The IQ Level of Keepers in FM 10

OK I dont know if I have just seen quite a few weird things y chance ir if this might be a problem. Keepers in this game are constantly making bonehead plays. Lots of time shtye will kick or throw the ball into the crowd or right to the other team for no apparent reason. In a few recent games I have seen 2 horrible gaffs by the keepers, one for me and one against. Both of which resulted in goals from a pass-back to the keeper from a defender that was totally botched and and easy goal. I know stuff happens sometimes like this but I have seen it too often in my first 20 or so games. Is everyone else seeing stupid stuff from the keepers?

Seen the opposition gk just stand there with the ball in his hand and my striker runs up and takes the ball out of his hands and scores.

Also had the gk just kick the ball of the pitch when it was a basic goal kick, and this happens in FML as well.

In fairness, I've also had a situation where the ball was headed out of the box from a corner, and then for fully five whole seconds both teams stood still doing nothing, despite some players being as close as 5 metres away, before two players (one from each team) standing on THE FAR POST both ran to try to pick it up, running past several closer players who were still entirely uninterested in the ball at all as they did so.

That said, that was a one-off. I've seen some stupid goalie moments a number of times.

ive seen it a few times already, where the keeper comes out to catch a cross and makes an absolute meal of it, dropping it right into the path of the opposing striker.....once, twice, even three times i would accept...but it has to have been close to 8-9 times now. The keeper by the way is pepe reina.

I think SI have made big leaps forward this year in getting a bit more personality into the keepers - yes, they make gaffes like never before in an FM... but so do real life keepers. How often is a keeper howler or misjudgement brought up in the media, how often do commentators say the keeper should've done better? Pretty much every game :D

• SI Staff

There are a fair few fixes to keepers in patch 10.1, in response to excellent feedback from here, from our testing team, and from the FML forums.....that includes the stuff mentioned in this thread :)

• SI Staff
I think SI have made big leaps forward this year in getting a bit more personality into the keepers - yes, they make gaffes like never before in an FM... but so do real life keepers. How often is a keeper howler or misjudgement brought up in the media, how often do commentators say the keeper should've done better? Pretty much every game :D

In response to this I should add that we wouldnt remove mistakes altogether, just tone down their frequency ;)

Personally it's been pretty spot on for me. A few mistakes, but they happen IRL too.

I had one incident though that was a bit too much.

Almunia gets ready to take a goalkick, he then decides to put it behind for a corner.

Good job Almunia, play it safe :)

Archived