Free transfers??? Is it basically cheating??

Why is it so easy to stock pile your roster with good free transfers. I play FM08 and im about to finally make the switch to FM09 but i was getting a bit annoyed with how easy it was for me to get really good players so easily. I played with Roma and i was about 5 season in, i had won a champions league so i obviously players wanted to come to Rome but its like highway robbery that i was about to sign guys like Bojan, Lansbury, Mancienne, Drenthe, Marveaux for nothing. I basically never need to make a transfer offer again. If i had the roster that was given to me at the start and just free transferred, i would still win all the time.

My question is does is get a bit more realistic in FM09, I mean im definitely still gonna sign whoever I can but I just wish the other clubs wouldn't make it so easy for me to grab a star player. I mean Bojan, Lansbury, or Mancienne probably will never be offered on a free transfer in real life.

It's the power of the player now days after the Jean Marc Bosman ruling was put into place in 1995. Players are going to want to move to bigger clubs and if that means waiting until their contract runs out then that's what they'll do. I'm surprised at players like Bojan leaving though but were Barca unsuccessful on your save? If you was winning everything it's only natural for the best players to want to move to the successful clubs.

I only played 09 for several months but found that players whose contracts ran out still left for bigger clubs if their current club was under performing. Also, the lack of AI ambition is another factor as to why the free transfers are so easy to come by.

It is called the 'Bojan bug'. Young, potentially world-class, players are easily signed on free transfers. I thought it had been removed in the 9.3.0 patch, but maybe I was wrong.

He's talking about FM08.

The Bojan bug only existed on 9.0.2

Why is it so easy to stock pile your roster with good free transfers. I play FM08 and im about to finally make the switch to FM09 but i was getting a bit annoyed with how easy it was for me to get really good players so easily. I played with Roma and i was about 5 season in, i had won a champions league so i obviously players wanted to come to Rome but its like highway robbery that i was about to sign guys like Bojan, Lansbury, Mancienne, Drenthe, Marveaux for nothing. I basically never need to make a transfer offer again. If i had the roster that was given to me at the start and just free transferred, i would still win all the time.

My question is does is get a bit more realistic in FM09, I mean im definitely still gonna sign whoever I can but I just wish the other clubs wouldn't make it so easy for me to grab a star player. I mean Bojan, Lansbury, or Mancienne probably will never be offered on a free transfer in real life.

09 is much better than 08 for realistic transfers.

Suprised you're deciding now to go for 09 not long before FM10 is due out.

09 is much better than 08 for realistic transfers.

Suprised you're deciding now to go for 09 not long before FM10 is due out.

Yea i was thinking about waiting for FM10 but I've tried to find info on it and it seemed like its not very different from FM09. The only thing i read was that the 3-D was going to be better. That doesnt matter much to me....i'm considered watching the 2-D anyways. I've always enjoyed the strategy/management aspects more than Gameplay. Which is obviously a huge reason why this is my favorite type of game to play instead of FIFA. I always have rather played simulation strategy games, especially on the computer. My favorite game/s were always the Command and Conquer series.

FM10 will feature a new Match Analysis tool. You will have chance to see where you went wrong.

I dont know man.....it still sounds like a more fine tuned FM09 and not a drastically better game. I guess im kinda waiting for a game to come out thats definitely way better than the previous, kinda like how FM08 was way better than FM07. The true reason why i'm switching to FM09 is because of the Free Transfers and Im a Roma fan and im sick of seeing Jeremy Menez on a different team. And I want to see Mancini off the roster without me having to move him out.

I'va had a quick look through this thread and I can find no mention of Michael Owen.

He is still one of the best English strikers in the game and joined Man Utd at the beginning of the season ON A FREE.

If you were selecting an England team, you might conceivably put Rooney & Defoe ahead of him, (I would), and the likes of Crouch, Heskry and Cole are of a different style. Next up in my opinion is Owen.

So if we can assume that I have just demonstrated how highly he should be rated, then doesn't his free transfer, in real life suggest that if it happens in real life, how can it be classed as cheating if it happens in the game?

Archived