Clubs are always in debt

I'm bemused at every time I get offered a job at a top club they are millions in debt. I look at their transfer activity and notice they haven't spent that much at all. They do well in the Europe and must rake in a lot of cash from competitions by winning the league etc. yet still have huge amounts of debt. I just took over as Chelsea boss and they are £50m in debt with practically the same players from 2010 - only 5 new additions and 7 players out from the whole squad. They won the league in 2010, runners up in the Champs League twice yet they get that much into debt? It just doesn't add up. I'm in the year 2015 now. I get offered £43m to spend on transfers. Then two weeks later the new season starts so I get raped and get £40m for the new seasons. The chairmen does however pump in £40m to ease debts but not every club has a chairmen like Chelsea's.

You find in reality that virtual all epl clubs are in debt; some more than others, but it's whether that debt is manageable. I don't what it is like in the rest of the world though.

Although any clubs qualifying for europe next season have to send their financial details to UEFA to prove they are not about to go bust. I believe Portsmouth didn't submit their details so even if they win the FA Cup they won't be allowed into the europa league.

Chelsea have just gone into administration in my game. My guess is that Roman stopped pumping the money in, and without CL football for one season and paying ridiculous wages they just got into more and more debt. Most prem clubs operate beyond their means in terms of wages as a % of turnover.

I read a few months ago that only two teams in the top two divisions in England are not in debt. Arsenal and Scunthorpe are two, I think the third is Doncaster but I can't remember for sure.

Arsenal are in massive debt from building the Emeriates, I read in News of the World a few months ago that only Wolves and Birmingham are the only sides in the EPL not to have any debt.

Every club has a loan or a debt so really the game should be based round this concept and makes a managers job alot harder due to restrictions but that's why the game is such a challenge.

Maybe Chelsae's players have clauses like 10% wage rise every year, so that's a huge amount of money piling up every year on the wage bill. Don't forget with a mediocre sized stadium there's lot less money then say Man Utd get for Old trafford

I believe that as long as you manage the wage budget properly (green bar), the club won't blame you for the negative finances. The big clubs are always injecting new cash and providing generous moneys to buy players each year, so it doesn't sounds as bad...

Archived