Anyone ever done a centurion?

Have just done it with Altrincham in the BSP. P:46 W:46 D:0 L:0 F:113 A:12 GD:101 Pts:138

No cheating, no editors or pre-match save/reloads... just a well thought out approach to the game.

Take a look at my thread "FM09 Heathxxx Management Approach (Lower League Edition)" in the T&T Forum. Nothing spectacular tactically, as I build teams around the tactics I use rather than tactics around teams.

Wow that is amazing heathxxx. Are your players of better standard than those two leagues above :D
screenshot of league?

Am uploading some images to post for you, but you'll have to bear with me as I'm at home at the moment where my lovelly rural Spanish internet connection is only 40kbps at best... about as fast as a tortoise with four broken legs. :rolleyes:

It's fine when I'm out and about with my laptop and a 3G connection as I'll get a steady 3mbps in most places. My house is in a valley with no land-line and 3G is only way to get any internet. :( Fine for browsing basic stuff like the forums, but poop for uploading or downloading anything. I looked into a fixed satellite connection recently and the cheapest quote I got was €2500 for the kit and the installation, plus nearly €100 per month for only a 1mbps up/down connection usage limited to 500mb per month!! :eek:

Wow that is amazing heathxxx. Are your players of better standard than those two leagues above :D

They're maximum star ratings for the BSP apart from two players. Coaches suggest they are all League 1 or "Leading" League 2 calibre, therefore I have a squad that's much better than opponents I'll normally compete against in the BSP. Every single player was a free-transfer, plus two loanees from my parent club - Man Utd. Plenty of time & patience required at the start of the save with manual player searches I'm afraid ;)

Here's the squad with their star ratings, as a link rather than a screenshot for those who don't like "player naming" :)

Altrincham BSP Season 08/09 Squad & Assistant Manager Star Rating Reports

screenshot of league?

Here you go...

AltyBSPLeagueTable.png

BTW, there's no intentional "bragging" here. I'm obviously delighted how things have gone this season, but there's an approach to the game as a whole I take that's a lot more than just a specific tactic. Reasonable tactic + quality (& suitable) players + attention to detail = good chance of success!

Admittedly, this is without a doubt the best record I have acheived during any season, with any club and on any version of FM. Have also won the Conference League Cup, FA Trophy and was only knocked out of the FA Cup in the 4th Round 4-1 by the sheer gulf in quality of Arsenal.

As my squad is already rather good and I don't feel there's much of a quality jump between the BSP and League 2, I'm hoping I'll not need many additions during pre-season to make the squad able to get back-to-back promotions.

That is the only way to play Football Manager these days (your formula), unless you are going to spend a good few hours coming up with the ultimate tactic set (I wish wwfan would send me his:D)

I guess it is more realistic to have to invest in quality players to succeed. Still it is a real achievement not losing or drawing a match ALL season! + 12 conceded. Amazing really.

I do think it is seriously harder to get this sort of team (of massively higher quality) at higher levels. Hopefully your success will continue into the higher leagues with mediocre players and I then can nab your tactics.

I do think it is seriously harder to get this sort of team (of massively higher quality) at higher levels.

Most definately. Especially so with a smaller club, where it's not just the difference in the quality of the players, but the often very big difference in reputation.

Hopefully your success will continue into the higher leagues with mediocre players and I then can nab your tactics.

I'm hoping so to and think that it's fair to say getting up to the Championship should be acheiveable, from there though, the challenge gets that much harder.

I am a firm believer though that is is possible to "over-acheive" so long as you have the right players playing the right roles. IE: regardless of the player reputation or value, if they have attributes key to the position they play and the tactic, they should perform to an optimum.

Think of what Martin O'Neill has done with Aston Villa this season in the league. On paper compared to the "big 4" or other teams in the top half of the Premiership, you would not say they've got the highest reputation or necessarily calibre players. What he has done is ensure that he's got the best players he can get playing in their optimum roles and positions, thus defying expectations.

Again, you could say that this is a good example of a manager's "approach", rather than specifically the tactic or the players, though O'Neill is often regarded as a manager who excells at getting the best out of players and quite a tactician.

My Under-20s have had goal differences of over 120 for the past 4 years. Something like 140-170 goals scored depending on how much first-team action I give them.

I've scored 100+ goals but never got a goal difference of 100+.

Archived