Another "team from scratch" challenge

Originally posted by theincrediblehulk:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So i can't buy Pato then? :/ Was looking forward to try this kid.. hehe

I think I need just 1-2 players for next season..

If Dos Santos got sold for 40M and Pato is available for 42M, then you can since you can spend 40M + 10M from Dos Santos being sold by your chairman.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm thinking of coming up with a list of players who I know are very common among people to buy. Thinking of banning all of them from being bought as I see a few people getting the likes of Dos Santos, Aguero etc. I really want people to get into this long term and not buy the same old players. Not sure about this though! icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok if you say it is okay then i will test Pato because i have never tried him before..

btw Hulk, why are you never online on msn? =)

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok if you say it is okay then i will test Pato because i have never tried him before..

btw Hulk, why are you never online on msn? =)

Whoops! I completely forgot about that! Actually, I only created that account when I created this challenge. But I always forget to log on there! I think I'll put a reminder for me to log on there whenever I go online! Logging on now! icon_smile.gif

Thanks Welshace

The problem was that I didnt have the patch

Got it sorted and ready to manage London Utd icon_cool.gif

Went through the rules and the thread just now (whew!!)

Started a little trial run; the rules make it a lot tougher

How to get amauri unsettled; I have tried but in vain and has anybody tried to get cavani?

Wish me luck!!! icon_smile.gif

Right I'm gonna give this challenge a bash. I'll be honest its late, i'm slightly tipsy and also a bit confused but i'll give it a go. Probably post my 1st season team sometime tomorrow when i've sorted it, so if I've made a mistake or two I'd be very happy if someone could point it out to me... thanks!

Soli

Its hard to unsettle Amauri mate. Right at the start of the game, you can get him for about 7-8M but if you wait a little, his price goes up. Just try to keep bidding on him I guess and see if he becomes unhappy at some point.

Fattg

You'll find the rules much easier once you get into the game mate. They are definitely confusing at first but once you get the gist of it, you'll be fine. Best to do a trial run and post your team on here just to see if you've got everything right. :)

I am going to start this but will be splitting time between this and my sign-up, so updates here may be slow. I just downloaded the database but will not be able to use FMM or Genie Scout as neither is compatible with WWSM, so hopefully I can build a good squad.

Spector

Yeah mate, still in season 1. Just havent been able to find any time to play the game. If I do, I can only play 1 game at most. Am in March so hoping to finish it soon though.

spartans5

Nice one mate. Doesnt really matter about Genie Scout or FMM. I've not really used either expect once to see if I can find a good regen. You should still be able to build a quality squad. :)

Due to my incredibly short attention span and plain idiocy at some points, i've managed to sign a 23 year old lol. Is it ok if i loan him out till then end of the season then sell him as no one seems to want to buy him straight away lol.

Damn, this thread sure has died!

Anyway, I was ill for the past 2-3 days and havent been able to go to work. So played a lot of FM and completed 3 full seasons and was in October is season 4. But infortunately, due to a bloody virus, I've had to delete everything and reinstall from scratch.

I'm going to take a break away from this for a little while and start a new game. Its really annoying having to start again because I'd managed to build an incredible team. I'd got some great deals on a few players and many of my youngsters were looking AWESOME. Most notably Wijnaldum, Angulo, Alex Teixeira, Prudnikov and Sakho. All of them were easily cracking my first-team squad. I also had Lansbury and Bernardo who were both easily good enough for first team action but I let them go on loan for a season. Not to mention, I got some great deals for players I sold. :(

But anyway, I'll get back to this again soon enough. Just dont have the heart to start a new one. Hows everyone else getting on in their games?

Awesome. When you're done with your current season can you put up your summary mate? Maybe in a little detail on who you've got out of your reserves/youths and is not taking big strides in your first-team? That is what I originally intended to do so will be great to see it happen. I'll keep checking back on this thread. I didnt do it because I thought it was completely dead.

And I'll definitely start up a new game hopefully by Tuesday or something. :thup:

• 2 weeks later...

Like I said I would, I've started a new game. I've just entered August and here my signings so far:

First-team Squad

(Those listed in italics are cover for that particular position)

GK - Manuel Neuer (6M) , Ben Foster (already at club)

LB - Arturo Vidal (6M) , Eduardo (1.1M)

RB - Jonathan Zebina (3.7M) , Steven Taylor

CB - Steven Taylor (13M) , Arturo Vidal

CB - Federico Fazio (3M) , Luizao (3M)

DM - Alberto Zapater (7M) , Stelvio (100K)

CM - Steven Defour (3.4M) , David Jones (free)

LM - Marcelo (5.5M) , Jefferson Farfan , Eduardo

RM - Jefferson Farfan (6M) , Giles Barnes (already at club)

ST - Amauri (7M)

ST - Michael Owen (11M) , Jefferson Farfan

Reserves/U-18 Squad

Alexandr Prudnikov (1.5M)

Younousse Sankhare (925K)

Marvin Angulo (900K)

John Fleck (600K)

Georginio Wijnaldum (600K)

Aquino (575K)

Henri Saivet (500K)

Diego Buonanotte (500K)

Mamadou Sakho (450K)

Luiz Alberto (300K) [Regen]

Fernando Bernay (140K) [Regen]

Preston Edwards (90K)

I'm pretty happy with the players I've got. Particularly pleased to have Michael Owen in the squad. Got lucky with him. I bought Taylor off Newcastle and Owen got annoyed at the sale. Keegan responded with "I'm not looking for any replacements" and Owen got even more mad and requested a transfer :)! I was looking around for a striker anyway and just couldnt decide who to get. I was about to bid for Andrew Johnson of Everton when the Owen thing happened. Extremely happy with it as I now have 2 quality strikers.

One thing I'm definitely not happy about is my RB. Zebina is not bad I suppose but I think I need some backup. Taylor can cover there but the problem is that he'll be my main CB and I cant afford to use him for any other position. I've already got Hoyte on the shortlist but looking around to see if I can find someone else as well.

Am also probably going to loan a GK from Arsenal to cover just in case Neuer happens to get injured. I'll keep him till near the end of the season when Foster comes back. Problem is, I'm also keen on taking Walcott on loan because I figure he can be very handy coming off the bench for me.

I've still got 14M left btw. Dont really need to use it but am very tempted to spend it on Carrick. He's costing me 11M but just am not very sure because (a) I've already for Defour for the CM spot, (b) I want to keep some money in hand just in case an interesting deal pops up in Jan. But Carrick is a good player and he's English too. Would add experience and solidity to my midfield along with Zapater.

So, anybody else still playing this?

Im about to start this, just want to finish up the current season in my Arsenal save. For a right back how about Gianni Zuiverloon? Im not sure how much he would cost but im pretty sure it would be under £5m perhaps.

Great pick up with Owen, however yout striker rotation could be a bit think perhaps, although bringing in Wlacott could help.

EDIT: Also before I start how do you reccomend to set up the game? I imagine I only need to run the one league (as I dont plan to get relegated :p) but what about database size and players from which countries?

Mark.

Zuiverloon - decent player but 2 reasons I wouldnt get him: (a) he's too attack minded and his concentration levels are too level for a defender; (b) he usually costs about 8M or so and is thus out of the price range.

Whenever I play any game, I load a few nations under circumstances: Spain, Italy, France, Portugal, Argentina, Brazil and Germany. And I always select a large database. It just means that I'll have more players available and also, this way there are more chances of players getting unhappy and getting transfer listed.

Hulk

Ah ok I see what you mean with Zuiverloon, never used him myself actually, How about Hoyte, how much do Arsenal ususally sell him for? Likewise for Eboue?. Ill post soon once I get the game underway how im going, not too long left in my Arsenal save.

Mark.

I was looking at Hoyte but I've played as Arsenal far too long to know that while he is a solid backup, I wouldnt have him as my first choice week-in-week-out. And he does take about a season to get him stats up which make him a decent backup as well. Eboue costs upwards of 10M and he's over-age for this challenge anyway.

If you want an English RB, try Wes Brown. He's pretty good and Man Utd are usually happy to let him leave for about 5M or so. I didnt buy him this time around because he didnt impress me a lot when I had him on my previous London Utd save. But yeah, decent price for a decent player and he provides backup at CB too.

Hulk

Ah stupid me in sugesting Eboue lol, dont know what I was thinking. Yeah I was looking at Wes Brown for a possible sigining when I start, never really liked the fella so that may stand in the way of me actually signing him or not.

Mark.

Yeah, I know what you mean about him. But he is a pretty good player tbh and does a solid job at RB. He'll be consistently getting 7's for you but when I had him very rarely did he get an 8. You might want to look at Zebina as well. He's been doing well for me in his first 5 games. :thup:

DiscoStu94

Good to see you on here mate. Dont get worried by the number of rules. Once you read them, they're pretty easy to remember as many of them are just inter-linked. There is a different set of rules for the first season and then for seasons thereafter. Read all of them but worry about remembering the first season rules for now. Once you start playing a little and get through the first transfer window, you'll pretty much remember them all. Then you can have a go at remembering the rest of them. Really, its not hard at all. :)

haza555

Lol. Yeah a few people have done that mate. So no worries. Atleast this way you've had a trial run and know some of the players you want. Try to remember this atleast for the first season - the challenge is made to try and ensure that people dont buy the same players they usually do. Guys like Menez, Fernandez, Aguero, Lloris etc are all just out of reach atleast in season 1. :)

Is it true you can edit the nationalities of non-EU'S that won't get a work permit? I had a little go at this last night, but I was so tired I broke a few rules and bought a few conference worthy players, so I'll try and do a proper one this time.

Ok here is my squad for the season, I've had a 3-1 win over Newcastle so far:

[E] means English

GK

Piet Velthuizen

Benoit Costil

Ben Foster [E]

WRB

Liam Rosenoir [E]

Marvin Elliot [E]

WLB

Stephen Warnock [E]

Guillame Rippert

CB

Federico Fazio

Thomas Vermaelen

Luizao

Didier Digard

DM

Alberto Zapater

Stelvio

CM

Steven Defour

David Jones [E]

Pablo Piatti

Diego Buonanotte

AMR

Giles Barnes [E]

Lubos Kalouda

AML

Marcelo

Urby Emanuelson

FC

Jefferson Farfan

Andre-Pierre Gignac

Also signed Sakho, Delle, Fleck, Saivet, Sankhare, Wijnaldum, Le Tallec, Mads Abaek, Aquino and Acapandie coming to a total of £71M.

I reached September, when my game crashed :mad:. I made so many signings :(. I don't have the heart to sign so many people again. I will leave this and when I get bored of my other save I'll return. I'm very upset. I was third in the league, could've got higher. Has the makings of a good challenge though Hulk.

Hmmm.. still seems to be no life on here.

Anyway, update on my game:

Just in October (dont get much time to play sadly) and am top of the league so far. Won all 8 games and am clear of 2nd placed Liverpool by 3 points. Havent play any of Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea or Man Utd yet though. All the teams have been fairly easy with Newcastle being the toughest I've faced. So tough times lie ahead.

Just about play game 2 of the CL group stages. I've drawn a hard group with Valencia, Sporting CP and Ajax.

Problem right now is that Neuer has been out for a little while with injury and I'm having to play a seriously under-developed Preston Edwards. The kid has done resonably well so far though. Neuer is back soon though. I'm without Neuer, Zapater (suspended), Kolarov (ineligible) and Farfan (only 83% fit) for the Valencia game so might struggle. Lets see.

Amauri, Owen and Farfan have been my best performers so far but the rest of the players have also chipped in with goals. Happy with the defence as well. Taylor and Fazio are forming a good partnership. I'm gonna need all my players fit when I go into the tougher games though. The second choice players seem to struggle when they're in a spot of bother.

I'm already planning for Jan. Might look to bring in someone on loan to help ease a little pressure on the first team players. Might buy someone depending on who's available. Will update again soon. :thup:

Haha nice performance for the young kid :thup:

BTW only got two more games in my Arsenal save, FA and CL final, so will deffinately be starting this tomorrow. Already have a massive shortlist written up on possible players so shouldnt have too much trouble there.

Was thinking that as I go I will use an excel spreadsheet to keep track of the bids I have made/how much I think a player will cost me so that I can see what my expenditure looks like. I will upload the template I go with for people to use to help out as well if you think its a good idea. Nothing special just a handy little tool as I can see myself quickly losing track of the bids I have made and how much I will be potentially spending.

EDIT: I know that with S.A. players under the age of 17 or whatever it is we are allowed to edit their age to get them to our team, what it the deal with players that are out on loan for other clubs that we have purchased but are not able to come till the next season?

Let me know your transfers when you get done mate.

As for the excel sheet, it would be a good idea but seeing as its only me and you on this thread at the moment, I really wouldnt bother. If there's more interest, I guess put it up then. :thup:

I never thought about the loaned out players tbh. But I'll say no, you cant edit to make them join you immediately. Sorry! :)

I'll post an update on my game soon. Its been slow going but I should getting over with the Jan transfer window soon and I'll post then.

Yeah im using the spreadsheet now, got a lot of work to do as im far from a full squad and well on 100m on my projected budget.

BTW who are some good tutors to bring in?

Hey Hulk im a bit unsure about the ruling on the percentage of next fee clause, im trying to bid for Bolzoni and ive offered them a generous 4m but they want a 45% next sale fee on it, an I allowed to do this as I am still far off the 7.5m barrier, or are percentage of next sale clauses a no no in all situations?

Good to see you've started Mark.

Tutors: its best to wait till season 2 imo. Just bring in players for your first team and all those who're 21 and above will be able to tutor. Atleast wait till Jan. In Jan/next season, you can bring in players like Maldini, Barbarez, Victor (Valladolid - quality tutor), Lehmann etc. I'll get more names for you. My mind is a little blank atm.

Next sale: No confusion here. Since you're bidding on Bolzoni (who's in the 22 and under category obviously), the maximum you can spend on him is 7.5M including sell on fee. So that means that since Inter want 4M for him + 45% sell on fee, the total potential value of that is 5.8M which is under the limit. So yes, you can buy him.

The sell on fee's value is calculated on the total fees you have to pay the team you're purchasing from. Say for eg a player is costing you 5M + 25% sell on fee. The value of the sell on fee will be calculated as 25% of 5M = 1.25M. Add that to 5M and you get 6.25M. So you can go ahead with this deal. On the other hand, if a team asks for 7M + 10% sell on fee for a player, then the total of that is 7.7M. In this case, you cannot go ahead with the transfer.

It sounds complicated but its not really. If you want the easier way, when a team negotiates an offer for a player, you will usually have at the bottom of the screen something like "the potential transfer value for this deal is so-and-so". If that value is more than the set limits, then you cant do the deal.

Hope that clears it up. :)

Edit: Btw, I'm online for a while now so if you have any more questions, fire away. I'll try to answer asap.

Ah awesome, yeah I thought thats what it meant, I just didnt want to go bidding on players if I was breaking the rules. Im having trouble getting a good first team GK, I cant get Schalke to budge on Neuer so might have to look elsewhere, any ideas? Also how did you get Amuari so cheap? I need a TM striker as I have Briand and Gignac currently.

I dont know about Amauri mate. Everybody seems to struggle getting him for cheap but I always sign him for that on my games for some reason. I've started the London Utd save about 3 times or so I think and every time I've got him for 6.75M or 7M. I bid for him on the first day itself though so maybe thats a reason?

You could try Iaquinta for TM. Quality player, gets a lot of goals but the only slight problem is that he's just moved to Juventus. However, I have on a previous occassion got him in the first transfer window itself regardless. It wasnt with London Utd but some other team and he came when I offered him key player status and almost double his salary. Else, Gregory Thil seems to be attracting praise from a lot of people so maybe try him? Not tried him myself though except for a very short period which really didnt tell me anything about him. Dean Ashton is another option although he'll cost you 11M atleast and sometimes even as much as 20M.

GK - Bring in Joe Hart. Costs about 7M, is good enough to start and becomes a part of the English contingent. All my previous London Utd saves, I bought him as my first choice and he always did well. I only bought Neuer this time because I noticed his value was so less. You could wait a little while for Neuer though. His value usually goes down about 2-3 weeks into the game. Up to you.

Oh ok, well I probably going to start again as I havent really thought out my transfers very well and have doubled up a bit in some positions that I realise I shouldnt have. I noticed Hart was valued at about 14m for his club, so any other ideas for GK?

How about Roy Makaay for one of my over 27 players, would he still perform for a season? EDIT: Or Liedson?

EDIT Again: Ok, ive had a £12m offer accepted for David Bentley (Hulk I know how you feel about him, and im the same, but I was thinking since this aint an Arsenal save it might be the one time I will tolerate his presence on my team) he would fill 1 of the English quota and I would probably not end up signing Marcelo in this case as I have Farfan coming in. Anyway is the deal worth it?

Hmm, another GK is hard to say mate. Benoit Costil is pretty good but maybe not ready for all games just yet. But he does develop quickly so even if he does cost you here and there, he'll start looking very good by next season I guess. Otherwise, your option is to get an English GK like Robert Green. Also, keep an eye on Montolivo at Fiorentina. If he gets sold in season 1 (happens sometimes), then Frey usually becomes unhappy and requests a transfer and is available for 4.5M or so. And that for him is a ridiculously cheap price. But this is down to pure luck tbh. Try Hart and Neuer again in your new save. Might get lucky this time.

Makaay I wouldnt bother with. Not much good tbh. Liedson is worth it I guess. He's quick and will usually bag you a goal. But will miss plenty as well due to low composure and that will make you wanna tear your hair out. Try Tomasso Rocchi as he's a quality striker as well. I bought him the first time I started this save and he was very, very consistent for me. A great tutor as well. Then there's also Salvador Cabans who's well worth a shout. Quite cheap as well. Kikin Fonseca as well.

Archived