Do PPMs affect atrtributes?

No, PPMs are only player preferences, their style of play, things the player does regularly. They aren't necessarily good or bad. The players attributes are not linked, they just effect how useful the PPMs are, e.g. it's not worth a player having the 'shoots long' PPM if he has a low long shots rating, but if he has a very good rating it could be a useful PPM.

I haven't played with this in FM'10, but when I was doing a lot of experimenting in FM'09, I found that the best PPM's consume CA, just like attributes do.

I had a midfielder who was hitting a lot of long-range efforts, he had good Long Shots and Finishing for our division, and he was still fairly young, so I mentored him in one of the long-shooting PPM's. The day he learned the PPM, his Long Shots dropped by three and his Finishing dropped by two ... the net effect was that he started taking even more long-range efforts, and spraying them high and wide of the mark.

I think this is a natural control mechanism, so you can't just load down every attacking player on your squad with PPM's that help him score ... but you can also spin the story, mentally, to make it seem logical:

Places Shots makes sense as an "expensive" PPM; I'm not surprised it lowered the striker's Finishing given how it works with CA. However, you can think of the lowered Finishing as representing the increased chance of him putting a shot wide of the net, because he's now always aiming towards those tough-to-hit corners.

. .

I always meant to test whether I could teach a player a negative PPM in order to increase his CA :D but I never got around to it.

One could also argue then that there's little point in making a player learn Preferred Moves?

My winger is learning 'dribbles down right' at the moment, so is that going to have a negative effect on his dribbling skill? If so this just seems out of whack to me...

I realise learning new moves adds another string to a players bow, but if it's at the expense of his skill level then what are the cons?

• SI Staff
I haven't played with this in FM'10, but when I was doing a lot of experimenting in FM'09, I found that the best PPM's consume CA, just like attributes do.

I had a midfielder who was hitting a lot of long-range efforts, he had good Long Shots and Finishing for our division, and he was still fairly young, so I mentored him in one of the long-shooting PPM's. The day he learned the PPM, his Long Shots dropped by three and his Finishing dropped by two ... the net effect was that he started taking even more long-range efforts, and spraying them high and wide of the mark.

I think this is a natural control mechanism, so you can't just load down every attacking player on your squad with PPM's that help him score ... but you can also spin the story, mentally, to make it seem logical:

Places Shots makes sense as an "expensive" PPM; I'm not surprised it lowered the striker's Finishing given how it works with CA. However, you can think of the lowered Finishing as representing the increased chance of him putting a shot wide of the net, because he's now always aiming towards those tough-to-hit corners.

. .

I always meant to test whether I could teach a player a negative PPM in order to increase his CA :D but I never got around to it.

There is no link to PPM's and CA something else must have caused the drop.

If ppms don't change stats then I think they should.

If I'm told to place my shots instead of just wacking them then I would hope that all that practicing of placing my shots would improve some of my stats.

Obviously not all ppms have a direct corolation to the stats and obviously it shouldNt be a straight +2 points to specific stats. But just like training can improve stats so could ppms

I may be way off the mark here - but when you go to the training screen under the part when the player is learning new skills/ positions it says a % of training is dedicated to this skill/position.

Now, my theory would be that if they arent dedicating 100% of their training to normal stuff, maybe while they are learning a new position or ppm their stats might drop because they arent spending enough time on them.

Just a thought.

They don't affect attributes but affect the way they play.

I've had Rooney tutor "Shoots from distance" to Welbeck whose Long Shots attribute was 8 at the time, which didn't hurt his Long Shots attribute but did hurt his shooting accuracy (quite a bit! Took him on loan and his shooting accuracy was close to 40%).

I have a preference to place shots, doesn't mean I'm a better finisher than someone who doesn't.

I understand that. But you would hope to be better at placing shots, because you liked to, due to the fact your always doing it.

I'm not suggesting you'd suddenly be brilliant but there MAY be a noticable difference.

Just like if you did more tactics training you MAY get better at that side of the game

I may be way off the mark here - but when you go to the training screen under the part when the player is learning new skills/ positions it says a % of training is dedicated to this skill/position.

Now, my theory would be that if they arent dedicating 100% of their training to normal stuff, maybe while they are learning a new position or ppm their stats might drop because they arent spending enough time on them.

Just a thought.

That makes sense

I understand that. But you would hope to be better at placing shots, because you liked to, due to the fact your always doing it.

I'm not suggesting you'd suddenly be brilliant but there MAY be a noticable difference.

Just like if you did more tactics training you MAY get better at that side of the game

Hmm. Sometimes in the ME, it mentions that a goal was typical of the player. Does that mean that without the PPM, they wouldn't have scored the goal?

I had something similar in FM 09 that I'd like to throw out there.

My centre back got sent off for elbowing someone in the face. I fined him and he said he would try to control his behaviour in future. But looking at his profile, I noticed that his aggression stat had gone down. Is this linked or just a coincidence?

I had something similar in FM 09 that I'd like to throw out there.

My centre back got sent off for elbowing someone in the face. I fined him and he said he would try to control his behaviour in future. But looking at his profile, I noticed that his aggression stat had gone down. Is this linked or just a coincidence?

That is linked. Happens to me also. I don't like reducing anyone's agression but if you don't fine them for a straight red then others complain about lack of discipline or something. So down aggression goes by a point. If the red was two yellows in one match then issuing a warning is fine and the aggression doesn't go down.

There is no link to PPM's and CA something else must have caused the drop.

Your statement does not match my personal observations.

This wasn't a one-off; I used the example which was the first time I had noticed it, but I became convinced of the link after observing it several times with other players. The clincher came when I had a player un-learn the PPM he'd recently learned, and saw the attributes rise.

I'm pretty attentive in my long-term games; I scroll through the training-graph of every player on my team, every attribute, regularly at one-month intervals. The link was 100% consistent.

I'm not saying that learning a PPM changes a player's CA - just that PPM's appear to factor into the "CA --> attributes" calculation in some way.

Maidel's theory doesn't fit my observations either; the drop would occur immediately upon completion of learning the PPM, and the attributes would not recover once the player was finished. (Under Maidel's training theory, I'd expect the attributes to have degraded gradually over the course of the six months or so it took to learn the PPM, and then to recover gradually over the following six months.)

Admittedly, I haven't verified this in FM'10 ..

.. but if you're convinced that what I've observed doesn't match the intended design, it might be worth pinging the engineer in charge of the player development model to ensure that code which does what I describe isn't in there! :)

Archived