FM2020 - Matt's Attacking & Entertaining Football Tactic 4-2-4

I have developed my own successful tactic in FM2020 managing a fourth tier Norweigan team called Lyn Fotball. With this tactic i have managed to take them from the fourth tier to the first divison and am currently top of the league. 

I do not sign or buy any players, i am doing a youth challenge so i rely on youngsters coming through which makes progression a bit harder, so i was looking for a tactic that allowed me to maximise my performance. 

The tactic relies on playing attacking, attractive football and focuses on scoring goals and lots of them. The idea of the tactic is simply to outscore the opposition and if you have the right players this can easily be done. 

It relies on fast direct balls over the top to fast forwards who will regularly break the defensive line and find themselves one on one with the keeper. 

Where possible play will be built from the back, but eventually a direct ball will be launched to the fowards and a clear cut opportunity will arrive.

The key to this tactic is to have the 2x AFs and the AML/AMR with high acceleration and pace attributes, (ideally 15 for each or higher) however it can also work with attributes that are 12 or higher. 

The AFs will need to have decent finishing attributes and decent composure for the best results. They will get a lot of one on ones every single game. 

You will also need two creative midfielders with a high vision attribute (ideally 12+) as these guys will be creating the multiple clear cut chances you can expect each game. 

I only train part time as my club is semi pro, but i recommend that you use the following training choices, Play from the back and Attacking Direct training. My weekly training schedule is attached and works well with this tactic. 

I don't use opposition instructions.

I have setup the set pieces to suit my players, feel free to adjust those if required. 

There are two tactics:

4-2-4 Push - Uses a high defensive line so this is useful for games in which you are the favourite or the opposition is parking the bus. I use this tactic in most games and is pretty much plug and play. 

4-2-4 Balanced - Same tactic but uses a standard defensive line and a lower level of engagement for the forwards. If the opposition is getting behind your backline and are outscoring you then this can help. 

Here are three PKM files (recorded matches) which you can place in your My Documents > Sports Interactive > FM2020 > Matches folder and you can view the matches and tactic in game. 

Notodden 1 - Lyn 6 - https://www.mediafire.com/file/vbgtwyiot39es0e/Notodden_v_Lyn_1-6.pkm/file

Asker 2 - Lyn 7 - https://www.mediafire.com/file/az6pfrmpw14xn2f/Asker_v_Lyn_2-7.pkm/file

Lyn Reservers 13 - Ranheim Reservers 1- https://www.mediafire.com/file/xmqzksav5d9civt/Lyn_2_v_Ranheim_2_13-1.pkm/file (i also manage my reserve team as they play in a league a couple of divisions below the first team) 

I have attached some images showing the tactics, the key players attributes and my results. 

Please try out the tactics and let me know what you think and if they work for you. 

Happy goal scoring folks. :)

Download Links

4-2-4 Push - https://www.mediafire.com/file/rl8vfhl5aunixpn/4-2-4_Push.fmf/file

4-2-4 Balanced - https://www.mediafire.com/file/g3juy233h1m2wvm/4-2-4_Balanced.fmf/file

3.PNG

4.PNG

1.PNG

2.PNG

5.PNG

6.PNG

7.PNG

8.PNG

9.PNG

Capture.PNG

Edited by TheMattB81

Thanks for the feedback guys, glad to hear its working well for you. 

The issue  i have is my defenders are much lower quality  (both CBs are 2 star) than my midfield and strikers, but i score enough goals to win almost all games. Once i get some better quicker defenders i should be unstoppable. 

Hi Matt,

This tactic was good in pre season but has now dropped off.

in the league I have won 4 and lost 4 so its very average at the moment.

Problem is ive been playing with first team and haven't done any youth challenge yet.

How have you managed to have such success with only playing youth team as they are nowehere near the standard side.....

Do you think being in the Norwegian league 4th tier the difference between youth and first team wont be so big as it would be in England and that's how youre being successful ?

8 hours ago, Bcfclee27 said:

Hi Matt,

This tactic was good in pre season but has now dropped off.

in the league I have won 4 and lost 4 so its very average at the moment.

Problem is ive been playing with first team and haven't done any youth challenge yet.

How have you managed to have such success with only playing youth team as they are nowehere near the standard side.....

Do you think being in the Norwegian league 4th tier the difference between youth and first team wont be so big as it would be in England and that's how youre being successful ?

Sorry to hear that my friend, i find with the right players it is working well for me. 

What are team and players are you using?

I think it is working for me as i have players that suit that tactic. 

10 hours ago, Bcfclee27 said:

Hi Matt, im gonna start an English save starting in low division and just using academy players like you have.

What tips can you give on developing youths ?

Any recommendations for what type of coaches to get and what academy upgrades to focus on etc etc.

The main thing is to invest in youth coaching and local recruitment. Lyn start off with good standards for the level they play at which helps a bit. 

14 hours ago, TheMattB81 said:

Sorry to hear that my friend, i find with the right players it is working well for me. 

What are team and players are you using?

I think it is working for me as i have players that suit that tactic. 

The main thing is to invest in youth coaching and local recruitment. Lyn start off with good standards for the level they play at which helps a bit. 

Hi Matt, so started a new save using these tactics as Blyth Spartans in Vanarama North.

Halfway through the season and am sitiing pretty at the top of the league (the board wanted me to avoid relegation), so working very well.

One thing ive noticed is my strikers miss a massive amount of one on ones (have bought the fastest and best finishers available to me).

Do you still find this now your in your top division and have better finishers or do they still miss many one on ones....?

So far am very happy, any other tips for players or the tactics would be welcome, any attributes you recommend for GKs & Defenders or just decent ones with reasonable pace ?

Yes i find my strikers miss a lot of one on ones too. I think this is just the way the match engine behaves as if you scored all these clear cut chances the score would finish in doubles figures every game.

For defenders i would look for acceleration and pace for the high defensive line, anticipation and decisions for the offside trap. Goalkeeper i would go for rushing out and one on ones and reflexes, as you will see a lot of one on ones against your defence as well. 

I'm sure the tactic can be improved though, if i find any useful improvements ill update the thread. 

3 hours ago, Kakidaniel said:

Is there any PI's?

Looks interesting, might use it as a basic and tweak it so it suits my team.

E: What's your thoughts in the wingers? They seem off because the longballs gets to the forwards each time.

No PIs. 

Makes sense. 

The wingers are mainly there to pick up clearances from the defence and midfield and provide low crosses and through balls for the forwards. If you play them on attacking mentality, they are too far forward as the tactic uses play out of defence so i like having the shorter option available if the defenders/midfielders choose to pass to them. The 2x AFs are there for the long clearance/through ball from the defence/midfield. 

Edited by TheMattB81

15 hours ago, TheMattB81 said:

No PIs. 

Makes sense. 

The wingers are mainly there to pick up clearances from the defence and midfield and provide low crosses and through balls for the forwards. If you play them on attacking mentality, they are too far forward as the tactic uses play out of defence so i like having the shorter option available if the defenders/midfielders choose to pass to them. The 2x AFs are there for the long clearance/through ball from the defence/midfield. 

Thanks! I've got some problem with the goalscoring about a half season in and we concede more goals now also. But, we usually do a couple of goals early in the games but after that they seem to relax and then we concede the goals. The second half is usually the worst.

2 hours ago, Kakidaniel said:

Thanks! I've got some problem with the goalscoring about a half season in and we concede more goals now also. But, we usually do a couple of goals early in the games but after that they seem to relax and then we concede the goals. The second half is usually the worst.

Try to use a team talk to warn about complacency. Could also try switching to the second tactic once you have a comfortable lead. 

Used it for 4 games so far and got 2 draws and 2 losses.

I like the way the tactics plays but because of the amount of 1-on-1s you create and they way you can't actually score 1-on-1s currently, it's making it very difficult to score.

Keep at it and it should improve. Make sure your training schedules suit the tactic. Also, try using the second tactic 4-2-4 Balanced. 

Since i got into the top tier of Norweigan football i had to switch to the second tactic as my players are not good enough for the high defensive line. 

20 hours ago, OldManPar77 said:

Do enjoy a 4-2-4 and struggling at the moment in other styles so going to gives these a go.... cheers for putting together - you're results look encouraging

Let me know how you get on. 

On 20/12/2019 at 22:38, OldManPar77 said:

Do enjoy a 4-2-4 and struggling at the moment in other styles so going to gives these a go.... cheers for putting together - you're results look encouraging

On 21/12/2019 at 19:00, FM Base said:

Hi Matt, would you mind if we tested this?

Any feedback lads?

• 2 weeks later...

Great tactic in the lower leagues for sure! Two promotions in three seasons with Alfreton and I left them 2nd in League 2 to go to Derby in the Championship. 

Unfortunately at Championship level it's been an absolute disaster. I think the tactic deserves more time as there are some issues with the team but the results have been horrendous and it feels like the tactic plays a lot differently at this level.

I retract my post above....

Six straight wins, playing teams way above us in the league off the park. Once we got the morale up and some signings that fit the tactic it's pretty plain sailing now. I inherited a squad of 30something age players and had to clear out and/or drop some deadwood.

45 minutes ago, TheMattB81 said:

Glad to hear its working well for you. I am working on a newer version will update the post if i make it better. 

Look forward to it sir!

On 11/01/2020 at 09:28, TheMattB81 said:

Glad to hear its working well for you. I am working on a newer version will update the post if i make it better. 

It's hit and miss in higher league Football for me. Lower league it's a killer tactic and you can kinda be less choosy with the players you bring in as long as they fit the role by having most of the right attributes. Any fast striker is likely to ruin defences in non-league.

I'm currently managing in the Danish Superliga and it's really inconsistent. Don't get me wrong, we're in the hunt for the title with a team that's realistically mid-table in terms of talent/media expectation, but there's zero pattern of how well we're going to play week in and week out. I think at this level it's way more crucial to be more picky with the types of players you have for the tactic to really work.

I think it's also important to look at player preferred moves as well. Having a playmaker in midfield who likes to dribble the ball often goes against the tactical plan of the ball over the top towards your fast wingers and strikers, for example.

I had mixed results. Using mainly with Spartak Moscow I was quite dominant domestically but it was found out in Europe. I've reverted to 4-1-2-3 at the moment but was going to go back to this at end of the current season I'm in. Interested to see what if any new version comes out.  Cheers.