low possession

hello, it's simple as that - my team can't keep ball possession and build up from the back. In most cases it looks like this: 1. gk->cd->dm->winger->dribble and lose the ball 2. gk->cd->dm->dribble and make inaccurate pass (lose the ball) 3. gk ->cd -> get closed down by the opposition -> pass back to gk and he shots the ball forward or passes to another cd and he shots the ball forward and we lose the ball.

my tactics: (tried to keep it pretty simple, maybe that's the reason why my world class team sucks dick?) Most of the games my possession is between 50% - 55% I have a lot of useless shots from distance despite "work ball into box" and "shot less often" player instruction for my front three

20191218144014_1.jpg

20191218144026_1.jpg

The problem is that your tactic - especially instructions - looks like you want to have possession for the sake of possession: much shorter passing, PoD and WBiB coupled with the Balanced mentality. 

Your build-up play is so slow and sterile, that it probably provokes the opposition (perhaps even weaker teams sometimes) to go aggressively on you and rob you of that "bloody" ball you are dwelling on with no logical reason.

And you are doing that while managing Barca - one of the best teams in the world.

4 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

The problem is that your tactic - especially instructions - looks like you want to have possession for the sake of possession: much shorter passing, PoD and WBiB coupled with the Balanced mentality. 

Your build-up play is so slow and sterile, that it probably provokes the opposition (perhaps even weaker teams sometimes) to go aggressively on you and rob you of that "bloody" ball you are dwelling on with no logical reason.

And you are doing that while managing Barca - one of the best teams in the world.

actually, the problem is that transitions are too quick, my wingers get the ball too quickly and then rush forward alone and lose the ball. Another problems are useless, inaccurate shots and lack of any movement during build up. Any ideas how to fix it? 

I’m curious about a couple of your roles....

winger (s) and mez (a) are occupying very similar space. 

BBM and IF are also occupying same space.

swapping those two items should help your player movement and make you a bit harder to mark

43 minutes ago, s0ni42 said:

I’m curious about a couple of your roles....

winger (s) and mez (a) are occupying very similar space. 

BBM and IF are also occupying same space.

swapping those two items should help your player movement and make you a bit harder to mark

My logic in this situation is that winger stays very wide (near the touchline) and by that, he makes space for Mezzala. Almost everytime I played Mezzala and Inside Forward on the same side, then they were very very close to eachother occupying same space

With slow build play, balanced mentalitly along with only one player on attack duty id be suprised if your team scored goals.

If your only bothered about possesion and not winning games, set keeper to short kicks to full backs, and pull your wingers into midfield.

Change your Mezalla and BBM to Centre Mid defend duty and support duty.

Also have dribble less enabled.

You'll never won games with these changes but possesion should improve.

13 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

I guess you are referring to those transitions when you win the ball higher up the pitch?

No, when I win the ball higher up the pitch it looks better. I am talking about building the action up from my goal, the transition from goalkeeper to winger is too fast, like 3 passes and then winger gets the ball and loses it, or just 2 passes - to CD to DM and then he dribbles forward and makes inaccurate pass. 

13 hours ago, thehig2 said:

With slow build play, balanced mentalitly along with only one player on attack duty id be suprised if your team scored goals.

If your only bothered about possesion and not winning games, set keeper to short kicks to full backs, and pull your wingers into midfield.

Change your Mezalla and BBM to Centre Mid defend duty and support duty.

Also have dribble less enabled.

You'll never won games with these changes but possesion should improve.

Actually I am winning games, the thread is about low possesion numbers, not about winning. I am still playing Barcelona so we always squeeze the ball in despite playing like horse ****, because of Lautaro Martinez, Kai Havertz or Arthur in midfield. 

5 hours ago, radenje said:

No, when I win the ball higher up the pitch it looks better. I am talking about building the action up from my goal, the transition from goalkeeper to winger is too fast, like 3 passes and then winger gets the ball and loses it, or just 2 passes - to CD to DM and then he dribbles forward and makes inaccurate pass

I have to admit it really sounds weird, because nothing in your tactic(s) is conducive to such a fast attacking build-up play. Neither your instructions nor roles. I don't have any idea why that happens, sorry. 

5 hours ago, radenje said:

No, when I win the ball higher up the pitch it looks better. I am talking about building the action up from my goal, the transition from goalkeeper to winger is too fast, like 3 passes and then winger gets the ball and loses it, or just 2 passes - to CD to DM and then he dribbles forward and makes inaccurate pass.

Are there any other factors at play here that you haven't mentioned?

Player instructions maybe or PPMs that players are acting on?

6 hours ago, radenje said:

What are you watching your matches on, Key, Extended, Comp or full. 

Sometimes in key you wont see any patient build up play as it didnt lead to a goal or chance.

3 hours ago, rockpie said:

Are there any other factors at play here that you haven't mentioned?

Player instructions maybe or PPMs that players are acting on?

De Jong has "bring ball out of defence" ppm and I don't have problem with him dribbling the ball out of defence, the issue here is that he dribbles and then passes inaccurately. Maybe that's because of "deep lying playmaker" role. So I will have to play a bit more with the second tacitc in which he has "anchor man" role. Maybe that will encourage him to take less risk while building up. I feel like another issue might be "dictate tempo"?? Maybe he decides that we should play faster and that's why he makes more direct pass to winger/wingback that ends up outside the pitch?

Depending on how you want to play but your tactics lacks one support or one attack duty. Also as Barca you should use Control or Attacking mentality against all teams except Real and Atletico. And don't forget to add another attack duty with Att mentality.

Best thing to do would be to start with (Tiki Taka) preset and then improve it after you understand it a little more. 

Change your inside forward to a winger on support and your fullbacks to inverted wingbacks. Attacking mentality, high press, shortest possible passes. GK set on short goal kicks. Striker to a false nine or deep lying forward. Deep lying midfielder to a DM on support. This way all your players are very close together and at hand for keeping hold of possession. Attacking mentality means they are aggressive to get the ball back and move it around with purpose. That'll get you possession. 

You can also try an advanced playmaker on the wing corresponding to where you put your roaming playmaker in midfield, preferably on attack duty. And then on that flank you can also put your fullback on a wide attacking duty to overload that side at the cost of some defensive frailties there.

Edited by Adonalsium

i changed a lot of things, currently I am starting all over again with new tactic in the new season. I noticed that no matter the mentality/roles etc I will always have low possession because I feel like pressing is too weak and ball oriented, that's why my team doesn't attack as unit and doesn't cut off passing lanes for enemy team and that is the reason why almost every my opponent has higher possession, because they are on defensive mentality just passing the ball around at the back with no desire to attack me. That's why I am winning games but lack the possession. I could easily get 60%+ ball possession in my first seasons managing Barca B team but after going to Barcelona I can see that everybody just keeps passing the ball around with no intention of attacking me meanwhile the pressing looks like **** no matter the mentality Balanced/Attacking, always one player going for another player with the ball, then enemy passes the ball, and then another player goes for the ball etc. There is no pressing as a unit at all. Any ideas how to change the way my team closes down the opponents? 

Edited by radenje

1 hour ago, Experienced Defender said:

As long as you are winning, who cares about possession ?!? Football is about winning as many points as possible, not keeping possession for the sake of it.

well I think the opposite. I want to win in style and dominate possession, I guess thats why I am Barca and Ajax supporter. Also, I am watching games on full so I actually want to watch my team play and enjoy it instead of fighting with myself to not fall asleep and that's why I created this thread. Yes, I am winning but I want to win with beautiful possession football and I am not able to do this with the best techincal players in the world playing as Barcelona.

12 hours ago, radenje said:

well I think the opposite. I want to win in style and dominate possession, I guess thats why I am Barca and Ajax supporter. Also, I am watching games on full so I actually want to watch my team play and enjoy it instead of fighting with myself to not fall asleep and that's why I created this thread. Yes, I am winning but I want to win with beautiful possession football and I am not able to do this with the best techincal players in the world playing as Barcelona.

Okay, fair enough, I guess :onmehead: