Struggling to get a new job despite decent success

I managed Forest from the very start of the game and here is a brief summary of my time there:

1st Season - Got promoted via Play Offs

2nd Season - Spent 4m but still narrowly avoided relegation

3rd Season - Finished 7th, missing out on Play Offs by 1 point.

4th Season - Despite challenging for the title, my team just suddenly became poor and finished mid - table

5th Season - Despite trying new tactics, replacing existing players to try and change the formula, my teams form was the same. So I bit the bullet and resigned.

The thing is, I can only get jobs offered in the Scottish Second Division! Here I am, on a manager holiday, waiting for someone to offer me a job but to no avail - Iv waited a whole season and still no offer.

Despite spending that initial 4m at Forest, I got a very good squad together. Brought players for cheap and they went up into the million. Sodje of Wednesday I brought for 200k and he was worth 2m after all the goals he scored. All I needed was a little luck to qualify for the play offs in my second season.

So despite proving I can get promoted. Despite proving that I can not only keep a promoted team in a higher division (championship), not only that, but challenge for play offs for 2 seasons. Why wont a team like Bristol Rovers - a team struggling in League 2 offer me a job?

Why can I not get a job at all in the English Leagues?

Is this a bug?

No disrespect, but I would not consider that success at all, even if it seems like it to you. And believe me, I've been in similar situations where I thought I had done quite decent and kept asking myself similar questions, but the truth is, you need a lot more then that to find a club of the caliber you're looking for.

In some ways I agree with Riza. You haven't been entirely successful because you haven't won anything. It's teams that win leagues or cups that are remembered and rarely the team that wins the L1 play-offs.

On the other hand I think you have done well enough to be offered a job role at a L2 club.

It is possible the potential clubs are looking at the fact you have shown promise but failed to live up to it. The fact that you challenged for the Championship but trailed off to mid-table shows that you allow the pressure to get to your team. A strong and successful manager would be able to maintain a promotion push.

They may also look at the fact that you were managing a club with a huge reputation in Forest and spent £4m with no success to show for it.

I don't know how the game deals with job offers so I am just making suggestions. I'm also not trying to make a personal judgement of your success, because I feel you deserve the chance at a L2 club.

If I were you I would take the offer of a position at a Scottish L2 club. You will have a good opportunity to progress there and you can really up your reputation on a national scale. It may feel like a drop down but could end up being a good move.

Doing well in cups is often a very good way of upping your reputation (a factor that will be instrumental in obtaining jobs - and may even be why you have failed to land jobs like Bristol R). If you were to take a Scottish L2 club into a big tie with a Scottish Premier club and do well (highly possible) then you would gain some great reputation.

You know what they say. "Sometimes you need to take a couple of steps backward to move forwards".

Good luck.

i took a team from serie c2 to serie b (via two playoffs) yet after getting bored in serie b and looking around for another club i couldn't even get a job at a serie c2 team. as far as i can tell, the fact that both my promotions were via the playoffs means that, as far as the game's concerned, i've never actually achieved anything

to suggest that clubs are turning managers down because "you have shown promise but failed to live up to it" is to credit the manager reputation system with a lot more complexity than it actually possesses.

I remember at Toronto FC when I won the league and all the Competitions. I decided to go to England to find a job and only got offers from Plymouth, who was a mid-table Championship team at the time, and Carlisle, a L2 side in contention of promotion. I'm obviously took the Plymouth job, and after 3 years, I'm finally regained my Continental reputation.

Originally posted by Kill Rock Stars:

i took a team from serie c2 to serie b (via two playoffs) yet after getting bored in serie b and looking around for another club i couldn't even get a job at a serie c2 team. as far as i can tell, the fact that both my promotions were via the playoffs means that, as far as the game's concerned, i've never actually achieved anything

to suggest that clubs are turning managers down because "you have shown promise but failed to live up to it" is to credit the manager reputation system with a lot more complexity than it actually possesses.

The manager reputation system in FM could take into account any number of things.

Of course, as I have said, I don't know exactly how the game works which is why I have only posted my thoughts in my earlier post.

It may be worth reading Morridin's thread on the same page as this one. I haven't had a chance to read it in full but he's looking into manager reputation.

Originally posted by rancer890:

I remember at Toronto FC when I won the league and all the Competitions. I decided to go to England to find a job and only got offers from Plymouth, who was a mid-table Championship team at the time, and Carlisle, a L2 side in contention of promotion. I'm obviously took the Plymouth job, and after 3 years, I'm finally regained my Continental reputation.

Perfect example Rancer. A couple of steps back to move forward.

Though saying that I'm not sure the level of the MLS is much higher than the English Championship. Still a valid point though. icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by anagain:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rancer890:

Perfect example Rancer. A couple of steps back to move forward.

Though saying that I'm not sure the level of the MLS is much higher than the English Championship. Still a valid point though. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I actually think that the Plymouth job was better than the TFC job. icon_biggrin.gif

The MLS has a $2 million+ salary cap, while I had a $17 million wage budget at Plymouth. But I was a lot more financially healthy at TFC, making $7-10 million/yr. Of course, Inter, who was my merchandising parent club, paid my club $4.16 million per year, which helps. icon_biggrin.gif

I've lost money at Plymouth since I became their manager. I only made my first profit last month, my first in 3 years! icon_smile.gif

But I also remember in that game Preki (Real Salt Lake manager) got the Villa job, despite being last place overall. That's like 5 steps back, 10 steps forward. Go figure icon_confused.gif

Originally posted by rancer890:

But I also remember in that game Preki (Real Salt Lake manager) got the Villa job, despite being last place overall. That's like 5 steps back, 10 steps forward. Go figure icon_confused.gif

I always try to remember what Greavsie used to say:

"Football's a funny old game Saint."

Originally posted by anagain:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rancer890:

I always try to remember what Greavsie used to say:

"Football's a funny old game Saint." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, I made a good decision, Villa finished one spot from relegation and he got sacked. I think he got replaced by another MLS manager (Yallop?) icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by nelsonmcjones:

Anyone know how long it normally takes to get a job?

They significantly altered the whole job hiring system. Now, each reputation seems to be about half as powerful as it used to be, and nationality apparently plays a big role as well.

So, if you try going to the same clubs you could get prior to 8.0.2, you'll never get a job. If you start aiming for the low of the low leagues, it won't take any longer than it used to.

For example, I used to be able to start with the lowest possible reputation, and with US nationality. With that, I could get any Conference North/South job I wanted. But now, with the same manager, the Conf. North/South is out of reach. I've already gone two years of unhesitant rejection from Conf. North/South clubs. However, applying to the South African second league yielded results, as well as the Swedish Div. 2.

This also goes for the original post. You'll need to do better in order to get the jobs your after. Or simply aim for lower clubs.

Here's my theory:

Like board confidence, only the immediate past is taken into account when it comes to your rep.

IE, you can win the treble 10 years running, but if you fail to win something in your 11th year you can be fired because the AI chairman only cares about THIS season's achievements.

If I'm right, then perhaps ALL chairmen look at you this way. You've been fired having not achieved what you were supposed to. Ergo, you are not an attractive option. Even quitting may make you look like, well, a quitter, ie, not loyal.

So the only way to get a better job is to apply for one while you are still employed.

Thoughts on this?

Originally posted by backpackant:

Here's my theory:

Like board confidence, only the immediate past is taken into account when it comes to your rep.

IE, you can win the treble 10 years running, but if you fail to win something in your 11th year you can be fired because the AI chairman only cares about THIS season's achievements.

If I'm right, then perhaps ALL chairmen look at you this way. You've been fired having not achieved what you were supposed to. Ergo, you are not an attractive option. Even quitting may make you look like, well, a quitter, ie, not loyal.

So the only way to get a better job is to apply for one while you are still employed.

Thoughts on this?

Well, I usually resign and still get good jobs (like the ones earlier in the thread) or another club offers their vacant managerial position to me (Fenerbahce, Ajax, FC Dallas). Of course, I had a lot of success (winning leagues + promotion) to get these job offers.

Well, I usually resign and still get good jobs (like the ones earlier in the thread) or another club offers their vacant managerial position to me (Fenerbahce, Ajax, FC Dallas). Of course, I had a lot of success (winning leagues + promotion) to get these job offers.

I've struggled a couple of times, and I know a lot of people on here have. Perhaps I've got impatient too quickly, thinking winning the league once in 3 years and a couple of cups will get me to a better club. I games where I've had a LOT of success I'm constantly offered jobs, including internationals.

I guess it's down to the scale of the acheivements too.

Originally posted by backpackant:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Well, I usually resign and still get good jobs (like the ones earlier in the thread) or another club offers their vacant managerial position to me (Fenerbahce, Ajax, FC Dallas). Of course, I had a lot of success (winning leagues + promotion) to get these job offers.

I've struggled a couple of times, and I know a lot of people on here have. Perhaps I've got impatient too quickly, thinking winning the league once in 3 years and a couple of cups will get me to a better club. I games where I've had a LOT of success I'm constantly offered jobs, including internationals.

I guess it's down to the scale of the acheivements too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My achievements are pretty average actually (all my major achievements occurred when I was at TFC): win MLS, MLS Cup, Superliga 2 times, I never got promoted to the Premiership with Plymouth, Club World Championship 3rd place 2 times, I made the semis in the FA + English Cup. I just resigned from Plymouth (who are probably going to be promoted) to take the PSV job. I'm currently in 3rd place, behind FC Groningen and RBC. I have a big game against FC Groningen in my next match.

I usually don't think about winning the league, then leaving for a better club. I am ambitious, but I won't leave until the right team comes with the right offer (I took the PSV job because of my familiarity with the Dutch League).

Maybe my MLS achievements, high-scoring tactic, and Cup wins were enough to get the PSV job?

Well the only team willing to offer me a job were Barnet and I duly took it. The team didnt have too many players and I had to buy to sell.

Managed to bring in a few players including a seasoned player I had for me at Forest. Got them playing pretty decent and although quite low in the table, it was a 'false position' due to us drawing a lot of games.

Unfortunately, I didnt realise when buying two influential central midfielders that they wouldnt join the club until January! In my haste to get them I neglected to spot this critical fact! (second time iv done this now). Consequently we got a load of draws and had those players arrived sooner we would have been higher.

But I was just sick to the back teeth of conceding late goals, losing games where I should have won...and most of all their disgusting brown kit. So I resigned and dont care if im managing Abroath! As long as they play in a decent kit hehe.

• 2 months later...

i am manager of celtic first season won league cup,the league,uefa cup and scottish cup and the super cup.second season won league cup,the league, champions league,scottish cup.i am world class manager now.i have been linked to the man utd and bayern jobs so applied and got rejected.also from arsenal,need a new challange but cant get another job any help please.

Have been with a successful Chelsea team for 6 years and possibly fancy a move to another Prem club. Is there a way of letting clubs know you would be interested in becoming manager if the position arose - or do I simply have keep a close eye on "jobs" and can only apply from there?

Originally posted by jbrowes:

Have been with a successful Chelsea team for 6 years and possibly fancy a move to another Prem club. Is there a way of letting clubs know you would be interested in becoming manager if the position arose - or do I simply have keep a close eye on "jobs" and can only apply from there?

If you go to job security it will give you a list of teams and how secure their manager is. If it reads insecure, very insecure or precarious, when you enter that teams squad profile it will give you the option to "declare interest" in that job (down in the bottom left corner). If you're lucky they'll think you're great and sack their manager immediately and offer you the job, most of the time they just release a statement saying they would be mad not to consider you but for now ... is in charge.

Originally posted by jbrowes:

Many thanks Nomis07. So simple yet I would have probably gone another 6 years oblivious of the info provided.

So I will try a team or two!

Beware though, if you use that it's via the public. Roman might sack you for the second declaration of interest already!

Archived