on the web that can explaiin the above in much more detail!

• 1 year later...

I think I would make a good beta tester as if theres a bug it will happen to me. I got the stats issue bug this year, I got fm10s penalty bug the first time I went to penalties. I guess I'm just unlucky when it comes to bugs.

How long do they get to beta test it?, it seems none of the ones they have bother testing play past 2 or 3 seasons. Or all manage the best clubs in the top leagues judging by how downhill it goes after a few seasons turning a small club into a large.

I just dont think I could be bothered.

I think I would make a good beta tester - I just dont think I could be bothered.

I'm sure your invitation is in the post ;)

Some people have been beta testing since the CM days. If you're good, chances are you'll be kept on. You'd be amazed at how much of the game is covered in testing, though people without testing experience often react as you do.

How long do they get to beta test it?, it seems none of the ones they have bother testing play past 2 or 3 seasons. Or all manage the best clubs in the top leagues judging by how downhill it goes after a few seasons turning a small club into a large.

I just dont think I could be bothered.

Testers can't play 15-20 seasons forward with every single team in every single league so simple is that. And even with a years testing time you will still have a lot of bugs. Every time you fix a bug a new can pop up in many places. Also as writed other place in this threads a beta test just can't get every single bug logged thats just not possible.

I'm sure your invitation is in the post ;)

Some people have been beta testing since the CM days. If you're good, chances are you'll be kept on. You'd be amazed at how much of the game is covered in testing, though people without testing experience often react as you do.

I just know its not all fun and games. Some people just want to beta test for a free game and early access.

It would be awesome to beta test FM, always enjoyed my years beta testing FML (under other forum usernames) anyway.

I know a guy who has tested FM for years now and he told me it was by invite only unless you apply when SI post positions. Wonder how many people PM SI employee's begging for a spot :p

Archived