Oliver Glasner - 343

New Setup for FM20 here. The thread-opening is the FM19 concept and general musing about Glasner's system.

Oliver Glasner – 343

1. Intro and TI
  2. Defense
  3. Offense
  4. Summary and training
  5. reserved

#Introduction

Oliver Glasner is the head coach of my local Bundesliga club VfL Wolfsburg for now a bit over 100 days. With him he brought a system I always wanted to try in Football Manager, so why not start by replicating his way of play for a short test run as my last FM19 campaign and my first post-beta FM20 one?

#Base Formation and concept

Glasner likes to use a 3-4-3 with hard pressing and fast transitions. His front wide players he describes as operating primarily in the halfspaces, more supporting striker than winger. He wants to win back lost balls quickly and strike the opponent in moments of disarray. To keep his half-space wingers like that, I opted to experiment with some minor asymmetry: One is a wide player playing narrow, one is a central player playing wide. Started as a testing case to see which way to go, it weirdly enough worked the best with both of these types together!

Base.thumb.png.f7c6914e643f1e192bd810026646649e.png

#Base TI

• Play out of Defence
  • Focus Play Through The Middle

Keeping it simple, in possession the only instructions are to ensure an orderly buildup from the back as well as the all-important boost to the backline which helps the outer Centrebacks bringing the ball forwards.

• Distribute Centrebacks
  • Distribute Fullbacks
  • Counter
  • Counter-Press

The first two once again ensure an orderly buildup through the backline and aim to reduce wild long balls from the goalkeeper. The Centrebacks already stretch the pitch and have plenty of short and long options. The other two are the basis of the entire concept ;)

• Higher Line
  • Higher Line
  • Extremely urgent Pressing
  • [Tight Marking]
  • [Offside Trap]

The lines are only a reference. With a good Sweeper Keeper and a fast central Centreback it can be worth a try to go much higher. Similarly slower teams might want to compress the pressing area or keep it closer to their own goal.

But wherever the pressing starts and ends, it should be hard and brutal. Inside the dedicated pressing zones opponents should have little room to breathe!

Said pressing can be further enhanced by Tighter Marking or more aggressive tackling but the first one is better set on an individual basis (particularly on the midfielders and wide players) and the latter functionally goes against Glasner's concept – while he uses early blocking and tackling, there is little diving and sliding. Thus there are many duels on the pitch and sometimes quite a few fouls but little cards whereas the match engine generally uses the harder tackling instruction to mean "this is war!"

The Offside Trap is a weird one in this particular setup. It should not work but when all three central players have good mentals, it completely nullifies Poachers and Advanced Forwards as their "open space" is either protected by the centre or is a pretty effective (because just one player controls it) trap.

Edited by Piperita
Link to new version added

#Players

Unless noted all players should have good Work Rate and Stamina. Aggressiveness, Bravery, and Team Work also don't hurt but are usually no dealbreakers.

The Goalkeeper

Not much to say here. In practice he had to play most games with the dedicated #2 Pervan who is a classical and solid goalkeeper and meshes quite well with the back five. However, the nominal #1, Casteels, is a fundamentally different type of keeper who is more active in defending his box and has more interest (and skill) in quickly initiating counter-attacks.

In FM terms this means: Pervan is the good ol' GKd who holds his lines and who either distributes it short to the backline or bolts it long. Meanwhile Casteels is more a SKs who tries to intercept balls and is more inclined to play medium balls to the (running) fullbacks or central midfielders.

Personally, I gravitate toward more toward the classical goalie with the "Distribute to Centre Backs" and "Distribute to Fullbacks" TI checked. Reason being that a good central defender already covers plenty of ground in the box and that a back-first buildup is more secure on average. While that hurts Casteels immensely (Just look at his "Rushing Out" and "Throwing" attributes!), he and his kindred keepers are phenomenal good secondary choices, especially against weaker and better-yet-significantly-slower teams: Against those it is a nice tweak to put both lines to "Much Higher" as that creates enough room between keeper and Centre-Backs again.

The Centrebacks

One of the hearts of Glasner's system and sadly in its first inceptions completely impossible to emulate.

----Let's start with the outer two: They stay wide to receive the ball (often wider than the wingbacks!) and often run a good few yards before passing the ball forwards. They press early but are not constantly engaged, after first disruptions often finding their way back into the line when support arrives from up the pitch.

In FM terms I chose a pair of BPDSt with the PI to stay wider and to press less than the rest of the team. Their role already gives them good engagement and the general level is high - no need to keep them too one-dimensional! Additionally, they got the Trait to "Bring the Ball out of Defence" and PI to stay wider and press less often than the team.

As for main stats, I tend to stick relatively close to the game's suggestions with Positioning and the other mentals being the most important. But I put an extra-focus on acceleration and pace as these players are running quite a bit up and down. Bringing the ball out, pressing and retreating, covering for the wingbacks on counters – It is suicide to play them unless they either are *really* good mentally or have the movement to challenge average wingers (especially on the left side, the right one has some more liberties!)

A good while I thought about an alternative for when using Tisserand who is far more active offensively and covers the space his wingbacks gives him. As an IWBd with the "Runs left" trait and (maybe) an overlap, his offensive movements come close-ish to the real deal but he stays to narrow waiting to receive the ball. Likewise, an FBd (with overlap and "Runs often/left") defends to widely, creating some big spaces in the line on counters.

Therefore I kept his role the same but gave him the trait to run more often and am currently considering teaching him to get forwards more often. But if you want to really go for some asymmetric screens and some fun – go for it!

----The inner player is THE key on hard-fought games. He has to guard the area behind the line and run edge-to-edge when the Fullbacks are too far up and the centreback on this side either has the ball or is stuck far off. He has to receive lots of passes from the back or from defensive players finding no way out so that he can recycle it to the other side. He has to defend against long balls over the line and is responsible of guarding and defending these awfully pacey strikers who overrun the press.

Originally I tried a Libero with the paradoxical traits to stay back and not run with the ball, turning him essentially into a Cover with some creative liberties and some random spurs of forward activity. Unfortunately these "random activities" truly were random (except hen giving him truly godlike stats but where's the fun in that?) and endangered the defensive stability so I went ALL the way back: A CD(cover) who mostly stays back and does his defensive duties while recycling the ball to the players around him.

I also gave him the traits to

• Come Deep: Receive more balls for easy recycling and give him some time for others to get into position before the opponent's press reaches him
  • Dictates Tempo: He is the central heartpiece. He needs the liberty to decide when to hold unto the ball or when to distribute it quickly.

Key stats are: As someone attacking often inside their own box, Positioning, Tackling, Marking, Acceleration/Pace as well as almost ALL the mentals are key. Strength and Balance also don't hurt as he gets into plenty of duels.

The Fullbacks

The left side is pretty standard: Run down the pitch, cross a lot, and arrive late in the box.

So nothing too extra-ordinary besides the fluctuation and types of players Glasner had to use in real life.

---Roussillon is a rather complete player who sadly is not that used to play in this sort of formation. He is quite physical both in offense and defense and his movement is best described as "starting narrow going very wide, running to the byline and when challenged either crossing early or cutting into the sides of the box"

I mapped this roles as such: A WBau with the TI to underlap, the PI to stay narrower and go forwards as well as the Traits to Knock Balls Past Opponents, Play One-Twos, Marking Tighter, Arriving Late in the Box, Going Forward More Often, as well as Running Left. This roughly makes players comparable to the real life role, although this of course depends on some mentals – the more complex a role, the harder to map!

As for attributes, key values for an exact mapping are physicals, good Positioning, Marking, and Dribbling.

---Steffen is an offensive player by heart and it shows. He runs down his lane back and forth, runs aggressively at his opponents, and poses a danger at the flank which creates spaces for the offensive trio.

I mapped him as a CWBs (could have gone Attack but that felt like overkill!) with (optionally) Overlap for the extra push and the Traits to Run Left, Run more Often, Play One-Twos, Get into Opposition Area, as well as Ring Into Channels. So all in all a hyper-offensive player who needs a strong and fast Centreback at his side!

Key attributes are Flair, Dribbling, Off The Ball, as well as Acceleration, Pace, Agility, and Balance – All that helps him move and bring the ball forwards! As for defensive cover, I trust his Speed and Anticipation above any tackling or marking prowess.

--Otavio kinda is a hybrid between these two. Fast and offensively minded but with a classical defending background. Having seen him play only in friendlies, I'd cautiously go "Steffen but without the Traits?"

Left.thumb.png.ca1545bd4422c11db39a8ece1f492705.png

As for the right side, William is the main player so far. He is hard to explain, so have a badly drawn map instead:

So he needs to start narrower and often cut inside but also stay wide at the final third AND run wide under pressure? On top of the problems, Overlap as TI is out because that would stifle the offensive movement. The easiest way would be to have two roles (IWBs and WBs) that randomly switch throughout the game.

When going with a single role, I have the following as main role: Another WBau with the PI to stay narrower and Cross from the Byline. This already ensures his starting position and wide runs. As for his cuts inside, there is some trickery involved that works best with players having a weak left foot: Traits to cut inside often lets them dare venturing inside often but when under pressure they instinctively run wide again as it feels safer only to once again dare it later. For players with a good left foot? "Tries Not to Use Weaker Foot" AND "Plays One-Two" create similar movement but looks kinda awkward...

Key stats are once again the ones relevant for dribbling (Dribbling, Off the Ball, Acceleration, Agility, Balance plus some mentals), crossing, as well as Anticipation – Both William and this role just love to intercept!

An alternative is to go with the IWBs but once again with a weak left foot and the "Not using weak foot" Trait together with something to keep him wider with the ball like "Runs Right". However, to truly get this role to behave it *needs* the overlap and then the AMR needs to be more offensive-minded which would facilitate a lot more changes! The IWBs has the effect it more closely mirrors William's contacts but sadly otherwise the WB looks more like the real deal.

---Meanwhile Mbabu plays more conservative and almost like a WBd (WBau with "Holds Position" PI and "Arrives Late" Trait) at times who only really goes forwards late. This in turns allows for an more aggressive AMR in front of him. Stat-wise he is more bulky and less focussed on dribbling. He also is a more classical Wingback who does not cut inside or something like that ;)

Right.thumb.png.9ec136ed1254fa19be214642327dfa98.png

Edited by Piperita

The Midfield Two

All players here MUST have the trait to dictate the tempo. The middle triangle with them and the CDco is a powerful weapon to have!  They also should have some strength (both for tackles and to have more natural powerful shots).

As the only two central players (unless going with the IWBs as WBR), they have a variety of duties. They need to bridge the gap between offense and defense. They need to be the first wave in defense and the second in attack. So in short: They need a wide skillset to cover all three phases of play!

This means roles that cover lots of spaces and players with the mentals, Positioning, Off the Ball, Work Rate and Team Work to contribute everywhere anytime

After some consideration, I filled the spots with three types of players with two more I am currently testing.

1. Carrilero. A prime choice for the left spot, especially when utilising "The Steffen" on left. He covers his area and has a strong horizontal movement. Often overlooked by the engine with somewhat bad ratings, he nonetheless plays a very importing role in guarding the back and dictating the game from wider positions

2. Box to Box. Similar to the Carrilero but vertically instead of horizontally minded. Strong movement, can be easily tweaked to either take more creative liberties, to run more, or attack from deep, it is an all-purpose role! It also helps a lot to reak defenses that neutralise the front four because he often is in position to shot from range when balls are deflected or your front players have to pass backwards.

As for traits, there are two big combinations: "Comes Deep"/"Gets into Area" vs. "Gets Forward"/"Arrives Late". The first gives the role an even longer vertical range, gives it some additional aggressiveness and makes the player more suited to also sub for the DLP role. Meanwhile the second helps with the dreaded one-shot opportunities as speciality.

3. DLPs. I took lots of times to accept this role as it generates a bit too much possession for my tastes but sadly with the right traits it is a perfect Schlager representation. Dictates the game from deep, has the nature to operate in a clearly defined pocket but just loves to break it at opportune moments. The traits in question to make it work are "Comes deep to get Ball" and "Gets into Opposition Area" which gives this role a special edge"! Together with some DLPs traits (I often dub "The Tonali") like trying killer balls, switching flanks or trying long range passes he is a dangerous weapon to have. Add One-Twos to further help his movement traits and you have a pretty complete player!

Right now all three roles can play on the left and all but the CAR are available on the right.

The two roles I am testing: "The Guilavogui" as BWMs who tackles aggressively for balls and goes where it hurts but is more subdued offensively. Mostly necessary because Josh now plays in the center in real life after Schlager's unfortunate injury. [As well as a RPM who is essentially what I morphed the DLPs into.]

The Offensive Players

One thing to consider is that the three players on the pitch should be similar in Flair and Teamwork. This is because these three players are the offensive brain and are to enact a free-flowing game with high movement and fluidity.

While their Traits (3*Area, 3*Plays One-Two, 2*Comes Deep) and roles (2*Support, 1*Attack) play a big part in that, I personally like to have them have 14+ Team Work and 17+ Flair – With that they are expressive enough that you can check the "Be more disciplined" TI which really closes the door defensively without hindering the offensive flow too much.

Should they have low Flair, it might be necessary to go for the "Be more expressive" TI to really get the front three going. In that case it might be wise to reduce the mentality a bit to not get too adventurous.

Halfspaces

Like posted in the opening, I have decided to map the half-space players by some minor asymmetry, opting for a AMR and a AMCL where the AMR stays narrower and the AMCL stays wider. I also often give them the PI to mark the opposition's fullback. This both better maps the pressing scheme, it also gives them some interesting movement: On counters they start wider and quickly run inwards which often draws fullbacks inwards or centrebacks outwards.

I created some further functional asymmetry by having one role be hyper-offensive and one be more subdued, kinda like a free-moving pseudo playmaker. As I often switch who plays what, players here should be able to play both positions!

The pseudo-playmaker has the ever-good combination of "Comes Deep" and "Gets into Area" together with Killer Balls and One-Twos. Judging by their half-spaciness, "Moves into Channels" also doesn't hurt but is not a necessity. As for traits, cross-train them as APa once they are good at their main position and they should be plenty rounded after a while

Meanwhile the offensive part lacks the "Comes Deep" and "Killer Balls" traits. They also should have some extra levels of Aggressiveness and Work Rate because in my experience this type of player is perfect to press early and then start quick transitions.

The roles I chose mostly had to fulfill three rules: Non-playmakers who run into channels and whose width can be set. This essentially already limited me to few choices

------------Support--------------Attack--------
-------------------------------------------------------
AMC-----AM(Support)-------AM(Attack)---
-------------------------------------SS(Attack)----
-------------------------------------------------------
AMR-----IF(Support)---------IF(Attack)------
-------------------------------------RMD(Attack)--

On the attacking side I picked the Shadow Striker centrally for his extra natural aggressiveness. Weirdly enough this role only was my fourth most scoring (and scoring+assisting) player after his offensive teammates and the BBM but his value can not be underestimated as I scored a lot of goals from him winning back balls at the front that then went wide to the IF who subsequently sent the striker running. Orchestrated by the Shadow Striker but no scorer points!

On the wide area I simply picked both. The Raumdeuter is essentially Klaus in the preseason and as I love this role for crosstraining anyway (those mentals!) my players should be suited to it. The IF on the other hand is more involved in playing the ball and thus binding defenders so the SS and striker can move around and spew chaos all over the box.

Striker

Wout, Wout, Wout. A player who runs and fights and bites...and can only barely be replicated by upping his stats so much England comes knocking and Lewandowski will never again make a record.

His main focus is to press the entire game and hold the ball deep for his wide-ish teammates and then appear in the box for a finish. He also is tall and bulky. And is known to run down half the pitch just to slide ball and opponent alike over the side line.

So purely in terms of real life, his traits should be the following:

• Comes Deep
  • Gets into Area
  • [Plays one-twos]
  • Dives into tackles

But he is quite slow and the game expects some speed for productive presses. And having such a big man run over half the pitch to dive into an opponent he reaches from the back? Not a good idea!

The roles I tried where the following: DLF, PF, TM. All both as Support and Attack. The support roles had the Deep+Area combination, the attack roles played half the games vanilla, half with "Arrives Late" as well as some extra games the same way as the support roles.

General Support:

Pro: General movement
Con: Does not move into spaces or chases wide balls.

General Attack:

Pro: Chases balls, scores well
Con: Limited depth of movement, often shoots too early

DLFs

Pro:    Good vertical movement. Scores pretty well. Involves teammates so they too have good scorecards. Somewhat uses height.
Con:    Presses too little. Often waits a bit too long before shots (waiting for passing options?) "First Time Shots" mitigates this by a lot but takes him a good bit away from the real player.

DLFa

Pro:   Okay movement. Involves teammates. Uses height
Con:  Presses too little, he and the Shadow Striker confuse each other.

TMs

Pro:    Good, also wide movement. Uses his height. Involves his wide teammates. Low Pressing
Con:   Too many high balls. Too much focus on him. High Pressing

TMa

Pro:    Good, also wide movement. Uses his height. Involves his wide teammates, particularly the IFa. Lots of goals
Con:   Too many high balls. Too much focus on him. High Pressing.

PFs

Pro:    Presses exceptionally well and realistically. Amazing movement. Good amount of goals
Con:   Needs really good passing/vision/mentals to really send his teammates going – One-Two helps through involvement but that requires speed the original lacks. Needs a good amount of pace to have more success than merely hurrying opponents.

PFa

Pro:     Presses and moves well. Scoring machine.
Con:    Hurts his attacking team mate because he is a tad too offensive. Needs some pace in the engine.

I mostly played with a DLFs. Sure, there was a bit too little pressing but he just moved and assisted so, so well!

However, lately I remembered an old quick fix: The PFa but with Coming Deep, Arriving Late and (and this is the most important) Running Rarely. This way he runs after loose balls, often comes deep (but not always as that clashes with a PI) and involves his mates more as when cornered he plays short fluid passes to close partners as he is disincentivized to try to play himself out of it. Time to get back to the testing board!

Edited by Piperita

#Summary

[large image to follow]

#Training

Goalkeeper

Just go for whatever their "Rushing Out" and "Acceleration" says. When it is high, train him as Sweeper Keeper(Support), otherwise go for the classical goalkeeper. Both should have some focus on controlling their box – Jumping, Aerial Reach, Command of Area. If your Sweeper is lacking there, train him classically for a month or two!

Left Wingback

Go with their main position.

Outer Centrebacks

If they have Talent to spare, train them as Libero(Support) at least during the regular season as this trains their movement which helps enormously in bringing the ball out of the line! Otherwise stay with BPDSt but add some individual Speed training!

Central defender

Go with their main position

Right Wingback

I usually go half-and-half: Half the season WBs, half the season IWBs: This role needs good crossing but also the technical focus of the IWB. Usually I do this by training them in their playing position during the preseason and winter break and setting the individual focus to the other position during the regular season.

Midfielders

Once the dedicated DLP has above average stats, I usually train him as RPM which is just insanely complete and adds to their movement and gives them some BBM cross-training on the side.

The CAR and BBM should have the base stats to properly play both these positions. After that I like to focus either on their creative side (train RPM) or their defensive one (when lacking mentals BWM, when lacking bulk CMd).

Offensive Halfspace

Besides their playing position (SS or IFa) I like to add in a month or two each of training as Raumdeuter and Wide Target Man. The first adds a lot to the scoring prowess and the all-ruling mentals whereas the WTM focuses a lot on bulk and strength which is always nice to have. When low on flair, Treq or AP are both nice choices for a while.

Support Halfspace

Like their offensive brethren, Raumdeuter and WTM are nice additions to their skillset. Otherwise I usually with Treq as main training focus (Or RMD/WTM/APa together) as I like to use them as a hybrid between pseudo-playmaker and secondary striker.

Striker

The PFa has a good spread between mentals, movement and most importantly Work Rate. Add in a bit of DLFa for the passing and minor bulk and it usually suffices. For more professional, injury-resistant strikers add in a few weeks of Strength training as well and you create a beast! Just a shame the striker is not meant to dribble, otherwise the CFa would tick all the boxes :(

Edited by Piperita

You forget one of the most important traits of Glassnerball: the outer centerbacks step up and helps the press when the ball is lost. That is tough to do in this game (two HBs on the side??) without getting in defense hell.

I'm more leaning on using 2 wingers if I were you. When the ball is lost, the wingers act like wingers. When they are won, they lack like #10 going into the channels often

Edited by Jean0987654321

Really good read, which got me doing some more research on Glasners tactics, it might not be strictly accurate but do you think that you could mirror the 3-4-3 he uses irl by having the 3 in the AM slots, my thinking was an AmC who drops deep and 2 shadow strikers running off him.

Just after I finally posted it an eternity after planning to, there is the first loss and how a horrific one it was :(

On 29/10/2019 at 22:01, Jean0987654321 said:

You forget one of the most important traits of Glassnerball: the outer centerbacks step up and helps the press when the ball is lost. That is tough to do in this game (two HBs on the side??) without getting in defense hell.

I'm more leaning on using 2 wingers if I were you. When the ball is lost, the wingers act like wingers. When they are won, they lack like #10 going into the channels often

For the way Wolfsburg plays it, the Stopper duty already help the press aplenty and restrict the rooms enough so that they can either tackle or force a back pass. Part of it might be neither Knoche (Speed) nor Brooks (Agility) being the most mobile players — Tisserand's runs and movement look quite different, for example. 

Once 20 drops I might try the Halfback version — Casteels is mobile and there is a Cover for extra central protection. Plus, I do not need to completely retrain Josh. I just hope they do the proper horizontal movements in the build-up phase! 

--------

My plan was to try the IW in 20. Right now it is in my top 3 of roles and comes close to what I need further up the pitch. Unfortunately the pure winger, especially without an AMC or MEZa, is hard to get to move right. Even extreme cases like Pavon (Cuts inside + Channels + trained to also get into area) does too often stay too wide or takes too long to get into the box. Add a tower up front like Weghorst and the game becomes a crossing fest. 

23 hours ago, pezza96 said:

Really good read, which got me doing some more research on Glasners tactics, it might not be strictly accurate but do you think that you could mirror the 3-4-3 he uses irl by having the 3 in the AM slots, my thinking was an AmC who drops deep and 2 shadow strikers running off him.

This completely broke FM17 :)

I think over the weekend (if there's no beta) I might try it again with some good customisation — the Shadow Strikers are pushed into the proper half-spaces by the man in the middle and are such an aggressive role they should win quite a few balls back. If the man in the middle is at least somewhat mobile vertically, it should be a nice pocket up front! 

It is just not going with the current Wolfsburg setup because Weghorst is a a complete tower who presses too high up the pitch and is the main scorer. It might be interesting to see how he plays it when the big man is out! 

On 29/10/2019 at 21:42, Johnny Ace said:

Excellent! Very well thought out & explained, I'll be keeping tabs on the updates, it sounds very interesting :applause:

Thanks! If I'm lucky I'll have some good seasons over the weekend and will have some pictures and an update to the midfielders ready. Otherwise it will probably take till '20 because I'll try to stay away from my team in the beta!

Interesting stuff.  I started my Newcastle save last nite with a very similar set up.  Like you, I want my AMCL Almiron and my AMR StMaximin to play the same way but have not quite identified how I want to play Joelinton.  

Also my midfield two has yet to be hashed out.  I'm thinking of S Longstaff as a B2B and Hayden as a CMd but am also toying with playing Longstaff with Shelvey as a DLPs

Will be following this.

• 1 month later...

After a long time with my Lautern- and Hertha saves carried over from the beta, I just got back to this :)

First impression...thank goodness I have the editor! Wait, that wasn't it — thank goodness there is the IW role in the outer AM-slots! This role really gives the system the additional punch, especially with someone like Weghorst up front.

Right now my two systems go like this: 

If I am the better team

• Right Wingback as right-footed IWBs set to overlap
  • Midfield with DLP on left and RPM on right
  • Wingers set to IFa (left) and IWs (right)
  • Striker as DLFs, preferrably with Comes Deep/Gets into Area/One-Two. Otherwise as DLFa

If I am the worse team

• Midfield with BWMd (or BWMs with 'Hold Position' if it is close in strength) and BBM. Instead of a BBM a DLPs who switches balls to the opposite flank and can dictate the game also is a good option if (and only if) he is a top player.
  • Wingers set to IWa and IWs 
  • Striker as PFa. Good TMa also work because this role rocks with the right player ever since they stopped attracting every high ball but PFa are more angaged with low ball. Except...I never get PFa to score 1-v-1 :P

My only problem right now is that Weghorst broke like everything early February so I'll have to improvise something new for a half-season. 

• 5 months later...

Yeah, I am bad at following up on stuff :D

My half-finished season from the last update got discarded when I was busy tinkering with Raumdeuters at Augsburg, the no-instruction Diamond and whatever I had in mind with the wide Christmas Tree. But if there is one thing Covid is good for, it is creating plenty of free time and so much football withdrawal I finally came back and binged two seasons.

I guess I'm rewriting the opening throughout the weekend (or just hiding it behind spoiler-tags) so that the new version for the new update of the new game (did I really start in 19 with this concept?) is more visible than the version that was barely usable in 20.

The FM20-version:

1868934729_VfLWolfsburg_Overview.thumb.png.0ee1d1c794eb377aceb663d466f609a5.png

PI:
WBau
: Stay narrower, Get Forward more often. Main reason is to give this role a bit more possession to better mimic Williams IRL.
CMs: Hold Position, More Risks. Essentially a DLPs who does not attract the Ball. I need an outlet in the middle, someone covering the WBa, and someone playing the big balls.
IWs and IWa: Stay narrower, man-mark Fullback: In Possession I want them closer to the center as this is what happens IRL but I like them to cut inside extra aggressively on the break!

Regarding the roles, the wingers are somewhat tailored to my main players. The IWs is usually Brekalo who is fairly selfish and cuts inside more due to his PPMs. This makes the IW act more like an IF who is less averse to crossing. When I use Mehmedi, I *sometimes* use him as IFs as he has high Work Rate and Teamwork and thus still works well in the team. Similarly on the right I have Steffen (super aggressive, high Work Rate, good Teamwork) and my newcomer Victor Fischer who also has a somewhat selfish streak. Like Brekalo Fischer is plenty of aggressive as IWa and is sees the overlapping WB more as an option than a must. Steffen (and to a lesser extent Victor) sometimes play as IFx to cut better and harder inside and they are both more inclined to give the Ball to the WB or BBM for a slower ball.

For distribution, I originally played with "Distribute to Fullback", "Distribute to Centreback" and "Play Out of Defense". This helped in keeping the possession percentage closer to RL but was not quite as effective and the passing numbers are still looking good, it is just the duration of possession that loses three points or so.

I like the risk-vs-reward of going extreme in pressing and somehow it worked splendidly for me. Lesser Teams or teams not fully suited for heavy pressing should better choose less risky pressing options. Like reduced lines, split-blocks, or something like that.

Two seasons down, it works marvelous and if I ever find the heart to let Wout go for a faster striker, it should work even better! First season I just barely lost the title due to Bayern doing Bayern things (but 81 points and 74-12 goals isn't anything to be ashamed of!) and failed in Europe due to Russian Winters. But as almost always I won the Cup. In the second season with some new players and new PPMs and good training I got 88 points with 86-8 goals, the Cup, and lsot in the CL-Quarters against Barca in penalties after my goalkeeper missed the 11th round.

To gauge how much was player's luck and how much was the tactic, I got my 4th League reserve team editor'd into the playable third league. For a team that should not play there, they got 1.9 pts/game and 2.1 pts/game respectively. My Youths also won everything but Wolfsburg is known for having youth players who are primed for this competition (and sadly not that much afterwards)!

What personally impressed me most was how even goal and assist distributions where. On the assist-location tab, the values for left, right, centre and short where all roughly equal with less than four goals coming from far. Similarly, the three big assist types (set pieces, crosses, through balls) where all around 30% first season with 10% for the rest. Second season I managed to get the standards down in favour of some more short passes and forced mistakes (probably mainly because Ginczek and Fischer played a whole lot more up front)

As for who scored and who assisted, I have the following table in rounded percentages:

Goals--Assists--CHC
CD---08-------02--------05 
WB--10-------29--------27    WBa 3 times more goals as WBs
CM--12-------20--------12    BBM more CHC, otherwise roughly equal*
IW---35-------41--------40    IWa 2 times more CHC as IWs
PF    36-------09--------15   

*Arnold is the big equaliser with his initially 15 for Long Shots. He scored in both positions as he liked. As did Camacho in the second half of S1 (strength rocks!). Gerhardt and Schlager both scored comparatively little, despite getting an equal amount of shots.

Three roughly equal groups of goalscorers: Striker, Wingers, Everyone Else. Two big groups of assist givers: Offensive Trio and The Rest. The same for created chances. I like that! Initially I feared I'd recreate the total Wout-Fest but the wingers really pulled their weight and the wingbacks are not THE big factor and the CMs hold everything together at the back and the front. I like that!

Regarding opponents, I somehow can't handle Köln (Cologne) and personally have really hard times against Dortmund but the latter is easily beat by this tactics when holidaying or simulating through the match. Both are primarily using 4-2-3-1 and I guess it has something to do with their superior numbers in midfield but that does not explain why the computer doesn't care about that ^^

Edited by Piperita
Image placement