Closest League Finish?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> goal difference with Man Utd on FM07, i was newcastle. Won the league on the last day of the season by 2 goals lol, then that first league win just snowballed into more trophies over the seasons </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Keegan would LOVE IT, yes LOVE it if that happened.....

It always seems like the league goes down the wire, only had one exception where it hasnt.

Whenever X needs to beat Y with X needing to draw for me to get promoted, always seem to miss out too!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">THEY GOT THE RELEGATED SIDES RIGHT AS LEAST!!!!! who did you sign for spurs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I signed all the players Spurs did IRL in January and Ever Banega for 3.3m...

I played a game with Hibs, in my third season I was two points behind Rangers and Celtic, they played each other on the last day, and with my superior goal difference, needed a draw in that game and for me to beat motherwell. I got the old firm draw, but despite dominating for the whole game I failed to score against motherwell!

True story! unsurprisingly I broke my mouse after the full time whistle.

The closest I can remember having is on FM06 with my Villa side, on the last day, I was 1st with by two points, and basically, I just needed a win to secure the league title, against a low placed but comfortable Derby side. The two other teams in contention for the title were Norwich and Portsmouth, both two points behind me with a lower goal difference. I was winning the match against Derby 2-0 up until the 50th minute or so, when they scored three goals with in twenty minutes. Needless to say, my mouse was in danger. I managed to get one back just before injury time, the match finishing 3-3. Norwich had won their match 1-0, which wasn't enough to close the goal difference gap, and Portsmouth had drew 1-1. The top three was something like:

1st Aston Villa 73pts +34GD

2nd Norwich 73pts +27GD

3rd Portsmouth 71pts +28GD

If it wasn't for that late goal, I would have lost the league which I had previously been well ahead in by 7pts. That was the first time in my long career on that particular game that I had won the Premier League. I came close the season after, finishing second by 5pts, but winning it again the season after that with relative ease, having a nice 11pt gap at the top. That's when I decided to call it a day for that career. icon_smile.gif

I want to see someone top this! icon_biggrin.gif

I was managing Celtic in 2006/07 and the season came down to my final game at home versus Rangers, who led me by three points and five on goal differential (meaning I had to win by three goals to win the title). I ended up winning the game 4-2, leaving this as the final league table ...

Rangers 24 won, 7 drawn, 7 lost, 79 points, +43 goal differential (73-30)

Celtic 24 won, 7 drawn, 7 lost, 79 points, +42 goal differential (81-39)

Last day of my first season in charge with Bayern on my most recent game and i'm 3 points behind in 3rd with Schalke and Bremen equal in 1st and 2nd. They both lose and I hammer Cottbus to take it on GD. Phew.

Next season I won the league by end of March and won CL as well.

In FM07 i saw something like a split of about 6 points between the team that won the league and the team that finished bottom.

OK it was only the Slovenian, or suchlike, league that had 10 or 12 teams in it but still pretty impressive

Managing recently-promoted SV Darmstadt 98 in the 2009-2010 1.Bundesliga, I needed to take points in my last match to earn a respectable 6th (and earn a Euro Cup spot). We got our result, only to learn later than 2.Bundesliga Kaiserslautern won the German Cup and thereby nicked our Euro Spot, sending us to the Inter-Toto.

Fortunately we won through Inter-Toto and got back into Euro Cup. We were quite happy to draw Beita Jerusalem in the final round when we could have had AS Roma! icon_biggrin.gif

• Administrators

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag GD Pts

1 C Arsenal 38 26 6 6 93 42 +51 84

2 Fulham 38 26 6 6 94 44 +50 84

</pre>

On FM05. Painful on two counts.

- With 6 games left we met at the Cottage and I led 3-1 in injury time but conceded on 92 and 95 to drop two points to Arsenal.

- Last day of the season away at Charlton, had my goalie sent off, and had no backup on the bench as he was injured. Mohammed Zidan went in goal and we proceeded to take a 2-0 lead. Lost it in the 92nd minute 3-2. Always hated Tom Soetaers since he scored that goal.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Pos Team Pld W D L For Ag GD Pts

1 C Liverpool 38 25 10 3 92 44 +44 85

2 Sunderland 38 27 4 5 91 43 +44 85

3 Chelsea 38 26 6 6 87 36 +51 84

</pre>

Played Liverpool on the last day of the season and lost 3 - 1, meaning i lost the league by goals scored. Chelsea also lost on the last day meaning they came third by only 1 point.

Archived