Shhhhh Hope I've not broken it

This maybe pure coincidence but I was struggling horrendously with my Kings Lynn team (Defuges Challenge) in League 2. Just couldn't get a win at all.

I'm pretty sure that I have a good solid tactic and great players for this level but I was letting in some stupid goals, mainly down to defender errors.

Anyway I was getting the ump to be honest so I thought I'd throw a Fergie'esque paddy and not speak to any press or do any team talks.

I'm attending each Press conference and pressing "No Comment" for every question and ticking the "alotted time up" box as soon as I'm able too.

Team talks are all set to "None" both at the start and at half time and since the very first Press conference and following game I'm have the best run ever. I've lost only twice and gone from staring certain relegation in the face to seriously being in contention for the play-offs !!!!

I've gone from scoring 4 goals a month to 4 a game !!! It's crazy.

Of course I'm loving it for the time being ..........................

I'm with you. I dodge every question I can in press conferences and it has done the harmony etc and results a lot of good. I am undecided on team talks. I usually err on the side of mollycoddling and go with 'you can win this' before matches. Nothing during and 'well done' or 'sympathise' after it.

It feels a bit like you can do more harm than good with comments and so it is safer to stick with very little. My ass manager got poached about 15 games ago and it was the best thing that has happened to my results. Not lost since. He was doing the odd team talk and all opp instructions before.He was meant to be good as well. Pretty much decided not to replace him till end of season for friendly purposes etc.

Less is more

Well I finished 12th which was my highest ever finish.

More interestingly 1st game of the new season I did the same and by half-time I was 4-0 up then I forgot to clear the the assistants advice of being pleased with all players.

Had a shocking 2nd half and ended up winning 4-2. Rochdale didn't even have a shot 1st half!!!

Anyway won't post anymore would just be interested if doing the same has had an effect with anybody else.

Interesting idea. Press conferences have always frustrated me. You might say something that seems OK, yet your player gets ****ed off. In real life it'd be much easier. I feel like I'm blind in the game. Maybe I'll also boycott the press conferences. It sounds quite funny constantly saying 'no comment'.

It's even better when they press you for a proper answer because I've taken to using the "Storm Out" option.......still works

6 League games into my first full season of being a press fiend and I'm sitting 2nd (W3 D2 L1)

I've played 2 cup games.

League Cup 1st round against Coventry (Championship Side) - Dominated the game and lost in Extra Time

Johnsons Paint Trophy against Charlton (League 1 side) - Again dominated the game and only lost on Penalties.

I've made no new permanent signings from the previous season only got 4 loaners in two of which I had last season and the other 2 are covering Strikers who rarely get a game (although they may do now because my star strikers only gone and bust his leg !!!)

Aaaaaarrrrggghhhhhh I'm ranting, you don't wanna know all this !!!

I've tried this and the players ain't getting miffed at all. Checked my assistant feedback.

They all seemed to get miffed at me when I do it! They whine and say "doesn't think the manager gives enough credit to the team" and "doesn't think the manager appriciates his contribution".

I've not had a single piece of negative player feedback in what now must be approaching 2 seasons.

Incidently start to first season in League 1 - P4 W3 D1 L0 sitting 3rd behind the 2 other teams that got promoted !!

As for the cup games - Just lost to Prem side Middlesborough in the League Cup AET dominated possession and conceed right at the end. Beat Sheff Utd (Championship) 3-0 before playing Boro.

Forgot to say before that last season I got to the FA Cup 4th round too.

Another very useful aspect of this way of playing is that I now no longer need an Assistant Manager for the team talks or for the Press handling so that means I can hire one based purely on his training methods rather than his Man Management and other mental skills.

Particulally handy when your limited to the amount of coaches you can have.

For me it's "None" before Kick Off at Half-Time and at the End of the game.

Occasionally I will comment in press conferences but ONLY when one of my players has a serious long term injury as that cheers them up a bit but other it's all "No Comment" and if they repeat the question I storm out.

Still flying high. 2 pts off top spot with a game in hand.

So glad it's working for you Goon14 :-) I thought I'd bust my game !!!

This is clearly a bug and I will DEMAND SI fix it so you guys can no longer do this! ;)

Is it a bug though ?!? Fergie rarely gives interviews and especially not to the BBC, he won't even talk to them.

Also with the teamtalks I'm guessing it's fully depended on your players because as reported in this thread some people are experiencing player rebuke.

I've only signed on average about 2 players per season after the first one (plus loan players, which I've then generally signed full time) which could mean that I have superb dressing room harmony as they've not only been playing together for several seasons but also the backroom staff have changed very little.

Havng said that it wasn't just a gradual change in results and performance it was instantanious...............hmmmmm (Still don't tell anybody because I like success LOL)

Is it a bug though ?!? Fergie rarely gives interviews and especially not to the BBC, he won't even talk to them.

Also with the teamtalks I'm guessing it's fully depended on your players because as reported in this thread some people are experiencing player rebuke.

I've only signed on average about 2 players per season after the first one (plus loan players, which I've then generally signed full time) which could mean that I have superb dressing room harmony as they've not only been playing together for several seasons but also the backroom staff have changed very little.

Havng said that it wasn't just a gradual change in results and performance it was instantanious...............hmmmmm (Still don't tell anybody because I like success LOL)

Well whatever it is you can bet that after the next patch it wont work anymore!!!

Thanks a bunch!!!! hahahaha

Just Kidding!!! Havent tried this yet but i'm def going to!!

Still no change to either tactic or stratagy.

Having a bit of a barren spell for the first time in ages though. Losing some away games and just about winning at home, very tight games mind you and conceeding mostly down to defender or GK error.

I think this might be because I'm having a fantastic run in the FA Cup where I'll be meeting Chelsea in the 5th round (Knocked out Everton at Goodison 4-2 in the 3rd round)

Still I'm not falling behind in the league, still 4th and starting to get my swagger back again.

I did this on (FM10) with my Leeds team, won most of my games against the midtable teams, and went on to win the Europa League vs Arsenal. I give teamtalks at full time though or else the players complain, but for press conferences I just 'no comment' my way through every single one of them and don't give pre-match or half time team talks, and I have to say it seems to be working

I was just joking mate!

I realised LOL

Just adding a lttle colour incase they do decide to fix it.

Hopefully there is nothing to fix. I would like it if there was an option to turn press conferences especially, off altogether, without it affecing your team, good or bad.

Maybe this is SI's way of doing it at the minute?

I'm sure that even if I said something to SI they'd just reply "No Comment" :-)

Anyway just had my first lot of players getting the ump. I'm in the championship now so maybe getting results against a much higher standard of competition makes the players feel like they should be praised more, that'd make sense I suppose but nevertheless their morale is still either superb or very good.

I might start doing as someone has suggested and praise them a little in the post game teamtalk but I'm not going to change the press conference strategy.

Definately agree with you in being able to take it our completely Ellis D

Archived