Love this kind of save and i always start unemployed and no badges. What kind of save are you aiming for? For example, are you wanting to do an RPG/journeyman style save where you go in level 1 in this instance, and aim to become the best in the world hopping from club to club to improve yourself? Or stick with current club and become all dominating with them?
Some tips you could use -
- Do your coaching badges as and when you can/allowed to, its dependent on club finances weather the board will let you so ask when you have a bit of money in the bank
- Dont employ uncesesary staff, if you dont have an under 23 team, no need to have a u23 manager or coach
- If you are club hopping, dont bother with youth at these low levels, intake will be poor and there not going to develop into anything worth selling
- In fact , forget about selling players , non existant down at these levels, no ones got or paying any money for players
- Loaning players is going to be your bread and butter at this level, try to get a senior affiliate club to loan them from at no cost
- Transfer fees are non existant at this level , frees & loans are your primary source of player recruitment
- Take players out of contract on a trial (2-3 weeks) before you sign them, in fact offering trials is a quicker and better way to scout players than actually scouting them , saves you money.
- Some players at this level don't require a weekly wage but maybe and appreance/ goal bonus, these bonuses are taken into account in your wage budget so dont ignore them and over spend on the bonuses.
- i find that players with good physicals are more useful than technicals at this level.
- Get yourself a big target man and route one football (thats a preference btw but i had sucess in wales with a 442 route one)
- In wales specifically , TNS are dominant and its hard to catch them competitivly, but if you get into Europe (euro 2 competition) then there is money to be had there so prehaps make that a target initially rather than get disheartened with trying to compete with TNS from the start.
There are probably more and better educated people with better advice but these are a few things to consider when starting this way, i hope you enjoy it and stick with the save, its very rewarding when you see your manager profile and reputation grow.