Trying To Build A Juventus Galactico Era But Struggling In Champions League

Hi Everyone

Currently playing as Juventus and we are in season 2. Im trying to build an Italian "Galactico" era to the club of playing football with reckless abandon, signing the best players I possibly can for mega fees rather than looking for youth, playing entertaining matches, scoring goals and winning games and all the domestic trophies so.

Our basic set up looks like this, and its a successful set up domestically against the top teams like Napoli, Inter and AC Milan etc.

However, our first season in the Champions League was questionable. After going easily through the group stage and round of 16, we blew a 1st leg lead vs Real Madrid with a heavy, unexpected 4-0 defeat at Bernabeu.

795559351_ScreenShot2020-08-16at00_49_54.thumb.png.a5b9ec4e2243d7f5f1880dc2ce5c9d49.png

Can you suggest tweaks that would make this tactic more effective in the Champions League?

My philosophy would be:

• I want to outscore the opposition. I dont necessarily mind being leaky with the goal of posing the most threat possible. However, I am too vulnerable to the direct ball.
  • I want to defend through a combination of energetic pressing and then retaining possession for long spells as a way of nullifying the opposition.
  • I want to see FLAIR with players attempting dribbles, tricks and outrageous powerful long shots.

Would there be any tweaks that could stay true to the philosophy of Keegan-esque entertainment but winning the Champions League?

Thank You

I find your tactic kinda... strange?
So, you have a 4-3-3, that is ok, your front 3 is in attack, so they all are attacking, you have CR7 playing as a playmaker, also strange, and have loads of TI that just kill your attack and expose your defense.
You are using both DF and LoE ultra high in the pitch, that means your team is pushing way up the top, leaving acres of space behind the defense, and you don't have anyone protecting your CBs, because of your mentality, both of your FB must be way up the pitch, a regista is not usually the role that defends well, and everyone is probably out of position because of the press, so imagine that a well organized team can do to your defense, that virtually have 2 player that are actual active trying to defend, and I almost forgot to add that you are asking them to press like madmans, so this leave even more space for them to operate, I think that your mentality is ok with you don't care to concede one time or another, just be careful with teams that are the same level as yours.

If this was my tactic, I would change one of the front 3 roles to support, probably ronaldo, then I would change a bit of the In possession TI, as I think that a possession football don't need that many instructions asking them to slow play and change the out of possession.

As you said, that this tactic is working in your league, that is good, but you need to remember that you are risking a lot playing this same way against the big guns in europe, you are exposing yourself a lot.

3 hours ago, masno said:

I find your tactic kinda... strange?
So, you have a 4-3-3, that is ok, your front 3 is in attack, so they all are attacking, you have CR7 playing as a playmaker, also strange, and have loads of TI that just kill your attack and expose your defense.
You are using both DF and LoE ultra high in the pitch, that means your team is pushing way up the top, leaving acres of space behind the defense, and you don't have anyone protecting your CBs, because of your mentality, both of your FB must be way up the pitch, a regista is not usually the role that defends well, and everyone is probably out of position because of the press, so imagine that a well organized team can do to your defense, that virtually have 2 player that are actual active trying to defend, and I almost forgot to add that you are asking them to press like madmans, so this leave even more space for them to operate, I think that your mentality is ok with you don't care to concede one time or another, just be careful with teams that are the same level as yours.

If this was my tactic, I would change one of the front 3 roles to support, probably ronaldo, then I would change a bit of the In possession TI, as I think that a possession football don't need that many instructions asking them to slow play and change the out of possession.

As you said, that this tactic is working in your league, that is good, but you need to remember that you are risking a lot playing this same way against the big guns in europe, you are exposing yourself a lot.

I agree that the use of the Trequartista looks odd for CR7.

The reason i have given him this role is, although the "role" doesnt suit him, the behaviour does. He comes deep which gives room for Douglas and Salah to run beyond, and his long shooting ability is absolutely lethal. So he is absolutely perfect for being available for a cutback or in space for a shot from the edge of the box.

So although on an "attack" role, he isnt pushed up against the opposition defence too much. He also has low work rate, so drifts around nicely with clever movement.

The centreback protection is the two central midfielders, who are workaholics.

Thats why i have them pushed so high up. They both have unbelieveable amounts of work rate and stamina, and will hunt the ball with determination. Depending on the opponent, i can drop Verratti or pjanic into Regista role and use Bentancur and Matuidi together if i need maximum energy, or play Verratti and Pjanic together for extra creativity.

having the lines pushed up gives the space to the Regista to create. The Regista seems an overpowered role.

Id NORMALLY tell people not to defend with such aggressive lines, but it really works domestically even against quality domestic opposition, but the champions league can spring some surprise results on us

You can get away with "aggressive systems" at Home(This version if FM makes me rethink this) & in a league where you are predicted "1st" & teams mostly likely always sit against you.

But even with "balanced" tactics you can get absolutely mauled, much less, aggressive ones.

You create tactics yourself so I'm sure you don't want me telling you that your front three is isolated & even with a regista + BBM, lateral or Vertical runs are missing(at least, early vertical runs). De ligt is also slow, so expecting the long balls over the top & in "isolation" tactics, it's wise to maximize the use of width.

What I'm saying is, you can keep this system, & have a second one that is conservative enough for UCL.

It's pretty obvious why you're getting mauled in the Champions League. When teams aren't just camping in their half and bring out their Wing Backs like City, Liverpool, Barca etc. will, you'll get destroyed on the wings with players like Salah and Costa in AMR/L roles on Attack. That's pretty simple. 

Edited by MrChampionsLeague

19 hours ago, MrChampionsLeague said:

It's pretty obvious why you're getting mauled in the Champions League. When teams aren't just camping in their half and bring out their Wing Backs like City, Liverpool, Barca etc. will, you'll get destroyed on the wings with players like Salah and Costa in AMR/L roles on Attack. That's pretty simple. 

To be fair, im more about the entertainment though

I guess what im looking for is, a good set up to gung ho my way to the champions league.

I dont want clean sheets, i want to thrill with high scoring wins like 3-2 and 4-3, ans my squad to be galacticos. I dont want youngsters with potential, only stars

You have Ronaldo leading your press.. who’s (35?) years old and IIRC has really poor workrate. There’s going to be loads of gaps in the pressure, allowing the other team time to hit balls over the top.

it also hurts me to see Ronaldo as a trequartista. Are you sure you know what this role is about? He’s going to roam about and move away from the goal - where he is most effective. I’d personally use Ronaldo as a poacher, to make sure he’s always in the box for headers and shots. But seeing as you have Salah as well, maybe you could do with a little bit of roaming and use Ronaldo as a CFa. You also have Pjanic, who’s a better playmaker.

i also think you’ve got your approach play wrong. Ronaldo and Salah are going to be making loads of runs into the box, but your players are just going to take no risk and play the shortest possible pass. I’d go more direct and hit early crosses. I’d also make Costa a more supporting player, so that he provides for Salah and Ronaldo with his excellent crossing.

lastly, I’m not a fan of the regista in a 4123. I feel like a DLPd drops Deeper and can be that much needed outlet while having more time and space to pick out the right pass.

A lot of people are focusing on the complete lack of thought towards defending, but I'll provide another option for you which seems more in line with your thinking.

You could drop the LOE a notch, keep the much higher D line but start the press a little bit further down the pitch. This'll make your team more compact and will leave your team at least a little bit closer together so there's not as much playable space. It might even help with your passing a bit.