Struggling in the New Season For Some Reason...

Finished 4th in the PL last year, but only made 1 or 2 first team signings for the new season. Played 11 games in the new PL season and cannot score more than one goal. Some of the chances we've been missing have been shocking, too. I've played matches in the Champions League and Carabao Cup and have no problems scoring there, but just can't get more than one in the PL. 

Is it just me or is something screwing me over?  

20 minutes ago, deaks500 said:

Without knowing what your club expectations were for last season or this, it could be that other teams are treating you as more of a threat this season and adapting tactics accordingly to be more compact ?

That thought occurred to me. We were expected to qualify for Europe (top 7) last season, and this season we're expected to qualify for top 4. However, we've been a consistently strong PL side for a few seasons so I don't know why the sudden change. 

7 minutes ago, Jimmious7 said:

@MrBannystar did you change your formation? Are you having morale issues within the team? 

Formation was the same as last season. We had no problems scoring last season, and it seems as if my team gives up after one goal. Morale seems OK. We grinded out a few 1-0 wins, and I always make sure to praise the team to raise morale, but it seems like they're not playing with as much confidence this season. 

2 minutes ago, MrBannystar said:

Formation was the same as last season. We had no problems scoring last season, and it seems as if my team gives up after one goal. Morale seems OK. We grinded out a few 1-0 wins, and I always make sure to praise the team to raise morale, but it seems like they're not playing with as much confidence this season. 

I mentioned morale because I have noticed that one or two disgruntled players can really make a team suffer in the current version. It snowballs badly and fast. And morale is a huge factor in FM20, again according to my observations

1 minute ago, Jimmious7 said:

I mentioned morale because I have noticed that one or two disgruntled players can really make a team suffer in the current version. It snowballs badly and fast. And morale is a huge factor in FM20, again according to my observations

Yup, I've noticed that too. It's much easier for morale to plummet, but a lot harder to get it back to normal.

I changed tactics and moved some players around, and all of a sudden we win 3-2 away. That seems to have fixed the scoring issue, but now I notice they're responding a lot better to team talks too. Before a match, I'd say "Pick up where you left off" and there'd be no response, but now they're all looking more motivated since we managed more than 1 goal. It's been a strange season so far....

This is why I love this version so much. It constantly throws curve balls at you and it’s a challenge to try to make them as little of a calamity as possible. It’s great you’ve changed something. The game tells you when you need to (dodgy form, lack of goals etc).

2 hours ago, MrBannystar said:

Finished 4th in the PL last year, but only made 1 or 2 first team signings for the new season. Played 11 games in the new PL season and cannot score more than one goal. Some of the chances we've been missing have been shocking, too. I've played matches in the Champions League and Carabao Cup and have no problems scoring there, but just can't get more than one in the PL. 

Is it just me or is something screwing me over?  

Well... No, it's not you. It's a feat. :brock::D

For what it takes... last year we were an almost good team, ended 3rd in Bundesliga (expected 10th) and won the german cup. This year we are a very good team, we are 8th (february), same tactics, just a few better players (expected 5th). Oh, atmosphere: Very good to Excellent, manager support: Very good.

I surrender, it's a feat. :onmehead:No way to program your future, before or later you have to resign, that's how FM 'evolved'. Better find some fun with it.

P.S.: Don't worry about your tactics, if you nailed it the previous year it's evidently working. It's something else that's taking place (the Hand of God). :ackter:

Edited by Tetsuro P12

Additionally, the other 3 teams who finished in the top 4 last season (Man Utd. Chelsea and Man City) also all had slow starts to the season. Man Utd and Chelsea are mid-table and I find it a HUGE coincidence that my lot too are now struggling. Something is definitely fishy about this.....

8 hours ago, MrBannystar said:

Additionally, the other 3 teams who finished in the top 4 last season (Man Utd. Chelsea and Man City) also all had slow starts to the season. Man Utd and Chelsea are mid-table and I find it a HUGE coincidence that my lot too are now struggling. Something is definitely fishy about this.....

The league has woken up to dealing with the big boys? Does seem strange, but then some seasons football IS strange. Leicester winning the league for instance. Unbelievable. 

I assume you overachieved last year? If so, then teams are just treating you with more respect. Being more defensive and looking to keep it tight. This means you have to create more space on your own, which can be harder. Contrast this to being a team everyone thought they can beat or have a chance to get a result from. There teams will be more progressive and so give you more space. 

If you want a real world comparison, Leicester is perfect. They won the league as underdogs because teams did not take them seriously until it was too late. They assumed that they could win, and Leicester's form would drop off eventually. This allowed Leicester to play their counter attacking style and punish sides with it. You can also factor it takes time to work out what a side is doing and plan accordingly. The season after they were flirting with relegation for a while. Teams now were much more compact against them. This forced Leicester to play a more attacking style, and this left them with holes that could be exploited by other sides. They struggled to break sides down, and were carved open while trying to do so. Sure there were mitigating factors such as loss of key players, but that cannot explain everything. 

So I would suggest thinking how you can evolve your tactic into something that can drag teams around, create space, and put players into the space to exploit it. It is not an easy thing to do, but I would hazard this is the solution to your problem. You also note that you did not buy many players, so it could be that the players you have are simply not that good at breaking a defence down. Often a top class player can create a goal from nothing to open the scoring. If you lack a player like this, it becomes more difficult to break down a stubborn side. 

On 31/01/2020 at 15:33, MrBannystar said:

That thought occurred to me. We were expected to qualify for Europe (top 7) last season, and this season we're expected to qualify for top 4. However, we've been a consistently strong PL side for a few seasons so I don't know why the sudden change. 

This could very well be your issue. If you keep praising them you're just going to cause massive complacency. Especially if you see that they stop bothering after 1-0 it would suggest to me that your players think that it's good enough and they stop caring.

That combined with the fact that your media prediction jumped up by three places suggesting a jump in your reputation and thus teams playing more defensively means it's no surprise you're struggling to score multiple goals.

Don't just endlessly praise your players and think that as long as morale is high everything is good. Tell em off if you think their performance wasn't good enough. Heck, if you're on longer winning streaks tell them off even if you think their performance was ok. Just because your team talk gives you all green reactions doesn't automatically mean it's the right choice, nor does getting some red reactions automatically mean you gave a bad team talk. Personally I almost never praise my players, outside of really good rival or European win. Any other situation gets a "don't be get complacent" if it's a solid win and scrappy or even 2 goal lead wins regularly get a "not good enough" talk from me. Some players might not like it, but you can't just keep pampering your players.

You can have a look at your AssMans pre match analysis in the match analysis to see if he comments about some players feeling complacent.