Another "team from scratch" challenge

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just starting season 3.

finished season 2 in 4th place yet again. im finding it impossible to beat arseanl in my save and its doing my head in:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g151/barkers01/season2endof.jpg

did win the fa cup for the 2nd year on the bounce:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g151/barkers01/facupseason2.jpg

go knocked out in the 2nd knock out stage in the cl against ac milan after beating inter in the 1st round.

dean ashton finished with the euro golden boot with 30 prem goals in 36 starts. think he managed 41 in all comps so happy with that.

have got quite a few english players i might have to get rid of start of season 3 as they are unhappy at lack of games. s taylor, d jones, m elliot and s warnock are on the transfer list.looking for new striker as well as henry was a waste of money.

A couple of games into the season and it's going okay.

Sold Ian Walker (100k too!), my talisman defender Vermaelen...to Liverpool for 12m and Mickael Chretien, the board accepted a 25m bid from Tottenham. Rejected a few bids, Stancu for about 3.6 million or something, Alex Silva 8.7m from Tottenham (this was late on in the window, not many good players available and already sold my main CB). Loaned out Sakho, Prosperi, Agouda (all three to Le Mans for some reason...), Lebedev, Pryor and Uzoma. Sold a regen called Gary Hall to Wigan on a free (81 ca, 155 pa so he looks okay but would never break into the first team because of some weaknesses, so I thought I'd sell English talen to a team who may use him) with a 50% sell on clause. On another weird note...they signed Arshavin!

I failed to sign Micah Richards so I guess I won't get him after this season. Signed Petri Pasanen on a free and Cristian Zaccardo as a tutor. Since Chretien went for 25m by chairman that means I could spend 35m on a player. Since I already have cover for his departure I bought a striker. On the full 50k a week I signed Sergio Aguero for 33m. Vermaelen went for 12m so the player I bought up to that price was Matias Fernandez who was available for 11.5m. I already have quite a few CB's but I signed Drnytro Chygrynskyi from Shakhtar who was available for a bargain price, once wanting to leave for 4.4m icon_smile.gif. I don't think he'll be as good as Vermaelen but he's a big strong lad and good in the air so would probably be a good partner for Pasanen. My final signing wasn't as good value for money considering some lads have signed him for between 7-13m but I signed Michael Johnson for 18m which took me about 90k away from my budget (I don't typically bring players in during the January transfer window anyway).

So I now have quite a few English players in McCann, Taylor, Barnes, Nolan, Foster, Elliot, Johnson and David Jones. British talen in Scott Cuthbert and Barry Johnson (okay maybe not so talented, but versatile at least).

Man City signed Michael Dawson, Apam, Andres D'Alessandro, Van Der Vaart and Enyeama.

Liverpool got Pandev last season.

Man Utd purchased Hugo Lloris and Pablo Aimar.

To bolster last seasons big transfers Arsenal signed Maxi Rodriguez on a free from At Madrid.

Middlesbrough made a few good signings too including Le Taliec, Marcelo Grohe and Kristofer Haestad.

In addition to signing Chreiten Tottenham also signed Kuszzak for 1.5m, Suliey Muntari and Carlos Tevez (was unhappy, so sold for just 10.5m)

Man hope I get another big bid in for a player next tw wouldn't mind someone like veloso.

Anyway my run of 20 unbeaten in the league is still going after my tough fixtures against the big 4 in a row.

drew with arsenal 1-1

beat chelsea 5-1 away

beat liverpool 4-2 at home

and drew 0-0 with man utd away.

Season is very close between me, man utd and arsenal but liverpool are in 15th place lol and rafa got sacked.

Good signings Zellix you'll do well this season

Forgot to say Sakho has emerged as a quality first team player this season as well so i can clear out the rubbish deefenders I've bought like Zuiverloon, Saunier. Cattermole has been good at giving away goals this season so he'll be off too.

(wish i could edit posts)

After a day or two of not being able to play FM, I finally managed to sit for an hour today. I've just entered August and above 5-6 days away from my first match of the season. However, I have made all my signings and have only 3M or so left of my budget which I might use to bring in a tutor or something. Dont know if I'll get a chance to sit tomorrow so thought I'd post an update on my transfers. Here goes:

Transfers In

Gareth Bale (13M)

Dean Ashton (10M)

Domenico Criscito (7.25M)

Alex Teixeira (6.25M)

Didier Digard (4.3M)

Andrew Taylor (3.5M)

Lee Cattermole (3.4M)

Marvin Angulo (600K)

Jack Wilshere (475K)

Helder Barbosa (375K)

Distel Zola (250K)

Frederic Duplus (75K)

Cala (12K)

Nordin Amrabat (Free)

And about 6 regens for some compensation. Also, some of the above signings were made in season 1 itself but they arrived in season 2. IIRC, everybody below Cattermole was signed in season 1 itself but arrived now. I had some cash left over after Jan, so thought why not?!

Transfers Out

Onyekachi Apam (15M + 50% sell on - Barcelona)

David Jones (7.5M + 50% sell on - Aston Villa)

Georginio Wijnaldum (Loan)

Alexandr Prudnikov (Loan)

Danny Simpson (Loan)

Francesco Bolzoni (Loan)

Abdou Razack Traore (Loan)

Mamadou Sakho (Loan)

Toni Kross (Loan)

Younousse Sankhare (Loan)

and a bunch of regens released on a free transfer.

Tutors

Paolo Maldini (130K)

Victor (35K)

Pavel Nedved (Free)

Cafu (Free)

First Team Squad

GK - Joe Hart , Ben Foster

LB - Gareth Bale , Eduardo

RB - Miranda , Marvin Angulo

CB - Federico Fazio , Habib Bellaid

CB - Domenicio Criscito , Didier Digard , Miranda

DM - Alberto Zapater , Didier Digard

CM - Michael Johnson , Steven Defour

LM - Marcelo , Helder Barbosa , Alex Teixeira

RM - Giles Barnes , Lubos Kalouda , Alex Teixeira

ST - Amauri , Alex Teixeira

ST - Tomasso Rocchi , Dean Ashton

I went a bit mad with some of the transfers this year tbh. But happy with the squad now. I was thinking about maybe drafting some of the younger players like Prudnikov, Wijnaldum etc into the first team but then looking at their stats, I though that one season of regular, first team football will do them a world of good rather than just playing a few games with me. Hence, I decided to send them out. They're at a stage where their stats could suddenly explode and they could be on their way to becoming "world-class". When they come back next season, they should be good enough to play first-team football. After these guys get back from loan, I'll be sending people like Cattermole, Taylor, Barbosa etc on loan to get them some experience as well. Let see how it goes. I've only got 5 English players in the first-team squad at the moment but hope to add some more next year. Andrew Taylor will come into the first team squad for Eduardo (who I'll probably sell). And maybe even Cattermole if he does well and gets his stats up still more.

Hope to get some time tomorrow to get my season under-way. icon14.gif

Is Bale allowed?

If so maybe still within rules, after a good 2nd season Title, FA Cup against Liverpool, League Cup against MU but lost ECC Final to Real Madrid.

If not I will have to restart.

Star performers the Taylors and Barnes and yth Wijnaldum, Sakho, Lulinha getting a run out.

Thanks Ant.

Anybody seen any good English regens? I haven't really seen much potentially world class English talent. Although their is a regen MC at Man City with 180 PA.

The two squads are looking decent now.

GK: Ben Foster, Stuart Taylor, Alfonso Blanco, Eros Carradini

Defenders: Chygrynskyi, Cuthbert, Pasanen, Zaccardo, Elliot, Silva, Felipe, Miranda, Lebedev, Sakho, Prosperi, Taiwo, Marcelo, Sakho, Angulo and Kaebi

MC's/DM's: Michael Johnson, Digard, McCann, Uzoma, Zapater, Jones

MC's/AM's: Nolan, Kalouda, Barnes, Robson, Farfan, Rafaelov, Fernandez, Mihhelic, Piatti, Pryor, Defour, Riquelme, Aguero, Wijnaldum, Skjelbred

ST: Augero, Amauri, Crisaldo, Diogo, Stancu, Agouda and Saivet

That's got pretty much every half decent player at the club. I think maybe next season I will just sign one English player unless their is a very good deal on the market.

Season 2

Transfer In

Emiliano Viviano from Brescia – free

Antonio Adán from R.Madrid – free

Steven Thicot from Nantes – free

Ronald Zuber from Marseille - £3.2M

Mark Noble from West Ham – £3.1M

Lucas Trecarichi from Sevilla - £190K

Jose Baxter from Everton – free

James Vaughan from Everton - £12M

Dean Ashton from West Ham – £12.25M

Theo Walcott from Arsenal - £2.9M

Anton Ferdinand from West Ham - £13M

Fabio from Man Utd - £3.1M

Rafael from Man Utd - £2M

Fabrice Muamba from B'ham - £4.8

Transfer Out

Ryan Taylor to NUFC - £15M

Olaxandr Gladkyi to Getafe - Loan

Logan Bailly to Ipswich - Loan

Lucas Biglia to NUFC £14.5M

Phil Cilufya to Stockport - Loan

Loyd Tonge to B'ham - P/Ex

Graham Wales to Grimsby - Loan

Tudors

Pavel Nedved - Free

Alessandro Del Piero - £475K

Rivaldo - £7K

First Team Squad

GK: Ben Foster, Oscar Ustari, Logan Bailly

DL: Marcelo, Fabio

DR: Jonathan Spector, Ronald Zubar

DC: Federico Fazio, Thomas Vermaelen, Anton Ferdinand, Miranda, Mamadou Sakho

DM: Alberto Zapater, Fabrice Muamba

CM: Mark Noble, David Jones

AM: Juan Román Riquelme, Alex

LM: Jefferson Farfán, Andrey Arsahvin

RM: Santi Cazorla, Giles Barnes, Theo Walcott

SC: Dean Ashton, James Vaughan, Henri Saivet

English Premier League: 1st - 90 points

FA CUP: Winners - 3-1 vs Man City

Champions League: Qtr Final 3-4 Porto

League Cup: Qtr Final - 4-4(1-3 in Penalty) vs West Ham

Top Golscorer: Jefferson Farfán 44 goals

Most Assists: Juan Román Riquelme 33 Assists

Spector

The rules are for season 2 and beyond that as well. Just follow the same ones. I was thinking of adding some more things here and there as we get a little deeper into the game but have had no time to think about it tbh. So just stick to the rules so far and I'll come up with something for season 4.

Since you're one of the first few to reach the 3rd season, please give me some feedback on how the rules work at that time. Do they make it easier or tougher. If you think it's getting a little easy or if you can come up with any suggestions/comments, just put them on here or email at ze_incredible_hulk@hotmail.com . I'll come up with a few restrictions that'll make it a challenge once again for season 3 itself. Thanx mate. icon_smile.gif

knap and sherica-

Ofcourse Bale is allowed. He's just another player. However, he is NOT counted as an English player. I bought him for 13M because I sold Apam for 15M and according to Rule ©:

© If you sell a current player for a particular amount, then you are allowed to buy another player for the same amount or less as long as his age is within the limits of Rule 4 and Rule 5 above.

theincrediblehulk

opps! thought he was counted as a English player. cleared my doubt as well. thanks!

By the way, I have finished my 2nd season as well. cant believe how you guys managed to win the league in the first season. cant even do it during the 2nd season! okay time for summary~

FA and League Cup

i was again knocked out of the League Cup and FA Cup during the early stages for 2nd season by Man Utd and Chelsea respectively icon_mad.gif

Champions League

reached the semi final for CL and got knocked out by Lyon which went on to become the winner. pretty good run judging from my standard.

The League

Arsenal was the runaway leader for the league basically with Adebayor and co scoring for fun. so it leave the race for 2nd place very tight involving Me, Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool. the race was right until the wire with me clinching the final automatic CL spot. YAY! icon_biggrin.gif

League Table

3rd Season Squad

Squad

Bellaid

where should i improve? i was thinking about the DR position but my bid of 30mil for Richard keep getting rejected! Bellaid have developed nicely...so the next DR i buy should be of CL standard. no time for developing talents anymore! suggestions are welcomed! i still have 30mil to spend because i dint buy anyone yet~

have just been able to put out an all england starting 11 in a frindly match with PSG. Won 4-0 as well ha ha.

Team Was:

Foster

R Taylor N Onahua Curtis Davies Baines

M Johnson M Noble

T Walcott G Barnes A Young

D Ashton

Also 2 youngsters i signed, delafousca (sp) from villa could now be the next leas ferdinand and adrien a portuguese youngster from lisbon could be the next deco.

Ouch at least you know who not to buy now tho

Mid way through the season my team have:

Played--19

Won-----15

Draws---4

Defeats-0

4 points ahead of Man Utd having played a game more.

Have agreed a deal for Adriano to join at the end of the season for 10m. So all is going well.

Hulk did you say we cant sign dos santos on a free because I stupidly have never had him before.

I feel sorry for next les ferdinand lol

Why not have the computer make a backup of your save game every x amount of days/weeks/months? It's really useful because my save already got corrupted once in this challenge. I'm using my old computer atm for FM and it crashed whilst saving.

Lol mate Les Ferdinand was a legend. I want the new Gary Liniker or the new Alan Shearer. The new George Best or Pele would be nice too icon_razz.gif.

I remember him being a good player nothing more and for that miss while he was at QPR.

But yeah the new pele would be amazing but I badly want the new Zidane, Ronaldo or Roberto Carlos. Ronaldo and Zidane were the greatest player to grace the earth between the 96-2005 by a long way and Carlos is my favourite defender ever....

How do you make the comp make a backup?

As you can tell im not that good with pc's.

Sorry for the double:

antfm08

Dos Santos - its best to NOT get him. I'm not going to make it a part of my rules because if people do want him, then its their wish. But everyone knows that even he has a lowish PA, he'll still turn out into a good player which makes the whole challenge a little pointless.

But if you want, buy him.

Originally posted by theincrediblehulk:

Sorry for the double:

antfm08

Dos Santos - its best to NOT get him. I'm not going to make it a part of my rules because if people do want him, then its their wish. But everyone knows that even he has a lowish PA, he'll still turn out into a good player which makes the whole challenge a little pointless.

But if you want, buy him.

damn! I got Dos Santos on free tranfers... Well maybe i can just loan him icon_biggrin.gif

The greasy mexican asked for 80k a week anyway lol and he aint getting that. I think I've got enough quality in his position anyway.

Still not lost after 20 league games

Just beat newcastle in league cup semi's

I dont need players really...

Hey guys,

Downloaded this so will start it up later.

Just wondering if I could ask for a few recommendations:

1) Which leagues and 'load all players from' nations did you all pick. Obviously this will improve the regens (I think) so is an important factor.

2) I never normally bother with staff and training etc but with the heavy dependance on youth players this could be an important area. Which staff are suggested by everyone? I read some people managed to cover 7-star training with your staff easily so who is best?

Cheers

Tomaldinho

1. Depends on how fast and powerful your computer is tbh. But as a rule, I always load all players from Argentina and Brazil as they always seem to come up with exceptional talent. Would suggest you load all the major leagues as well - Spain, Italy, France, Germany and Holland. If you have a very high-end computer, then load everything. You should be getting quality regens that way.

2. Just go and do a search mate as most of the staff have random stats in the game. But a few that you could look to get:

- Franco Tancredi (7* GK coach and is great with youngsters. Also, is a free agent)

- Ricardo Moniz (a 7* coach in some area or the other usually.)

- Stefano Rapetti (usually a 7* fitness coach.)

- Franco Baldini (7* in some area or the other and also a free agent.)

- Gianni Nanni, Andreu and Nicolas Zarur are 3 quality physios.

- Rudi Wojtowicz, Steve Rowley and Daniel Rolland are 3 good scouts. Wait until about mid-way through August and you should be able to lure Wolfgang Dremmler and Egon Coordes as well and both are quality.

Update:

Its the 1st of March (still in season 1)

Prem: Lying 2nd, three points behind Arsenal with a game in hand. They have a goal difference 23 better than mine so its really a 4 point deficit. Still only 2 defeats but I still have Man u and Arsenal away

League Cup: Won. Beat man U 3:0 in the final

FA Cup: Lost in 4th round 1:2 to Spurs (Berbatov offside goal in the 93rd minute - cheers SI)

CL: Second Leg of 1st ko round to come in four days versus Milan (drew 0:0 away so i am hopeful here)

Players: Shorey is immense. Dean Ashton is starting to play, which is good as Fletcher is going through a bad spell at the mo. Of the first team squad, only Valera at 6.78 is under 7 so far.

Trying to unsettle Riquelme so I can buy next season.

Great challenge this

Season update

Still unbeaten in league after 31 games

Lost Carling Cup final to Chelsea

Qualified for final of Fa Cup

Semi Finals of Champions League

12 point lead at top of the table

Should be able to get a few of Man Utd's players cheap now they are in debt lol. Enquired for Rooney and they want 35m so should be able to get them down to 20m

Guest DisapppointEdZz

I have downloaded the database but i am unable to run it. It is My Documents>Sports Interactive>Football Manager 2008>db right?

Originally posted by DisapppointEdZz:

I have downloaded the database but i am unable to run it. It is My Documents>Sports Interactive>Football Manager 2008>db right?

My Documents>Sports Interactive>Football Manager 2008>db>London Utd

Guest DisapppointEdZz
Originally posted by Spector:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DisapppointEdZz:

My Documents>Sports Interactive>Football Manager 2008>db>London Utd </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah i did that. But it still doesn't work. This sucks.

Inside your folder their is an XML which will be called something like "London_Utd". Your folder should be named the same as the XML file. So if their is a space or an underscore then it needs that particular one.

I like the way Man Utd usually goes into admin or something icon_razz.gif. Don't think that'll be happening in real life though.

Do tutors come under the regulations for transfer fee and wages? It would appear not, so what is stopping people signing quality players and just bringing them off the bench every game?

1. Yes, the wages and transfer fee restrictions apply to tutors as well. The age limit doesnt though.

2. If people buy a player who they deem as "tutor" at the beginning but they've paid 5M or 10M for him, its pretty much obvious why they bought that player into the team anyway.

This is a challenge, not a legal binding document. I've tried to list most of the things but obviously, I cant cover everything. If people want to do what you suggest above, the why bother playing the game at all? If they want to go around finding loopholes in the rules, then thats their wish. I would find it quite sad if someone buys players for the above purpose and then come on here and boast about their side doing great.

Update - 1. September

Fixtures

N 3-5 vs Man Utd in Community Shield 3-1 in half!

H 1-0 vs Everton - League

A 3-1 vs Reading - League

H 2-0 vs Coventry - League

A 4-2 vs Sunderland - league

H 4-1 vs West Ham - League

A 2-0 vs Birmingham - League

CL group: Barcelona, Benfica, London, FC Kobenhavn

Transfer In:

Givano dos Santos - Free

Hugi Lioris - Free

Mads Laudrup - Free

Ignacio Camacho - 2.7M

Micah Richards - 38M

Thierry Henry 4M

Total 44.5M

Transfer Out

Alex - Free Transfer

Logan Bailly - 5M

Thomas Vermaelen - 10M

James Vaughan - loan

Mika Aaritalo - loan

Birkir Bjarnason - loan

Oier Olazabal - loan

Wijnaldum - Loan

Dayro Moreno - loan

Mads Laudrup - loan

dos Santos - loan

Zeefuik - loan

Gladkyi - loan

Ninis - loan

Ustari - loan

Lansbury - Loan

Total 15M

Originally posted by theincrediblehulk:

1. Yes, the wages and transfer fee restrictions apply to tutors as well. The age limit doesnt though.

2. If people buy a player who they deem as "tutor" at the beginning but they've paid 5M or 10M for him, its pretty much obvious why they bought that player into the team anyway.

This is a challenge, not a legal binding document. I've tried to list most of the things but obviously, I cant cover everything. If people want to do what you suggest above, the why bother playing the game at all? If they want to go around finding loopholes in the rules, then thats their wish. I would find it quite sad if someone buys players for the above purpose and then come on here and boast about their side doing great.

lol alright, keep your hair on mate, it's just something I thought of as I was reading the rules over. Obviously I wasn't planning on doing it as it seems a ridiculous way of cheating but it is quite an obvious way for people to get around the restrictions without breaking any 'official rules'.

Anyways will begin this once I've finished booking flights icon_mad.gif

Season update

Still unbeaten in league after 31 games

Lost Carling Cup final to Chelsea

Qualified for final of Fa Cup

Semi Finals of Champions League

12 point lead at top of the table

Should be able to get a few of Man Utd's players cheap now they are in debt lol. Enquired for Rooney and they want 35m so should be able to get them down to 20m

nice mate! icon14.gif mind posting your squad? that's some really good league and cup run. shame about the Carling Cup result though.

Rooney gotta be a amazing buy i reckon. good luck getting him.

I'll post my squad at the end of the season.

Season is going unbeleivably well tho icon_biggrin.gif

Lol I had to play Man utd and looked at their squad and under happiness it said 'Willing to leave to help clear some of the clubs debt' message on most of the loyal player (rooney, ferdinand, neville)

Building a team is far harder than I expected. After everyone's recommendations to sign Amauri I had a go but they want £15 million icon_mad.gif

Trying for Lucarelli now so should be able to get him as he is much older so will only last one or two seasons.

Anybody had any experience with Alex from Fenerbache? I can't decide between him and Riquelme for the AMC spot...

Soz for the double post. Just downloaded FMM for the first time and having a look around it. If worst comes to worst and I have to change some second nationalities how do I do this, I can't find an option for this (probably just me being blind). Cheers for any help.

Sorry if someones already said this but arent you supposed to spend no more than 10mil on players over 27 and no more than 7.5 on players under 22 (somthing like that)??

Only a few teams (including hulks) have spent mor ethan this on players

Correct me if im wrong

Sealed rooney deal for 26m icon_smile.gif

Won the prem with 6 games to go still unbeaten

BUT looks like im heading out of CL after losing to Inter 5-2 away. Inter played a Kimz tactic with Imbrahimovic scoring 4. F***ing game so bloody irritating

Archived