Lets say you play over 50 years, do tactics...

If you have a career with 1 club for over 50 years, will all the tactics you use get cracked? That would mean almost all possible tactics would be less than effective. Or do the tactics regenerate over time where they are no longer cracked?

I'm asking because I used a tactic for 2 years and then the 3rd year it wasn't so effective so I switched to another one... its been 2 years since then so does this mean I need to find yet another new tactic for my style/players? (I train every player to suit the style of my current tactic.)

Tactics never get 'cracked' by the AI - this is a common misconception. What happens is this: as you become more successful the match odds on you winning become shorter. As a result, opponents who expected to win in the past and played open, offensive football against you adjust their tactics to play a tighter more defensive game. Thus, if you don't evolve your tactics or bring in more creative players, you'll find it harder and harder to beak down opponents and create clear-cut chances.

In FM08 I adopted a 4-3-1-2 formation as I found that good wingers were harder to get than central mids and attacking mids. I found that after 3 or 4 seasons of success other teams mainly domestic teams in the same division started to copy my formation tactic.

I had similar on FM08.

Playing in N. Ireland I had a lack of wingers so was using a wingbacks formation which I had a lot of success with, especially against 442.

After 2/3 seasons in the top division one of the clubs found a good formation against me which gave me a lot of problems and the season after that every man & his dog were using that formation against me :mad:

Tactics never get 'cracked' by the AI - this is a common misconception. What happens is this: as you become more successful the match odds on you winning become shorter. As a result, opponents who expected to win in the past and played open, offensive football against you adjust their tactics to play a tighter more defensive game. Thus, if you don't evolve your tactics or bring in more creative players, you'll find it harder and harder to beak down opponents and create clear-cut chances.

Exactly this. :thup:

I used to have this misconception too, thinking that over time the AI figured out 'how to beat me' but in truth; as time went by, and as my reputation grew, they just became more cautious and went out of their way to set themselves up in order not to lose against me.

they will start to adjust your current tatics. so if you changed your tatics to go back to your original ones then they should work. i dont think the ai stores what tatics you have played and adjusts as soon as you use it. every 4 years or so i resort back to my tatics and start over from a base that i know that works. seems to be going okay for me :)

I've never had to change my formation. I've had to adapt my tactical settings and get better, more creative players but never had to change the shape of how I want to play. With Barcelona I never left the part and parcel 4-3-3 formation and with AC Milan I'm into my sixth season using the same 4-4-2 Diamond shape. All I change are the settings that I play with and look to increase the creative outlets in my team.

For me its quite the opposite.. :D - I find it even more exciting when all original players are retired.. :D

Exactly!! Thats why I just start with lower league clubs and then stick with them for few years (7-10 years) and let the today's RL players retire. after that it's just a matter of second to win the EPL, UCL etc because all the clubs will now look for newgens and I am the best man to find the perfect newgens. :D

Archived