FM20: The English Football League thread

warlock

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@karanhsingh Great stuff, and beating your city rivals to clinch promotion was a fine way to do it. Abrokat must have been doing cartwheels and somersaults?

@smplfc123 The contract might be a worry, but you're making solid progress and I hope they don't forget that. Surprised about Brewster, he was great for me at Hull.

@warlock Congrats on the promotion. very well deserved indeed.

3 hours ago, smplfc123 said:

Congratulations @karanhsingh, that's some serious bragging rights you've earned yourself there! 

Do you plan on carrying on next season with the save?

Thanks! Yes definitely. This is a journeyman save and I'm determined to make it to 2030 lol. I don't think I'd move to another English club now, but down the line if the Rangers job opens up that could be intriguing. 

1 hour ago, Jogo Bonito said:

@karanhsingh Great stuff, and beating your city rivals to clinch promotion was a fine way to do it. Abrokat must have been doing cartwheels and somersaults?

@smplfc123

@warlock

I see what you did there :D

It indeed was one of the most tense yet exciting games I've played on this year's FM. 

9 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Who would be a good team in the EFL to do a youth only challenge with and not Leeds as I think that would be too easy.

Derby have some great youngsters knocking around. If you want to go lower down then maybe Bolton or Crewe.

Just now, Ronaldo Beckham said:

I have done a Derby save recently and was really good but thank you for the suggestion.

Challenge accepted.

image.png.fca4000aff3612797d1887d2c6b1e259.png

I strolled to the title without making any signings (and ditched all the players I really dislike). It will be in here, before I took on West Brom.

Every bad move you make, I will be rolling me eyes at you from afar though :rolleyes::brock:

3 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

I strolled to the title without making any signings (and ditched all the players I really dislike). It will be in here, before I took on West Brom.

Every bad move you make, I will be rolling me eyes at you from afar though :rolleyes::brock:

What bad moves are you expecting me to make. 

First move I will be making is tying Danny Loader to a long term contract.

Just now, Ronaldo Beckham said:

What bad moves are you expecting me to make. 

First move I will be making is tying Danny Loader to a long term contract.

There's your first bad move. I was on create a club and he was probably the first one I wanted to release.

He is excellent in FM though. That's a research issue to be addressed for FM21.

1 minute ago, Jogo Bonito said:

There's your first bad move. I was on create a club and he was probably the first one I wanted to release.

He is excellent in FM though. That's a research issue to be addressed for FM21.

Oh ok, well if I get a big offer I will sell him.

Also my Club Vision wants me to sign players to sell for profit.  So does that mean if I do a Youth Only save with them will I get sacked if I don't sign any players ?
image.thumb.png.cc7adfe9c84283c698b4ce350b5d239c.png

Seriously, if you want to keep Loader, offer him a new contract as he will perform in game for you. 

I never made one signing, I can't imagine they would sack you for that. My guess is even with no signings, you'll be a PL club next year.

If you want a longer challenge, perhaps look to League 1 or League 2?

Olise is the bright young star, play him as often as you can is my advice.

1 minute ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Seriously, if you want to keep Loader, offer him a new contract as he will perform in game for you. 

I never made one signing, I can't imagine they would sack you for that. My guess is even with no signings, you'll be a PL club next year.

If you want a longer challenge, perhaps look to League 1 or League 2?

Olise is the bright young star, play him as often as you can is my advice.

Cheers for the advice mate. I think I will do a year or 2 with Reading and then maybe do a new save with Luton and only sign under 21 year old players released from Prem clubs from London. 

2 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

You're welcome. Honestly, I won't be critical whatever you do. Good luck and I hope you enjoy it.

No I know you wouldn't but I take criticism as a positive thing as you are more knowledgable then I am so I only take in a good way.

By the way I have signed the Ginger Mourinho Gary Megson as my Assistant Manager.

2 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

No I know you wouldn't but I take criticism as a positive thing as you are more knowledgable then I am so I only take in a good way.

By the way I have signed the Ginger Mourinho Gary Megson as my Assistant Manager.

Blimey, Gary Megson at Reading. What a thought that is for all those promising youngsters.

Just now, Jogo Bonito said:

Blimey, Gary Megson at Reading. What a thought that is for all those promising youngsters.

He was the best Assistant I could get as I have a small database cos of doing the youth only side of it I didn't see the point in having a big database.

Megson aint that bad by the looks of it.

His coaching attributes aint too good but he has good attributes in the right areas.

image.thumb.png.029536c1eeefa54580a2d8e8b000f189.png

I luckily had a trigger contract extension on Danny Loader as his contract expired in a years time and he wouldn't agree a new contract due to interest from other clubs.

image.thumb.png.e9209623c0045d53fe0206a283e7e216.png

You are right about Michael Olise. He looks really good.

I have promoted him to the first team squad and he will get game time.

1 hour ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Cheers for the advice mate. I think I will do a year or 2 with Reading and then maybe do a new save with Luton and only sign under 21 year old players released from Prem clubs from London. 

If it's a youth only save you may want to buckle in for more than a year or two! 

6 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

FM seems to have got this one wrong but Loader was highly rated IRL at one point as well. Guess it hasn't quite happened for him. 

13 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Thanks! Yes definitely. This is a journeyman save and I'm determined to make it to 2030 lol. I don't think I'd move to another English club now, but down the line if the Rangers job opens up that could be intriguing. 

Great to hear. I'm planning on doing the same and the Rangers job is the one I want too haha! I even applied for the opening in Jan after Sanchez-Flores was sacked, but it went to another Spaniard.

14 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

@smplfc123 The contract might be a worry, but you're making solid progress and I hope they don't forget that. Surprised about Brewster, he was great for me at Hull.

The introduction of Defoe has given all the strikers a boost. In the last 3 games, all 4 strikers have scored, with Brewster bagging 3 in 2 starts, so there's hope!

image.thumb.png.9fa4d0fb3757affa1e9e01b2e98d47c0.png

A good run of form, including our best performance of the season at home to West Ham, has seen us consolidate our position well within the top half of the table with 5 games to go.

image.thumb.png.d8811d16db5b2f93909555aff07268a3.png

We're too far off the play-offs to get excited about sneaking in, especially with Forest and Hull in decent form themselves too. Due to this 2nd half of the season, the board have offered me a new contract, however I've declined the talks for now. I think I'm going to keep an eye on what becomes available this summer before deciding if I want to try and take The Owls further than what I've done so far.

That's good progress mate, it's all about momentum. What's your manager reputation like in the game? 

Quite a coincidence that we both eyeing up Rangers as well. Like you they rejected me at the time when I took up the Sheff Wed role. I'd like to start competing for silverware soon, and that will obviously still take time at Wednesday. Hence Scotland appeals and I've just activated the Dutch league as well in my game. 

2 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

That's good progress mate, it's all about momentum. What's your manager reputation like in the game? 

Quite a coincidence that we both eyeing up Rangers as well. Like you they rejected me at the time when I took up the Sheff Wed role. I'd like to start competing for silverware soon, and that will obviously still take time at Wednesday. Hence Scotland appeals and I've just activated the Dutch league as well in my game. 

It's 1 and a half stars at the moment as I start on a fairly low reputation.

Yeah and i'd like to be the guy who halts Celtic's domination too! West Ham have sacked Strachan for not making the top 2 in The Championship and now I'm wanted. Let's see what happens there.

image.thumb.png.c3ed85b1e2607e2d19fd3f546d883ff6.png

We couldn't, could we?????

Our brilliant run of 13 games unbeaten, coupled with Forest's real life-like collapse, has seen us still in with a shout of that final play off place with 2 games left. Unfortunately, Hull are in great form too, so I'm still depending on others doing me favours.

West Ham gave me an interview, but chose Paul Lambert. Saved me an awkward decision. 

CONTINUED.....

image.thumb.png.cbe5f26058f2b622c1a5178ce2a5b345.png

Unfortunately it wasn't to be. A final day defeat to 2nd place Southampton at St Mary's meant we missed out by just a point. We took an early lead through Andre, but we couldn't hold on and their class told with the likes of JWP and Ings.

I'm extremely pleased with the season, we've been excellent. Now it's time to take a couple of in-game weeks to decide what's next for me.

Edited by smplfc123

1 hour ago, smplfc123 said:

Unfortunately it wasn't to be

At least you're spared the angst of the playoffs :seagull:

1 hour ago, smplfc123 said:

I'm extremely pleased with the season

Quite right, too. A couple of in-game weeks? Should be about decided then :lol:

13 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

FM seems to have got this one wrong but Loader was highly rated IRL at one point as well. Guess it hasn't quite happened for him. 

He might bounce back, but he was underwhelming week in and week out in real life. With the exception of one wonderful goal he barely looked like shooting, let alone scoring. 

Before breaking in to the first team, his performances at youth level for Reading & England were excellent. Others much less hyped did considerably better when given first team games though.

@smplfc123 A fine run there, you can be very pleased with getting that close.

Edited by Jogo Bonito

2 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

He might bounce back, but he was underwhelming week in and week out in real life. With the exception of one wonderful goal he barely looked like shooting, let alone scoring. 

Before breaking in to the first team, his performances at youth level for Reading & England were excellent. Others much less hyped did considerably better when given first team games though.

@smplfc123 A fine run there, you can be very pleased with getting that close.

Yes I only saw him once at old Trafford when reading visited for a cup game and he looked very raw. Wouldn't have noticed him if it wasn't for the FM reputation. 

2 hours ago, warlock said:

At least you're spared the angst of the playoffs :seagull:

Quite right, too. A couple of in-game weeks? Should be about decided then :lol:

LOL. Somehow I find that during the off season my weeks move much slower. I don't know if anyone else does the same. 

4 hours ago, smplfc123 said:

It's 1 and a half stars at the moment as I start on a fairly low reputation.

Yeah and i'd like to be the guy who halts Celtic's domination too! West Ham have sacked Strachan for not making the top 2 in The Championship and now I'm wanted. Let's see what happens there.

Same here for the first time I stated with no badges and Sunday league. Have built up to 2 stars so far, long way to go. 

Solid season there and I look forward to seeing how the summer turns out for you 

I've had some takeover drama at Wednesday over the summer - should have an update up tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, karanhsingh said:

Yes I only saw him once at old Trafford when reading visited for a cup game and he looked very raw. Wouldn't have noticed him if it wasn't for the FM reputation. 

LOL. Somehow I find that during the off season my weeks move much slower. I don't know if anyone else does the same. 

I've had some takeover drama at Wednesday over the summer - should have an update up tomorrow. 

Wouldn't notice him is pretty accurate as a summary of his first team appearances. I may as well put it out there, but I'm a long-term Reading supporter which started when they were in the 4th tier :idiot:

My off-season is always much slower. It's the transfer window, contracts, friendlies etc. I don't tend to do much in the winter transfer window either, which also makes the summer window important.

I've never managed Sheff Wed but even I might consider it one day if a database file comes out on -12 points, especially if they have the same 'club may fold' dramas that everyone else has with them. Might. Might not :lol:

Edited by Jogo Bonito

I never had that issue in CAC mode as I signed nobody and got rid of all the people I don't like. If you need money, I'd suggest you get rid of Puscas, play Joao as lone striker and Meite on the right in a 433 as a wide target man. Joao was my top scorer, both him and Swift got in the team of the season. 

8 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

I never had that issue in CAC mode as I signed nobody and got rid of all the people I don't like. If you need money, I'd suggest you get rid of Puscas, play Joao as lone striker and Meite on the right in a 433 as a wide target man. Joao was my top scorer, both him and Swift got in the team of the season. 

Yeah this is my current first team starting 11, Gunter is off in January but other then that this is my strongest side.

image.thumb.png.df36f664862dcc2d1bb192a12de17ea4.png

Well, Meite certainly looks happy :lol:

That's pretty much what I played. Pele and Rinomhota is a 50/50 call, as is Morrison and Miazga. All three left-backs are about the same quality (Blackett strongest defensively, the other two are better going forward). Meite is the only time I ever used a wide target man in FM, and he was superb at it, Joao I liked as a target man. Midfield roles are a bit different, as I tried to replicate how they play best in real life.

1413765926_Reading_Overview.thumb.png.1f00402e58d8d5c4b9fcc7dc12c5a9d1.png

Good luck winning the league.

Edited by Jogo Bonito

33 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Well, Meite certainly looks happy :lol:

That's pretty much what I played. Pele and Rinomhota is a 50/50 call, as is Morrison and Miazga. All three left-backs are about the same quality (Blackett strongest defensively, the other two are better going forward). Meite is the only time I ever used a wide target man in FM, and he was superb at it, Joao I liked as a target man. Midfield roles are a bit different, as I tried to replicate how they play best in real life.

1413765926_Reading_Overview.thumb.png.1f00402e58d8d5c4b9fcc7dc12c5a9d1.png

Good luck winning the league.

Yeah I will be happy to just make the play offs. Anything else is a bonus.

I have managed to get the wage budget down by canceling Pele's and Masika's loans.

I also sold Gareth McCleary, Charlie Adam, Sam Baldock, Chris Gunter, Sam Walker and Tyler Blackett.

In hindsight signing Liam Moore to a new contract was a bad idea as he is earning £35k which is a lot for a Championship player.

I might sell Moore in the summer if I don't get promoted.

The board have helped me a bit clearing part of the debt.

image.thumb.png.e8d0c9e7e7389c9db8c76b2ee699be5b.png

None of the players heading out are big losses, although Gunter was a steady deputy. Pele was good but if you're cash-strapped it makes sense to end the loan. He's a better player than Araruna, but the latter can (at a push) cover right-back for Yiadom. Osho and Rinomhota can play there too, Watson was once promising but hasn't developed for several seasons.

5 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

None of the players heading out are big losses, although Gunter was a steady deputy. Pele was good but if you're cash-strapped it makes sense to end the loan. He's a better player than Araruna, but the latter can (at a push) cover right-back for Yiadom. Osho and Rinomhota can play there too, Watson was once promising but hasn't developed for several seasons.

Yeah I am hoping to have Tamari Watson as my main right back and Omar Richards as my main left back as the seasons go on.

Committing to The Owls, for now.....

After being rejected for the only jobs I fancied (Rangers and Schalke) I've decided to stay at Hillsborough for the time being. I've yet to agree an extension, but at the next opportunity,  I will. Here's how the squad is looking going in to pre-season:

image.thumb.png.02ba6a0c3d18540409372303c5b63430.png

As you can see it's not the biggest squad. Westwood retired, Broner has been offloaded to Wigan for £2m, Defoe was released as he wanted too much for an impact sub and Pelupessy is probably on his way out too. 

After finishing the season strong and ending on 11 goals in 35 starts, I've made an offer to Liverpool to keep Brewster for another season. I've got another Portugese player, Jose Gomes, joining us on a free from Chaves to compete with Horn at LB. 

I'm wanting to bring in a GK, a back up CB, cover on one of the wings and another Striker as I play with 2 up top. We've got £4.4m and £60k p/w in the budgets to work with, but that won't stop me from searching for a bargain. 

The aim is to replicate the season we just had, with this exception that this time around, we sneak in to the play-offs.

On 07/08/2020 at 01:32, Jogo Bonito said:

Wouldn't notice him is pretty accurate as a summary of his first team appearances. I may as well put it out there, but I'm a long-term Reading supporter which started when they were in the 4th tier :idiot:

My off-season is always much slower. It's the transfer window, contracts, friendlies etc. I don't tend to do much in the winter transfer window either, which also makes the summer window important.

I've never managed Sheff Wed but even I might consider it one day if a database file comes out on -12 points, especially if they have the same 'club may fold' dramas that everyone else has with them. Might. Might not :lol:

Ah finally find out who you support! I remember when they were in the premier league with Sidwell and Co. Good times. 

Your FM tactics at Reading were really interesting. Different shape. Did you use it in the premier league as well? 

18 hours ago, smplfc123 said:

Committing to The Owls, for now.....

After being rejected for the only jobs I fancied (Rangers and Schalke) I've decided to stay at Hillsborough for the time being. I've yet to agree an extension, but at the next opportunity,  I will. Here's how the squad is looking going in to pre-season:

As you can see it's not the biggest squad. Westwood retired, Broner has been offloaded to Wigan for £2m, Defoe was released as he wanted too much for an impact sub and Pelupessy is probably on his way out too. 

After finishing the season strong and ending on 11 goals in 35 starts, I've made an offer to Liverpool to keep Brewster for another season. I've got another Portugese player, Jose Gomes, joining us on a free from Chaves to compete with Horn at LB. 

I'm wanting to bring in a GK, a back up CB, cover on one of the wings and another Striker as I play with 2 up top. We've got £4.4m and £60k p/w in the budgets to work with, but that won't stop me from searching for a bargain. 

The aim is to replicate the season we just had, with this exception that this time around, we sneak in to the play-offs.

I feel like you definitely need to add some numbers! Good luck with the new season. 

7 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Some decent players on the Youth Intake.

John McDermott

Junior Foster

Robert Martin

I am currently top of the league with a 12 point lead.

Great progress. Will you continue with youth only in the EPL? 

1 hour ago, karanhsingh said:

Ah finally find out who you support! I remember when they were in the premier league with Sidwell and Co. Good times. 

Your FM tactics at Reading were really interesting. Different shape. Did you use it in the premier league as well? 

Yes that was a very good side indeed (for a couple of years). Due to work I was quite close to those players and staff which was a great period for the club. 

After I got Reading promoted I jumped ship and took on West Brom in League 1 after their relegation, so I didn't manage them in the PL. The tactics were suitable for the players, but the use of a wide target man was enjoyable (Meite is 100% suited to it and plays that role in real life). The asymmetrical midfield was something I first tried at Fulham several years earlier (I think in the last year of Ryan Sessegnon), when they used a winger on one side and a narrower attacking player on the right.

Edited by Jogo Bonito

39 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Yes that was a very good side indeed (for a couple of years). Due to work I was quite close to those players and staff which was a great period for the club. 

After I got Reading promoted I jumped ship and took on West Brom in League 1 after their relegation, so I didn't manage them in the PL. The tactics were suitable for the players, but the use of a wide target man was enjoyable (Meite is 100% suited to it and plays that role in real life). The asymmetrical midfield was something I first tried at Fulham several years earlier (I think in the last year of Ryan Sessegnon), when they used a winger on one side and a narrower attacking player on the right.

Ah yes. I forgot you have a slight aversion to managing in the premier league :lol:

Ryan Sessegnon used to be an amazing RMD for me in game until last edition. 

Good morning people of the efl thread, it's been a long few months for me but yesterday I managed to knuckle down and think about some FM.

Since the season has now ended, I've been looking for an update with transfers, relegation/promotions and a few tweaks to the efl database (CA-PA, finances, points deductions etc...)

Since I couldn't find an update that was close enough too my liking, I doubt any update will look at the EFL with any great detail, so I brought it upon myself to do it myself. I didn't want to settle for just promotion/relegation and the addition of new transfers using https://sortitoutsi.net/football-manager-data-update, knowing that the promoted sides would almost certainly be relegated.

So I decided to have a little tinker with CA-PA for a few of the sides, they certainly not anywhere near as accurate as they are for the standard FM database but it's something.

Also Sheffield Wednesday have been given a 12 point deduction and Wigan are in admin :ackter:No comment about that debacle :herman:. Promoted teams to the Prem have been given some extra funding, there's no method to what I've given them but it should give them a little leg up.

I'm not sure about the rules with file sharing but I want to tweak a few more players CA-PA but it takes time. I'd be happy to post it in here and on the forum in general, if anyone wants to have a go at the 2021 season.

Cheers

Note - I've only done the promotions and relegations for the English leagues.

3 hours ago, Jamesbfc1887 said:

Good morning people of the efl thread

Welcome back :thup:. Hope you're well in the face of the current crisis. 

I'm sure there's some interest in an updated database. I might be tempted to have a crack at a relegated Norwich myself.

46 minutes ago, warlock said:

Welcome back :thup:. Hope you're well in the face of the current crisis. 

I'm sure there's some interest in an updated database. I might be tempted to have a crack at a relegated Norwich myself.

Yeah I'm currently sifting through the leagues, trying to apply as many CA-PA changes as I can, to the best of my ability. I have a decent knowledge of the EFL but I don't know exactly how each player has performed so most of the players are the same. I've tried to do a decent job of giving those that I know deserve an upgrade.

It's quite the job, I'm through the Championship now, there'll be less changes to League 1 and 2 because I don't know quite as much about the players.

10 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

I feel like you definitely need to add some numbers! Good luck with the new season. 

Great progress. Will you continue with youth only in the EPL? 

Yeah I will continue with youth only in the Prem. I want to try not to sign any players and try make the Reading save a long term one.

I just got promoted as well

image.thumb.png.0258099bfb81bc7e2ed4af5edfc50bd6.png