[North America] (Official) League Specific Issues

Freddie Sands

• SI Staff

Please post any specific issues for North America competitions here. This is for any issue which does not relate to data and is for areas such as:

- Competition Rules (Club and International)
- Disciplinary Rules
- Transfer Rules

We would request you all to adhere to the following three point plan when posting in here:

- State what you think is specifically wrong in your league.
- State how you think it should be working.
- State reasons/proof for your corrections/improvements.

Please note that specific data issues for North America should be posted in the Database and Research Issues forum.

• SI Staff
7 hours ago, Fc2020 said:

When completing a season in Mexico players that won the league are not given the title recognition in there profiles. Managers and teams do but not the players. 

Thanks for spotting this, I've logged this for review internally.

I am managing Curacao, and have received a 'Must Respond' message on 29 June 2021 requesting I submit my squad numbers for the 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup. However when I go to the squad numbers page it says I am not in any competitions that require squad numbers, so I cannot continue in the game.

I think this might be caused by the qualifying rounds to the Gold Cup, which start later, on 2 July 2021. The draw for the Group Stage has taken place, but one of the members of my group is marked as 'Winner of Second Qualifying Round Game 1' and no fixtures for this group have appeared in the Curacao fixture list or the Gold Cup fixtures list. (Only the fixtures for Group A have appeared, because this group is complete, consisting of 3 automatic qualifiers and the guest nation, Qatar).

20201113011123_1.jpg

20201113011134_1.jpg

20201113012336_1.jpg

20201113012705_1.jpg

9 hours ago, thegrecians402 said:

I am managing Curacao, and have received a 'Must Respond' message on 29 June 2021 requesting I submit my squad numbers for the 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup. However when I go to the squad numbers page it says I am not in any competitions that require squad numbers, so I cannot continue in the game.

I think this might be caused by the qualifying rounds to the Gold Cup, which start later, on 2 July 2021. The draw for the Group Stage has taken place, but one of the members of my group is marked as 'Winner of Second Qualifying Round Game 1' and no fixtures for this group have appeared in the Curacao fixture list or the Gold Cup fixtures list. (Only the fixtures for Group A have appeared, because this group is complete, consisting of 3 automatic qualifiers and the guest nation, Qatar).

20201113011123_1.jpg

20201113011134_1.jpg

20201113012336_1.jpg

20201113012705_1.jpg

Could you upload a save game that shows this issue, please?

NA League 2020 Schedule

CONCACAF League 2020 should start in October instead of July (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_CONCACAF_League). Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, but because the Canadian Premier League Island Games is in the game, the Canadian Premier League representative is made to play CONCACAF League games during their 1 month long season. This causes significant fixture congestion, sometimes playing matches the day after another.

Uploaded Save: <fce.fixturecongestion.fm>

Edited by yellowsweatygorilla

2021 NA League
When you start the game in 2021 in Canada, FCE is set as qualified for the 2021 CONCACAF League even though history records clearly shows that Forge had won the 2020 Canadian Premier League (same problem as if you start the game in 2020 with FCE qualified despite Forge also winning the 2019 CanPL).

Uploaded save: <fce.fixturecongestion.fm>

North American Champion's League Qualification
The Canadian teams are in a unique situation since technically Canadian Premier League teams can qualify for the NACL through two pathways: winning the Canadian Championship and being the top 6 teams in the North American League.

If a team achieves both, currently, the game handles it by granting the extra NACL slot to a random NAL losing quarter finalist. In the uploaded save, the 7th ranked time would've been W Connection by virtue of acquiring 5 points from the 1st round + quarter finals relative to Plaza Amador (the seventh team that ended up qualifying) with 4 points.

---

But that aside, technically there is no NAL berth in the NACL, the berths remain with the countries (https://www.concacafchampionsleague.com/en/article/sccl-how-clubs-qualify). In other words, if the scenario of the same Canadian team qualifying both through the Canadian Championship and the NAL to the NACL, there will still be two Canadian berths in the NACL. The 'extra' berth doesn't just go to other teams in the NAL. Here's where it gets tricky, it is in the rule books that the Canadian Soccer Association can dictate who occupies the Canadian berths but the CSA has yet to make this decision public. Here's some educated guesses on who should occupy the CAN2 (lower seeded Canadian) berth in the NACL:

a) The Canadian Championship by virtue of including the Canadian MLS clubs is considered the premier football competition in the country despite being the FA Cup. Thus, one option would be to give the extra slot to the runner-up in the Canadian Championship.
b) Since it would be the Canadian Premier League champion that had originally gone through the NAL to qualify for the NACL, that CAN2 berth should be occupied by the CanPL runner-up. But keep in mind that it should be the runner-up from two years ago, instead of the previous year. Since, for example, qualification for the 2022 NACL happens through the 2021 NAL tournament, while qualification for the 2021 NAL tournament happens through the 2020 Canadian Premier League. So, if Forge, the 2020 CanPL champions, wins the 2021 Canadian Championship and qualifies through the 2021 NAL, the extra 2022 NACL berth should go to 2020 CanPL runner-up: HFX Wanderers.

For simplicity sakes and being the likelier outcome, I'd go with option A.

Uploaded save: <ccl.1can.fm>

19 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

NA League 2020 Schedule

CONCACAF League 2020 should start in October instead of July (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_CONCACAF_League). Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, but because the Canadian Premier League Island Games is in the game, the Canadian Premier League representative is made to play CONCACAF League games during their 1 month long season. This causes significant fixture congestion, sometimes playing matches the day after another.

Uploaded Save: <fce.fixturecongestion.fm>

Thanks for the report. This one is on our radar already.

18 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

2021 NA League
When you start the game in 2021 in Canada, FCE is set as qualified for the 2021 CONCACAF League even though history records clearly shows that Forge had won the 2020 Canadian Premier League (same problem as if you start the game in 2020 with FCE qualified despite Forge also winning the 2019 CanPL).

Uploaded save: <fce.fixturecongestion.fm>

We're on top of this one too, thanks for reporting nonetheless.

19 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

North American Champion's League Qualification
The Canadian teams are in a unique situation since technically Canadian Premier League teams can qualify for the NACL through two pathways: winning the Canadian Championship and being the top 6 teams in the North American League.

If a team achieves both, currently, the game handles it by granting the extra NACL slot to a random NAL losing quarter finalist. In the uploaded save, the 7th ranked time would've been W Connection by virtue of acquiring 5 points from the 1st round + quarter finals relative to Plaza Amador (the seventh team that ended up qualifying) with 4 points.

---

But that aside, technically there is no NAL berth in the NACL, the berths remain with the countries (https://www.concacafchampionsleague.com/en/article/sccl-how-clubs-qualify). In other words, if the scenario of the same Canadian team qualifying both through the Canadian Championship and the NAL to the NACL, there will still be two Canadian berths in the NACL. The 'extra' berth doesn't just go to other teams in the NAL. Here's where it gets tricky, it is in the rule books that the Canadian Soccer Association can dictate who occupies the Canadian berths but the CSA has yet to make this decision public. Here's some educated guesses on who should occupy the CAN2 (lower seeded Canadian) berth in the NACL:

a) The Canadian Championship by virtue of including the Canadian MLS clubs is considered the premier football competition in the country despite being the FA Cup. Thus, one option would be to give the extra slot to the runner-up in the Canadian Championship.
b) Since it would be the Canadian Premier League champion that had originally gone through the NAL to qualify for the NACL, that CAN2 berth should be occupied by the CanPL runner-up. But keep in mind that it should be the runner-up from two years ago, instead of the previous year. Since, for example, qualification for the 2022 NACL happens through the 2021 NAL tournament, while qualification for the 2021 NAL tournament happens through the 2020 Canadian Premier League. So, if Forge, the 2020 CanPL champions, wins the 2021 Canadian Championship and qualifies through the 2021 NAL, the extra 2022 NACL berth should go to 2020 CanPL runner-up: HFX Wanderers.

For simplicity sakes and being the likelier outcome, I'd go with option A.

Uploaded save: <fce.2021.fm>

Tremendous bit of research there, thanks for posting. I'll get something logged on this now.

Incorrect North American League Qualified Teams for NA Champion's League

I don't know why I didn't notice it until now but the 5th and 6th North American League spots that qualify for NACL aren't being correctly chosen.  FM20 used a table to calculate the 5th and 6th team (as per real life) and it worked fine, but the table seems to be missing in FM21. For example, in the save I uploaded, while Motagua and Olimpia should qualify as 5th and 6th, by virtue of both having 7 points from the first round and quarter finals. But instead, Olimpia and Municipal qualify. Municipal only had six points in the past four games. 

My guess is that the game is factoring the Preliminary round results, but the official rules do not count Preliminary round as that would mean those teams have two more games than teams starting in the First Round. In the save, Municipal have 10 points if you factor in the Preliminary Round, versus Olimpia and Motagua stuck with 7 as they entered the tournament after the Preliminary Round.

An alternative to ensuring preliminary isn't factored in, is to use the current pandemic format, where determination of the 5th and 6th spot for the NACL happens with a play-in round between the four teams that lose in quarter finals.

Hope this makes sense:

upload: <fce.2021.fmf>

On 20/11/2020 at 16:31, Dodis said:

The NACL doesn't appear to save to a club's history when winning it. I played as FC Cincinnati, winning the competition in 2022, and it doesn't show as a trophy in the Club History tab. 

Same issues Dodis. Such a shame especially as in my saves the MLS become great.

• SI Staff
1 hour ago, jessejesster said:

Club History tab needs to reward MLS teams with NACL trophies please! Same issue with my FM20 save.

Do you have a save just before this occurs? If so could you please provide it by uploading it to the SI Cloud Server using the instructions attached below? Thank you very much.

Summary:

1. Save Unable to Load

2. NACL not awarding MLS sides trophies

Description of Issue:

The NACL or North American Champions League doesn't show as a trophy in the Club History tab for MLS winners. 

Steps to Reproduce:

MLS>TEAMS>LAFC>Club History/Achievements = (you can see that LAFC have won the Supporters Shield and despite winning the NACL in 2021 they are not granted the trophy. Yet they were clear winners as can be seen on the NACL page. 

Files Uploaded to the OwnCloud: NACLMLSissue.fm

Just now, jessejesster said:

Summary:

1. Save Unable to Load

Description of Issue:

The NACL or North American Champions League doesn't show as a trophy in the Club History tab for MLS winners. 

Steps to Reproduce:

MLS>TEAMS>LAFC>Club History/Achievements = (you can see that LAFC have won the Supporters Shield and despite winning the NACL in 2021 they are not granted the trophy. Yet they were clear winners as can be seen on the NACL page. 

@Sebastian Szlenkier

• SI Staff
On 27/11/2020 at 20:49, jessejesster said:

Summary:

1. Save Unable to Load

Description of Issue:

Steps to Reproduce:

Do you have a save just before an MLS team wins the trophy? Thanks. If not, we will try to reproduce this internally as we need to be able to reproduce this to see why it's not being added at the correct time.

1. NACL not awarding MLS sides trophies under team overview.

Description of Issue:

Steps to Reproduce:

Files Uploaded to the OwnCloud: 1GametillMLSTeamWinsNACL (v02).fm

@Sebastian Szlenkier

I've already started my forever save and this is still happening so I'm bummed but posting this hoping future MLS fans won't have the same issue. 

Hi,

Would it be possible to get a CONCACAF Olympic qualifier in the game in early 2021?  Currently the game doesn't have one until the 2024 Olympics and just defaults to taking the US/Mexico for the 2021 Olympics.  There is a qualifying tournament that was supposed to be played in March but was suspended.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_CONCACAF_Men's_Olympic_Qualifying_Championship

On 04/12/2020 at 03:46, jessejesster said:

1. NACL not awarding MLS sides trophies under team overview.

Description of Issue:

Steps to Reproduce:

Files Uploaded to the OwnCloud: 1GametillMLSTeamWinsNACL (v02).fm

@Sebastian Szlenkier

I've already started my forever save and this is still happening so I'm bummed but posting this hoping future MLS fans won't have the same issue. 

@Mars_Blackmon

• SI Staff
13 hours ago, jessejesster said:

Ohh wow, so it's not licensed for the MLS teams to win the US Open Cup (which is American teams only) and the Leagues Cup? It was possible in FM20. Can you elaborate on this...

Thanks so much @Sebastian Szlenkier

Ah sorry, this was just in relation to the North American Champions League. Will look into the US Open Cup, thank you very much.

8 hours ago, Sebastian Szlenkier said:

Ah sorry, this was just in relation to the North American Champions League. Will look into the US Open Cup, thank you very much.

OK, that makes sense if its just the NACL but the Leagues Cup and Us Lamar Hunt Open Cup don't make as much sense. Would love to have that show up for MLS teams in a long MLS save. It does show up for MLS players on their profiles which is nice @Sebastian Szlenkier

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • SI Staff
On 16/01/2021 at 18:49, shevigol said:

When winning the CONCACAF CL, this achievement is not counted as a honor in clubs history. Also no trophy is shown for this on the clubs history page.

Is this with an MLS team? I believe there is a licensing reason for not having non-MLS competitions appear on this screen for these teams.

• 3 weeks later...

Only clubs from Dominican Republic, Haiti, Jamaica, Trinidad and Puerto Rico seem to be able to qualify to the North American League in the FM2021. IRL, for a given year, one club from any Caribbean nations may qualify from times to times to the North American League. See Robinhood from Suriname in 2019 Concacaf League https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_CONCACAF_League

• SI Staff
On 07/02/2021 at 23:55, jeje20031 said:

Only clubs from Dominican Republic, Haiti, Jamaica, Trinidad and Puerto Rico seem to be able to qualify to the North American League in the FM2021. IRL, for a given year, one club from any Caribbean nations may qualify from times to times to the North American League. See Robinhood from Suriname in 2019 Concacaf League https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_CONCACAF_League

Hi, this one is known and under review internally - thanks for raising.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...