I hope this FM Live game does not affect FM games getting good

I've had a look at Football Manager Live and its not something I would play to be honest because its seems very time consuming, I just love Football Manager so i'll keep playing that as I can play that anytime I want. But my concern is this...now they are releasing FM Live and it will have loads of bugs, FM will get less attention, I know they make it every year but won't SI improve on he live game also? Would that affect FM2009 and and so on...?

I've had a look at Football Manager Live and its not something I would play to be honest because its seems very time consuming, I just love Football Manager so i'll keep playing that as I can play that anytime I want. But my concern is this...now they are releasing FM Live and it will have loads of bugs, FM will get less attention, I know they make it every year but won't SI improve on he live game also? Would that affect FM2009 and and so on...?

I don't know how you people feel but I feel jealous that FM Live is getting released, only because i'm not going to play...because I don't want to and don't plan to and also I think that more people might play FM Live and go away from playing the normal FM game making FM live more popular.

It obviousley has though. Look at home poor FM08 has been. It has not improved over FM07, in some ways it has been a step backwards.

There is talk however of the FM Live match engine being implemented in FM09.

There are many things that need a overhaul:

Match Engine

Transfer System

Morale

Simulated Matches

Media Interaction

Board Confidence

Training ?

To be perfectly honest if they just realeased a data update to FM07 that would of been much cheaper for them to do and would have less complaints.

Why not just stick the facegen gimick on the FM07 with a data update?

I have low expectations for FM09 (after having high for FM08) in the hope that I will be pleasantly surprised.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Navie:

I don't know how you people feel but I feel jealous that FM Live is getting released, only because i'm not going to play...because I don't want to and don't plan to and also I think that more people might play FM Live and go away from playing the normal FM game making FM live more popular. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't really concern myself with who else plays FM09. The fact that they are real players and it is a one off payment will draw enough people to keep the community alive enough.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Navie:

I don't know how you people feel but I feel jealous that FM Live is getting released, only because i'm not going to play...because I don't want to and don't plan to and also I think that more people might play FM Live and go away from playing the normal FM game making FM live more popular. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, since FM Live was announced, the general consensus on these boards appears to be that very few people are interested in it. So if this holds-up into and after release, I doubt FM will lose any popularity at all.

ShearersTino I also think FM09 will be poor unless training, media, player interaction is revamped. I was disappointed with FM08's lack of features, only thing I like is the confidence and the budget adjustment, its exactly the same as FM07, there was nothing major to be honest in FM08. I played this years CM2008 and was far impressed with that than FM08 but its too easy to win things at the moment on that, hopefully this years will be more challenging so will check that out if FM09 seems rubbish.

I don't know how people can play FM Live in the 1st place, its dumb because it has no real players or teams, how unrealistic can a game get?... and it won't feel like real football.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It obviousley has though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not one person from FM has been taken off the project for FML.

EHM's demise supplied Graeme Kelly and Ov Collyer returned from the wilderness - they're the main two as far as FML goes and they had nothing to do with FM08.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">its dumb because it has no real players </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The FML DB is the FM one, only the size is adjusted dependant on the size of the game world.

All the players are real until regens appear as known players retire, sound familiar?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ShearersTino:

It obviousley has though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FM's quality has almost nothing to do with FML. I believe that the only shared asset is the match engine which is now getting year-round exposure to thousands of testers - which should mean better quality.

If you didn't like FM08, that's fair enough - it's your opinion, after all - but that's not the fault of FML.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kriss:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">its dumb because it has no real players </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The FML DB is the FM one, only the size is adjusted dependant on the size of the game world.

All the players are real until regens appear as known players retire, sound familiar? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also, when this guy gets 10 seasons into FM, it also has no (or at least, fewer) real players.

I'm not getting into the Unrealistic debate again, but yea, you need to think carefully about what your saying, as its not making sense.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ShearersTino:

It obviousley has though. Look at home poor FM08 has been. It has not improved over FM07, in some ways it has been a step backwards. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is entirely your opinion, there are plenty of people who see FM08 as a another step forward. When new features are introduced there are always creases to iron out but imo since 8.0.2 the game's been excellent.

As for FML, it's also something I'll not be bothered about playing but that's only because I don't have the time to play any on-line games. That being said it will improve FM09 and FM10 if anything, simply because of the sheer amount of human vs human matches being played and tested.

My only complaint was that the MLS didn't get looked at at all for the patches. Nothing was done to fix the problems it had. The match engine works fine for me though. Everything else looked ok to me. Quality has not gone down whatsoever to me.

What I am trying to get at is that I am not too bothered about new features for the sake of it. I am more interested in the features that it currently has working correctly. Unfortunatly this doesn't sell games.

When I first saw the changes to FM08 I got excited by the lack of features, I thought they would take the time to finish and hone the features it already had, for some reason though they decided to alter parts of the game that were working fine.

The only way FM Live will affect FM09 is we have more people testing new match engine updates. Stress testing them, in fact. Human V Human always stretches the engine to it's limits.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt - SEGA:

FM's quality has almost nothing to do with FML. I believe that the only shared asset is the match engine which is now getting year-round exposure to thousands of testers - which should mean better quality.

If you didn't like FM08, that's fair enough - it's your opinion, after all - but that's not the fault of FML. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is FM2009's match engine going to be the same match engin from FM Live?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt - SEGA:

If you didn't like FM08, that's fair enough - it's your opinion, after all - but that's not the fault of FML. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree, Mark Vaughn said in here ages ago that he has been working solely on FML. If he has then either the FM crew has brought in a nuff nuff or 2 to make up numbers or are working with less people. Either way the FM crew is not what it was, that is assuming it was only Vaughn that moved as well. If another 1 or 2 were moved over to FML then the FM crew would've been seriously weakened.

You can't water down staff and assume nothing has changed or will change.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HonkyDick:

I disagree, Mark Vaughn said in here ages ago that he has been working solely on FML. If he has then either the FM crew has brought in a nuff nuff or 2 to make up numbers or are working with less people. Either way the FM crew is not what it was, that is assuming it was only Vaughn that moved as well. If another 1 or 2 were moved over to FML then the FM crew would've been seriously weakened.

You can't water down staff and assume nothing has changed or will change. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely, IF FML is moving the match engine ahead, and that ME will be incorporated into FM09, then working on FML does not necessarily negate developing FM09.

After trialling FML other features that work well could also be incorporated into FM09, so I don't see the need for pessimism here.

Archived