[FM10] Freedom for Tooting & Mitcham!

dafuge

5100227.png

History

In 1932, Tooting Town (founded 1887) and Mitcham Wanderers (founded 1912) quite literally united to become the modern club representing the two areas. Their merger had been mooted for two years previously, but it was only after it became clear that the area couldn't host two competitive teams that anything happened to advance it. Originally playing in white shirts, in the fifties today's broad black and white stripes were adopted

The club has reached the FA Cup proper on 10 occasions, most recently in the 2009-10 season. It has also won the Isthmian League twice, in 1958 and 1960. Other honours include the Surrey Senior Cup and the London Senior Cup.

Dario Gradi, who spent more than twenty four years as manager of Crewe Alexandra, briefly played for the club in the 1960s.

Modern era

In the Isthmian League First Division, the club were managed by Richard Cadette, whose lengthy list of former clubs include Falkirk, Millwall and Brentford, amongst others. The team made up for lost time and played a very consistent first half of the 2005-06 season. Unfortunately, injuries and the loss of star player Gavin Grant to professional side Gillingham saw the team lose some of their cutting edge and start to falter. However, at the end of the 2005-06 season Cadette was sacked as the team once again failed to gain promotion following defeat in the playoff semi-finals to Tonbridge Angels.

Former player Billy Smith was appointed as manager for the start of the 2006-07 season, in which the club are playing in the resurrected Isthmian League Division One South, the 8th level of the English football pyramid. In April 2007, the club won the Surrey Senior Cup and London Senior Cup.

In May 2008, the club secured promotion to the Isthmian League Premier Division by defeating Cray Wanderers 1-0 at Imperial Fields.

In the 2009-10 season they have reached the first round of the F.A. Cup where they will play Stockport County.

(background information from Wikipedia)

Initial Manager Profile

Once again, a club was picked from the lowest playable league in England with the intention of creating a world giant. The initial aim was to win the PL and CL but I am hoping for a bit more than that afterwards.

This is a game I played as part of dafuge's FM10 challenge and was started with the 10.1 patch.

The club currently has a healthy sized squad (which I'll be looking to replace) but no staff. The finances are reasonable, with £30k in the bank and the stadium is a decent size at 8000.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Never heard of them, where they used by anybody last year ?

Will you only be posting season updates again ?

I don't think they have appeared in the challenge before, so it is nice to see a new team appear.

I'll probably stick to season reviews, but I'll post anything else that I think is significant enough in between.

Tooting & Mitcham United FC - Blue Square South - 2010/11

We were predicted by the media to finish rock bottom so I knew I had a lot of work to do.

League Table

League Positions Graph

We made a shaky start but hit form once we found our feet and got a settled team. We slumped in the middle of the season but pulled it back to make the playoffs, in fact if it wasn't for an equaliser in our last game we would have finished 2nd. The screenshot has cut it off but Forest Green had 10 points deducted, so they really walked this league.

FA Cup - we beat Blyth but then lost to lower league opposition.

FA Trophy - lower league Dartford came back to haunt me.

Transfers 1 Transfers 2 - so much action I couldn't fit it on one page. I looked to get rid of all the deadwood and replace them with young free transfers.

Squad - a young squad with good players but there are still weaknesses, particularly on the wings.

Key Player Profiles:

Aaron Goode - one of the few players from the original team that I kept.

Lewis Toshney - released by Celtic, I made him my captain.

Greg Rutherford - released by Hearts, he was my main striker.

Craig McShea - released by Rangers, he is probably the most talented player in my squad. He spent the season rotating between the wing and striker position.

James Keatings - released by Celtic, he was the creative force behind a lot of our goals.

Career Overview

Season    League                   Position    Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2010/11   Blue Square South        5th         playoffs - tba

Next Season

The playoffs are coming up next live, so I'll leave this bit for now. We face Braintree.

Playoff semi leg 2

I knew they would attack but I didn't expect this. Things were looking very comfortable and I was already thinking about the final, then Braintree hit back, twice. My goalie then scores an own goal in extra time and it looked all over, until David Williams popped up at the death to snatch an equaliser. My team scored all their penalties and Connor Fairley made up for his error by saving two of theirs.

Finally, the takeover has been completed. A French owner based in Beirut sounds very exotic but in reality it is far from exciting. He's considering replacing me and has made no investment at all, which is bad news since I have put the club £250k in debt in my first year in the hope that a new owner would clear the debt.

I don't think they have appeared in the challenge before, so it is nice to see a new team appear.

I'll probably stick to season reviews, but I'll post anything else that I think is significant enough in between.

They were in last years challenge although they have a rep under 1000 at the beginning.

Am trying to be someone different too, still holding out hope for Truro but this year the selection of promoted teams seems more restricted than normal which really sucks. If not Tonbridge Angels will probably get my vote, decent name and a 5000 stadium. Just gotta make sure I don't do bad seeing as how lucky I was last year.

Also Dafuge, is it now allowed to following the game in both the challenge thread and a thread here, as when I tried similar last year (challenge thread and career thread) you said it wasn't allowed. Have things changed in the time I had off?

Also Dafuge, is it now allowed to following the game in both the challenge thread and a thread here, as when I tried similar last year (challenge thread and career thread) you said it wasn't allowed. Have things changed in the time I had off?

You've always been able to post about your game in both forums, I've done it myself.

I don't remember saying that you couldn't do it :confused:

You've always been able to post about your game in both forums, I've done it myself.

I don't remember saying that you couldn't do it :confused:

I think he meant posting in the old career thread in CSE as well as the challenge thread.

It's good that we can now post here as well though otherwise reports can get swallowed up in some of the threads (especially yours - nearly 600 posts already! :eek:)

New season expectations?

What is you team quality compared with another teams?

I forgot to add it after playing the playoffs. I thought my team was going to be good enough, but then went out and strengthened it anyway.

My next season review should be up at some point during the next couple of days.

Tooting & Mitcham United FC - Blue Square Premier - 2011/12

Following the success in the BSS playoffs last season, it was going to be hard work to compete in the BSP without a lot of strengthening of the squad. With news of an impending takeover, I took the opportunity to stretch the finances in the hope a new owner would clear the debt. It backfired as the new ownership brought in no new financing excpet a loan to clear the debt.

League Table

League Positions Graph

It was one of the most frustrating seasons I've had on FM. We seemed great against the top clubs and dished out a couple of beatings here and there but we lost so many points against clubs at the bottom of the table. We had a nasty habit of taking the lead and then blowing it and drawing or losing. We made a late surge towards the playoffs but predictably blew it as soon as we got close with five games to go.

FA Cup - after a superb result against L1 Tranmere we came so close to knocking out Ipswich at home. The replay didn't go our way but it brought in around £200k which was badly needed.

FA Trophy - we had a good run which ended with an unlucky defeat to Dag & Red.

Transfers - just like last year, I was busy in the free transfer market and made every effort to bring in quality players, which didn't do our finances any good.

Squad - we have a decent squad with strength in nearly every area but there are still improvements to be made. As well as my strikers did, I really need a natural goalscorer who can lead the front line and score 30 goals a season.

Key Player Profiles:

Paris Cowan-Hall - released from Portsmouth, he made a great start to the season but then suffered a three week injury. He didn't seem to come back the same player and only started to regain his form towards the end of the season.

James Keatings - once again, he was superb from midfield and gave my strikers a run for their money in the goalscoring charts.

Robert Mak - he was always going to be my third choice striker so did well when called upon.

Michael Hall - a classy looking player who looks too good for this league, he didn't quite set the league alight but he played an important role.

Daniel Ayala - the goalscoring centre back, another player who looks too good for this league.

Career Overview

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2010/11   Blue Square South        5th         Promoted via playoffs
2011/12   Blue Square Premier      8th

Next Season

It was a huge disappointment to miss out on the playoffs this year, especially with some of the great football we were playing. I will be looking to improve the squad and possibly tweak our tactics in an attempt to make it next season.

Bad season, better luck to next.

If you invest more than you can pay your team can be punished in 10 or 20 points in a league, careful.

Leonine greetings

I don't think it was that bad, 8th place in a new league following a promotion is pretty good.

Finances are ok now, I've trimmed the squad this year and brought in a bit of money to clear the debt.

I don't think it was that bad, 8th place in a new league following a promotion is pretty good.

Finances are ok now, I've trimmed the squad this year and brought in a bit of money to clear the debt.

Ok 8th following a promotion isn't so bad, but you can do better...

Waiting for next season, hope you can win the league.

Waiting for next season, hope you can win the league.

I don't think that will happen :(

Barnet are on fire and I'm still throwing away silly matches just like last season. It is early but it is looking like I should make the playoffs this year.

edit: as I typed that we were 2-1 down at home, then came back to win 4-2, perhaps there is still a chance.

Tooting & Mitcham United FC - Blue Square Premier - 2012/13

After just missing out on the playoffs last season, this year was all about making a real push for promotion.

League Table

League Positions Graph

Barnet raced into a lead and we spent the entire season chasing them. In the penultimate game of the season we finally caught them to claim top spot with just one game left against bottom of the league Sutton, this is what happened.

Playoff semi leg 1 - we had an awful start but a late penalty gave us a decent scoreline going into the second leg.

Playoff semi leg 2 - an ugly game was settled with the Macclesfield keeper turning a cross into his own net.

Playoff final - for the first hour or so Shrewsbury were hammering us, we made a series of last ditch tackles and goal-line clearances in what looked like an attempt to hang on for extra time. Then, in the last ten minutes we started to have a few chances before Robert Mak broke through on the counter and slotted home the winner. Perhaps we didn't deserve it on the day, but we were certainly deserving in promotion to League 2.

FA Cup - we beat three teams from our own league then drew a huge side at home. Sadly there was no chance of us winning a replay.

FA Trophy - we bumbled our way to the final where we met title rivals Barnet, then lost on penalties.

Transfers - with the squad from last season there wasn't really a lot to do in the transfer market, although those two sales eased our finances.

Squad - a decent squad that is probably capable of competing in League 2, although I will be looking to strengthen it considerably.

Key Player Profiles:

Danijel Subotic - my second ex Pompey signing, he really made a difference to our strike force this season.

Paris Cowan-Hall - playing alongside an ex team-mate seemed to help Paris as he had a great season.

Robert Mak - the hero of the playoffs, he was our third choice striker but he had a great season.

Michael Hall - probably our best player, although I don't think he will play beyond League 2 should we get promoted again.

Craig McShea - not a great season but he played in the hole behind the two strikers, which is a position I will need to look at for next season.

Career Overview

2012/13   Blue Square Premier      2nd         promoted via playoffs, FA Trophy finalists

Next Season

Without a doubt, I will be busy in the transfer market. Promotion to the Football League means we should turn professional soon which should mean we are able to attract better players to the club, along with some more non playing staff. Next season is a bit of an unknown but I would settle for a mid table place.

Well Done dafuge! :thup:

You know I dont think I have ever seen a relagation in this forum... (Wait, lollujo's Bristol Rovers seems to be the only one..)

:D

You might see one here if this season doesn't improve, we started with four straight defeats :(

Well Done dafuge! :thup:

You know I dont think I have ever seen a relagation in this forum... (Wait, lollujo's Bristol Rovers seems to be the only one..)

:D

I didn't realise I was the only one! I'm sure I'll repeat my achievement at some point in my new save too..

Tooting & Mitcham United FC - Coca-Cola League 2 - 2013/14

With a strong season ending in a playoff win last year, we made our début in the Football League.

League Table

League Positions Graph

We had a dreadful start with three straight league defeats (four in all competitions) and had to wait until our fifth game of the season to record our first three points. Things were looking grim then for some unknown reason we went on an incredible run of wins, taking us near the top of the table. Our form dipped and we started sliding but we recovered to make the playoffs, which seemed highly unlikely early on in the season.

Playoff semi leg 1 - we faced the team that pipped us to the title last year and it was a thrilling first half. We scored two great goals to take a 2-0 lead, then threw it away with a series of defensive errors. Not the ideal result but we are still in this.

Playoff semi leg 2 - it was a master-class in counter attacking football as we twice caught them on the break to take a convincing win. We face Oldham at Wembley in the final, a team we have not beaten before.

Playoff final - a horrible way to lose. We took the lead from a corner, then got pegged back. Things went from bad to worse as we had a man sent off, but we then surprisingly too the lead. Holding on to the lead with ten men was too big a job for us as they scored with just a few minuted left. They then scored the winner in extra time.

FA Cup - a great result against L1 opposition following by a hammering.

Carling Cup - a less than impressive début.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy - another new competition for us and a great run. Annoyingly, I was convinced the semi was two legs, so held on to the draw only for it to go to penalties.

Transfers - the squad was strengthened with a bit more quality, but none of them really set the world alight.

Squad - we have good players in all positions now, it is just a case of strengthening.

Key Player Profiles:

Marko Mitrovic - a player I've wanted to sign for over a year now after he was released by Chelsea, scored a decent amount this year.

Craig McShea - once again he played the attacking midfielder role superbly.

Michael Hall - there's a lot of competition for his place now but he's still the best.

Serge Bordas - a new signing who has made an immediate impact, could be one for next season.

Jake Simpson - not quite as good as I was hoping but he contributed a lot.

Career Overview

2012/13   Blue Square Premier      2nd         Promoted via playoffs, FA Trophy finalists
2013/14   Coca-Cola League 2       6th         Lost in playoff final 

Next Season

We now know we are good enough for this league so all we need to do is look to bring in a couple of new players and do it all over again. Losing the playoff final is possibly the worst thing to take in the game, but we have to come back bigger and better next season.

Tooting & Mitcham United FC - Coca-Cola League 2 - 2014/15

The playoff final defeat last season was hard to take but we we destined to bounce back.

League Table

League Positions Graph

We had a slow start but once we caught up we were unstoppable. Without rotating the squad in the run in we could have easily made 100 points.

FA Cup - we were fine until we met quality opposition.

Carling Cup - we were pretty unlucky to lose to Leeds.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy - another decent run but another loss in the semis.

Transfers - the Irish clubs are financing us at the moment but we gave a bit back as we paid for our first ever player.

Squad - with a couple of additions this squad should be good enough for League 1.

Key Player Profiles:

Craig McShea - once again he had a great season for us, top scoring from the AMC position.

Michael Hall - another solid performance on the wing.

Danijel Subotic - the best goalscoring record at the club, shame he was injured for a bit of the season.

Lukman Hurana - without a doubt the best signing I've made, he was out of contract for over a year and finally decided to join us.

Borislav Baldzhiyski - Boris did a decent job on the wing.

Career Overview

2012/13   Blue Square Premier      2nd         Promoted via playoffs, FA Trophy finalists
2013/14   Coca-Cola League 2       6th         Lost in playoff final
2014/15   Coca-Cola League 2       1st         Promoted as champions

Next Season

I'm feeling pretty confident about next season, with the extra season in League 2 after the playoff loss I think we have assembled a decent squad. With a few key signings I think we could push for a playoff place.

Archived